Jets HQ: A big shift in the power dynamics, culture, & philosophy?

17 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

That Rodgers has clearly been cut out of the personnel process is the story of the offseason. RE: Saleh, one of Woody’s comments this offseason was that Saleh was going to have to coach the whole team. Notable that they wouldn’t do the overpay for Clowney and let Whitehead walk, even if they did give Kinlaw $7 million. 

Less Golf! More Film! 

That will be replacing All Gas- No Brakes!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Less Golf! More Film! 

That will be replacing All Gas- No Brakes!

I think they took this slogan of the front door at Florham Park

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

That Rodgers has clearly been cut out of the personnel process is the story of the offseason. RE: Saleh, one of Woody’s comments this offseason was that Saleh was going to have to coach the whole team. Notable that they wouldn’t do the overpay for Clowney and let Whitehead walk, even if they did give Kinlaw $7 million. 

Yep, and then there's this gem from Woody..

"We have all this talent, and we have to deploy talent properly"

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

RE: Saleh, one of Woody’s comments this offseason was that Saleh was going to have to coach the whole team.

This would help explain why’re acting like a team that plans to run the ball 600 times next year despite giving up a sh*tload of picks and money for Rodgers.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

This would help explain why’re acting like a team that plans to run the ball 600 times next year despite giving up a sh*tload of picks and money for Rodgers.

Relying on the running game is the easiest way to protect Aaron Rodgers.  That’s why they went nuts drafting running backs

• Upvote 4

46 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

I think this might be looking too deeply into the reasoning behind some of these moves. 

Anything less than throwing the kitchen sink @ the o line would’ve been irresponsible for JD, Saleh and Rodgers. 

Huff wasn’t going to stay because he wanted a different scheme/more playing time and a fatty contract. Saleh still got Kinlaw and Reddick. Add to that the defense had been invested heavily in the past few seasons, and is already elite. There’s just not much else needed there. 

The Power v Zone run game is more of a function of the pieces we have now and the situation we’re in - Simpson, Moses, no more Lafleur, and every other piece is scheme versatile (seemingly) on the line. 

Add to that, last year was such a media circus with 8’s arrival, that of course everyone in the org was more bombastic. Now, after having just been shellshocked 4 plays in, these MF’ers, whether it’s Saleh, Rodgers or JD, know their future in the league is on the line - so don’t talk, just produce. 

The only really weird thing I see is the double RB on day 3. Other than that, everything else has been reasonably predictable - we knew it’d be pass catcher/o-line days 1 & 2. We knew JFM was a potential cap casualty. 

That’s a bit silly to think that they just up and signed Simpson and traded for Moses and were like “Welp, guess we are a gap team now because of the pieces”.  They clearly had a plan to move to that and have acquired specific pieces to do so.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

33 minutes ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

Relying on the running game is the easiest way to protect Aaron Rodgers.  That’s why they went nuts drafting running backs

The draft is a crap shoot.  If you double down on big brusing RB's then your chances of one of them panning out doubles as well.  Belt and suspenders, guys, belt and suspenders.  That was my take once they drafted the 2nd guy.     

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

12 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

I’ll add another thing.  Woody said at the owners meeting that he wants to draft offense.  He said ‘offense, offense offense’. So then douglas drafts a LT, wr, 2 rbs and a qb.  Now that’s a shift. 

But was Woody in JD's ear or was JD in Woody's ear.  I prefer to see Woody as the Parrot here.  

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

i dont think Saleh has lost influence. i just think the defense is pretty good and has enough 1st, 2nd and 3rd rd picks.

Saleh has proven he can coach defense and turn UDFAs like Huff, Adams and P.S guys like QW in good players. and if you havent notice we did sign alot of defensive guys today in UDFA. Saleh should turn a few into good players.

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

That’s a bit silly to think that they just up and signed Simpson and traded for Moses and were like “Welp, guess we are a gap team now because of the pieces”.  They clearly had a plan to move to that and have acquired specific pieces to do so.

I'm not sure what came first - the desire to switch or the necessity to, given the crop of players available.

Even if we signed our first choice, Jonah Jackson, I believe he's primarily a gap blocker, but like were there many zone guards or tackles available in free agency this year? It's like George Fant and Jon Runyan jr that might have fit that?

Ezra Cleveland was traded, so maybe him too. But it seems like there were a lot more non-zone players. 

• the defense is basically older, and they lost JFM and Whitehead, and gained Reddick.   They did not draft anyone for the defense.  But hopefully it is easier for them to play defense if the offense is better.  
  • I don’t know exactly what Saleh’s problem should be.  
  • The Jets really did not pay that much for Rodgers in terms of draft picks and money, when compared to market, if he was a top QB.  He obviously was not that last year.  If he plays well, he is a bargain.  
  • After 4 years of extreme financial discipline, the Jets now have 20+% of their cap space used by Dead Cap charges.  The fact that the roster is as good as it is is somewhat remarkable, but part of that has to do with Rodgers cap hit being very deferred.  
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Just my views.  Could be wrong.  Vision has worsened as I hit my 40s.

1. JD seems to have taken more control of the key decision making

2. Some of his draft picks suggest he might be less at risk than others

3. Rodgers & Saleh's influence on personnel appears significantly smaller 

4. Has JD grown a pair?

Example 1:  Mosley took a real pay cut, something that should have but didn't happen last year

Example 2:  JFM was unceremoniously traded for peanuts.  Did he refuse a pay cut?

Example 3:  Clear shift to a power running game and away from the SF zone 'system'

5. Less system based rigidity on defense & offense? 

Example 1:  Sauce's announcement he will follow the opponent's #1 WR

Example 2:  Addition of Reddick, who opens up pass rushing options including 5 man fronts w/ JJ, McDonald & Reddick (as a LB) on the field at the same time

Example 3:  Addition of players like Corley who will likely require more pre-snap motion

6. More emphasis on guys who are competitors.  Mike Williams' contested catch rate, Malachi Corley's YAC, the kid earning an opportunity from the CFL

7. A developmental QB who brings smarts, winning/clutch DNA, and leadership traits.  And who can sit a couple years ..

8. A quieter, humbler Saleh who looks less in charge and more taking cues from someone else

Anyone else seeing this stuff?  Other stuff?

No. It’s just you and a few others hoping things turn out the way you want. (Nothing wrong with that though)

On Saleh being kicked down a notch and change in philosophy -- you can see on both sets of doors, the exit and entrance to 1 JD, they now have the new Jets logo, which replaces Saleh's Mantra "All Gas No Brakes" that was there before. It's hard to see in white but I definitely noticed it.

image.png.7aba4ff504637c70b925cca8036bcb98.pngimage.png.693b9a609f828a9efd17f0b0dba9e347.png

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, Vader said:

On Saleh being kicked down a notch and change in philosophy -- you can see on both sets of doors, the exit and entrance to 1 JD, they now have the new Jets logo, which replaces Saleh's Mantra "All Gas No Brakes" that was there before. It's hard to see in white but I definitely noticed it.

image.png.7aba4ff504637c70b925cca8036bcb98.pngimage.png.693b9a609f828a9efd17f0b0dba9e347.png

Technically Saleh removed the motto with the play on the field. Nothing but red lights lol.

• Haha 3

12 hours ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

1. JD seems to have taken more control of the key decision making

I think he’s always been in full control. I don’t blame him for accommodating Rodgers with Lazard and Cobb. I’m glad he picked a tackle at 10 and didn’t short-sight the franchise by picking a TE.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Maxman said:

Technically Saleh removed the motto with the play on the field. Nothing but red lights lol.

The slogan can stay, but with the way the Jets play, they have to re-do the punctuation...

ALL GAS? NO, BREAKS. 

• Haha 2