With a draft class set to provide little contribution in '24, the NY Jets need to turn to the '23 draft class to find success this season

I think it's fair to say we need McDonald to make an impact for this team. Will he? I dunno. Hopefully he's been busting his ass in the gym because he was fairly invisible last year.

Tippman is clearly our starting center going forward.

Not sure if anyone else in the 2023 class is going to make any impact. The drafting of two RBs feels like an indictment of Izzy who I'd assume is dumb and/or lazy and isn't picking up pass pro etc.

As far as 2024 class -- I'd be very surprised if Corley and Allen didn't make an immediate impact. Regardless of how you perceive them as talents Corley is clearly in the offensive plans and Allen will slot into the Shonn Green RB2 "hammer" roll immediately.

Fashanu will almost certainly start games for us next year, although obviously his greatest impact is long term.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

This is the latest Actually This Draft Was Good And Made Sense talking point

“I bet you didn’t know Reddit user @JetsSuperGuyFan looked at some tape and thinks Davis can play fullback” doesn’t fill me with confidence. No. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

A few thoughts, worth 3 cents on a good day.

1. There seems to be a pretty big overreaction to day 3 of the draft.  A day that is essentially a number of dart throws and where any success besides Special Teams is typically realized in years 2 or 3.

2. On day 3, JD prioritized immediately fixing a glaring short yardage hole and preserving the legs of maybe the best player on our team in Breece Hall.  Was drafting 2 big backs probably overkill?  Check back in December.

BTW, this helps the team this year!

3. You cannot say no rookies will contribute out of 1 side of your mouth and then say the FAs will get hurt out of the other.  We invested in Fashanu because we expect Smith to miss a few games and not practice all the time.

4. We needed a starting Slot and the Jets believe they found 1 in round 3.  I personally like the approach of getting a unique YAC guy rather than the 15th rated traditional WR.

5. Part of the reason the draft isn’t scattered with instant starters is because of the work JD did pre draft.  

1.  They had 3 picks in the 4th round, there was plenty of 2nd round projected talent, still on the board.  I disagree it's dart throwing in the 4th round.  There is still talent.  St. Brown was a 4th rounder, Hill was a 4th rounder....we got some very useful starts out Carter in the 4th round.  Michael Carter w/ a 4th rounder, Bilal Powell was a 4th rounder.  I get they made 1 into a future 3 but I would have preferred them use those picks rather then just come away w/ a RB and I hate that NE landed Javon Baker in the round.  

2.  "Glaring short yardage hole"  wtf is that?  lol   You dont spend picks on a short yardage RB.  lol  I would think that a better interior line would make a bigger difference in short yardage.  Or just got get Kareem Hunt.  Dude had double the rushing TDs than Hall.  He's monster in short yardage.

3. You're right, I cant because I dont have crystal ball but on paper, assuming all goes as planned, it sure looks that way.  And again, Carter Warren played fine for 5 games.  The OL looked it's best all season long w/ him in there and he was a rookie.  So I dont think this "Smith will miss a game or 2 and then that pick is realized" is a thing.

4.  As I've said Corley has the best chance to make a contribution this year. 

5.  Fair.  I accept the roster is pretty strong, even if some are oft-injured players or 1 year rentals.  It is a strong roster.  It just seemed as though, the way the Jets were positioned, and the way this draft was going to and pretty much did fall, they could have addressed what I think are like actual, legit, immediate holes and not what if type holes ie: TE, IOL, S, LB.  Obviously T and WR were needs, I just thought they went about it in an interesting way, that I personally, would not have done.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1

13 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Good take. What the Jets are trying to pull off this year is next to impossible and they’re already set to implode in 2025. It’s cool that Douglas was boxed in and decided to use the picks to alleviate some of that 2025 stress, but by not showing any urgency in this draft—and bungling last year’s—he’s got  one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel. For guys like Olu and Braelon Allen to contribute in 2024, terrible things have to have happened to crucial starters in Tyron and Breece. As good as Olu might be in the future the book on him is that he’s probably not ready for the physicality of the NFL game yet. If Hall goes down, the offense is going to hell because Hall is special and Izzy and Allen are very much not special. Can Corley contribute in a meaningful way this year? We know Rodgers 1. Hates rookies and 2. Doesn’t like to throw in the middle of the field—especially to rookies he doesn’t trust—because it leads to INTs.  

I think everything depends on the Jets having the ball more. I’m fine with taking a back line Allen. This draft kind of sucked so I’m not too ticked. Past drafts yes, just total incompetence. But the roster should compete if Rodgers can stay vertical and be at least 70% of what he’s been. 

Corley seems like a guy that they try and feed early but won’t end up working. 

Zach is gone which messed everything up to begin with. The offense started working at the end of the year with Simien, who’s very bad. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, JustInFudge said:

I know all the talk right now is about this class and understood, it's fresh but either way you slice it, even if you disagree it was underwhelming, the truth is this draft class will have a very limited impact on the success of the '24 season.  And while JD went hog wild in FA, we all know that never works out, so temper you expectations for an often injured FA class.  So where do the Jets get a lift?  They'll get the biggest lift this season, from the '23 draft class, who many bemoaned because it wasnt a good enough in a "win now" season, but somehow are comfortable w/ this class but I digress.   Lets look at how the '23 class are going to help the '24 Jets.

The Jets need Will McDonald to have a JJ like offseason and come into this season ready to be a dominant pass rusher.  I'm extremely confident in Will McDonald's ability and think he will live up to expectations, but it's almost a mandatory must happen for this team since it will be replacing not just Jefferson and Huff but also now, JFM.  That is a lot of QB hurries and sacks off this team and while Reddick is obviously a huge add, he's just one dude.  The Jets absolutely need Will McDonald to have a break out season.

The other major factor from that draft who is a Jets fan favorite because he quite possibly has the greatest hairdo of all time, is a man some call Joe, his parents call him Joseph but us die hard Jets fans affectionally know him as, Tippy.  Tippy had a very promising rookie season, after not playing the first 2 games on offense at all, he was basically a permanent starter the rest of the season only missing a few games due to injury.  He did leave week 18 due to an ankle injury, not sure how bad it was/is but the Jets need a healthy Tippy to start the season and to play as many as snaps as possible since the Jets are razor thin at depth in IOL.  Very curious not take some of freaky RAS IOL guys and instead grab 2 RB's when they drafted Izzy last season, but I digress.   Maybe then can go offer to bring back Connor McGovern on a 1 year deal for some depth but either way, the Jets need Tippy to step up big and really help anchor the offensive line.  The Jets have a proud history of talented Centers, here is to hoping Tippy can follow suit!

I know JD is super duper happy w/ his decision to draft 2 RB's because the RB room is super cool now but I have no earthly idea what his line of thinking is when it comes to the RB position.  The RB room, was super duper cool last season w/ Hall, Carter, Izzy and Bam, there was no need for that worthless turd, Dalvin Cook.  Instead of sticking w/ a very solid RB room, he tore it apart, cutting Bam for Cook, trading MC for some stupid reason and then using 2 draft picks on RB's.  Izzy, a home run threat, was an ascending player in college and looking to really find his rhythm.  The one game he got to tot it a bit, he looked fine but what does JD do?  He goes trades all his 4th round picks for a single RB, who say what you will about, is a kid that has been a descending player since his freshman season, over necessary depth at IOL over even help and depth at S.  Taking another one was just bonkers.  I dont know what to make of this situation, but it feels like the Jets need Izzy to be a legit #2 as these rookies find there way in the NFL, especially if the worst case scenario happens and the Jets are w/out Hall for any amount of time.

Carter Warren.  Really impressed toward the end of last season when the line was playing it's best.  I know the Fashanu pick pushes Warren down the depth chart, which is fine but when you sign often injured T's, you need guys who can step in and play w/out concern.  You may think the Fashanu is the greatest pick ever and a 15 year starter in the NFL and that's great!  Good for you!  But there is difference between and hope and knowledge.  We have knowledge that Warren can play in the NFL.  We will find out if that's the case w/ Fashanu.

Barnes, JCB and Kuntz, whatever, cant rely on 6th and 7th round picks for anything so whatever but hopefully the Jets can find some depth w/ these 3.  

IMO the Jets approached this draft like a team that thinks they're really good.  Not sure why but it is what it is but in order for this team to live up to those lofty expectations, they will need key contributions from their '23 draft class.  The only place I could see someone from this class really pushing anyone is maybe Corley pushes Lazard for some playing time but I got a feeling Rodgers favorite teammate of all time, will get his head out of his ass and bounce back w/ his boo at the helm.  That said, on paper, Corley possess a skill that Lazard lacks, which could be where the Jets see lift from the '24 class.  Fun to keep an eye on but what you really need to keep an eye on is how that '23 draft class develops and provides contributions to this team.

And you have NO idea how much this draft class will offer.  ZERO.  

Nobody thought we would be relying on Zach Wilson 10 minutes into the season.

What if Smith goes down in the first game?  We will be relying on Fashanu alot.

Breece goes down, Williams isn't quite ready.  There are so many factors that you or anyone else has answers to. 

How about we let the season play out before we criticize it.  Its the resting position for a majority of Jets fans, so many will feel right at home IF the season is a wash.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I think it's fair to say we need McDonald to make an impact for this team. Will he? I dunno. Hopefully he's been busting his ass in the gym because he was fairly invisible last year.

Tippman is clearly our starting center going forward.

Not sure if anyone else in the 2023 class is going to make any impact. The drafting of two RBs feels like an indictment of Izzy who I'd assume is dumb and/or lazy and isn't picking up pass pro etc.

As far as 2024 class -- I'd be very surprised if Corley and Allen didn't make an immediate impact. Regardless of how you perceive them as talents Corley is clearly in the offensive plans and Allen will slot into the Shonn Green RB2 "hammer" roll immediately.

Fashanu will almost certainly start games for us next year, although obviously his greatest impact is long term.

I think Will McDonald has a double digit sack season.  He's the only gumby bending like pass rusher on the team and he was getting to the QB on limited reps last year.  I mentioned this in another draft, he essentially had the same type of year Huff did before his breakout season and he was more productive than JJ was as a rookie on 150 less snaps.  Saleh has been able to develop these guys and I'm not quite sure he's had anyone like Will yet.   Assuming, as you say, he's working his ass off like JJ did last offseason.

Good point on Izzy and JD did say something about the RB room being pretty cool, so it's possible they're not sold on him right now and this creates some meaningful competition, just not the approach I would have taken.

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, JustInFudge said:

Nobody said the suck, you weirdo.  I'm talking about how last year class needs to step up. 

lmfao

are you ok? 

Biggest crybaby on the board that does NOTHING but whine about Jet fans and defend weirdos like Jamal Adams. He’s so ******* bizarre. 

• Upvote 1

1. Most draft classes provide minimal impact the year they are drafted. 2022 for the Jets is an obvious exception, but that's mainly because they had FOUR (4) of first 36 picks. 

2. Olu is going to play a lot this year. The OL will sustain injuries. If you think otherwise, I want whatever drugs you're taking.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, it seems pretty obvious that teams need their early round picks to step up and contribute in Year 2.  They aren't being drafted to fill out rosters, they are being drafted to form the foundations of teams.

I fully expect McDonald and Tippman to have major roles this season.  And they both showed last year that they can be productive players when given the chance.

This "provide little contribution" narrative for this year's draft class is going to look silly by Week 8 when Fashanu is protecting Rodgers' blindside after Smith inevitably goes down, Corley is turning bubble screens into 15 yard chunk plays, and Allen is converting on 3rd and 3 runs on the regular.

• Post of the Week 1

4 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

And you have NO idea how much this draft class will offer.  ZERO.  

Nobody thought we would be relying on Zach Wilson 10 minutes into the season.

What if Smith goes down in the first game?  We will be relying on Fashanu alot.

Breece goes down, Williams isn't quite ready.  There are so many factors that you or anyone else has answers to. 

How about we let the season play out before we criticize it.  Its the resting position for a majority of Jets fans, so many will feel right at home IF the season is a wash.

Fun!

What IF, all these players they took this year, suck and/or arent ready to contribute this season in your scenario?  Yikes!  Relying on a bust LT?  A bust RB?  A bust WR?  Scary! 

I know how we could mitigate that...relying on the '23 class to step up! 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, y2k8 said:

1. Most draft classes provide minimal impact the year they are drafted. 2022 for the Jets is an obvious exception, but that's mainly because they had FOUR (4) of first 36 picks. 

2. Olu is going to play a lot this year. The OL will sustain injuries. If you think otherwise, I want whatever drugs you're taking.

1.  Right!?!?!  Good point.  So, the '23 class needs to step up.  Or I think I heard someone say that.

2.  Awesome!  Unless he's not ready.  Then, at least we have Carter Warren to turn to who showed he can play in this league as a rookie and will have a full offseason to get stronger and better!

• Thumb Down 1

6 minutes ago, DoubleDown said:

Yeah, it seems pretty obvious that teams need their early round picks to step up and contribute in Year 2.  They aren't being drafted to fill out rosters, they are being drafted to form the foundations of teams.

I fully expect McDonald and Tippman to have major roles this season.  And they both showed last year that they can be productive players when given the chance.

This "provide little contribution" narrative for this year's draft class is going to look silly by Week 8 when Fashanu is protecting Rodgers' blindside after Smith inevitably goes down, Corley is turning bubble screens into 15 yard chunk plays, and Allen is converting on 3rd and 3 runs on the regular.

Ooohhh yeaaah babbby!!!  Jets Football!!!!!!!!!

• Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1

13 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

Biggest crybaby on the board that does NOTHING but whine about Jet fans and defend weirdos like Jamal Adams. He’s so ******* bizarre. 

You know, maybe it was a little to soon for some that are still riding the post draft buzz.   I wasnt even knocking this draft per say, all these dudes could be great, but I just dont see it all happening this year...so lets focus on the players from last years draft that we need to step up.  Pretty simple concept  Ofcourse it turned into, OMG, you dont know sh*t dumbass, all these picks are going to be awesome and are ready now, we are the NY Jets, that always has it goes for us, hence the longest playoff drought in major sports!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go figure, lol   Shame on me.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

22 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

I think everything depends on the Jets having the ball more. I’m fine with taking a back line Allen. This draft kind of sucked so I’m not too ticked. Past drafts yes, just total incompetence. But the roster should compete if Rodgers can stay vertical and be at least 70% of what he’s been. 

Corley seems like a guy that they try and feed early but won’t end up working. 

Zach is gone which messed everything up to begin with. The offense started working at the end of the year with Simien, who’s very bad. 

Yeah, but I think that’s all relative, though. We were so used to watching Zach take sacks and not complete passes thats seeing Siemian put together an occasional field goal drive felt like watching Star Wars for the first time. It’s gonna take a massive leap to go from that to contention. Most likely scenario is that it take half a season to get to decent, then it’s about seeing who stays healthy from that point. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JustInFudge said:

Meh, you could but there are plenty of classes/players who contribute immediately and typically, when you're drafting 10th overall, you get that player ie; Garrett Wilson.  The Jets decision to take a player who wont have an immediate impact or possibly, any impact at all on the season, was strange, when they certainly could have chosen a player who provide more immediate impact. 

i'm not so sure about that.  imagine if smith misses his usual 5 games and fashanu starts in his place and keeps rodgers from getting sacked or pressured.  it may not show up in the game stat line but it would be extremely important especially if gwilson or williams was on the other end of the completed pass.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

“I bet you didn’t know Reddit user @JetsSuperGuyFan looked at some tape and thinks Davis can play fullback” doesn’t fill me with confidence. No. 

I haven’t actually seen it anywhere but here—

On 4/27/2024 at 6:57 PM, AFJF said:

The two RB thing is pretty wild and I went into my highlights on file to see what I had on him.  Forgot about this play that I loved where they have him as a lead blocker on a QB keeper.

Just trying to make sense of an otherwise nonsensical pick.

—which is, uh, not exactly a full-throated endorsement of the idea.

• Upvote 1

The only thing you can judge on 2 days after the draft is the apparent idea behind the pick.  As I mentioned we are in the dark about:

medical reports

analytics

team area scouting reports 

team draft board 

team rankings for available free agents 

team long term plans for their own  free agents next year 

team plans for available cap space 

other than that we have everything we need to evaluate the draft. 

there were credible reports that JD tried to trade up with the Giants for a WR, didn’t have the ammo and tried to trade up with the bears for Odunze but the bears wanted him too.  The idea behind that would be to give Rodgers a weapon and some insurance if Williams knee isn’t ready on time.  Solid idea.  

There were credible reports JD had offers to trade back but didn’t want to go too far back and I would speculate that he didn’t want to help any AFC team get a QB. He traded back one spot and got lopsided favorable compensation and got an ambidextrous OT that is a straight up secret service agent protection for Rodgers and can play RT, he was working out with Duke on that recently and has said he’s comfortable on the right side.  There is no way of knowing this but given Smith and Moses age he could play anywhere from 4-8 games this year.  If Smith and Moses play a combined 32 games I like the Jets chances. The idea here was to protect Rodgers.  I think we spoke about this as a priority.  Solid idea. 

Rodgers was a solid pick up in the second round. The Jets needed to improve on Zach Wilson and Trevor Seimian.  No way of knowing what he will do this year but the idea is a solid idea.  Green Bay took Cooper, a linebacker. I think Rodgers will have more of an impact.  Let’s all say it together, “ If he stays healthy “

Not having any idea about Lazards mental state other than he is at OTAs, the only true starting position open on offense is slot or Y. This is why Bowers was a popular pick for the jets at 10. Corley is an athletic freak and the YAC king.  No way of knowing how he will work out but the idea of adding a slot receiver is a solid one. The Jets offense couldn’t score much last year. 

Brealon Allen appears to be an attempt to improve the blitz pick up and pass protection while adding a thumper and not giving up too much on speed. Another YAC player. There were grumblings in camp about Izzy not getting the mental side of pass protection down. We talked about this, the off season priority had to be the secret service.  It had to be protecting Rodgers. No idea how he will work out but RBs take a beating and you need at least 2.

With the new kick off rule the jets now have Gipson, Izzy,  Corley and Allen to potentially make big plays there. The rule states that 2 returners play. Long way to go but Gipson/ Izzy would be a low risk high impact combination leaving Allen to be the second back. I don’t like the idea of putting starters back there. Have you seen the available free agent list at RB ?   Yikes. Honestly if Izzy doesn’t find a role on special teams he’s probably gone. 
The idea is a solid one. 

JD likes medical redshirt players in the middle rounds that slipped because of injury.  Travis is exactly that. Next years QB class is ass. This was a weird year for QB in the mid rounds. Nobody took one. Nobody.  The trade out of the 4th round didn’t cause me emotional distress mostly because I was drifting in and out of consciousness lol.  Apparently a lot of people here suffered.  It seems to me like JD read the drought and risked waiting to get his QB. He added some later value and got his guy. The Lions trade may not amount to anything because they will likely pick late in the third next year but JD didn’t think he had to pick Travis there. It was a risk but it worked out. If you were trying to figure out how the 4th would go, QB, WR, RB or WR, RB, QB, I don’t know what to tell you. The draft is unpredictable.  Who knows what Travis will turn out to be but god willing if he doesn’t have to play this year he should be an upgrade to any mid round QB they could have as a rookie next year.  This is a classic pipeline pick. He’s a little small for my taste, conflicting reports on his progression stuff but again next year’s class is ass.  I like the idea of this pick. 

The most controversial 173rd pick of the draft in history is really hanging a lot of people up.  The jets haven’t said anything but multiple jets accounts are counting him as a FB.  Even if he is a RB, it just shows how ass the remaining free agents list is there and points to the jets not liking the idea of being a couple twisted ankles from playing Izzy or Valladay or hurriedly signing a street free agent during the season.  If he is intended to compete at FB the idea is to have more of a triple threat FB.  If you never throw to the FB or give him a dive here or there it becomes a tell.  RB or FB the idea was for a team that plays outdoors in the northeast to have big powerful backs.  The WR free agency list has more talent now than the RB list. This was probably a scarcity decision.  If Lazard has earned the good graces of the staff and is committed and showed up in shape he has a role in this offense as the big Y.  Not sure a WR here cracks this lineup with Gipson and Charles key special teams contributors.  If Lazard flakes out and has another miserable year they may rue the day. There could be ruage 

Brugler loves Stiggers but this is the pick I thought the idea wasn’t solid. Corner is absolutely a pipeline position where you should draft one every year but if you look at the current defense I thought Linebacker and Safety made more sense here. I think they could have had Stiggers at Mr Irrelevant or even high priority UDFA.  The corner room top to bottom is the best in the NFL.  Echols insurance I guess. His contract is up end of this year. 

Key is a decent idea. Safety was definitely a need. There were more athletic guys out there but he has Alabama pedigree.  Probably a PS player for 3 years and gone but it is pick 257 after all. 

in summary, the idea here was to add to the secret service and YAC and add to the pipeline at QB and Corner.  I think the new kickoff rules may have been on their minds and the remaining available free agents seemingly influenced their decisions too.  

I’m old enough to remember when free agency was for immediate needs and the draft was for the future.  

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

37 minutes ago, Larz said:

The only thing you can judge on 2 days after the draft is the apparent idea behind the pick.  As I mentioned we are in the dark about:

medical reports

analytics

team area scouting reports 

team draft board 

team rankings for available free agents 

team long term plans for their own  free agents next year 

team plans for available cap space 

other than that we have everything we need to evaluate the draft. 

there were credible reports that JD tried to trade up with the Giants for a WR, didn’t have the ammo and tried to trade up with the bears for Odunze but the bears wanted him too.  The idea behind that would be to give Rodgers a weapon and some insurance if Williams knee isn’t ready on time.  Solid idea.  

There were credible reports JD had offers to trade back but didn’t want to go too far back and I would speculate that he didn’t want to help any AFC team get a QB. He traded back one spot and got lopsided favorable compensation and got an ambidextrous OT that is a straight up secret service agent protection for Rodgers and can play RT, he was working out with Duke on that recently and has said he’s comfortable on the right side.  There is no way of knowing this but given Smith and Moses age he could play anywhere from 4-8 games this year.  If Smith and Moses play a combined 32 games I like the Jets chances. The idea here was to protect Rodgers.  I think we spoke about this as a priority.  Solid idea. 

Rodgers was a solid pick up in the second round. The Jets needed to improve on Zach Wilson and Trevor Seimian.  No way of knowing what he will do this year but the idea is a solid idea.  Green Bay took Cooper, a linebacker. I think Rodgers will have more of an impact.  Let’s all say it together, “ If he stays healthy “

Not having any idea about Lazards mental state other than he is at OTAs, the only true starting position open on offense is slot or Y. This is why Bowers was a popular pick for the jets at 10. Corley is an athletic freak and the YAC king.  No way of knowing how he will work out but the idea of adding a slot receiver is a solid one. The Jets offense couldn’t score much last year. 

Brealon Allen appears to be an attempt to improve the blitz pick up and pass protection while adding a thumper and not giving up too much on speed. Another YAC player. There were grumblings in camp about Izzy not getting the mental side of pass protection down. We talked about this, the off season priority had to be the secret service.  It had to be protecting Rodgers. No idea how he will work out but RBs take a beating and you need at least 2.

With the new kick off rule the jets now have Gipson, Izzy,  Corley and Allen to potentially make big plays there. The rule states that 2 returners play. Long way to go but Gipson/ Izzy would be a low risk high impact combination leaving Allen to be the second back. I don’t like the idea of putting starters back there. Have you seen the available free agent list at RB ?   Yikes. Honestly if Izzy doesn’t find a role on special teams he’s probably gone. 
The idea is a solid one. 

JD likes medical redshirt players in the middle rounds that slipped because of injury.  Travis is exactly that. Next years QB class is ass. This was a weird year for QB in the mid rounds. Nobody took one. Nobody.  The trade out of the 4th round didn’t cause me emotional distress mostly because I was drifting in and out of consciousness lol.  Apparently a lot of people here suffered.  It seems to me like JD read the drought and risked waiting to get his QB. He added some later value and got his guy. The Lions trade may not amount to anything because they will likely pick late in the third next year but JD didn’t think he had to pick Travis there. It was a risk but it worked out. If you were trying to figure out how the 4th would go, QB, WR, RB or WR, RB, QB, I don’t know what to tell you. The draft is unpredictable.  Who knows what Travis will turn out to be but god willing if he doesn’t have to play this year he should be an upgrade to any mid round QB they could have as a rookie next year.  This is a classic pipeline pick. He’s a little small for my taste, conflicting reports on his progression stuff but again next year’s class is ass.  I like the idea of this pick. 

The most controversial 173rd pick of the draft in history is really hanging a lot of people up.  The jets haven’t said anything but multiple jets accounts are counting him as a FB.  Even if he is a RB, it just shows how ass the remaining free agents list is there and points to the jets not liking the idea of being a couple twisted ankles from playing Izzy or Valladay or hurriedly signing a street free agent during the season.  If he is intended to compete at FB the idea is to have more of a triple threat FB.  If you never throw to the FB or give him a dive here or there it becomes a tell.  RB or FB the idea was for a team that plays outdoors in the northeast to have big powerful backs.  The WR free agency list has more talent now than the RB list. This was probably a scarcity decision.  If Lazard has earned the good graces of the staff and is committed and showed up in shape he has a role in this offense as the big Y.  Not sure a WR here cracks this lineup with Gipson and Charles key special teams contributors.  If Lazard flakes out and has another miserable year they may rue the day. There could be ruage 

Brugler loves Stiggers but this is the pick I thought the idea wasn’t solid. Corner is absolutely a pipeline position where you should draft one every year but if you look at the current defense I thought Linebacker and Safety made more sense here. I think they could have had Stiggers at Mr Irrelevant or even high priority UDFA.  The corner room top to bottom is the best in the NFL.  Echols insurance I guess. His contract is up end of this year. 

Key is a decent idea. Safety was definitely a need. There were more athletic guys out there but he has Alabama pedigree.  Probably a PS player for 3 years and gone but it is pick 257 after all. 

in summary, the idea here was to add to the secret service and YAC and add to the pipeline at QB and Corner.  I think the new kickoff rules may have been on their minds and the remaining available free agents seemingly influenced their decisions too.  

I’m old enough to remember when free agency was for immediate needs and the draft was for the future.  

Well, there you have it folks.  Never mind relying on '23.  This was the perfect draft.  Every single player is going to be an absolute stud and do exactly what they were drafted to do at an extremely high level!  One of the least successful GM's in league history, has done it!  He's achieved, perfection!!!!!

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Larz said:

A as in “Amazing what happens when you don’t have battered jets fan syndrome or try to get cool kid points by knocking the draft “

A as in Another high pick QB bust coming next year.

Tippy? What is wrong with you people.
No lineman wants to be called "Tippy". 
Same group that bestowed the beloved 'Sammy' moniker upon Darnold ... Imagine calling Sam Elliot 'Sammy'

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, JustInFudge said:

The RB room, was super duper cool last season w/ Hall, Carter, Izzy and Bam, there was no need for that worthless turd, Dalvin Cook.

1. There was no need for Cook.  Because Cook was seemingly washed, and not the productive veteran weapon they hoped to pair with Rodgers pre-Achillies.  He also never got enough carries to get a rhythm, seemed to pull a "don't care" like Lazard, and our O-Co seemed unable to suss out much about how to use his RB's till late in the year.

2. Carter and Bam sucked.  Absolute trash-tier RB's.  As often is the case, Jets Fans vastly over-hyped both (especially Bam) but both were low-production, and Carter couldn't catch to save his life.  Neither deserves any lamentations for being gone.

3. RB room now is 10 times the potential of what it was then, but I agree, I didn't like that 2nd RB pick.  1st one (the big bruiser) I can at least understand a fit with Hall, Izzy and him.  2nd pick seems like a backup plan if needed, likely for Izzy flat out, or Hall if he gets hurt.

• Upvote 2

59 minutes ago, Warfish said:

1. There was no need for Cook.  Because Cook was seemingly washed, and not the productive veteran weapon they hoped to pair with Rodgers pre-Achillies.  He also never got enough carries to get a rhythm, seemed to pull a "don't care" like Lazard, and our O-Co seemed unable to suss out much about how to use his RB's till late in the year.

2. Carter and Bam sucked.  Absolute trash-tier RB's.  As often is the case, Jets Fans vastly over-hyped both (especially Bam) but both were low-production, and Carter couldn't catch to save his life.  Neither deserves any lamentations for being gone.

3. RB room now is 10 times the potential of what it was then, but I agree, I didn't like that 2nd RB pick.  1st one (the big bruiser) I can at least understand a fit with Hall, Izzy and him.  2nd pick seems like a backup plan if needed, likely for Izzy flat out, or Hall if he gets hurt.

So, half the room is the same but w/ 1 guy you think you like and then a sh*tty guy you dont like but it has 10x more the potential?  lol

Michael Carter average 6.8 ypc for the Cards after the trade, which is pretty good. 

• Upvote 1

On 4/29/2024 at 3:19 PM, JustInFudge said:

Well, there you have it folks.  Never mind relying on '23.  This was the perfect draft.  Every single player is going to be an absolute stud and do exactly what they were drafted to do at an extremely high level!  One of the least successful GM's in league history, has done it!  He's achieved, perfection!!!!!

Who said it was the perfect draft?  Who said every player is going to be an absolute stud?  Who said each player is going to do exactly what they were drafted to do at an extremely high level!?  Who said JD achieved perfection?

Other than you in your over the top recap.  Because as we all know no one listed OL, WR, RB & backup QB as needs for this team going into the draft.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, JustInFudge said:

So, half the room is the same but w/ 1 guy you think you like and then a sh*tty guy you dont like but it has 10x more the potential?  lol

Michael Carter average 6.8 ypc for the Cards after the trade, which is pretty good. 

Hall is the same.  He's the star.

Izzy was an unknown because of the injury, and a near-total lack of use once healthy till late.  I'm hopeful for a good showing from him this year as opposed to last.

Michael Carter sucked here, any argument we should have kept him is just lols mate.  He was a bad runner here, and a horrible ball-dropping receiver.

I like the idea well enough of the big bruiser RB (if used right, a clear-cut TBD), but I'm not gonna white-knight two picks I never would have made (either RB).  I'm also not going to cry any tears over two depth-tier JAG's like Carter and Bam.

I think the room is better than it was, yes.  We'll see when they play the games.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Larz said:

Nah , I thought about it and they suck 

great job Woody. the YAC kings one video is a pass where he got no YAC. lol

when you have someone called the YAC King every highlight should be of him getting some YAC.

IDK maybe a 5 yard pass that he turned into a 20 yard gain would be nice.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, JustInFudge said:

I know all the talk right now is about this class and understood, it's fresh but either way you slice it, even if you disagree it was underwhelming, the truth is this draft class will have a very limited impact on the success of the '24 season.  And while JD went hog wild in FA, we all know that never works out, so temper you expectations for an often injured FA class.  So where do the Jets get a lift?  They'll get the biggest lift this season, from the '23 draft class, who many bemoaned because it wasnt a good enough in a "win now" season, but somehow are comfortable w/ this class but I digress.   Lets look at how the '23 class are going to help the '24 Jets.

The Jets need Will McDonald to have a JJ like offseason and come into this season ready to be a dominant pass rusher.  I'm extremely confident in Will McDonald's ability and think he will live up to expectations, but it's almost a mandatory must happen for this team since it will be replacing not just Jefferson and Huff but also now, JFM.  That is a lot of QB hurries and sacks off this team and while Reddick is obviously a huge add, he's just one dude.  The Jets absolutely need Will McDonald to have a break out season.

The other major factor from that draft who is a Jets fan favorite because he quite possibly has the greatest hairdo of all time, is a man some call Joe, his parents call him Joseph but us die hard Jets fans affectionally know him as, Tippy.  Tippy had a very promising rookie season, after not playing the first 2 games on offense at all, he was basically a permanent starter the rest of the season only missing a few games due to injury.  He did leave week 18 due to an ankle injury, not sure how bad it was/is but the Jets need a healthy Tippy to start the season and to play as many as snaps as possible since the Jets are razor thin at depth in IOL.  Very curious not take some of freaky RAS IOL guys and instead grab 2 RB's when they drafted Izzy last season, but I digress.   Maybe then can go offer to bring back Connor McGovern on a 1 year deal for some depth but either way, the Jets need Tippy to step up big and really help anchor the offensive line.  The Jets have a proud history of talented Centers, here is to hoping Tippy can follow suit!

I know JD is super duper happy w/ his decision to draft 2 RB's because the RB room is super cool now but I have no earthly idea what his line of thinking is when it comes to the RB position.  The RB room, was super duper cool last season w/ Hall, Carter, Izzy and Bam, there was no need for that worthless turd, Dalvin Cook.  Instead of sticking w/ a very solid RB room, he tore it apart, cutting Bam for Cook, trading MC for some stupid reason and then using 2 draft picks on RB's.  Izzy, a home run threat, was an ascending player in college and looking to really find his rhythm.  The one game he got to tot it a bit, he looked fine but what does JD do?  He goes trades all his 4th round picks for a single RB, who say what you will about, is a kid that has been a descending player since his freshman season, over necessary depth at IOL over even help and depth at S.  Taking another one was just bonkers.  I dont know what to make of this situation, but it feels like the Jets need Izzy to be a legit #2 as these rookies find there way in the NFL, especially if the worst case scenario happens and the Jets are w/out Hall for any amount of time.

Carter Warren.  Really impressed toward the end of last season when the line was playing it's best.  I know the Fashanu pick pushes Warren down the depth chart, which is fine but when you sign often injured T's, you need guys who can step in and play w/out concern.  You may think the Fashanu is the greatest pick ever and a 15 year starter in the NFL and that's great!  Good for you!  But there is difference between and hope and knowledge.  We have knowledge that Warren can play in the NFL.  We will find out if that's the case w/ Fashanu.

Barnes, JCB and Kuntz, whatever, cant rely on 6th and 7th round picks for anything so whatever but hopefully the Jets can find some depth w/ these 3.  

IMO the Jets approached this draft like a team that thinks they're really good.  Not sure why but it is what it is but in order for this team to live up to those lofty expectations, they will need key contributions from their '23 draft class.  The only place I could see someone from this class really pushing anyone is maybe Corley pushes Lazard for some playing time but I got a feeling Rodgers favorite teammate of all time, will get his head out of his ass and bounce back w/ his boo at the helm.  That said, on paper, Corley possess a skill that Lazard lacks, which could be where the Jets see lift from the '24 class.  Fun to keep an eye on but what you really need to keep an eye on is how that '23 draft class develops and provides contributions to this team.

This is simply incorrect. Olu, Corley and Allen could all have massive impacts. It just depends on whether or not our starters can stay healthy.