Ian O’Connors (unauthorized) Aaron Rodgers biography

14 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

I will be honest here, you just made my day a little bit lighter. I was of the mindset that you may have actually done this already. My estimation of you has gone up 2 notches. 

american psycho film GIF by hoppip

^ Tom, a couple hours before his hot date with Olivia Munn.  

• Haha 2

and?  some two bit author is writing a biography about a public figure in the media capitol of world.  unauthorized to somehow show that every word is the truth.  so what.  this clown knows he's got maybe until october to sell this book.  ironically this book will probably sell better if the jets fall on their faces and rodgers is the blame.

• Upvote 1

On 8/15/2024 at 5:04 PM, Rhg1084 said:

Think I would finds the grandkids discussing the relative merits of SpongeBob Squarepants vs. Peppa Pig. Less spilled chocolate milk and whining with the tykes. 

Again; O'Connor on the cusp of the Yankees' 1990s dynasty called Joe Torre "clueless Joe". And thought Sebastian Telefair was the 2nd coming of Michael Jordan. And Chris Russo can barely speak English better than said small children. When you get a bit older, you start to see guys like them are putting on an act to make a living. 

On 8/15/2024 at 8:10 AM, RutgersJetFan said:

Every time some old parent of two kids that are 40+ years old tells me to "enjoy every moment" I want to punch them in the face.

There does come a day you miss not taking the kids to sports practice.

Will always miss the calls about...teenage stuff. Explain this again; how did the bumper to my Jeep get detached from the rest of the car? You thought t was a good idea to drive this SUV to the waterline at low tide into the soft wet sand?  (2 different incidents, same Jeep).And the drunk puking and sneaking out late at night. It did work out. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

14 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Will always miss the calls about...teenage stuff. Explain this again; how did the bumper to my Jeep get detached from the rest of the car? You thought t was a good idea to drive this SUV to the waterline at low tide into the soft wet sand?  (2 different incidents, same Jeep).And the drunk puking and sneaking out late at night. It did work out. 

My daughter played 3 sports in school and was on couple of travel teams also. There were a lot of times I rolled my eyes at having to attend, drop her off or pick her up from games, practices or whatever.

The worst moment of it all though was when she first got her drivers license. I remember asking her what time we needed to leave for basketball practice and she said “You don’t have to come, can I have your keys and drive myself?

@RutgersJetFan I know you joke about your two young ones a lot, and it’s funny as hell when you do, but yeah… “enjoy these years”. They go fast, and trust me. You’ll miss them.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Bugg said:

My kids are dope and I’m sure I’ll miss them being this cute and little but any parent that tells a toddler parent to enjoy every single moment clearly does not remember what every single moment of toddler is. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

Ian O’Conner is the analogue of Mehta on the national scale.  He is one of the most dishonest journalists in the profession, and basically the gadfly of the sports reporting world.   How he still has a job after all of these years is a complete mystery.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

My kids are dope and I’m sure I’ll miss them being this cute and little but any parent that tells a toddler parent to enjoy every single moment clearly does not remember what every single moment of toddler is. 

😂 yeah that same daughter I told the story about now has twin boy and girl 18 month olds. I’m kinda reveling in what she’s going through right now.
Being a grandparent is great… you get to see them when you want, but most importantly only for as long as you want!

• Haha 2

On 8/15/2024 at 6:10 AM, RutgersJetFan said:

Every time some old parent of two kids that are 40+ years old tells me to "enjoy every moment" I want to punch them in the face.

Does anyone actually move out of the house when they are 18 anymore? I guess if they join the marines 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I always enjoy going back and reading the journal I kept when they were little.  I even gave it a title.  500 ways to kill yourself.

• Haha 2

So O’Connor is doing a press tour for this book and he was just on with Michael Kay for an hour. I’m not sure if there’ll be much fallout from it but, from the interview, it doesn’t sound like it makes Rodgers look good. O’Connor seemed to come away thinking Rodgers was a fundamentally good guy, but an absolute petty, aggrieved oddball besides. Huge into conspiracy theories, not particularly relatable to teammates, triggered by any and all perceived sleights. Apparently a lot of it is about his estrangement from his parents, and his parents went on the record. Feels kinda slimy. 

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

So O’Connor is doing a press tour for this book and he was just on with Michael Kay for an hour. I’m not sure if there’ll be much fallout from it but, from the interview, it doesn’t sound like it makes Rodgers look good. O’Connor seemed to come away thinking Rodgers was a fundamentally good guy, but an absolute petty, aggrieved oddball besides. Huge into conspiracy theories, not particularly relatable to teammates, triggered by any and all perceived sleights. Apparently a lot of it is about his estrangement from his parents, and his parents went on the record. Feels kinda slimy. 

O’Connor has been a slimy blowhard as long as I can remember (since his Bergen Record days and probably even earlier)

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

You sound disappointed that it won’t make blaring headlines. Everything else is common knowledge.  

you got nothing this year.  

Wait. 

who is backing up Schweitzer? 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Larz said:

You sound disappointed that it won’t make blaring headlines. Everything else is common knowledge.  

you got nothing this year.  

Wait. 

who is backing up Schweitzer? 

Just you wait

On 8/19/2024 at 5:09 PM, T0mShane said:

Also Rodgers and his family have now kinda sorta made up. Stuff like that does happen. You mean pro athletes sometimes don't get a long with their families? It isn't really much of a story. 

It's a soap opera. And really if you care about that, what does O'Connor or Chris Russo add that you couldn't find on your own anyway? 

O'Connor is not going to break down how Rodgers does play action or anything remotely technical. Which is the problem with old school media. We can see behind the curtain with the internet. We can see any game we want. The whole post game media scrum of asking about the big play or huge mistake; nobody cares. We saw it. We can break it down , if you want to put in some effort.

The spots media looks like the biggest fake it until you make it industry in America. 

Steven A. Smith is rumored to be making for $25 million. This is a guy who after the Doug Brien game suggested the Jets should have attempted a FG on 3rd down so if they missed it, they could try again on 4th down.  You would think somebody at Disney asks why they're paying a guy who has no idea what he's talking about that much money. But when you think your whole business model is giving "hot takes" to drooling imbeciles, well, I'm not a TV executive. And they have tons of airtime to fill with ...something.

Google; Disney's streaming service lost $300 million in the last quarter of 2023 alone..

• Post of the Week 1

On 8/19/2024 at 5:12 PM, nj meadowlands said:

O’Connor has been a slimy blowhard as long as I can remember (since his Bergen Record days and probably even earlier)

He was at The Reporter Dispatch in the mid 90s with Barry Stanton (who voted for BJ Surhoff for the HOF, lol)

• Haha 1

Damn. 

Jets-despite having virtually no communication with them since December 2014. I told him later that I had given them a ride. Ed and Darla were wearing Jets gear and sitting near the 25-yard line, when their middle child went down with a torn Achilles on the Jets' fourth snap.

But despite that heartbreaking development, Ed and Darla got caught up in the excitement of the game in the second half. They stood and cheered with Jets fans who had no idea they were sitting with Rodgers’ parents. “It took us to the third quarter to realize, ‘OK, we’re Jets fans now,’” Darla said. “We were really feeling it and…no one knew who in the heck we were.”

The ride back to their Airbnb was quiet, but Ed and Darla were uplifted by the tremendous walk-off victory call by @espnbob that was repeated on 98.7. That’s because Aaron’s parents were part of the most electric regular-season sports crowd I had ever experienced over four decades as a reporter.

On 8/8/2024 at 3:08 PM, rtnelson said:

Wait, AR was banging Sloan Sabbith and we are supposed to not like him for that?!

What's the difference between a corporation and a person?

Sloan: Have you ever held a door open for someone?

Yes.

Sloan: Did you ask them for money first?

No.

Sloan: That's the difference.

One of my favorite Newsroom exchanges.

im listening to O Conner on DiPietro and Rothenberg and he said...............

" the whole Rodgers being RFKs VP was all a publicity stunt by the campaign."

i just got to say...LMFAO.... at all you guys who actually thought that might be true.. i got a bridge to sell you in Brooklyn , PM if your interested.

• Upvote 1

On 8/16/2024 at 7:53 PM, RutgersJetFan said:

It’s not said to be literal. The people who say “enjoy every moment” are typically parents whose kids are now older than yours are when they observe and make those comments.

They are paying forward the message of solidarity and perspective. Focus on the good moments, it gets you through the hard ones, and just wait… it gets worse as they get older.

I’d much rather deal with a tantrum over watching another episode of Elmo vs. the preteen and teen stuff (bullying, puberty, the questions) that is just beginning for us.

So, enjoy every moment buddy.

• Upvote 3

On 8/19/2024 at 4:09 PM, T0mShane said:

I don't know about relatable to his teammates, but the Jets players seem to really like him.  I'd imagine there's always some issues with a 40 year old playing sports with a bunch of 23-25 year olds.

As for his parents, it happens.  Could be him, or them.  I unfortunately have about a 0 relationship with my Mom.