New York Jets, Haason Reddick Contract Saga No Longer About Fines. Game checks are now on the line, to the tune of $852,941 for each game missed.

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

It’s wild to me that Reddick had a longstanding issue with the AAV on his contract—so much so that the Eagles were forced to 1. Trade him and eat $23 mil and 2. Give Bryce Huff $50 mil—and now Douglas is surprised that Reddick isn’t coming to camp without a bump? And the Jets story is that—gasp!—Reddick didn’t show up to play *for the same amount of money that he wasn’t going to accept with the Eagles*? Gripe all you want about Reddick‘s tactics, but this is on Douglas for importing a well-established problem into the franchise. 

It was an offer to play for the same amount of money as a path to getting the money he actually wanted by showing he's not washed.

I won't pretend I watched all of Philly's games last season, but it seems Reddick was invisible over the final four or five games of their season.  Perhaps the Jets believed he could have an impact in a system where he played fewer reps and may not get worn down as the season dragged on.

Also, I think the Jets probably figured "This is about money, so it's not like he'd be dumb enough to sit out long enough to lose money he'll never make back".

They may have just underestimated how dumb Reddick might be willing to be.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, neckdemon said:

everything you said was purely financial. the bottom line is that the defense would be much better with one of the premier pass rushers in the league playing. the defense was pretty good, it wasn't elite. last point is that you have no idea what reddick is asking for...so you can't say he is asking for an iilogical contract. it's my understanding that he has zero guaranteed money on his contract this year. could be he would have been willing to show up with some guaranteed money. he gets severely hurt with no guaranteed money and he is f*cked. i don't blame him for not wanting to risk himself with no guarantees.  douglas screwed this up, pretty much everyone except jets homers sees it that way

1 hour ago, Mogglez said:

- Yes; when the reason for a holdout is a financial reason, people tend to discuss the financial aspect of the holdout.  This shouldn’t be surprising.

- Yes; the defense would be better with Reddick. No; they do not NEED him to be great.

- Expanding on the above, you’re completely wrong and the defense was elite last year.  Especially when you factor in what they were covering up for on the offensive side of the ball.

- Eagles beat reporters have said multiple times that Reddick wants a multi-year deal that pays him as one of the best defensive players in the league, and that is around $25 million dollars per year.  Howie Roseman, one of the best GMs in the sport, then decided to trade him.

- It’s been widely reported that the Jets were willing to sweeten his current contract with more guaranteed money.  It’s the multi-year contract that they don’t want to offer.

-  Absolutely no one who understands the sport of football agrees that Joe Douglas is to blame.  The only people who have bought into that are those who get off on the “lolJets” narrative.

Aside from everything Mogglez said, the bolded isn't how any of this works. You can't cut a guy for getting injured in a game (or practice), so if he suffered some catastrophic injury on the field this year, his salary for 2024 (which he is currently forfeiting to, in your thought process, protect it) would still get paid. The way an injury would screw him is by harming his FA market next offseason. And you can't guard against that by guaranteeing part of (or even all) his 2024 salary. 

• Upvote 4

42 minutes ago, neckdemon said:

if it works out this way the yeah ok....
or he can show up and sustain an "injury" contract wont toll and he never plays a down. then he just signs somewhere else next year and the jets end up paying a 3rd round pick. like i said, i don't blame him one bit for not playign with no guaranteed money. he gets a career ending injury and thats it

Is it really too much to ask you not to spiral into a depression on imaginary scenarios like "he'll show up and fake an injury!" until after they happen?

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

Aside from everything Mogglez said, the bolded isn't how any of this works. You can't cut a guy for getting injured in a game (or practice), so if he suffered some catastrophic injury on the field this year, his salary for 2024 (which he is currently forfeiting to, in your thought process, protect it) would still get paid. The way an injury would screw him is by harming his FA market next offseason. And you can't guard against that by guaranteeing part of (or even all) his 2024 salary. 

didn't know that. still not having any guaranteed money or a new contract.....if he did get catastrophically injured there goes his ability to secure probably his last big payday

5 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

Is it really too much to ask you not to spiral into a depression on imaginary scenarios like "he'll show up and fake an injury!" until after they happen?

lol i'm not depressed. i think the team is going to be really good. doesn't change the fact that this was a botched situation by JD

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, AFJF said:

It was an offer to play for the same amount of money as a path to getting the money he actually wanted by showing he's not washed.

I won't pretend I watched all of Philly's games last season, but it seems Reddick was invisible over the final four or five games of their season.  Perhaps the Jets believed he could have an impact in a system where he played fewer reps and may not get worn down as the season dragged on.

Also, I think the Jets probably figured "This is about money, so it's not like he'd be dumb enough to sit out long enough to lose money he'll never make back".

They may have just underestimated how dumb Reddick might be willing to be.

But why trade for a player who might be washed, who wasn’t coming off his contract demands, and for whom there was zero benefit to agree to any sort of incentive-laden contract structure at 30 years old and for a team that rotates their pass rushers? It just seems foolish in concept. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, peekskill68 said:

If Mcdonald can leap in year 2 anything close to what JJ did, we're not even having this conversation...

My same feeling, The unfortunate thing is McDonald seems to have been pretty much a nonentity this training camp.

The jets have good dline depth though so they can play the waiting game.

Things will only get tense if the D has trouble early on and the team gets off to a slow start.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

But why trade for a player who might be washed, who wasn’t coming off his contract demands, and for whom there was zero benefit to agree to any sort of incentive-laden contract structure at 30 years old and for a team that rotates their pass rushers? It just seems foolish in concept. 

One of Joe Douglas's panic moves.  We lost Huff and he 'thought' reddick was a good easy one  year replacement.

The teams that deal with Douglass love to pat him n the back for taking on their problems.

In any case he will show up once the real pay cheques start disappearing.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

If he just sits around and doesn’t report, doesn’t collect any checks, etc. would the Jets trade him at the deadline to a NFC team in dire need of a passrusher?  Just to get something/anything for him?

If it's a 3way trade involving Davante and Jets only giving up Reddick... 

HELL YEAH!! 7D JD

2 hours ago, neckdemon said:

everything you said was purely financial. the bottom line is that the defense would be much better with one of the premier pass rushers in the league playing. the defense was pretty good, it wasn't elite. last point is that you have no idea what reddick is asking for...so you can't say he is asking for an iilogical contract. it's my understanding that he has zero guaranteed money on his contract this year. could be he would have been willing to show up with some guaranteed money. he gets severely hurt with no guaranteed money and he is f*cked. i don't blame him for not wanting to risk himself with no guarantees.  douglas screwed this up, pretty much everyone except jets homers sees it that way

Okay.  Now can you tell us how much better the D would be with a 2026 third rounder?

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Doggin94it said:

I hear you this, and it matches what I believed to be the case too about injuries. However, I keep reading that as a conciliatory offer the Jets were willing to guarantee his $14.5M for this year (if he had shown up) — that’s what Cimini and other beat writers keep saying, and earlier in the hold out it was widely predicted that that is how the situation would be resolve. But if he couldn’t have lost his 2024 salary due to an injury, that makes this supposed goodwill gesture by the Jets pretty empty, doesn’t it?

52 minutes ago, AFJF said:

It's a gamble while you're trying to win a ring.

You can feel that what he brings is worth the price (future 3 and $15 mil) and if he's still his old self and his poor play was a fluke, then you talk about giving big money for a few more seasons.

I have a hard time being critical here because I do believe Reddick lied, I believe he's only hurting himself, and we've spent how many years ridiculing Jets GM's for always "doing their due diligence" but never "closing the deal".  In this case, they rolled the dice and got a deal done that has huge upside in an all-in year.

I'd say the only truly stupid part of this that Joe D. has to fully own was trading JFM for pennies before knowing Reddick was in camp.  

Yeah, I don’t know. If I’m trying to win a ring, the gamble I make is throwing Reddick a raise and getting him on the field ASAP. What Douglas is doing now is cutting the nose off to spite his face. The most logical explanation is that they made the Reddick deal with a handshake agreement to juice the money and Woody stuck his nose in, because if they’re all-in on this year, haggling over an extra couple of million that leaks into future years for Reddick is silly.

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

It’s wild to me that Reddick had a longstanding issue with the AAV on his contract—so much so that the Eagles were forced to 1. Trade him and eat $23 mil and 2. Give Bryce Huff $50 mil—and now Douglas is surprised that Reddick isn’t coming to camp without a bump? And the Jets story is that—gasp!—Reddick didn’t show up to play *for the same amount of money that he wasn’t going to accept with the Eagles*? Gripe all you want about Reddick‘s tactics, but this is on Douglas for importing a well-established problem into the franchise. 

He’s trying to put Reddick in a position where he’s playing for his extension and has to ball out and produce. He is under contract. This isn’t a tag situation. Not saying that was shrewd and amazing and it’s going to work out but there is a framework he’s working from. He didn’t just fax over the trade paperwork like “yolo!”

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Larz said:

He’s trying to put Reddick in a position where he’s playing for his extension and has to ball out and produce. He is under contract. This isn’t a tag situation. Not saying that was shrewd and amazing and it’s going to work out but there is a framework he’s working from. He didn’t just fax over the trade paperwork like “yolo!”

I’d imagine the steps were:

1. Roseman offers Reddick on the cheap to his buddy Douglas. Douglas and Saleh are like hell yeah. 

2. Reddick’s camp claims that Douglas told them conversations would continue throughout the summer, but that never happened. 

3. Jets position: we’ll “guarantee” the contract for 24, which would have been guaranteed anyway at the outset of the league year. 

4. Reddick’s position (via Josina Anderson): Give me the Bryce Huff AAV ($17 mil) and offset the fines and we’ll call it even. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

1. Roseman offers Reddick on the cheap to his buddy Douglas. Douglas and Saleh are like hell yeah. 

2. Reddick’s camp claims that Douglas told them conversations would continue throughout the summer, but that never happened. 

3. Jets position: we’ll “guarantee” the contract for 24, which would have been guaranteed anyway at the outset of the league year. 

4. Reddick’s position (via Josina Anderson): Give me the Bryce Huff AAV ($17 mil) and offset the fines and we’ll call it even. 

Probably pretty close.  As others have said, the JFM departure may have tempted Reddick’s camp to play hardball too. 

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I really think this all comes down to Reddick not showing up, and Douglas not wanting to throw him 5 million before he even sits in a team meeting. I am convinced if Reddick showed up and "held in", he would have at minimum gotten a pay bump to make 2024 worth his while.

if i had to guess Tory Dumbass told Reddick that he loses leverage by showing up, and then it became a game of chicken...which is still going today.

terrible advise for Reddick by his agent, hopefully he is paying his fines.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

2. Reddick’s camp claims that Douglas told them conversations would continue throughout the summer, but that never happened.  The Jets did say this, but it was under the contingency that Reddick show up throughout the non-mandatory part of the program to show some level of commitment to his new team.  This never materialized and the Jets held strong on their requirement.

Add in the bolded and you pretty much have it spot on.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Add in the bolded and you pretty much have it spot on.

I wonder if Reddick’s agents have a little wink-wink handshake agreement with another team that’ll give Reddick his bump if they can shake loose from the Jets and that’s why they’ve gone to the mattresses here. 

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I wonder if Reddick’s agents have a little wink-wink handshake agreement with another team that’ll give Reddick his bump if they can shake loose from the Jets and that’s why they’ve gone to the mattresses here. 

I think it’s more a case of a guy who has already banked $50 mil not wanting to put his body on the line without a $ guaranteed from a team he has no ties to.

Everyone keeps saying he has no leverage, but he already has more money than he can spend, and the Jets can wait him out through next season if they want to.
That’s true, they can, but they’ll be short $14 mil worth of cap money/talent both those years also.

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1
  • More Ugh 1

13 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

I really think this all comes down to Reddick not showing up, and Douglas not wanting to throw him 5 million before he even sits in a team meeting. I am convinced if Reddick showed up and "held in", he would have at minimum gotten a pay bump to make 2024 worth his while.

if i had to guess Tory Dumbass told Reddick that he loses leverage by showing up, and then it became a game of chicken...which is still going today.

terrible advise for Reddick by his agent, hopefully he is paying his fines.

I guess, but the dude is a veteran player with a million snaps on tape. The Jets shouldn’t need to have him in the building to know what he brings. Just seems like a weird hill to die on. Ultimately, it’s a who-cares thing because the Jets have enough at edge (presuming McDonald is good). It’s just a weird, unforced error. 

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

6 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I thought about that too but, at this point, I think we would have heard something about that.  Whether that’s a team like that making a decent enough offer in a trade, or the Jets getting wind of that and filing tampering charges, I believe that we’re past the point of where that would still be under wraps.

The only way I see Reddick shaking loose is if he is dangled as a sweetener at the deadline for another player and, even then, you don’t have a ton of time to make a trade that complicated so it’s probably play for us or sit out the season.

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

I guess, but the dude is a veteran player with a million snaps on tape. The Jets shouldn’t need to have him in the building to know what he brings. Just seems like a weird hill to die on. Ultimately, it’s a who-cares thing because the Jets have enough at edge (presuming McDonald is good). It’s just a weird, unforced error. 

I get what you’re saying but Reddick may send Tory Dandy to the Shadow Realm if the Jets pass rush picks up where it left off while he sits out losing game checks because of his advice.

Like I mentioned before:  Dandy’s tactic of threatening/utilizing the holdout/in worked for Metcalf and CeeDee because their respective teams, quite literally, would not survive the year without their production.  The Jets DL situation, on-paper, is not like the Seahawks or Cowboys WR rooms.  They can, (again) on-paper, survive it.

• Upvote 3

16 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Going off what you saw (maybe I should say didn’t see) from McDonald last year, what odds would you give that of happening?

I keep reading how this DL is stacked, but Huff is gone, the guy we traded for to replace him isn’t here, JFM was traded, and we brought in Javon Kearse and elevated Clemons.
I don’t see the upgrade, unless we’re buying into the guys who flashed against 2nd and 3rd stringers in the preseason.

• Upvote 3
  • More Ugh 1

17 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

What’s the he needs to be in the building play? What’s the real reason? Miscommunication between Woody and Douglas?

• Thumb Down 2

18 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

Going off what you saw (maybe I should say didn’t see) from McDonald last year, what odds would you give that of happening?

I keep reading how this DL is stacked, but Huff is gone, the guy we traded for to replace him isn’t here, JFM was traded, and we brought in Javon Kearse and elevated Clemons.
I don’t see the upgrade, unless we’re buying into the guys who flashed against 2nd and 3rd stringers in the preseason.

McDonald’s win rate has always been good which, with more opportunities, should result in more sack production. If he can fill the Huff role, it’s a win

• Upvote 4

14 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

What’s the he needs to be in the building play? What’s the real reason? Miscommunication between Woody and Douglas?

It sounds a lot like something Woody johnson would want. Reminds me of the counterproductive foot-stomping he brought to the Revis holdout on Hard Knocks. Tannenbaum looked like he wanted to choke him out after the Roscoe Diner meeting

29 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

I thought about that too but, at this point, I think we would have heard something about that.  Whether that’s a team like that making a decent enough offer in a trade, or the Jets getting wind of that and filing tampering charges, I believe that we’re past the point of where that would still be under wraps.

The only way I see Reddick shaking loose is if he is dangled as a sweetener at the deadline for another player and, even then, you don’t have a ton of time to make a trade that complicated so it’s probably play for us or sit out the season.

That’d be super-tampering, though. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

McDonald’s win rate has always been good which, with more opportunities, should result in more sack production. If he can fill the Huff role, it’s a win

We have an awful lot of ifs we’re counting on happening this season. Health wise, age wise, and potential wise.

This is going to be a very interesting year. It can be either the most fun or disappointing one we’ve had in years.

• Upvote 1
  • More Ugh 1

I hear you this, and it matches what I believed to be the case too about injuries. However, I keep reading that as a conciliatory offer the Jets were willing to guarantee his $14.5M for this year (if he had shown up) — that’s what Cimini and other beat writers keep saying, and earlier in the hold out it was widely predicted that that is how the situation would be resolve. But if he couldn’t have lost his 2024 salary due to an injury, that makes this supposed goodwill gesture by the Jets pretty empty, doesn’t it?

I believe but don’t have any specific knowledge that we are talking about the difference between an injury guarantee and a performance guarantee ie get cut = no pay 🤷‍♂️

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

31 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

With his behavior up to this point who on earth would the buying GM be?

If it is a legit contender whose star pass rusher goes down then maybe but legit contenders are not far enough under the cap to give Reddick the money he wants this year.  Even if such a team was available what guarantees would the buying GM have that Reddick would live up to any contract he signs?  If going back on your word and then holding out proves to be a successful strategy one could be forgiven for thinking he would do it again in a heartbeat.

The market is zero and falling fast.  HIs agent should be looking at a Dutch auction where the price falls until someone puts in a bid.

• Upvote 2

• Bronx changed the title to Rule him out Roberto!