****The official Jets VS 49ers Game thread****®️©️™️

BP

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

The difference in the game was that the Niners offense—with backups—converted third downs and the Jets offense—which I’ve read for months was chockablock with talent—didn’t. 

Too bad you didn't watch the game. It was way way worse than that.

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

You don't trade away assets, shape your roster, shape your coaching staff and sell your soul for a QB on his last legs for a shot at a SB and get to fall back on excuses we could hear if tyrod taylor had started.

Because tyrod taylor could do what Rodgers did tonight.

Rodgers is supposed to be able to overcome obstacles,not get the excuse train.

Can you give it more than the first game of the season against a SB team on the road? 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

The difference in the game was that the Niners offense—with backups—converted third downs and the Jets offense—which I’ve read for months was chockablock with talent—didn’t. 

Indeed. But notice how, in this post, you are talking about the entire “offense” of each team. You aren’t saying QB A did this and QB B did that, which is my point. The game had little to do with either QB - the 49ers won because they dominated the LOS. 

The 49ers scored on 8 straight possessions and our offense made huge mistakes that took possessions away (at most, one of those was on Rodgers) 

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I cannot accept the drops argument from the same bunch who excoriated both Mike White and Zach Wilson  the last three years without once factoring in “drops.” It’s part and parcel to the game and every QB has to deal with it and overcome. Aiyuk dropped a sure TD that Purdy dropped into his hands. The Niners got called for two BS penalties on the same drive—one of which took a TD off the board—and they still put it in the endzone. The leading receiver for the Niners tonight was Jauan Jennings. Purdy dropped a flag route for thirty to his fullback. 

1. I would cover for Jamarcus Russell if he was back there suffering from the same things Rodgers dealt with tonight, but I can only speak for myself.

2. Purdy is a very good QB who, when it comes to getting his due, is a victim of the talent around him.

3. I will absolutely agree that the gameplan was a huge problem.  They should have aired it out more instead of forcing the run.

4. Adding onto the above, the defense was the largest problem for a number of reasons, but the most overlooked side effect right now is that the Jets simply didn’t have the ball long enough.  The T.O.P, as well as the differential in number of plays ran, was so slanted that the offense needed to be absolutely perfect to even stand a chance tonight, and we all know that they weren’t, which is mostly because the star skill position players underperformed.

• Upvote 4

8 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

Lazard showed up for 2 drives, the first when the game was nearly over, and the other in complete garbage time.  After being the most mentioned name among a poor WR corps who got a heavy load of the blame for Rodgers' 2022 decline, and being beyond atrocious last year, you're being a tad over-generous with your praise of him on this one.

Not disagreeing with your other points, but really just that this team was largely a mess from top to bottom, so there's no short list of names to mention.

Probably.  A free play TD from him definitely helped.  I’m more disappointed in Hall and Wilson than I am impressed with Lazard.

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

I am only speaking on this game alone.

He was bad tonight. We don't need to sugar coat it and make excuses.

He needs to be better, way better, if this team wants to to make the playoffs.

He was rusty which is to be expected but he was not bad. Not great, not bad. Tough game 1 matchup. He led them to 2 TD's tonight, several drives cut short by no fault of his own. Jets offense didn't score a TD until game 5 last year. Defense lost the game tonight. 

• Upvote 4
  • WTF? 1

Just now, Mogglez said:

1. I would cover for Tim Tebow if he was back there suffering from the same things Rodgers dealt with tonight, but I can only speak for myself.

2. Purdy is a very good QB who, when it comes to getting his due, is a victim of the talent around him.

3. I will absolutely agree that the gameplan was a huge problem.  They should have aired it out more instead of forcing the run.

4. Adding onto the above, the defense was the largest problem for a number of reasons, but the most overlooked side effect right now is that the Jets simply didn’t have the ball long enough.  The T.O.P, as well as the differential in number of plays ran, was so slanted that the offense needed to be absolutely perfect to even stand a chance tonight, and we all know that they weren’t, mostly because the star skill position players underperformed.

I mean, anybody who watched that game tonight and thought the game was about the QBs is either trolling or didn’t watch that closely. 

the 49ers scored on 8 straight possessions! (When is the last time we let a team score on 8 straight drives??) 

AND - despite all of that scoring, 0 TDs from Purdy on 7.45 yards/attempt. Meanwhile, they ran for 180 yards (on 38 attempts - 4.73 YPA) AND gained 10 rushing first downs! 

the 49ers won because their OL dominated our DL and their DL dominated our OL

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, RevisIsland610 said:

I will say I am worried about the Dline. Lost JFM, lost Huff, Reddick holding out, and they got their sh*t pushed in especially against the run. Not a good performance. 

This is true. The Reddick thing really blindsided us, and I don't think most people realized how suspect our line was left. Our D-line last year was great, and Quinnen is great. It's hard to remove 2 essential pieces with no real replacement though.

• Upvote 3

32 minutes ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

You don't trade away assets, shape your roster, shape your coaching staff and sell your soul for a QB on his last legs for a shot at a SB and get to fall back on excuses we could hear if tyrod taylor had started.

Because tyrod taylor could do what Rodgers did tonight.

Rodgers is supposed to be able to overcome obstacles,not get the excuse train.

I don’t think for a single second that Tyrod orchestrates the game the way that Rodgers did tonight (set protections, audible, identify the pressure, get rid of the ball etc.) so I will disagree there.

As I just mentioned in my other post, with the way that the defense was playing, the offense could not afford to be anything less than absolutely perfect because what they needed, more than anything, was scoring opportunities when they had drives going.  We saw a glimpse of that when they took the 7-3 lead and again when Rodgers got the free play, but then the wheels fell off defensively so quickly after each score that there wasn’t really any way to overcome the fact that the 49ers would respond by scoring on almost every single drive tonight.  It didn’t help that those successful drives by them consisted of a gazillion plays to keep our offense off the field.  Trading a grinder like JFM, who was a jack of all trades, master of none, but pretty good nonetheless, was a mistake and I think everyone who really paid attention to this team the last few years saw that tonight.

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, Grandy said:

This is true. The Reddick thing really blindsided us, and I don't think most people realized how suspect our line was left. Our D-line last year was great, and Quinnen is great. It's hard to remove 2 essential pieces with no real replacement though.

And Jefferson was underrated also. When he went down last year it affected how they defended the run. Tonight's game only helped Reddick. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

I don’t think for a second that Tyrod orchestrates the game the way that Rodgers did tonight (set protections, audible, identify the pressure, etc.) so I will disagree there.

As I just mentioned in my other post, with the way that the defense was playing, the offense could not afford to be anything less than absolutely perfect because what they needed, more than anything, was opportunities when they had drives going.  We saw a glimpse of that when they took the 7-3 lead and again when Rodgers got the free play, but then the wheels fell off defensively so quickly afterwards that there wasn’t really any way to overcome the fact that the 49ers scored on almost every single drive tonight.  It didn’t help that those drives were consisted of a gazillion plays to keep our offense off the field.  Trading a grinder like JFM, who was a jack of all trades, master of none, but pretty good nonetheless, was a mistake and everyone saw that tonight.

Certainly seemed like the team couldn't stop the run...not taking anything away from sf49ers but they saw the game plan and said oh cool your going to let us run cool.

They bet with our CMC they could stop everything else and just limit the run game, but that dude broke our team out there and the coaches would not adjust. Saleh needed to make a choice out there and I thought it was coming after half time.

But never came. Mason was gifted that game never touch till he got a line backer most of the game

Just out coached

• Upvote 2

Jets were beat to a pulp in nearly every aspect of the game

That ultimately falls on the coach to come up with answers to at least try and make the game somewhat competitive 

SF really didn’t even need the threat of the pass in this game, but the amount of open grass 9ers pass catchers were finding themselves in was downright ridiculous 

And Purdy was able to sit back and calmly wait for those receivers and hit them in rhythm with ease 

The Jets D didn’t suddenly stop being talented

They have a head coach and coaching staff which continually fails to properly prepare and motivate and put those players in a position to succeed 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Jets were beat to a pulp in nearly every aspect of the game

That ultimately falls on the coach to come up with answers to at least try and make the game somewhat competitive 

SF really didn’t even need the threat of the pass in this game, but the amount of open grass 9ers pass catchers were finding themselves in was downright ridiculous 

And Purdy was able to sit back and calmly wait for those receivers and hit them in rhythm with ease 

The Jets D didn’t suddenly stop being talented

They have a head coach and coaching staff which continually fails to properly prepare and motivate and put those players in a position to succeed 

It's not an easy thing to do right? I don't anyone thinks that and we even now expect the def to always be in right position and game plan but the reality is the other teams like the sf49ers do too and adjust.

We have never seen our team capable that.

I knew hack would get out coached and our only success happened when rodgers audible the plays, but our def didn't adjust. The thought was good, limit SF to just running that undrafted guy and most teams that would be the right move but that is where we are vulnerable, it was a bad choice. 

Saleh out here spinning is stupid. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Grandy said:

I blame Douglas for letting go of 2 good d-lineman, one of which was our best homegrown rusher in years. Only to replace them with one guy who decided to sit on his couch and eat Doritos instead of play.

Yea, an NFL GM has to be savvier than that.

• Upvote 2

I actually think the game and our performance was better than people are givng it credit for.  A Rogers was excellent.  We were out coached, but then that’s kinda expected.

There were a few plays here and there that made the difference.  We dropped an int that could have been a huge swing.  Several dropped balls, the Breece fumble.  Credit where its due, I think the outcome was mostly about how well the 49ers played.

The run defense was definitely reminiscent of our problems in 2022.  We don’t deal with traps, motions  and delays particularly well, and thats always been a weakness of Saleh’s defense (from an X and o point of view).  The loss of JFM really hurts here (I dont think Reddick solves the problem at all, in fact he might make it worse).   But other than that, we flashed a lot of talent across the game.  Our pursuit was right there everytime, and we did get push (Purdy was under a great deal of pressure).

ALl in all, I think we were close to the level of maybe the best team in the league.  I’m not worried, there is a lot of room to grow.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Grandy said:

And JD. Losing Huff and JFM, and getting a guy who refuses to play is likely the root of our issues tonight.

I will say it again those were self inflicted wounds!

You don’t weaken your team first without having a solution in place.  

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

I will say it again those were self inflicted wounds!

You don’t weaken your team first without having a solution in place.  

Pretty indefensible but plenty still try 

• Post of the Week 1

Didn't want to post right after the game just to let my emotions settle.  There were many areas where the Jets didn't play great but I think it is rust/not playing any preseason games.  On O, there are many new pieces (including Rodgers), especially on the line, and I expected it will take several games before we see things click.   My biggest concern is the run defense.  I am hoping it is fixable and technique/discipline issue combined with a very strong 49ers run game.

They basically had our dline on its heals and any effective run game like that will take away any pass rush.  And let's give the 49ers some credit, there is a reason they have been the NFC champs and to the Super Bowl a couple years in a row.  Their coach is a superb game planner.  We went into their house, opening game, and they punched us in the mouth.

This will immediately give us an idea on how the Jets will handle the adversity.  Best to get this out of the way early in the season, and as Rodgers said, get hot in the second half.  I am sure he mentioned this in the interview on purpose - he could probably see the Jets, as talented a roster they have, aren't at the level of KC or 49ers right now.

• Sympathy 1

7 hours ago, slimjasi said:

Not unfair, but the big issue in this game was the lack of attempts because we never had the ball. 

167 yards on 21 attempts is 8 yards per attempt, which is ok. But not enough attempts.

No one was good tonight, but I don’t see how this game is really about Rodgers. 

https://www.statmuse.com/nfl/ask/nfl-passing-yards-per-attempt-leaders-2023-season

8 yards per attempt would have ranked 5th in the league last season. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1