****The official Jets VS 49ers Game thread****®️©️™️

BP

3 minutes ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

We lost because their lines beat up our lines. 
The Niners are one of the best teams in the league. This was a good litmus test.

I think its more technical than that.  It looked a lot like our 2022 defense where we had a tendency to overpursue and then get exposed on counters.  I think the Dline is coached to do that to some extent, and its more the LBs job to quickly plug the gaps.  So I think it has more to do with our lbing core, but i’d have to rewatch.

As far as pass rush, we didnt finish well (again very 2022ish) but we pushed them right up in the qbs face on many throws.  Thats pretty good.  

I dont think Huff or Reddick would have helped much in this game.  JFM on the other hand was the right size/strength level, as well as the vet savvy

I am disappointed because I thought our days of being embarrassed on national tv were over.  Where are the playmakers on D?  Jermaine Johnson, Quinnen, Sauce Gardner, DJ Reed, Michael Carter, the great Chuck Clark, Quincy Williams, CJ Mosely.  How can not 1 of these guys make a play?  Not 1 play?

This can all be erased with better play starting this Sunday and going into that Bills game 4-1.

But man was last night disappointing.

• Upvote 2

I mean, anybody who watched that game tonight and thought the game was about the QBs is either trolling or didn’t watch that closely. 

the 49ers scored on 8 straight possessions! (When is the last time we let a team score on 8 straight drives??) 

AND - despite all of that scoring, 0 TDs from Purdy on 7.45 yards/attempt. Meanwhile, they ran for 180 yards (on 38 attempts - 4.73 YPA) AND gained 10 rushing first downs! 

the 49ers won because their OL dominated our DL and their DL dominated our OL

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

9 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

I am disappointed because I thought our days of being embarrassed on national tv were over.  Where are the playmakers on D?  Jermaine Johnson, Quinnen, Sauce Gardner, DJ Reed, Michael Carter, the great Chuck Clark, Quincy Williams, CJ Mosely.  How can not 1 of these guys make a play?  Not 1 play?

This can all be erased with better play starting this Sunday and going into that Bills game 4-1.

It's your own fault. No one to blame but yourself. That being said, I lost my appetite for almost 44 seconds watching our D get slapped around like @Jetsfan80 penis in his 20's and 30's. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

I don’t think we got embarrassed at all. We played arguably the best NFC team. Nobody expected us to win or put up 40 points. Keep in mind , last night was the maiden voyage of the Rogers offence, and he seemed pissed. Kind of like working with your dad on some Reno project where he’s taking no bull sh*t.

Playing the niners game 1 was a blessing in disguise. Our players saw first hand what it takes, intensity-wise what it takes to win.

9 hours ago, Mogglez said:

1. I would cover for Jamarcus Russell if he was back there suffering from the same things Rodgers dealt with tonight, but I can only speak for myself.

2. Purdy is a very good QB who, when it comes to getting his due, is a victim of the talent around him.

3. I will absolutely agree that the gameplan was a huge problem.  They should have aired it out more instead of forcing the run.

4. Adding onto the above, the defense was the largest problem for a number of reasons, but the most overlooked side effect right now is that the Jets simply didn’t have the ball long enough.  The T.O.P, as well as the differential in number of plays ran, was so slanted that the offense needed to be absolutely perfect to even stand a chance tonight, and we all know that they weren’t, which is mostly because the star skill position players underperformed.

Who was the better quarterback on the field last night?

11 minutes ago, faba said:

Well that great defense got pushed around last night even without Mcaffrey. Only solace we played one of the best teams in NFL if not the best

But as @Barry McCockinner pointed out many times:  WE are supposed to be the dragon this year.  Or at the very least not the team that gets its sh*t pushed in like that.

Yeah, Week 1 and all, but I'd bet that in a world where we faced the 49ers 6 more times over the course of the year we'd lose 5 of them.  Niners are just a superior program and will continue to be until we stop acting like a clown show as a franchise all the time.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, faba said:

Well that great defense got pushed around last night even without Mcaffrey. Only solace we played one of the best teams in NFL if not the best

I don’t think mccaffrey would have helped them. He is more finesse and our problem yesterday was at the point of contact and tackling 

6 minutes ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

That game ain’t a layup

No it's not.

Interesting box score stat;

While the pass-rush really sucked last night - unless the box score is wrong, the Jets defense actually had 3 sacks. T. Adams, M Clemons & S Gardner all had one sack.

Our O-Line only gave up one sack.

New York Jets vs. San Francisco 49ers Box Score, Summary, and Team Stats - September 9, 2024 Gametracker - CBSSports.com

Not being able to stop the run and being unable to establish an effective running game, were the biggest problems.

• Upvote 3

Just now, Joe W. Namath said:

Agree.  Home opener for them.  Really tough defense and a solid oline/running game.

We are gong to have to play extremely well to beat them.

Lets do this Jets!  Do not make me bring back the Defcon thread.

The bears winning that game was the biggest fluke ever I think they had 2 blocked punts 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, ARodJetsFan said:

No it's not.

Interesting box score stat;

While the pass-rush really sucked last night - the Jets defense actually had 3 sacks. T. Adams, M Clemons & S Gardner all had one sack.

Our O-Line only gave up one sack.

New York Jets vs. San Francisco 49ers Box Score, Summary, and Team Stats - September 9, 2024 Gametracker - CBSSports.com

Not being able to stop the run and being unable to establish an effective running game, were the biggest problems.

They also ran 31 more offensive plays than we did.   

11 hours ago, RevisIsland610 said:

13/21 for 167 1/1 is not terrible especially for his 1st game in 20 months. Just stop. It wasn't Rodgers fault. What game were you watching. 

Agreed and 2 of those passes hit guys right in their hands so his stats should have been 15/21 which is pretty accurate passing. I did not come away from the game thinking where in the hell was Rodgers throwing the ball on most plays (like I use to when I was watching Zach).

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BreeceHallofFame said:

Huff is irrelevant we lost the beef up front that can’t be replaced 

Leki Fotu is also out, but will be back. He was already our best run stopping DT and it's clear he's sorely missed. The real question is if this team can even survive 4+ games without him or if other changes are needed

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Mr. Rogers said:

Leki Fotu is also out, but will be back. He was already our best run stopping DT and it's clear he's sorely missed. The real question is if this team can even survive 4+ games without him or if other changes are needed

And it sucks because Saleh was saying that they thought he could be back by week 3 if we were playing on a normal Sunday that week, but with the short week, they decided to be extra cautious and put him on short term IR. 

• Upvote 1

This probably isn't worth its own thread so I'll post it here ... last night's game was the first ever 32-19 outcome in an NFL game, the 1,085th unique final score in NFL history.

Scorigami!!! 

On a side note - we really need to work on our 2pt conversions. ;-) 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Who was the better quarterback on the field last night?

That’s a loaded question and you know it.

You can’t honestly sit here and tell me with a straight face that if Rodgers was under center for the 49ers that he couldn’t have been as effective, if not more effective than Purdy was for SF with how well they were controlling the game, how wide open their guys were, which was due to their OL dominating our DL.  That’s not a knock on Purdy either; it’s a testament to how good the 49ers are.

The 49ers ran 70 plays, almost all of which were perfectly executed.  The Jets ran 49, and at least 7 of them consisted of drive killing drops, turnovers, and mental errors (i.e. Garrett Wilson not dragging his feet.)  You aren’t winning a game against the defending NFC champions when they can run 70 perfect plays that eat up clock and you can only run 41-42 plays.  Especially if only 21 of those are pass plays and the rest are runs stuffed immediately.

9 hours ago, Mogglez said:

That’s a loaded question and you know it.

You can’t honestly sit here and tell me with a straight face that if Rodgers was under center for the 49ers that he couldn’t have been as effective, if not more effective than Purdy was for SF with how well they were controlling the game, how wide open their guys were, which was due to their OL dominating our DL.  That’s not a knock on Purdy either; it’s a testament to how good the 49ers are.

The 49ers ran 70 plays, almost all of which were perfectly executed.  The Jets ran 49, and at least 7 of them consisted of drive killing drops, turnovers, and mental errors (i.e. Garrett Wilson not dragging his feet.)  You aren’t winning a game against the defending NFC champions when they can run 70 perfect plays that eat up clock and you can only run 41-42 plays.  Especially if only 21 of those are pass plays and the rest are runs stuffed immediately.

Ok so I was going to respond to this earlier, but I was at work and didn’t want to rush it because it’d come off like I’m sassing you directly when it’s more my intent to sass Jets Fans in general today. You know you’re my boy, but…

Why are Jets fans today talking about Rodgers like he’s Sam Darnold all of a sudden and we need to grade him on some Sam Darnold-ass curve? What’s the point of having First Ballot Hall of Famer Aaron Rodgers on the roster if he and the offense are going to come unglued if/when there's a dropped pass or a penalty on a given drive? We have an elite WR and and elite RB and a rebuilt OL filled with capable veteran players and that’s the end result? 13 points where one of the TDs was a gifted free play where the defense effectively pulled up? Zach Wilson could accomplish that much. I do not get the fanbase-wide apologia for what Rodgers and the Jets put up yesterday. They were non-competitive in every aspect of the sport, and the QB was sulking from the opening tip. Stop shaking your head and lead the ******* team, Rodgers. Good God. If you came out of prison after a two-year stretch and I told you that the QB of the Jets went out against the Niners, got blown out, and in the process completed 61% of his passes for a feeble 160 yards, one TD and one INT, you would guess that the QB was still Zach Wilson or a Zach Wilson-level starter. He didn’t lead. He didn’t sustain drives. He sulked when adversity hit. And he was part and parcel of one of the most lopsided dismantlings of  Jets team that we’ve probably ever seen. I understand the impulse to reframe it as an aberration or a being not as bad as it looked, but no. It was that bad. 

• Post of the Week 3

11 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Ok so I was going to respond to this earlier, but I was at work and didn’t want to rush it because it’d come off like I’m sassing you directly when it’s more my intent to sass Jets Fans in general today. You know you’re my boy, but…

Why are Jets fans today talking about Rodgers like he’s Sam Darnold all of a sudden and we need to grade him on some Sam Darnold-ass curve? What’s the point of having First Ballot Hall of Famer Aaron Rodgers on the roster if he and the offense are going to come unglued if/when there's a dropped pass or a penalty on a given drive? We have an elite WR and and elite RB and a rebuilt OL filled with capable veteran players and that’s the end result? 13 points where one of the TDs was a gifted free play where the defense effectively pulled up? Zach Wilson could accomplish that much. I do not get the fanbase-wide apologia for what Rodgers and the Jets put up yesterday. They were non-competitive in every aspect of the sport, and the QB was sulking from the opening tip. Stop shaking your head and lead the ******* team, Rodgers. Good God. If you came out of prison after a two-year stretch and I told you that the QB of the Jets went out against the Niners, got blown out, and in the process completed 61% of his passes for a feeble 160 yards, one TD and one INT, you would guess that the QB was still Zach Wilson or a Zach Wilson-level starter. He didn’t lead. He didn’t sustain drives. He sulked when adversity hit. And he was part and parcel of one of the most lopsided dismantlings of  Jets team that we’ve probably ever seen. I understand the impulse to reframe it as an aberration or a being not as bad as it looked, but no. It was that bad. 

This loss doesn't mean we're toast. But it does mean that maybe this place, and Jet fandom in general, needs to do a lot less "shooting the messenger" of the more skeptical voices amongst us.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Brother, the 49ers had 8 straight scoring drives. That’s the first time that has ever happened since they started tracking that stat.  

Replace Rodgers with any other QB in the NFL last night and the result is the same.

The Jet defense got destroyed. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, WeCantDraftGoodQBs said:

Agreed and 2 of those passes hit guys right in their hands so his stats should have been 15/21 which is pretty accurate passing. I did not come away from the game thinking where in the hell was Rodgers throwing the ball on most plays (like I use to when I was watching Zach).

that TD pass to Lazard was magical. he had a free play and knew exactly where to go.

5 minutes ago, jgb said:

This loss doesn't mean we're toast. But it does mean that maybe this place, and Jet fandom in general, needs to do a lot less "shooting the messenger" of the more skeptical voices amongst us.

Three canary in the coal mines things we saw yesterday:

1. Saleh and Hackett just brutally unprepared for a compromised team they both should have had a lot of familiarity with. 

2. If the Jets, with their new OL and Breece Hall, can’t get any movement in the run game, and the DL can’t stand their ground against an obese Trent Williams and four anonymous dudes on the Niners OL, the team may well be ****ed. 

3. Rodgers looked like he was wearing concrete boots. No explosiveness, especially moving forward in the pocket. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Brother, the 49ers had 8 straight scoring drives. That’s the first time that has ever happened since they started tracking that stat.  

Replace Rodgers with any other QB in the NFL last night and the result is the same.

The Jet defense got destroyed. 

The defense was super bad. The offense, outside of one drive, did not help them

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Three canary in the coal mines things we saw yesterday:

1. Saleh and Hackett just brutally unprepared for a compromised team they both should have had a lot of familiarity with. 

2. If the Jets, with their new OL and Breece Hall, can’t get any movement in the run game, and the DL can’t stand their ground against an obese Trent Williams and four anonymous dudes on the Niners OL, the team may well be ****ed. 

3. Rodgers looked like he was wearing concrete boots. No explosiveness, especially moving forward in the pocket. 

If the lines and the coaching is subpar, rodgers in his prime may not be enough to save jobs.  Rodgers was brought in b/c they thought they had a good enough roster to win with a decent qb with a high football iq.  This isn’t the 1986 broncos where elway runs around for a while and then throws a dart down the field.  

• Upvote 1