D-Line SUCKED

JFM was a fine player, but when did he become Kris Jenkins? The Jets defense under Saleh has always been shaky against the run. They were pretty good for a short while last year up until Al Woods got hurt in the Giant game. 

Going into the game I expected the 9ers to run the ball on us (though not that bad). Our defenses calling card is our pass defense and they made Purdy look like Joe Montana on most 3rd downs and couldnt get him off the field.

The good news is we dont play the 49ers every week. You can give Kyle Shannahan and his dad a mannequin at running back and they will gash you. Their blocking schemes are a thing of beauty.

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, JetsMan57 said:

JFM was a fine player, but when did he become Kris Jenkins? The Jets defense under Saleh has always been shaky against the run. They were pretty good for a short while last year up until Al Woods got hurt in the Giant game. 

Going into the game I expected the 9ers to run the ball on us (though not that bad). Our defenses calling card is our pass defense and they made Purdy look like Joe Montana on most 3rd downs and couldnt get him off the field.

The good news is we dont play the 49ers every week. You can give Kyle Shannahan and his dad a mannequin at running back and they will gash you. Their blocking schemes are a thing of beauty.

Losing a good player for nothing can still affect the team.  In the case of Franklin Myers and Huff we really lost 2 good players for nothing

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

8 minutes ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

Losing a good player for nothing can still affect the team.  In the case of Franklin Myers and Huff we really lost 2 good players for nothing

If you want to be a consistent winning organization you need to be able to cut bait with guys like JFM and have players in the pipeline ready to replace them. That guy should be Michael Clemons. If he isnt up for the gig then that is on Douglas and Saleh. The Denver Broncos on Sunday gave up 5.2 yards a carry with JFM. We need to pump the breaks with this guy.

Losing Huff sucked, but he wouldnt have made a huge different lastnight. The Jets run defense never put theselves in ideal pass rushing situations (2nd and 3rd and longs)

8 hours ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

Team and the fanbase started huffing their own farts about the defensive front and thought they could just plug and play and toss away key guys and not see any fall off.

Will MacDonald is looking like Aaron Maybin out there.

Reddick isn't looking like a "luxury" after today.  The pure arrogance of people on here saying one of the best pass rushers in the league wasn't needed and is just a luxury is still too funny.

Imagine gutting your defensive line so you can play hardball tactics on a contract lmao.

Imagine thinking that a 235lb Edge Rusher would have stopped the run last night.... 

Interesting box score stat;

While the pass-rush really sucked last night - unless the box score is wrong, the Jets defense actually had 3 sacks. T. Adams, M Clemons & S Gardner all had one sack.

Our O-Line only gave up one sack.

New York Jets vs. San Francisco 49ers Box Score, Summary, and Team Stats - September 9, 2024 Gametracker - CBSSports.com

Not being able to stop the run and being unable to establish an effective running game, were the biggest problems.

• Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, ARodJetsFan said:

Interesting box score stat;

While the pass-rush really sucked last night - unless the box score is wrong, the Jets defense actually had 3 sacks. T. Adams, M Clemons & S Gardner all had one sack.

Our O-Line only gave up one sack.

New York Jets vs. San Francisco 49ers Box Score, Summary, and Team Stats - September 9, 2024 Gametracker - CBSSports.com

Not being able to stop the run and being unable to establish an effective running game, were the biggest problems.

I guess Deebo was considered a QB on the tackles Sauce got dinged on. Clemons wut?

If last night's game is a true representation of the Defensive Line, the Jets are in big trouble this year.  The run defense was horrendous, and the pass rush was almost non-existent.

The 49ers punched them in the mouth, and the Jets had NO answers whatsoever.

Hmm, maybe trading JFM for a measly 6th round pick wasn't the wisest decision?  The Jets looked extremely soft at the point of attack.

The tape will be interesting.  The few times I keyed in on Kinlaw, it looked like he was on roller skates out there.  He was being pushed back at will by the 49ers interior OL.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

I guess Deebo was considered a QB on the tackles Sauce got dinged on. Clemons wut?

I don't know but I checked CBS Sports and NFL.com and they both have the same box score stats;

New York Jets at San Francisco 49ers 2024 REG 1 - Game Center (nfl.com)

T. Adams 1 sack

S. Gardner 1 sack

M. Clemons 1 sack

I mean it's not great, but certainly more than I remember seeing.

Our O-line only gave up 1 sack, though I know Rodgers got hit a couple of times last night, which it was probably good for him to get that out of the way.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, DoubleDown said:

If last night's game is a true representation of the Defensive Line, the Jets are in big trouble this year.  The run defense was horrendous, and the pass rush was almost non-existent.

The 49ers punched them in the mouth, and the Jets had NO answers whatsoever.

Hmm, maybe trading JFM for a measly 6th round pick wasn't the wisest decision?  The Jets looked extremely soft at the point of attack.

The tape will be interesting.  The few times I keyed in on Kinlaw, it looked like he was on roller skates out there.  He was being pushed back at will by the 49ers interior OL.

The Run defense definitely needs help and I'd say the defense as a whole, needs to do abetter job tackling, I saw A LOT of missed tackles last night.

2 things I didn't see;

Takk McKinnley - did he even play last night?

LT-III was inactive, curious to say if they change that up next game, I think LT-III would be good against the run.

6 hours ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

I mean Purdey had all day to throw too, wasn't just the run game. I don't even remember us pressuring him once.

true true true...that was pissing me off because I just dont believe he is that good but I think the run game is where we got smoked. They ran at will with an UDFA for chrisrt sake

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

One for the JJ career highlight reel

He looks like he half-assed it there as the guy came down on him. Almost like he was saying "yea, no, I'm not gonna go all out on this one and get blown up. You got that one bud."

1 hour ago, ARodJetsFan said:

I don't know but I checked CBS Sports and NFL.com and they both have the same box score stats;

New York Jets at San Francisco 49ers 2024 REG 1 - Game Center (nfl.com)

T. Adams 1 sack

S. Gardner 1 sack

M. Clemons 1 sack

I mean it's not great, but certainly more than I remember seeing.

Our O-line only gave up 1 sack, though I know Rodgers got hit a couple of times last night, which it was probably good for him to get that out of the way.

Yeah, I looked too. Must have been snacking when it happen. 

• Haha 1

The wide 9 alignment should have been adjusted on the fly. On rushing situations, we should have went a little bit tighter. The DEs where allowing the tackles to to combo block onto the 3/4 tech DT or freely work up to the 2nd level on a LB with ease. Our LB were also sitting back catching blocks especially #44. No aggression what's so ever. 

Leki Fotu is out and imo wasn't that good of a signing.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, #90 said:

Lets get right to the point. #97 Holmes is a light DE UFL REJECT. Why was he playing 50% of the snaps at DT? The guy is terrible and should not even be on the  roster. The 49ers would run right at him and that scrub 49ers RB was already 10 yards down the field. Thank you Joe D for getting rid of JFE and Q  Williams. This is a long term problem and if you think the Titans are not going to run behind their RG you are totally delusional.

Huh?  He was in on 16 of 72 defensive plays.

DE: 11
DT: 4
NT: 1