For those that have faith…

13 hours ago, WowOhWow said:

Help me understand why. I’ve been watching this franchise for 50 years and I have zero faith that all of a sudden Salah is going to start coaching great.  I sat thru Kotite (season tix) and even then didn’t feel this demoralized.  For those that believe he is the leader to end the playoff drought - why? I need some help here

Saleh has been a huge disappointment no doubt - but I simply can't go worse than Kotite.

Im not sure I can identify one thing Kotite did well

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, WowOhWow said:

Help me understand why. I’ve been watching this franchise for 50 years and I have zero faith that all of a sudden Salah is going to start coaching great.  I sat thru Kotite (season tix) and even then didn’t feel this demoralized.  For those that believe he is the leader to end the playoff drought - why? I need some help here

He's all gas and no brakes. 

That alone should fill you with inspiring and positive thoughts. 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, FootballLove said:

Preseason: Only thing worse than NOT playing your QB1 in preseason, and he starts the season rusty, is PLAYING your QB1 in preseason, and he starts the season on IR.

Mahomes played. Purdy played. Most top QBs played at least some in preseason. Why not AR?

First....those cats are all in their 20's. Young and in their prime. If any of them were 40, they would not have played in the PS.

Jets revamped Oline: Our line was re-build to protect AR. It was NOT rebuilt to run the ball. Tyron Smith is near the top in pass blocking. Moses too. BUT, neither are near the top in RUN blocking. In fact, Tyron is known for NOT being a great run blocker.

Remember when Saleh first got here with his 'One Cut and GOOOO Zone Blocking'? Guards and Tackles were drafted for their speed and nimble feet, pulling, getting across the backfield, and blocking a DE? Well, that's not our Oline at the moment. Any edge we were trying to get in the zone-run-blocking has been sold out for better pass blocking. Breece Hall...a great one-cut-and-go runner, will struggle with our pass-block-first Oline.

If we struggle to establish a SOLID run game, this will become a long, long season. Our entire offense is predicated on running the ball (see our last 2 draft picks).

Rodgers played in the preseason last year, was injured 4 plays into the season.  Nobody on the offense line started at all, and the Jets won their opening day game in bruising fashion.  I think maybe it was just one game and the OL will get better as they play more together.

The Jets revamped OL, is in fact, built to the run the ball.  They took 2 players from the right side of the best rushing offense in the league last year and Smith is a do all HOF T...not sure where you're getting he's not good at run blocking.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

Because what is the point if you don't?  

You have no control - No control over the owner, the GM, the coach, the players . . . nothing.

You have no control over the outcome of the games.  So, if you are investing energy into something you have no control over, and continually get upset by it, it is the equivalent to hitting oneself in the head with a hammer and wondering why you have a headache.

I have found over the last decade that if the Jets are getting blown out, I stop watching.  If the Jets are having a bad season, I don't watch any more games.  What time I have left on this planet is better served using my energy toward things I directly contribute to. 

So, to answer your question - I have hope the Jets will win, and now really don't care if they do so.  They are the perennial underdog you love to cheer for, who will (hopefully) one day pull off a Rudy moment.  Until then, I have stuff to do.  

Luckily for CanadaSteve and other like minded individuals, the Jets usually let you know they suck early. If one is paying attention, you usually know by game 1 or 2. 

This year, it took one game. 

CanadaSteve now has lots of extra time for that yard work his significant other wants done. 

11 hours ago, Embrace the Suck said:

I don't think it's faith in RS. It's faith that a hof qb will make the offense work regardless of coaching, and that the D will perform somewhere around the level they did last year.

Not crazy to think Rodgers can get the offense going to  the point it outscores the awfulness of Saleh's defense. Not gonna work in a playoff game in KC, but could net 11 wins.

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, doitny said:

because we have Rodgers for one.

2. Saleh won 7 games with 3 of the worst QBs in the NFL.

3. He ended the NE and Phila streaks. he can end the playoff streak.

it all comes down to the QB like with every other team in the league. 

Monday was bad and i 100% blame Saleh. there were a few of us who said to play the starters but got killed here by most of you. so this is what happens when 3/5ths of your OL is new and another missed the last 12 games. and your QB is coming off a year long injury never get a preseason game to work out the kinks.

SF played Purdy in 2 games in preseason and im betting he didnt play with the backups.

SF was too good a team not to get reps in preseason games. im sorry but i dont believe in the practices vs other teams where the QB has a red shirt on and is in no danger of getting hit. 

its too early to lose faith with Rodgers who looked good. it also looked like they were being conservative with him in his 1st game back. i expect the offense to be better going forward.

Cleveland won 11 games with 5 of the worst QB's in the game last year and a team very similiar to the Jets.  Switch HC and the Jets probably make the playoffs last year.

Agree it's way to early to lose faith.  Rodgers looked both good and bad.  Great arm, ball exploded out quickly.  Slow of foot and nervous feet.  He might well get a lot better with more play.  He also might take some hits that impede that progress.  He really hasn't played under contact conditions for a very long time.  

Cleveland won 11 games with 5 of the worst QB's in the game last year and a team very similiar to the Jets.  Switch HC and the Jets probably make the playoffs last year.
Agree it's way to early to lose faith.  Rodgers looked both good and bad.  Great arm, ball exploded out quickly.  Slow of foot and nervous feet.  He might well get a lot better with more play.  He also might take some hits that impede that progress.  He really hasn't played under contact conditions for a very long time.  

Disagree.

They had Flacco balling out last year. They have a better attacking defense as well.

Our QB situation was much much worse than the browns.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Mogglez said:

Dead serious answer?

- The team has talent.  That much is obvious.

- The jury is still out on Saleh, but we’ve been down the “talented defensive coordinator who is very rah-rah” route before and somehow eeked out back to back AFC championship games with them.  I don’t think Saleh is an Andy Reid type of HC, but I think he is good enough to get a talented team somewhere and maybe a little magic happens, especially with Aaron under center.  Zac Taylor looked awful in Cincinnati, got a great year out of his talented team, particularly his franchise QB, and they made a Super Bowl, almost winning it.  Even though the Bengals seem to have fallen back down to Earth, I still think guys on the Taylor/Saleh level can get to, and win, a championship.

-  I have so much other deeper personal stuff that I am negative about in life, that I mentally can’t allow myself to become so cynical that I can’t enjoy the sport I love more than any other.  I’m not spewing those things here, but the Jets mean a lot to me for a lot of different reasons.  If there ever is a day where the Jets or football don’t hold that sentimental value any longer, then something very bad happened in my life.  It is the textbook definition of hope, but I’d rather live my life clinging to faith and hope than be miserable.

Well said. Agree with all three points.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

12 minutes ago, jgb said:

You say bad coaches can win a ring, I just didn’t understand how Payton fit that premise (which I agree with my the way).

Because he's a sh*tty coach who rode the coattails of a HOF QB in Drew Brees and had him for damn near 20 years and made as many NFC Champ games as Rex Ryan did in the AFC w/ Sanchez.  His SB was 20 years ago and he's a below .500 coach in the playoffs since then.  Bounty gate, retired like a bitch a year after Brees did because he sucked at being a HC and now he's stinking up the joint in Denver because he sucks.

It's like the people who call Mike McCarthy sh*tty?  What's the difference?  

• Upvote 4

7 minutes ago, JiFtheOracle said:

Because he's a sh*tty coach who rode the coattails of a HOF QB in Drew Brees and had him for damn near 20 years and made as many NFC Champ games as Rex Ryan did in the AFC w/ Sanchez.  His SB was 20 years ago and he's a below .500 coach in the playoffs since then.  Bounty gate, retired like a bitch a year after Brees did because he sucked at being a HC and now he's stinking up the joint in Denver because he sucks.

It's like the people who call Mike McCarthy sh*tty?  What's the difference?  

Oh my bad, I thought you were just saying he’s a bad human. Now I see you’re saying he’s a poor coach and that him being a POS was an add on. Thanks for explaining. :) 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Biggs said:

5 of those wins came with Watson as QB and he wasnt as bad last year as he looked in week 1. another 4 wins came with Flacco. those 2 are much better than the 3 QBs we had.

PJ Walker, Dorian Thompson Robinson and Jeff Driscol are equally as bad as we had last year and they went 2-4 with them. so i disagree on that. nobody had a worst QB room than Robert Saleh, not even close.

but Sean Payton is trying to top that. his QB room might be worst.

I won't start being concerned until they are at 6 losses. So it could be mid October at the earliest that I would start freaking out. It might never happen.

I'm not a Salah fan. His defense is pretty much based on the DL getting to the QB but when they don't he or Ubrich  but he is not getting fired so I have to live with it.

I think they going to be fine. 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, WowOhWow said:

Reading this, I feel like like the character of 2001 Space Odyssey sees himself in the mirror as an old man.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Dead serious answer?

- The jury is still out on Saleh, but we’ve been down the “talented defensive coordinator who is very rah-rah” route before and somehow eeked out back to back AFC championship games with them.  I don’t think Saleh is an Andy Reid type of HC, but I think he is good enough to get a talented team somewhere and maybe a little magic happens, especially with Aaron under center.  Zac Taylor looked awful in Cincinnati, got a great year out of his talented team, particularly his franchise QB, and they made a Super Bowl, almost winning it.  Even though the Bengals seem to have fallen back down to Earth, I still think guys on the Taylor/Saleh level can get to, and win, a championship.

-  I have so much other deeper personal stuff that I am negative about in life, that I mentally can’t allow myself to become so cynical that I can’t enjoy the sport I love more than any other.  I’m not spewing those things here, but the Jets mean a lot to me for a lot of different reasons.  If there ever is a day where the Jets or football don’t hold that sentimental value any longer, then something very bad happened in my life.  It is the textbook definition of hope, but I’d rather live my life clinging to faith and hope than be miserable.

A Ferrari in the hands of a dumb driver is a pretty sh*tty car.

Coaching is over rated. Unless you believe Nathaniel Hackett is one of the best OCs of all time. If you give him credit for rodgers winning back to back MVPs while approaching 40. 

• Upvote 1

Dead serious answer?

-  I have so much other deeper personal stuff that I am negative about in life, that I mentally can’t allow myself to become so cynical that I can’t enjoy the sport I love more than any other.  I’m not spewing those things here, but the Jets mean a lot to me for a lot of different reasons.  If there ever is a day where the Jets or football doesn’t hold that sentimental value any longer, then something very bad happened in my life.  It is the textbook definition of hope, but I’d rather live my life clinging to faith and hope than be miserable.

Hear hear!

I don't see any point in wallowing in misery and saying this team sucks from day 1. It's a new season, there's talent, there's a HOF QB. Enjoy the ride until we're out of the race. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 3

Lol i opened this thread thinki g hope would be provided

21 minutes ago, Ecuadorian Jet said:

Is it obvious? Didn't see a lot of talent last Monday 

I mean, unless you think Breece Hall, as well as Garrett Wilson are going to suck all year long, the offensive line that protected our QB from a lethal pass rush for an entire game is going to fall off a cliff despite the resume of the players on that line, that the Mike Williams addition is going to mean absolutely nothing as he gets more snaps, and that Aaron Rodgers is only going to regress from a very good performance when he plays weaker teams then, yes, I believe that it’s very obvious.

It was week 1, on the road, going against the reigning NFC champions, with a revamped roster and QB coming back from an injury that kept him out of live-game action for a full calendar year.  I have been saying since May that I didn’t know where some people were getting their expectations from if they think we were going to march in there and make some kind of statement.  If this is still a discussion in week 6 I’ll hit the panic button, but the truth is I never thought for a second that we were beating the 49ers to start the season unless they really f’d up and everything broke right for us.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

12 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

I mean, unless you think Breece Hall, as well as Garrett Wilson are going to suck all year long, the offensive line that protected our QB from a lethal pass rush for an entire game is going to fall off a cliff despite the resume of the players on that line, that the Mike Williams addition is going to mean absolutely nothing as he gets more snaps, and that Aaron Rodgers is only going to regress from a very good performance when he plays weaker teams then, yes, I believe that it’s very obvious.

It was week 1, on the road, going against the reigning NFC champions, with a revamped roster and QB coming back from an injury that kept him out of live-game action for a full calendar year.  I have been saying since May that I didn’t know where some people were getting their expectations from if they think we were going to march in there and make some kind of statement.  If this is still a discussion in week 6 I’ll hit the panic button, but the truth is I never thought for a second that we were beating the 49ers to start the season unless they really f’d up and everything broke right for us.

It’s too early to panic but many of us have seen this before. Originally the niners game looked out of reach all offseason but we hoped they’d at least be competitive. This was a weakened niners team without CMC and the jets weren’t competitive at all. It’s still too soon to panic but the jets did a great job of getting embarrassed which should not be what happens to a good team given the edge that we had with CMC being out.

Hope and faith are fine and encouraged but there’s legitimate reason for concern because it shows that nothing changes regardless of the talent level of this team and the issue is becoming “can this team overcome the terrible coaching staff?”. I don’t think there’s an easy solution for that one mid season. 

Dead serious answer?

-  I have so much other deeper personal stuff that I am negative about in life, that I mentally can’t allow myself to become so cynical that I can’t enjoy the sport I love more than any other.  I’m not spewing those things here, but the Jets mean a lot to me for a lot of different reasons.  If there ever is a day where the Jets or football doesn’t hold that sentimental value any longer, then something very bad happened in my life.  It is the textbook definition of hope, but I’d rather live my life clinging to faith and hope than be miserable.

Please know that the Jets stuff is ALWAYS second to your personal stuff and that being out here is often a pleasant distraction. 

It is why I use the Charile Brown moniker from when I was a little boy and my dad introduced me to the Jets and gave me a Namath Football.

Well, my mother passed from cancer over 14 years ago and I still miss her and my father a Commanding Officer in the NYPD, who I lived with until two years ago, who had dementia and memory loss for over a decade and who literally died in my arms as I tried to perform CPR is also missed.

Life by its nature is soooo impermanent and I use the Jets as a reminder to focus on those things that make us smile, laugh, shed some tears, and care about others.

So please keep on coming out here it will help everyone smile a little bit longer when you do.....

Lets Go Jets! :) 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

16 hours ago, WowOhWow said:

Just remember something.  Man looks in the abyss, there's nothing staring back at him. At that moment, man finds his character. And that is what keeps him out of the abyss.

Wall Street Bud Fox Quotes. QuotesGram

Lots of reasons to be optimistic, including but not limited to the fact that we have a strong D, strong OL, HoF QB who showed he's still got it, a top 3 RB and top 5-10 WR.

The easiest and simplest answer though is mafematics and the fun adage of "anyone can be beat any week". We've played a grand total of 5.89% of our total regular season games so far and we happened to be really bad while our opponent was really good in that given game. We still have 94.11% games remaining. 

• Upvote 2

Usually, this time of year, the Mets have been long-since eliminated from the playoffs.  So at least we have that to tide us over (for those of us who lean that way).  This week will determine a lot for me.  I can stomach losing to SF even though it was such an ugly game on both sides of the ball, but TEN is a team we need to smack like Kris Jenkins rushing to the buffet table.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1