our tight ends are awful

kmnj

10 minutes ago, Larz said:

@slats

The Giants must be idiots for not taking Bowers either.

They're 0-2, and their TE room sucks way more than the Jets'.

Bowers is the difference maker they need 🤣

He looks good so far, but I didn't see him beating man coverage.  It's manufactured touches and finding soft spots in zones on broken / 2nd reaction plays.

Even if he turns out to Kelce, Raiders are already paying Bowers like an elite TE, whereas Kelce was a 3rd rounder making peanuts on his rookie deal.

• Thumb Down 1

23 minutes ago, JiFtheOracle said:

Guys, guys, look at the Raiders and Gardner Minshew, "pump the ball" to Brock Bowers, as he scrambles to evade contact, extend the play and find Bowers 30 yards down field!!!

PUMPING HIM THE BALL YA'LL, GOTTA PROVE A POINT

https://youtube.com/shorts/clD4A9Cbohc?si=YRBdklheurUfTUuy

It’s cool. I understand that if your whole internet shtick is pretending to be right all the time, taking early victory laps is sorta imperative. That doesn’t make Bowers a smart pick for them at #13. They drafted a TE last year with the fourth pick of the 2nd round who was supposed to take a big step up this year and instead he has three catches for 14 yards. Not a bright organization. 

Middling QB relies on TE safety blanket, news at 11. 

Fashanu will prove to be the better pick, even if he doesn’t play a down this year (and I hope he doesn’t have to). Brian Thomas, who I also would’ve considered at #11 has 166 yards on 6 catches so far in his young career, he’ll likely prove to be a better pick, too. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, slats said:

When’s the last time taking a TE in the first round was a good idea? 

2023 Dalton Kincaid 673 yards and 2 TDs. Has 44 yards thru two games so far this year. 

2021 the much hyped Kyle Pitts, who managed a 1000 yard season as a rookie, and then hit 1000, total over his next two years 

2019 TJ Hockenson seems to be finding his groove on his second team, topping out at 960 yards and 5 TDs, averaging a little over 700 yards/season

2018 Hayden Hurst, best season by far was 571 yards and 6 TDs

2017 OJ Howard, best season 565 yards and 5 TDs

2014 Eric Ebron, his one great year was 750 yards and 13 TDs, never had another season with more than 5 TDs

2013 Tyler Eifert, best season 615 yards and 13 TDs, no other season over 500 yards or 5 TDs

Every one of those guys was either the next Gronk or the next Kelce, and yet none of them were. The Raiders are pumping the ball to Bowers because a., they’re getting absolute squat from their RB position and b., teams that make questionable draft picks often do all they can to make that pick look less questionable (see Pitts’ rookie year). The Raiders didn’t go after Bowers in that draft, either, they just went into panic mode when the Falcons took their guy at #8. 

Drafting a TE in the first round is dumb. Drafting an undersized TE who either refused to test or was physically unable to all winter and spring would be tantamount to malpractice. They’re never worth it, whereas just a competent starting caliber OT is always worth a first round pick. 

Thank you Joe Douglas .      Raiders run struggles has more to do with Zeus being drafted for power scheme and they are asking him to run zone block plays.  ( not his game ). When they run power he clearly does very well.       Also the offense line not right yet.   Should be getting their second round pick back Jackson Powers Johnson back, and Their third rounder Dj Glaze at some point going to force himself into starting lineup.( been impressive all offseason )     Lt K Miller has missed a lot of time last year, and all of this offseason recovering from shoulder surgery.   He just started practicing a couple days before season starts.   He just has to get in game shape .   Hopeful we see this offense line Lt K Miller Lg T Munford c Jackson Powers Johnson Rg d Parham Rt Dj Glaze .  With the weapons Raiders have on offense look out even with Minshew at qb with weapons they possess on offense.  Right now interior of Cody whitehair c Andre James , and d Parham are very small interior.  Massive Dt are having their way with all of them.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the Raiders move Mayer. Maybe even to the Jets, trading them a mostly blocking TE in return to take his place (e.g. Ruckert). 

I never saw Mayer in school so I've no idea what kind of receiver he is or was billed to be, only that he wouldn't have been such a high pick if he was seen as just a blocking-only guy, and he was on the Jets' radar when they took McDonald. (Then again, see: Brady, Kyle and Becht, Anthony). 

If he's not a major upgrade as a receiver at TE then they may as well just stick with Ruckert as the blocking TE2 and hold their draft picks.

One of the issues is Rodgers just may not love throwing short to mid-range over the middle even if Conklin was a much more dynamic receiver just because there's opportunity for defenders from an extra side of the field, that he may not see when releasing the ball or his target has to be a mind-reader when to keep running and when to stutter-step the route before the ball is airborne; more variables that can lead to turnovers compared to painting the sidelines within 10-12 yards of the LOS. He's been such a low-interception guy for so long there may be some well-thought method to his madness, even if it means not taking full advantage of the entire field. Live to fight another down & all that.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, kmnj said:

Joe whiffed on a 24 million dollar CJ

Conklin is very avg at best- 2 catches 16 YTD

This is why folks wanted Brock-it was a no brainer-jets have no viable TE and need somebody other than Wilson to catch the ball

Thanks Joe

In order to get catches, Conklin needs targets.

He's gotten very few & I have seen times where he's been open but was not thrown to because he was probably the 3rd or 4th read on a particular play, which isn't his fault.

If Conklins gets targets, he will produce.

I was never sold on Ruckert, I'd rather see B. Bates get a shot.

Or they could call up Firsker or Kuntz.

26 minutes ago, slats said:

It’s cool. I understand that if your whole internet shtick is pretending to be right all the time, taking early victory laps is sorta imperative. That doesn’t make Bowers a smart pick for them at #13. They drafted a TE last year with the fourth pick of the 2nd round who was supposed to take a big step up this year and instead he has three catches for 14 yards. Not a bright organization. 

Fashanu will prove to be the better pick, even if he doesn’t play a down this year (and I hope he doesn’t have to). Brian Thomas, who I also would’ve considered at #11 has 166 yards on 6 catches so far in his young career, he’ll likely prove to be a better pick, too. 

If know Luke Getsky offense it relies on having multiple Tightends .    Raiders have not one but three Mackey award winners .( best te in college football).  B Bowers , M Mayer, and Harrison Bryant. ( best tightend room and not even close).  
M Mayer has chance to be top five Te, bowers is just a different level tightend .     You saw what Gronk and Hernandez were able to do without real number 1 wr.     Raiders have WRs too Devante Adams, J Meyers ( 49ers tried to trade for him - Raiders laugh at them) and Tre Tucker .   When have that many weapons some guys numbers are not going to be what they should be.  ( way down the options ).    Also offense line not there yet.    The qb has to get rid of the ball a lot sooner he would like to.  

• Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the Raiders move Mayer. Maybe even to the Jets, trading them a mostly blocking TE in return to take his place (e.g. Ruckert). 

I never saw Mayer in school so I've no idea what kind of receiver he is or was billed to be, only that he wouldn't have been such a high pick if he was seen as just a blocking-only guy, and he was on the Jets' radar when they took McDonald. (Then again, see: Brady, Kyle and Becht, Anthony). 

If he's not a major upgrade as a receiver at TE then they may as well just stick with Ruckert as the blocking TE2 and hold their draft picks.

One of the issues is Rodgers just may not love throwing short to mid-range over the middle even if Conklin was a much more dynamic receiver just because there's opportunity for defenders from an extra side of the field, that he may not see when releasing the ball or his target has to be a mind-reader when to keep running and when to stutter-step the route before the ball is airborne; more variables that can lead to turnovers compared to painting the sidelines within 10-12 yards of the LOS. He's been such a low-interception guy for so long there may be some well-thought method to his madness, even if it means not taking full advantage of the entire field. Live to fight another down & all that.

Michael Mayer and Brock Bowers compliment each other very well . Both can do it all block and catch .  Just one does little better than the other. ( Mayer - better blocker - b bowers- better all round receiver even though Mayer amazing on contested catches.( better than Brock)     Raiders aren’t  trading either one as the tightend position much cheaper have two elite tightends than  have two elite receivers. ( could trade the other Mackey award tight end- Harrison Bryant)

Raiders have three top WRs.   1a D Adams 1b J Meyers( 49ers last week try to acquire him in a trade .  C Tre  Tucker - one fastest guys .  Been open just Minshew has been reluctant to take the shot.   

The offense line gets right this offense is going to be tough to stop against any defense with whoever they have at qb.     At some point talk is Mathew Stafford could be an option for the Raiders at trade deadline.  

3 hours ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

When was the last time Tyron Smith played a full season

Olu is going to play this year at some point

And it's been 2 games

Conklin will get his numbers

Brock Bowers is leading the entire league in receptions and rec. yards as a brand-spanking new rookie.  There's really no way to avoid the fact that he's a stud and would help this team (or any team) immediately.  Olu is nice.  But he's not on the field.

• Upvote 2

Typical overreaction.  

We can look at Ruckert missing the TD as some big minus, but IMO it is a result of not working with Rodgers much.  He was settling into the spot.  There were a few missed shots.  Allen missed a couple of throws too.  Rodgers hasn't really fed a TE since Jermichael Finley.  I think Conklin will be fine.  This offense is in its infancy and acting like the TEs suck and Corley is a bust are premature takes that hopefully will not age well.  Just like the offensive line being terrible. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, kmnj said:

This is why folks wanted Brock-it was a no brainer-jets have no viable TE and need somebody other than Wilson to catch the ball

Thanks Joe

I was told Bowers was not needed as the Jets had already re-signed Kenny Yeboah prior to the draft.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

37 minutes ago, slats said:

He isn’t doing either of those things. 

Perhaps he's referring to tight ends and not all receivers.  As a TE, Bowers ranks first in receptions (15), yards (156) and rec percentage.  On sixteen targets this season he has fifteen catches, a rate of 93.8%.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, slats said:

I think the more appropriate response would have been:

"wow, you're right JiFtheOracle.  You really know this draft stuff.  The guy is a beast on day 1,  just like you said he would be.  And wow, he's catching the ball all over the field and not just at the LOS and the Raiders are not just "pumping" anything  to anyone for any reason other than to win a Football game, which they did successfully in Baltimore and wow, he could probably really helped the NY Jets since G5 in the only player on the team who can get open consistently and wow, the TE's on this team really do suck and wow, Conklin is truly overrated and wow, Bowers would have been huge for this team because for some reason, they're not featuring Corley like I thought they would but that's probably because, wow, you were right, his learning curve is massive and he's not going to be the YAC Mack Truck king in the NFL like he was in Conference USA and wow, my feelings for you have never been more true"

But this was nice, I guess. 

• Post of the Week 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, BreeceHallofFame said:

TE is just not a premium position outside of a handful of guys. It’s week two and we are just getting into the groove of the offense. Mike Williams and Garrett need more targets before we think about involving the TEs. We also have elite pass catching RBs that take opportunities away from TEs

your thinking is medieval - the best two teams in the nfl have both elite tight ends in kittle and kelce - only because tight end wasnt that premium in the past doesnt mean it wont be now or in the future 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Raideraholic said:

If know Luke Getsky offense it relies on having multiple Tightends .    Raiders have not one but three Mackey award winners .( best te in college football).  B Bowers , M Mayer, and Harrison Bryant. ( best tightend room and not even close).  
M Mayer has chance to be top five Te, bowers is just a different level tightend .     You saw what Gronk and Hernandez were able to do without real number 1 wr.     Raiders have WRs too Devante Adams, J Meyers ( 49ers tried to trade for him - Raiders laugh at them) and Tre Tucker .   When have that many weapons some guys numbers are not going to be what they should be.  ( way down the options ).    Also offense line not there yet.    The qb has to get rid of the ball a lot sooner he would like to.  

2 hours ago, Raideraholic said:

Michael Mayer and Brock Bowers compliment each other very well . Both can do it all block and catch .  Just one does little better than the other. ( Mayer - better blocker - b bowers- better all round receiver even though Mayer amazing on contested catches.( better than Brock)     Raiders aren’t  trading either one as the tightend position much cheaper have two elite tightends than  have two elite receivers. ( could trade the other Mackey award tight end- Harrison Bryant)

Raiders have three top WRs.   1a D Adams 1b J Meyers( 49ers last week try to acquire him in a trade .  C Tre  Tucker - one fastest guys .  Been open just Minshew has been reluctant to take the shot.   

The offense line gets right this offense is going to be tough to stop against any defense with whoever they have at qb.     At some point talk is Mathew Stafford could be an option for the Raiders at trade deadline.  

Bro... who the **** are you talking to?? LOL

WE. DON'T. CARE. 

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, TheAustrian said:

your thinking is medieval - the best two teams in the nfl have both elite tight ends in kittle and kelce - only because tight end wasnt that premium in the past doesnt mean it wont be now or in the future 

I think you’re the one stuck in the past. Kelce is a shell of himself and only has 26 yards on the year. Only one TE broke 1000 yards in 2023. 

Just now, BreeceHallofFame said:

I think you’re the one stuck in the past. Kelce is a shell of himself and only has 26 yards on the year. Only one TE broke 1000 yards in 2023. 

it isn’t important to break 1000 yards . It’s important to get 5 yards on 3rd a d 5 and that’s what good tight ends do . Another proof for your poor knowledge of the game 

• Upvote 2
  • More Ugh 1

59 minutes ago, kmnj said:

joe signed CJ to a 24 million dollar contract remember he was going to be our primary pass catching TE lol

Who said that?

In fact, we had a debate over it on the JetNation podcast.  I was sure after watching every Uzomah rep from the previous season that Conklin would be the primary TE with Uzomah acting as TE2.

And I don't really worry about the "up to" money because that doesn't matter.  What mattes is how much you pay him against the cap.  He was obviously overpaid either way, but no way in hell the Jets paid him $24 million.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, TheAustrian said:

it isn’t important to break 1000 yards . It’s important to get 5 yards on 3rd a d 5 and that’s what good tight ends do . Another proof for your poor knowledge of the game 

because TEs are the only way to get 5 yards in the NFL. I proved you wrong so you shifted the goal posts from overall production to 3rd and 5 conversions. We have the best receiving back in the NFL, we don’t need an elite TE. Football 101.

the Jets are converting 50% of their third downs, the bills led the NFL in 2023 with a 50.3% 3rd down conversion rate. 

Thanks Joe

He has only been targeted 4 times. Hardly time to panic. Using this as the premise of your argument is, well, unconvincing. Sorry.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

6 hours ago, extmenace said:

No, this is why we didn’t take bowers. This offense with Aaron Rodgers doesn’t utilize the TE position. You don’t draft a TE that high to give him 30-40 targets a year. Rodgers, year in and year out, has the lowest percentage of passes thrown to the middle of the field, the area of the field where TE’s do their work. Conklin is a professional TE, he’s going to have a down year though because he won’t be utilized. 

you beat me to it. 

i was just looking at Rodgers last 4 years in GB and the TEs avg about 60 catches each year. and thats ALL of them. about 3 TEs.

so your right, Rodgers doesnt throw to them much at all.

7 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

The group is underwhelming as a whole. Conklin isn't awful and Rodgers doesn't use the TE all that much.

We'd all love to see Bowers on the squad. He'd still be an immediate contributor and another weapon for the offense. That said, fashanu is excellent depth at tackle when we have an oft injured LT. 

The most important thing this season is a healthy Aaron Rodgers and fashanu is the LT of the future.

Bowers would be a waste.  Rodgers only looks for #s 20 and 5.

• Thumb Down 1