Reddicks’s Agent Fires Him

9 hours ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Fleeced?  Lol.

They gave up a 2nd round pick in successive years, and pay him as an average starter on an annual basis.

Second round picks have roughly a 33% chance turning into an average starter. 

So the Jets gave up less than a solid starter to trade for Aaron Rodgers.

Yeah- they got fleeced.  Smh!

What’s the verb you would use to describe the Deshaun Watson, Trey Lance and Russel Wilson trades?

The drama around here sometimes 

They gave it up to get a washed Aaron Rodgers, a washed Alan Lazzard and a washed OC.   A failed 2nd round pick would have been a huge upgrade.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

Howie is having a rough couple of years....the Howie can do no wrong train is about to come into station big time.

All GMs make mistakes.  IIRC, the 49ers' GM traded 3 #1s to move up to grab Trey Lance but probably doesn't get any crap for it because he lucked into Purdy at Mr. Irrelevant. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

8 hours ago, doitny said:

am i the only one who thinks this is some coincidence this happend a day after Saleh got fired?

i know this board is 90% behind Saleh getting fired but most people ( NFL GMS, ex players and such ) call this a bad look and way too early. could they be right? i think so.

could it be Reddick told his Agent to get a deal done last week but after seeing this changed his mind. im not saying he had a love for Saleh but this was a bad time to do this. 

his agent probably said he worked so hard to get a deal done and he is almost there and now you change your mind...your fired.

as of now we look like we are cleaning house at the end of the year. who would want to come here now. i wouldn't be surprised if by next week you hear Adams took us off his list of teams he wants to go to.

But also don’t forget that Woody made a public plea in his press conference to Reddick.  Which was really the first public comments we’ve heard from the Jets regarding this in quite some time.

Perhaps Woodys statement caused more disagreement between player and agent resulting in the agent saying bye?

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, Rob Moore said:

But also don’t forget that Woody made a public plea in his press conference to Reddick.  Which was really the first public comments we’ve heard from the Jets regarding this in quite some time.

Perhaps Woodys statement caused more disagreement between player and agent resulting in the agent saying bye?

This strikes me as likely.  How often have we seen an owner publicly beg a player to show up?  Woody is trying to throw millions at him but he refuses to take it.  If I’m the agency I’m taking this as a bad look. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Larz said:

Oh ok. So it’s more of a week 11 thing lol

From what I remember about the language of the CBA that was posted on here earlier in the summer, I don’t think it’s quite so cut and dried as that. I’d love to see someone who knows more about this weigh in. But while the CBA is pretty clear about a player who misses rostered games for other reasons needing at least 6 games on the roster to accrue a season, it also seems to indicate there’s some subjectivity about when a player who has NEVER REPORTED to his team until later in the season would be eligible to accrue a full season. Again, i don’t remember the exact language — but it definitely was not clear, and I think there’s some reason to believe that Reddick might need more than just 6 games to reach free agency next year. Could be why this has happened with the agent now.

12 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

I am on the side of the contract.

I don't want to hear about the player's this and that or the owner that and this. That all matters before the contract is signed. Once the contract is signed, both sides must abide by it. End of story.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I don't think I'd even want him to play for us if he'd only be reporting for the minimum 6 games so he can leave ASAP.  

Yup. The last thing we need is to be competing for a wildcard and have him loafing on the field

11 hours ago, Beerfish said:

two seconds for a guy that has won 2 game sin 2 years.

Plus moving down in the 1st round costing us an ot

About 6 total jag packet players that made this team far worse last year.

HACKETT

Endless drama

Yeah, Douglas got fleeced for a guy that no one wanted and he was bidding agaisnt himself

Technically 3 wins.

scent-ofawome.gif

2 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Has he done himself any favors so far by not reporting?

No. I'm sure somehow in his mind this approach was going to force someone to give him a new deal. As stupid as that has been, is there any way he could possibly justify loafing on the field getting him a good deal?

I'm going with no.

2 hours ago, BP said:

He probably just doesn’t want to play for the Jets. But it is soooo stupid on his part. The Jets are renowned for unloading the vault on washed up players in the twilight of their careers. He’s not washed up and can get his big pay day.

Combination of greed and stupidity, but lots of both. 

I don’t think it specifically has to do with the Jets, or he’d have (effectively) blocked the trade by making it known beforehand he will never play for the Jets.

If nothing else it was a good fit as he wouldn’t have to move too far (if he’d have to move at all), and being on this defense was enough to get an inferior, part time player 10 sacks. Plus Saleh never liked pushing any veteran aside in favor of a younger player so McDonald would still be used sparingly at best.

I wouldn’t call it greed to try to get the maximum payout he can in a short remaining career, but it was and is total stupidity. He just badly overestimated his value, thinking he could fully hold out and get the team to cave as though he was unicorn-irreplaceable like Lamb or T.Williams.

It was doubly stupid to stay holding out after JJ’s injury didn’t make the Jets come begging. At that point his opportunity to earn the payday he wanted was even greater. Yes it came with some risk, but his way he’ll never earn back what he lost.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Beerfish said:

two seconds for a guy that has won 2 game sin 2 years.

Plus moving down in the 1st round costing us an ot

About 6 total jag packet players that made this team far worse last year.

HACKETT

Endless drama

Yeah, Douglas got fleeced for a guy that no one wanted and he was bidding agaisnt himself

So because Rodgers was injured and missed a year the deal sucks? 
Seriously you’re just whining for the sake of whining. 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Gaffneycatch81 said:

From what I remember about the language of the CBA that was posted on here earlier in the summer, I don’t think it’s quite so cut and dried as that. I’d love to see someone who knows more about this weigh in. But while the CBA is pretty clear about a player who misses rostered games for other reasons needing at least 6 games on the roster to accrue a season, it also seems to indicate there’s some subjectivity about when a player who has NEVER REPORTED to his team until later in the season would be eligible to accrue a full season. Again, i don’t remember the exact language — but it definitely was not clear, and I think there’s some reason to believe that Reddick might need more than just 6 games to reach free agency next year. Could be why this has happened with the agent now.

Accrued seasons is in the CBA but since Reddick is a veteran... Accrued seasons don't matter... It all goes back to that wr I forget his name that went to arbitration after coming back mid season and the arbiter said that was enough to honor a contract year... So that is the only basis right now because it will have to go to arbitration and they will need to decide. 

This is going on absurd and I am not sure that legally he will have any way to win... I think his best case now might be to hold out the season and sue the Jets to release him... But I doubt he will win that either. 

I the end he is going to end up in the vain of Barry Sanders career... Detriot just held is rights and he never came back. 

48 minutes ago, DonCorleone said:

I am on the side of the contract.

I don't want to hear about the player's this and that or the owner that and this. That all matters before the contract is signed. Once the contract is signed, both sides must abide by it. End of story.

He is abiding to the contract.  He's not playing and the Jets aren't paying him.

Just now, JoJoTownsell1 said:

That's like saying you abided by the speed limit laws after you paid a ticket for going 100 in a 50.

That's gibberish.   Reddick isn't a slave.  He's not playing.  He has no obligation to play.  The Jets have no obligation to pay him for not playing.  The only contractual obligation is if he plays.

3 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Who could have imagined, months ago, that this holdout might have stemmed from unprecedented irrationality by the player rather than tough negotiations by a shrewd agent exercising real leverage?

Who would have imagined a whole week ago that this was just the guy’s decision and not a tortious breach of fiduciary duty by his representation.

30 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

So because Rodgers was injured and missed a year the deal sucks? 
Seriously you’re just whining for the sake of whining. 

No the deal sucked because Rodgers was washed and Green Bay wanted to dump him and had no way to get compensated for dumping him without Woody caving.  

I used to think it was earlier. He needs to show up in time to be active for 6 games (or a combination of active-playing, active-injured, or IR’d for 6 games).

Where are you getting this from? That was my understanding as well, but this explanation from Jets X-Factor suggests otherwise.

https://jetsxfactor.com/2024/09/25/ny-jets-rules-haason-reddick-holdout/

Normally, players need to be on the team for at least 6 games in a season for that year to count towards their contract.

Reddick’s holdout falls under a different set of rules in the NFL’s CBA. When a player is holding out, the situation is governed by the contract tolling provision in Appendix A, Section 16 of the CBA. In this case, the player needs to be rostered for at least 50% of the season (which is 9 games or weeks) for that year to count, or the contract will “toll” into the next season.

If he doesn’t report by Week 10, his contract won’t expire after this season, and he’ll be stuck under contract with the Jets for another year.

So, to become a free agent in 2025, Reddick needs to be back by Week 10.

That’s my understanding anyway, and it was confirmed via an email I sent to the author of the article.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

11 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

The Jets will either trade or release him before next season if he doesn’t report no matter how many fans on a message board say “let him rot.”

Jets will either trade him or let him rot, at least that will be what happens if the GM who put together the most talented roster the owner has ever had is still in charge. Joe Douglas will not simply release him. Either Reddick will play for the Jets, or they’ll get something back for him. Or he’ll rot. 

🤷‍♂️

Lee O. Valentin @leeovalentin

Management fees adding up and he prolly hasn’t paid

CAA is huge so they don’t want this to reflect poorly on them and deter future clients. It’s foul they hanging him out to dry like this but it’s a cold bidness

4 minutes ago, slats said:

Jets will either trade him or let him rot, at least that will be what happens if the GM who put together the most talented roster the owner has ever had is still in charge. Joe Douglas will not simply release him. Either Reddick will play for the Jets, or they’ll get something back for him. Or he’ll rot. 

Trading him was (and still is) the most sensible option.

As of today, I’d say it’s a tossup as to whether JD will be around next year to make that decision, however.