They took a shot

And missed.

Rodgers was a gamble.  We all understood it and most of us embraced it.  It didn't work.  First with the achilles injury, and now the obvious decline, whether nagging injuries or just age related drop off.  Throw in bad coaching and a broken team culture, and we're witnessing with a mess.  It hurts more because the franchise has been bad for more than a decade now, and it's hard to accept that it will continue to be bad for another year or two, as they retool again.

The worst thing that could happen now is Rodgers, driven by ego and not wanting to go out a loser, somehow starts to cobble together wins.  Winning against the Texans next Thursday would be a disaster.  The season is gone.  The Jets need to embrace making the best moves possible for a partial rebuild.  I say partial rebuild because the team does have talent on the roster.  The biggest parts of the rebuild will be new GM and coaching, plus more shoring up of O-line, and a pro-bowl capable safety.

Play the young guys.  Sell vets at the trade deadline for draft capital.

Get Travis Jordan experience if at all possible.

Carefully plan to get the best available head coach with a demonstrated history of winning.  Preferably one with an offensive pedigree.  I'm okay with Joe Douglas working one more year.  He's a decent deal maker and has had some good drafts.  The problem is not talent.  The problem is how the talent is deployed.

Press the detonator switch, Woody.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

It was a desperate move and it failed unimaginably bad. Really pathetic moves by the owner. 

Joe Douglas has no intention of coming back to this train wreck next year.  Woody superceded him, handcuffed him, and disgraced him.  No decent GM prospect or HC prospect will want this job. We are the laughing stock of the NFL. 

Best we can hope for is a Woody sale or heart attack.  

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Ugh 1
  • Haha 3

Joe Douglas screwed up so badly that he had one avenue to save his job.. giving Green Bay a 2nd for the privilege of bailing them out of their own Rodgers mistake. It was always going to blow up.. but yea.. given how badly it it had gone.. all the options were bad so they may as well have taken the one that had a 1/14,000,605 chance of working.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Plen T said:

Joe Flacco is winning games with the Colts

You think Rodgers cant win elsewhere?

It's the clueless buffoons on the sidelines

Play is ALWAYS in late. a delay of game on a 2 point conversion LMAO

Not right now he can't.

Rodgers was never a pocket guy.  He always moved around even with time.  This hurt hamstring has turned him into a bum. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Plen T said:

Joe Flacco is winning games with the Colts

You think Rodgers cant win elsewhere?

It's the clueless buffoons on the sidelines

Play is ALWAYS in late. a delay of game on a 2 point conversion LMAO

Is it really the plays coming in too late or Rodgers taking too long to change the play because he is smarter than everyone on the field?

52 minutes ago, rbstern said:

And missed.

Rodgers was a gamble.  We all understood it and most of us embraced it.  It didn't work.  First with the achilles injury, and now the obvious decline, whether nagging injuries or just age related drop off.  Throw in bad coaching and a broken team culture, and we're witnessing with a mess.  It hurts more because the franchise has been bad for more than a decade now, and it's hard to accept that it will continue to be bad for another year or two, as they retool again.

The worst thing that could happen now is Rodgers, driven by ego and not wanting to go out a loser, somehow starts to cobble together wins.  Winning against the Texans next Thursday would be a disaster.  The season is gone.  The Jets need to embrace making the best moves possible for a partial rebuild.  I say partial rebuild because the team does have talent on the roster.  The biggest parts of the rebuild will be new GM and coaching, plus more shoring up of O-line, and a pro-bowl capable safety.

Carefully plan to get the best available head coach with a demonstrated history of winning.  Preferably one with an offensive pedigree.  I'm okay with Joe Douglas working one more year.  He's a decent deal maker and has had some good drafts.  The problem is not talent.  The problem is how the talent is deployed.

I think the season mighy play out like his last season with the packers. Start out slow. Everybody asks if he's done.

They string a few wins together, Rodgers acts smug, then they fail again at the end.

• Sympathy 1

55 minutes ago, rbstern said:

And missed.

I completely embraced it.  I wanted the team to take a shot.  It went down in flames.  C'est la vie.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

57 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

Joe Douglas screwed up so badly that he had one avenue to save his job.. giving Green Bay a 2nd for the privilege of bailing them out of their own Rodgers mistake. It was always going to blow up.. but yea.. given how badly it it had gone.. all the options were bad so they may as well have taken the one that had a 1/14,000,605 chance of working.

I wonder if it would've been possible to trade for Jordan Love at that time.  He was still unproven back then.

4 minutes ago, bitonti said:

I have one simple question why did it take 6 years to take their shot? 

Teams rebuild quickly. Rn I'm watching a commanders team that is about to go 6-2

The long rebuild was a con and the Rodgers trade was desperate 

Cause Dan Snyder sold the team ?

1 minute ago, Untouchable said:

We’ve been “rebuilding” for the last 15 years and for most of my 50 as a fan.

I just don’t care anymore

I might have one more rebuild in me if they proactively start selling people off.  I'm 80% gone though. 

• Haha 1

Just now, Green Truth said:

It’s done, Woody needs to sell the team. No one will be going to anymore games this year. Place will be empty on Thursday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And those that do go are going to be angry. (Or should be)

If you put Breece Hall on the Chiefs he’d be rushing for 150 and 2 TD every game

If you put Zuerlein on the Chiefs he wouldn’t be missing 

In a way it seem like it doesn’t matter how much talent you assemble

You could put Mahomes on this team and he would look like Tim Boyle

It’s the coaching and this cursed franchise 

• Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, Green Truth said:

It’s done, Woody needs to sell the team. No one will be going to anymore games this year. Place will be empty on Thursday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Houston is going to destroy us.  I think the team is going to start to quit.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

If you put Breece Hall on the Chiefs he’d be rushing for 150 and 2 TD every game

If you put Zuerlein on the Chiefs he wouldn’t be missing 

In a way it seem like it doesn’t matter how much talent you assemble

You could put Mahomes on this team and he would look like Tim Boyle

It’s the coaching and this cursed franchise 

Agreed

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, rbstern said:

And missed.

You lost me at  Rodgers and Joe Douglas 

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

START to quit???

Lol.  There was some level of "compete" in them in recent weeks.  I can't imagine it will continue for another 11 weeks at this point.  Especially when the home fans (if we show up) mercilessly boo the team.  It's hard to imagine a more ugly scenario than we've got right now.  The raising of the ticket prices is the cherry on top.

• Upvote 2

I would honestly keep playing Rodgers, hope it gets better and bring him back next year with a REAL head coach who knows offense etc. 

He can still read a defense and make dime throws. 

And he's doing this while playing pretty banged up. 

• Ugh 1