ALL Mike Vick News (Merged 39X)

StillerPaul

Mike Vick, Bad-ass Thug or Misunderstood City Kid  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Mike Vick, Bad-ass Thug or Misunderstood City Kid

• Bad-ass thug
    • Misunderstood City kid

He suspended pacman and he hasn't been convicted of anything.

Pacman - he maimed a humen being, correct?

Vick - for so long ESPN, the NFL, etc., have marketed and trumpeted Vick at nauseum. They all have mud on their face. It's not like the accusations don't have any validity - he has been indicted, afterall. And, there are multiple witnesses....yet, Vick goes unscathed - NFL punishment-wise. His reputation is crap, he can kiss his corp deals good-bye and I suspect the Falcons are being pressured into internal diciplinary action. Would it shock anyone if Vick were suspended by the Falcons for actions detrimental to the team - or purely because of the DISTRACTION the media circus will generate in camp?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Vick - for so long ESPN, the NFL, etc., have marketed and trumpeted Vick at nauseum. They all have mud on their face. It's not like the accusations don't have any validity - he has been indicted, afterall. And, there are multiple witnesses....yet, Vick goes unscathed - NFL punishment-wise. His reputation is crap, he can kiss his corp deals good-bye and I suspect the Falcons are being pressured into internal diciplinary action. Would it shock anyone if Vick were suspended by the Falcons for actions detrimental to the team - or purely because of the DISTRACTION the media circus will generate in camp?

Don't worry Garb, if the new Comish- is worth his salt, Vick won't take a snap in the NFL again. The NFL policy has nothing to do with the out-come of the charges against him, the fact that he has been charged is enough to suspend him as it is. There is no way the NFL lets Vick step on field with these Federal charges hanging over his head. Mark my words, Vick wont see the field in 07, and maybe never again. ;)

He has been arrested like 11 times.

As much as I think it is horrible, Vick shouldn't be suspended until he is found guilty.

If I were the Falcons though I would already be thinking of what I could do for a QB at the end of this year and if they are out of the playoffs I would take out Vick and get some people ready.

Also, when the Falcons are on the road, do you think they will play "Who lets the Dogs out?!!" :)

200px-Wholetthedogsout.jpg

BZ

The thing is, you do not have to be found guilty to be in violation of the NFL code of conduct. The NFL is a brand, and these players are all part of it. If a player on one team tarnishes that brand, the entire nfl feels it through the revenue share and other things. I think by associating with these people, and the gambling, he has pretty much violated the conduct code and I think the commish is within his right to suspend him. I think he might not be able to suspend him an entire year at this point, but maybe 4-6 weeks with an option for more as things play out in court.

Pacman didn't do it, it was one of his bodyguards.

Alas...how unfortunate for the lad. Hopefully when he's in the sh!tcan he will run into a bunch of fellows that are missing their bowser dogs back home. I'm sure they can find materials to construct their own rape stand so Ookie can take it in the dookie.

Looks like Vick will be getting it "doggie style" in the big house.

Right and you don't suspend players for NOT being arrested. It doesn't make sense.

Those Duke Lacrosse players were also indicted and also arrested and how did that turn out?

BZ

That is the new gold standard for innocent until proved guilty.

Of course, private organizations don't have to follow the "beyond a reasonable doubt" burden of proof as far as I know.

Pacman didn't do it, it was one of his bodyguards.

Didn't Pacman instruct them to shoot - allegedly? ;) Kind of like Rae Carruth had some thugs shoot and kill his pregnant girlfriend....basically killing two people, one of which was his unborn child.

Some people just sicken me.

If the NFL doesn't suspend him, the best thing Atlanta could do right now is suspend him with pay.

1) It would erase a HUGE a distraction.

2) Suspending him with pay will also keep the players union off their backs as opposed to suspending him without pay.

The Falcons are in a tough spot. Vick is going to be a target wherever they go this year and having him there is just going to cause more problems then they need.

If the NFL doesn't suspend him, the best thing Atlanta could do right now is suspend him with pay.

1) It would erase a HUGE a distraction.

2) Suspending him with pay will also keep the players union off their backs as opposed to suspending him without pay.

The Falcons are in a tough spot. Vick is going to be a target wherever they go this year and having him there is just going to cause more problems then they need.

yeah the birds are in a tough spot alright.

chances are this case won't see a courtroom this season.

goodell seems to indicate a wait & see approach which means no suspension this season.

falcons have a tough choice of tryin to win games with vick while picketer's follow them everywhere this season.

I gotta think vicks playin days are over after this season since a conviction looks favorable right now.

glad it's not my decision to make. isn't blank a big on image sort a guy?

From what I have been hearing on the radio, federal indictment cases usually start about 2 months after the person is officially indicted. Which if that is the case would take you to around the end of September early October.

Also nice little nugget. Since 2005 there have been 99% conviction on all fedreal indictments.

the Feds do not fool around. They have a ton of stuff against Vick and are probably going to get more.

Vick could be looking at some serious jail time.

RICHMOND, Va. (July 18, 2007) -- This much we know: Michael Vick won't be on the field when the Atlanta Falcons open training camp next Thursday. He'll be in a federal courtroom.

What happens after that was anyone's guess Wednesday, and there was no shortage of opinions.

Suspend him. Cut him. Let him play until he's proven guilty of felony charges that he sponsored a gruesome dogfighting operation.

For the time being, that's what the NFL intends to do with the star quarterback -- let him play.

After consulting with the Falcons, commissioner Roger Goodell and top league officials agreed to let the legal process determine the facts.

A person with knowledge of the meeting, who requested anonymity so the case would not be influenced, said the NFL would stick to that position for the foreseeable future, despite its new personal conduct policy.

In April, Goodell suspended Tennessee's Adam "Pacman" Jones for the 2007 season even though Jones had not been convicted of a crime. He did, however, have 10 encounters with police and five arrests since he was drafted in 2005.

The NFL players' union took the same stance as the league.

"It's unfortunate that Michael Vick is in this position, as these allegations are extremely disturbing and offensive," the union said in a statement. "This case is now in the hands of the judicial system, and we have to allow the legal process to run its course. However, we recognize Michael still has the right to prove his innocence. Hopefully, these allegations are untrue and Michael will be able to continue his NFL career."

Vick and three associates must appear in Richmond next week for bond hearings and arraignments on charges contained in a detailed, 18-page indictment handed up Tuesday.

The four are accused of competitive dogfighting, procuring and training pit bulls for fighting, and conducting the enterprise across state lines.

The operation was named "Bad Newz Kennels," according to the indictment, and the dogs were housed, trained and fought at a property owned by Vick in Surry County, Va.

Conviction carries up to six years in prison, fines of $350,000 and restitution.

Among the grisly findings: Losing dogs either died in the pit or were electrocuted, drowned, hanged or shot. The indictment said purses climbed as high as $20,000 for fights.

Those and other allegations of animal abuse have already put Vick squarely in the center of strong and divided reaction.

In Atlanta, where Vick's name dwarfs all others in pro sports, about 46 percent of respondents in an overnight telephone poll conducted by Atlanta-based InsiderAdvantage think the Falcons should release Vick. About the same percentage said the team should keep him until a verdict is returned. About 8 percent of the 859 people polled had no opinion. The poll had a margin of error of plus- or minus-3 percentage points.

Nike, one of Vick's sponsors, said it was reviewing the indictment and would have no other comment.

In a letter to Goodell, Falcons owner Arthur Blank and Vick's corporate sponsors, hip-hop mogul Russell Simmons and the Rev. Al Sharpton joined with People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals and the Humane Society of the United States in calling for strong stands against animal cruelty.

"Today, we sound a clarion call to all people: Stand up for what is right, and speak out against what is wrong. Dogfighting is unacceptable. Hurting animals for human pleasure or gain is despicable. Cruelty is just plain wrong," the letter said.

Goodell and Blank met individually with Vick in May after the investigation started, telling him to straighten up or risk discipline.

Blank said he "could not have been more stern" in telling Vick that he represents himself, the franchise and the league and needs to do it right.

"They both challenged me to be more accountable in all areas of my life. I know I need to make some changes around me to make sure that the people in my life have my best interest at heart," Vick said at the time. "My goal is to not let my fans, my teammates or my coaches down."

The Falcons signed Vick to a 10-year, $130 million contract in December 2004. He has been paid about $44 million, including $37 million in guaranteed bonuses, and is due to earn a base salary of $6 million this season.

Teams can amortize the salary cap implications of signing bonuses, but if a player is cut, all bonuses paid but not yet factored into the salary cap must be accounted for within two years.

The Falcons face an estimated salary cap hit of about $6 million this year and $15 million in 2008 if they release Vick -- devastating hits to any team's budget.

http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/ATL/10261168

that's what I heard, too. they're talking about it now on espn, and nike said they have not terminated their relationship with vickdog at this time.

PETA will be demonstrating outside the NYC NFL office tmw.

Yesterday I mentioned the possibility of demonstrations at GS.

The activity tomorrow by PETA is just the start of it. As mentioned also on nfl live

PETA is a very formidable organization when it comes to demonstrating. It just

might have an effect on the NFL thinking.

As what I know from people who are deeply involved in PETA, they are like sharks

when they come after you. They won't let up on him.

that's what I heard, too. they're talking about it now on espn, and nike said they have not terminated their relationship with vickdog at this time.

PETA will be demonstrating outside the NYC NFL office tmw.

I'm sure vick will be cut loose from all endorsements very soon. what he's indicted for is just too unpopular.

goodell has a tough decision on his plate right now. arthur blanc has it tough too.

isn't the latest that goodell is waiting for a guilty verdict at this point?

Sharpton against Vick?! Wow. That shocked me so much my dentures popped out. I can't say I'm surprised by this hypocritical stance by Goodell when Vick blatantly lied to everyone within hearing distance. The NFL will 'allow him to play', but the Falcons don't have to let him. Let's see what they do.

Again, I feel compelled to repeat myself ad nauseum in order to pre-empt the broad notion I've seen quite a few times, that being...Most rational people do NOT actually equate the lives of dogs with those of human beings. However, humanity is supposed to be above such things, and it doesn't make it any less depraved. Wait until it turns into some 'cultural' debate (i.e. bull-fighting, c*ck-fighting...). All I know is that I live in America, and I'm thinking RATIONAL Americans find it deplorable.

All that being said, animal cruelty points to a deeper sickness in the soul. Kids idolize Vick, and if you can't be decent to a dog, I shudder to think how children are regarded. Or should I say not regarded at all...?

I'm sure vick will be cut loose from all endorsements very soon. what he's indicted for is just too unpopular.

goodell has a tough decision on his plate right now. arthur blanc has it tough too.

Yep, people have varying levels of tolerance for different transgressions.

"Victimless crimes" like paying a hooker or smoking pot do not rise to the level of things like child abuse or inhumane treatment of animals. Cruel treatment of living things is extremely unpopular, and will raise the ire of most right-thinking folks.

Should he be convicted though, he will face the longest suspension in NFL history.Hornung and Karas got 1 year for gambling. There are gambling implications here as well, plus he almost certainly lied to Goodell. When and if he's convicted, they will come down on him like a tons of bricks.

And truth be told, when the animal rights folks start showing up for Falcons games, he might wish he had been suspended.

Should he be convicted though, he will face the longest suspension in NFL history.Hornung and Karas got 1 year for gambling. There are gambling implications here as well, plus he almost certainly lied to Goodell. When and if he's convicted, they will come down on him like a tons of bricks.

And truth be told, when the animal rights folks start showing up for Falcons games, he might wish he had been suspended.

Good point. I bet they will be all over that place. I'd say it could affect his play, but when you have a chitty QB already, he can't get too much worse.

isn't the latest that goodell is waiting for a guilty verdict at this point?

Anyone else not surprised by the hypocrisy? I don't espouse PETA because that means I also buy into their often radical means (which I at times have objected to). Still, I can't say I'll have a problem with them working to eradicate a hideous practice such as this. They'll badger the NFL until Goodell pitches himself headfirst out a window in order to get some peace. They'll never settle down over this one. I can promise you that.

This is a huge opportunity for them to be out front and visible for their cause.

They are going to go after this like a dog gnawing on a bone. Hee.

This is a huge opportunity for them to be out front and visible for their cause.

They are going to go after this like a dog gnawing on a bone. Hee.

bingo (no not my dogs name) there jetcane. peta will follow the birds from stadium to stadium. Vick has given them quite a platform. this is why blanc might suspend him

I do wanna hear why goodell lets vick get a fair trial but not pacman

Anyone else not surprised by the hypocrisy? I don't espouse PETA because that means I also buy into their often radical means (which I at times have objected to). Still, I can't say I'll have a problem with them working to eradicate a hideous practice such as this. They'll badger the NFL until Goodell pitches himself headfirst out a window in order to get some peace. They'll never settle down over this one. I can promise you that.

perhaps blanc will suspend him & make goodells life a little easier

interesting. how can you suspend pacman & not vick?

I think it is different, Pacman was arrested at least 5 times. He also was out late at nite at strip joints where altercations occurred and people were shot, and that isn't in dispute. He certainly violated the personal conduct policy Goodell has put out. If Vick isn't proved guilty, and we have to wait and see about that, then he really hasn't violated any policy.

Archived