Mike Vick, Bad-ass Thug or Misunderstood City Kid  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Mike Vick, Bad-ass Thug or Misunderstood City Kid

• Bad-ass thug
    • Misunderstood City kid

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

how is this Nike's problem? If you want them to only represent chior boys they will be missing out on the 'thug-turd' market that buys the vick, carmello, sosa crap. Those thugs aren't going to spend money on Don Mattingly, Leon Washington, or john stockton jersey's, they don't have the image for the thugs to appreciate.

i think they are doing what they need to, to make money.

how is this Nike's problem? If you want them to only represent chior boys they will be missing out on the 'thug-turd' market that buys the vick, carmello, sosa crap. Those thugs aren't going to spend money on Don Mattingly, Leon Washington, or john stockton jersey's, they don't have the image for the thugs to appreciate.

i think they are doing what they need to, to make money.

I once saw a guy wearing a Chrebet jersey in a hardcore rap video.

I once saw a guy wearing a Chrebet jersey in a hardcore rap video.

that's news to me. i guess if i were in marketing, i would think the thugs would buy the thug stuff...It's always a generalization, its just how it goes i guess.

Sweat shops? are you serious? You make it seem like Nike came up with the idea of paying people 10 cents and hour, 14 hour days, and no bathroom breaks. Its not just them pal. We live in a capitalist state, anything you can do to lessin your expenses, you do it. If that means you use some indian kids, you use the indian kids.

I bet you'd hear more of an outcry if they sold their average shoes for 150 bucks because of unionized workers that can't do much more than tie a pair of shoes (this is not a shot at unionized workers that have actual skills, electricions, plumbers, mechanics...).

It's easy to place blame on Nike, but they didn't start it, they are doing what it takes to make money. If i, or anyone on this board owned Nike you'd do the same damn thing, it's all about bottom line, that's the USA.

Because they didn't start it makes it moral? You think I'm not aware of these things? My point is that Nike or any of these other big corporations that exploit workers hold no water when they place themselves above "unacceptable behavior" by their "spokespeople." I don't think I need to get into a diatribe about the evils of capitalism. My point was just that it makes me laugh when a company like Nike takes a "moral stance" - they may as well have Pacman do their commercials as he is not half the criminal that the CEO's of these company's are.

Because they didn't start it makes it moral? You think I'm not aware of these things? My point is that Nike or any of these other big corporations that exploit workers hold no water when they place themselves above "unacceptable behavior" by their "spokespeople." I don't think I need to get into a diatribe about the evils of capitalism. My point was just that it makes me laugh when a company like Nike takes a "moral stance" - they may as well have Pacman do their commercials as he is not half the criminal that the CEO's of these company's are.

i think CEO's are overpaid as much as the next guy, but i don't faul them for finding the cheapest labor available. The people in those shops do get paid, they do need the money, i'm not ready to call it slavery is all.

• 4 weeks later...

Vick indicted in dogfight investigation 13 minutes ago

RICHMOND, Va. - Atlanta Falcons quarterback Michael Vick was indicted Tuesday by a federal grand jury on charges related to illegal dogfighting. Vick and three others were charged with violating federal laws against competitive dogfighting, procuring and training pit bulls for fighting and conducting the enterprise across state lines.

The indictment alleges that Vick and his co-defendants began sponsoring dogfighting in early 2001, the former Virginia Tech star's rookie year with the Falcons.

It accuses Vick, Purnell A. Peace, Quanis L. Phillips and Tony Taylor of "knowingly sponsoring and exhibiting an animal fighting venture," of conducting a business enterprise involving gambling, as well as buying, transporting and receiving dogs for the purposes of an animal fighting venture.

Telephone messages left at the offices and home of Vick's attorney, Larry Woodward, were not immediately returned.

A woman who answered the phone at the home of Vick's mother said the family knew nothing about the charges.

Vick indicted in dogfight investigation 13 minutes ago

RICHMOND, Va. - Atlanta Falcons quarterback Michael Vick was indicted Tuesday by a federal grand jury on charges related to illegal dogfighting. Vick and three others were charged with violating federal laws against competitive dogfighting, procuring and training pit bulls for fighting and conducting the enterprise across state lines.

The indictment alleges that Vick and his co-defendants began sponsoring dogfighting in early 2001, the former Virginia Tech star's rookie year with the Falcons.

It accuses Vick, Purnell A. Peace, Quanis L. Phillips and Tony Taylor of "knowingly sponsoring and exhibiting an animal fighting venture," of conducting a business enterprise involving gambling, as well as buying, transporting and receiving dogs for the purposes of an animal fighting venture.

Telephone messages left at the offices and home of Vick's attorney, Larry Woodward, were not immediately returned.

A woman who answered the phone at the home of Vick's mother said the family knew nothing about the charges.

Those are serious charges.

IMO: Even if Vick wasn't actively involved he certainly knew what was going on in a house he owned.

What is Mr. Discipline, Goodell, going to do about this? It's going to be interesting to see how this plays out in the Courts.

I heard this on the news roughly an hour ago. Did a fist pump. Class A Sc*mbag. These are federal charges, and he is in very hot water (max. 6 yrs). He'll get the best attys money can buy, and I'm too jaded to think he won't walk - or at very least get a slap on the wrist. However, make an example out of him and throw his azz out of FB for life whether he is acquitted or not. Also too jaded to think that would ever happen as to how much money is tied up in him in terms of revenue for the league, so let's see what type of hypocrite Goodell turns out to be. Maybe he'll surprise all of us.

What a d***. Now what's Goodell going to do, hopefully he makes an example out of this. This is real bad for Vick.

It's a tough situation for Goodell right now. Who knows when a trial, if it gets to that point, will occur?

Pacman had 8 or so arrests. That was a no brainer for Goodell.

The other guys who have been suspended for the upcoming season have been through the court system and convicted or have been convicted in the past and arrested this year on other charges.

It's a tough situation for Goodell right now. Who knows when a trial, if it gets to that point, will occur?

Pacman had 8 or so arrests. That was a no brainer for Goodell.

The other guys who have been suspended for the upcoming season have been through the court system and convicted or have been convicted in the past and arrested this year on other charges.

He's going to have so much pressure to suspend him before a trial happens, I don't see how he wouldn't do it. What I can see happening is he's suspended indefinitely and then try and have them rush up the legal process, which won't work well. Ah well, the worse punishment the better. :)

I don't think Goodell can do anything right now.

If he suspends Vick before the out come is known, any defense attorney worth his salt will start screaming that the case was severely prejudiced by the commissioners actions. He would probably be right.

It's going to be interesting to see what kind of evidence the Feds have. Unless they have credible eyewitness (credible witness at a dog fight?) that saw him at the fights it is going to be hard to hang anything serious on him.

I don't think Goodell can do anything right now.

If he suspends Vick before the out come is known, any defense attorney worth his salt will start screaming that the case was severely prejudiced by the commissioners actions. He would probably be right.

It's going to be interesting to see what kind of evidence the Feds have. Unless they have credible eyewitness (credible witness at a dog fight?) that saw him at the fights it is going to be hard to hang anything serious on him.

Again, employers can fire people. Because they can. And the NFL should without even waiting for a juridical outcome. Why is it constantly getting mixed in with his rights to a free trial under the law? His rights as an American are not in any way compromised. Kick. Him. In. His. Azz.

I'm shocked.

In fairness, it remains a circumstantial case. With the right attorney and the right jury-one ethnically sympathetic to him-he can still be found not guilty(which is not the same as innocent). The statements of the state investigators made to SI-"We got Michael Vick!"-will help him.

His endorsement deals, even NIke,are going to dry up in a heartbeat.No one is going to buck PEta and the animal right crowd.

And then the ball is in Goodell's court. While there's been no finding of legal guilt, the standard NFL contract doesn't require that for discipline. But Goodell, in case Vick were acquitted, night not want to act until the criminal case is resolved.

Gonna get interesting.

I'm shocked.

In fairness, it remains a circumstantial case. With the right attorney and the right jury-one ethnically sympathetic to him-he can still be found not guilty(which is not the same as innocent). The statements of the state investigators made to SI-"We got Michael Vick!"-will help him.

His endorsement deals, even NIke,are going to dry up in a heartbeat.No one is going to buck PEta and the animal right crowd.

And then the ball is in Goodell's court. While there's been no finding of legal guilt, the standard NFL contract doesn't require that for discipline. But Goodell, in case Vick were acquitted, night not want to act until the criminal case is resolved.

Gonna get interesting.

I agree

Couple with that the fact that the NFL is in the unique position of being a recognized monopoly.

If he were suspended, and then found not guilty, the NFL could easily find itself in an anti trust suit, and a right to work suite, in that they are the only game in town.

This could turn into a circus very quickly. I don't think the NFL wants to be in center ring.

The league should let him play if he's aquitted. It will be a living hell for him trying to avoid 11 guys every week - most of whom own and love their dogs - from breaking bones of his on every hit.

The league should let him play if he's aquitted. It will be a living hell for him trying to avoid 11 guys every week - most of whom own and love their dogs - from breaking bones of his on every hit.

That may be true. But bigger consideration before it ever gets to trial for the NFL-having PETA haranguing their advertisers if Vick is allowed to play pedning the outcome.

Shouldn't they wave the whole "only repeat offenders are suspended without a conviction" thing for felonies?

Yes one would think so. His "I didn't know nothing bout no dog fights, it was my relatives" defense is quite transparent now.

Archived