TJ for Braylon very possible

leonwash29

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply
....add a 1st round pick and they might actually pick up the phone when you call.

Sure, lets trade them a 31 year old Runningback and Brad Smith for Braylon Edwards! If only the Jets thought of this!

It sure seems too good to be true. I thought Danny Woodhead might have started the rumor ... or at least this thread.

If Jones holds any trade value of substance, ship him out right away. I still can't believe anyone would give much for a 31 year old RB who wants a redone contract.

Here's the funny part about a scenario similar to what someone proposed (Jones + B.Smith + 2nd). If that's a conditional pick, where it is a mid-round pick but upgrades to a 2nd if we sign him long-term, then we effectively get him for a 2010 mid-round pick for this year & nothing else. Jones is getting cut after this season and B.Smith is a FA as well. So Edwards also being a FA next year is kind of a wash. Basically we would get Edwards for a mid-round pick in a way.

Of course that is IF Cleveland is so desperate to part with him they agree to a deal like that, guessing that we probably will lock him up.

Chris Johnson is far from a perfect comparison - he's 195 lbs. and had 236 carries as a senior. Greene is 235 lbs. and had over 300 carries last year.

I didn't realize there was a direct correlation between draft position and ability to carry a heavy workload as a rookie.

I cited Bettis and George, because they are both big, 230+ lb. running backs, just like Greene, who saw a large number of carries as rookies without incident.

Edgerrin James was mentioned because he started the entire season, led the league in carries, and then ran the ball another 20 times in a playoff game - something you claimed was not possible.

Curtis Martin was a 3rd Round pick (just like Greene) and as far as him being a future HOFer, I don't think they started working on his bust in Canton the moment he was drafted.

There is no "direct correlation", but you can't pick 4 of the best RBs in the last 20 years as a comparison. It's like when people were using HOF coaches with losing records to start their careers as a reason why Mangini shouldn't get fired.

There is no "direct correlation", but you can't pick 4 of the best RBs in the last 20 years as a comparison. It's like when people were using HOF coaches with losing records to start their careers as a reason why Mangini shouldn't get fired.

You made a blanket statement that a rookie RB cannot carry the ball ~20 times per game and hold up for a full season under that workload.

Career performance notwithstanding, I provided you a list of two of the larger starting RB's of the last 20 years, a guy who started 17 games and lead the league in carries, and a 3rd Rd pick who piled up 300+ carries - none of whom had any problem handling that volume of touches as rookies.

Injuries and performance aside, there is no reason that Greene couldn't carry the ball 280-300 times this season (T. Jones had 290 carries in '08). That was my only point.

Matt Forte was a 2nd round pick and had a great year. 316 carries, 1238 yrds, 8 TD's.

Steve Slaton was a 3 round pick and had a great year. 268 carries, 1282 yrds, 9 TD's.

Kevin Smith was a 3 round pick (actually the first pick in the 3rd round). 238 carries, 976 yrds, 8 TD's.

That was just last year. And we have a better oline than all those team and a better counterpart in the backfield.

You made a blanket statement that a rookie RB cannot carry the ball ~20 times per game and hold up for a full season under that workload.

Career performance notwithstanding, I provided you a list of two of the larger starting RB's of the last 20 years, a guy who started 17 games and lead the league in carries, and a 3rd Rd pick who piled up 300+ carries - none of whom had any problem handling that volume of touches as rookies.

Injuries and performance aside, there is no reason that Greene couldn't carry the ball 280-300 times this season (T. Jones had 290 carries in '08). That was my only point.

Uhm, 300 carries a season is less than 20+ carries a game. ;)

I put the number at 15 carries a game while 300 max is 18 carries a game. That's where I'm at.

My blanket statement is the rule, while you pointed out the exception. It's not the otherway around. Regardless, I'd make the proposed trade.

EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!

That was my only point. The Jets need a 3rd RB and let the bulk of the carries split between Greene and Leon.

Yeah, I highly doubt the Jets leave two backs and that's it. In fact, an ideal third back (or fourth RB including Tony Richardson) could be UDFA Brannan Southerland. He isn't a bad runner and can handle 5 carries a game as a big back in a LeRon McClain role. The guy can also catch the ball and block some. There's your third back, he can do a lot of things and some that Greene struggles with, and he's your FB of the future when Tony Richardson leaves. That may be the best scenario actually if this does happen.

Matt Forte was a 2nd round pick and had a great year. 316 carries, 1238 yrds, 8 TD's.

Steve Slaton was a 3 round pick and had a great year. 268 carries, 1282 yrds, 9 TD's.

Kevin Smith was a 3 round pick (actually the first pick in the 3rd round). 238 carries, 976 yrds, 8 TD's.

That was just last year. And we have a better oline than all those team and a better counterpart in the backfield.

Uhm, Slaton averaged 16 carries a game and Smith averaged 14. Forte came close to averaging 20.

Where is this rush of rookie RBs who carry the ball 20+ times a game?

Uhm, Slaton averaged 16 carries a game and Smith averaged 14. Forte came close to averaging 20.

Where is this rush of rookie RBs who carry the ball 20+ times a game?

I didnt know that was the arguement, my bad. I thought you were saying that Rookie running backs die toward the end of the year when asked to carry the load.

Whateever, either way, he wouldnt be asked to carry the ball 20 times with Leon on the team.

I didnt know that was the arguement, my bad. I thought you were saying that Rookie running backs die toward the end of the year when asked to carry the load.

Whateever, either way, he wouldnt be asked to carry the ball 20 times with Leon on the team.

Johnny Hector went all U.S. District Attorney on me after I wrote that Greene was not a 20 carry RB his rookie season. That was the debate.

I followed up that if Greene got 20+ carries without the benefit of an NFL caliber offseason strength and conditioning program he'd wear down toward the end of the season.

Thus, I proposed 12-15 carry a game average (with 3 RBs). That would keep Greene fresh throughout the season. Thomas Jones averaged 18 carries this year. Greene could get close to that and be fine.

Yeah, I highly doubt the Jets leave two backs and that's it. In fact, an ideal third back (or fourth RB including Tony Richardson) could be UDFA Brannan Southerland. He isn't a bad runner and can handle 5 carries a game as a big back in a LeRon McClain role. The guy can also catch the ball and block some. There's your third back, he can do a lot of things and some that Greene struggles with, and he's your FB of the future when Tony Richardson leaves. That may be the best scenario actually if this does happen.

Why do you highly doubt they'd stick with only two backs? They've done it the past two seasons. I'd prefer a third, but I'm not so sure they would.

I also don't think Southerland is such a hot candidate for RB. Especially with TRich on the team. I've haven't seen too much of him, but he's supposed to be a banger. Southerland had a nice sophmore season, but since then he averaged less than 2 ypc his junior year, broke the same foot bone twice and had almost no carries as a senior. Caulcrick and Woodhead probably are as likely choices if you're strictly looking for somebody to run the ball.

BRAYLON STILL POSSIBLY GOING TO THE BIG APPLE?

Posted by Mike Florio on May 4, 2009, 1:02 p.m. EDT

In the days and weeks preceding the 2009 draft, there were many rumors and reports linking Browns receiver Braylon Edwards to the New York Giants.

In the end, the Giants opted to address the void created by the release of receiver Plaxico Burress by drafting wideout Hakeem Nicks.

But Edwards still might end up in New York. Tony Grossi of the Cleveland Plain Dealer recently floated the possibility of the Browns sending Braylon to the Jets in a trade that would reunite running back Thomas Joneswith Browns coach Eric Mangini.

The disclosure came in response to a reader question regarding the possibility of the Jets cutting Jones, who is skipping offseason workouts apparently due to displeasure with his contract.

This is all speculation. TJ isnt going anywhere unless he forces a trade. We already know that this is going to be a "run first" type football team and we'll need ATLEAST 3 runningbacks. We have the "everydown" back in TJ, we have the "change of pace/mismatch" back in Leon and now we got our "bruiser" in Green for those important 1st and goal that we couldnt seem to score on last year and especially the year before. Thats exactly how the Ravens were designed and I think that's where Rex is going with it. He's not going to send off his Everydown back for a #1 when this is a run first team. I dont think that at this moment that Shonn Green can be an everydown back, especially since he doesnt have great hands coming out the backfield and we're not sure how his blocking is at this point. That trade sounds great on the surface, but I'd rather reach out to Plaxico and hope he doesnt go to jail.

This is all speculation. TJ isnt going anywhere unless he forces a trade. We already know that this is going to be a "run first" type football team and we'll need ATLEAST 3 runningbacks. We have the "everydown" back in TJ, we have the "change of pace/mismatch" back in Leon and now we got our "bruiser" in Green for those important 1st and goal that we couldnt seem to score on last year and especially the year before. Thats exactly how the Ravens were designed and I think that's where Rex is going with it. He's not going to send off his Everydown back for a #1 when this is a run first team. I dont think that at this moment that Shonn Green can be an everydown back, especially since he doesnt have great hands coming out the backfield and we're not sure how his blocking is at this point. That trade sounds great on the surface, but I'd rather reach out to Plaxico and hope he doesnt go to jail.

I don't really like the idea of Plax at all, and I think this wouldn't be a terrible idea but I actually agree with Villain here totally. Green has Le'Ron McClain written all over him IMO, and if he gets THAT much production that McClain had last season, well we're gonna be happy fans this year. I think the Jets are better off standing put on the trade and keeping TJ, unhappy or not so we have a three-headed running attack for 2010. We have an absolutely run-first offense but behind the o-line that we have, we'll be able to effectively run and have fresh legs coming in. I see Ryan trying to emulate the Baltimore offense to every extent:

TJ > McGahee (Willis overrated) As the every down back

Green < McClain

Washington >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Ray Rice

Especially if the Jets are planning on starting Sanchez from Week 1, I have a feeling they'd stay put on establishing a ball-controlled offense and all else fails goes after Burress rather than trade away their top back from the past two seasons.

Well, if its 3 backs then the average may not be in regards to carries. It may be in regards to field position, which is not stupid but very smart...on Rex part if thats what he's aiming for.

Bingo, again..exactly how the Giants operated last season with Jacobs, Ward and Bradshaw

A move like this would make the trade up for Greene worth it in my eyes. The Jets throw in a conditional pick based on both Edwards' and Jones' performances.

+1.

The only problem is that it makes Shonn Greene the single most important player on the team and if he's not the goods then it creates a domino effect that could hurt Mark Sanchez now and, potentially, forever. If they're going to start Sanchez at some point, and the Jets' running game (minus T. Jones) sucks, then you're asking Sanchez to carry the whole squad as a rookie. He could end up like David Carr in that scenario.

Johnny Hector went all U.S. District Attorney on me after I wrote that Greene was not a 20 carry RB his rookie season. That was the debate.

I followed up that if Greene got 20+ carries without the benefit of an NFL caliber offseason strength and conditioning program he'd wear down toward the end of the season.

Thus, I proposed 12-15 carry a game average (with 3 RBs). That would keep Greene fresh throughout the season. Thomas Jones averaged 18 carries this year. Greene could get close to that and be fine.

Your original statement was that he "wasn't a 20 carry back". Is that view specific to Greene, or any rookie RB?

BTW - I never said that it would be best practice to have him carry the ball 300+ times in a year, but it is certainly possible, as I cited.

Well, if its 3 backs then the average may not be in regards to carries. It may be in regards to field position, which is not stupid but very smart...on Rex part if thats what he's aiming for.

a "run first", smashmouth, defensiveminded football team that gave away the whole draft for a QB!! LOL I love it!

Dammm, Clemens and Ratliff must have both succkkked BIGTIME!!

This would be the biggest steal. We all know we cant do **** on offense if we dont get a number one receiver. Cotchery has proven time and time again that he cant succeed as the number one receiver while Coles was hurt. Pull the trigger NOW!

Archived