Does Sanchez Lack The Arm Strength To Play In The Meadowlands? ~ CBS Sports

http://www.cbssports.com/print/nfl/story/11789518

Mark Sanchez, quarterback, N.Y. Jets:

The Jets didn't lose the division last year because of their defense or their wide receivers or their offensive line. They lost because of their quarterback. Brett Favre not only wasn't very good down the stretch, he was dreadful. He threw for two touchdowns and nine interceptions in his last five starts, four of which the Jets lost. So they traded up in the draft for Sanchez, gambling that he will be do for them what Eli Manning did for the Giants. Maybe, maybe not. But it's an experiment worth watching. For the moment, he and Kellen Clemens battle for the starting job, but who's kidding whom: The job belongs to Sanchez. As soon as he demonstrates he has a handle on the playbook, he's in the huddle. I just don't know what to make of the guy; one GM told me he didn't think Sanchez had the arm strength to play in the Meadowlands and was more suited to an indoor team. I guess we're about to find out.

Before we even drafted the guy I didn't feel that he had the arm to make it on the East Coast in December and January, but hey, as Judge says, we're about to find out because as much as I like Clemens, this is Mark's team and I'm excited to see what he does with it.

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Let me be the first to say it.........

Mark = Chad

And you know what? I wouldn't mind having a healthy Chad Pennington. I miss those days. It kindof sucks being a Jets fan, you always wonder "what could have been".

Pennington is average now, but before all the shoulder injuries and other nonsense, he was a star on the rise.

Yeah but he all know that Brady uses teh steroids and an all american, wholesome Jets player would never do such a thing.

It was HGH, get it right. Besides, you can't even trace that stuff, so Sanchez can feel free to indulge all he likes.

Damn stupid Patsy trolls.

And you know what? I wouldn't mind having a healthy Chad Pennington. I miss those days. It kindof sucks being a Jets fan, you always wonder "what could have been".

Pennington is average now, but before all the shoulder injuries and other nonsense, he was a star on the rise.

I believe what you meant was a healthy, pre-injury Chad minus the whole fragile psyche / choke-artist routine. I wouldn't mind that either. Either way, Sanchez has a stronger arm than Chad ever did.

I believe what you meant was a healthy, pre-injury Chad minus the whole fragile psyche / choke-artist routine. I wouldn't mind that either. Either way, Sanchez has a stronger arm than Chad ever did.

Right, you got it. Sanchez is Pennington-plus. He's an accurate QB, has a better arm than Pennington did out of college, and is a winner.

If Sanchez sucks its not the end of the world. You simply draft another QB.

If you invest what the Jets are investing in Sanchez if he doesn't pan out your franchise is set back for the next 3-5 years.

If you invest what the Jets are investing in Sanchez if he doesn't pan out your franchise is set back for the next 3-5 years.

No its not. Sanchez starts from day 1. If he looks awful this season you start making decisions and keep drafting until you get it right.

What are the Jets investing? A paycheck? They didnt give up the farm ala Eli.

You pay someone else. We havent had problems paying people recently.

FYI: Sanchez will only be playing at Giants Stadium for 1 season.

The new stadium is a different configuration and orientation than Giant Stadium, so the impact of the wind will be completely different.

Yeah but he all know that Brady uses teh steroids and an all american, wholesome Jets player would never do such a thing.

Except for the players busted last year. :rl:

I would say that is a conservative estimate. If Sanchez busts, given the likely 35-40 million he will command as a signing bonus. Barring a huge escalation in the salary cap, his cap charge is cost prohibitive from signing, resigning or cutting him until about 2014. Then you have to work through his dead money.

FYI: Sanchez will only be playing at Giants Stadium for 1 season.

The new stadium is a different configuration and orientation than Giant Stadium, so the impact of the wind will be completely different.

Was going to mention that as well. Good point.

Except for the players busted last year. :rl:

I would say that is a conservative estimate. If Sanchez busts, given the likely 35-40 million he will command as a signing bonus. Barring a huge escalation in the salary cap, his cap charge is cost prohibitive from signing, resigning or cutting him until about 2014. Then you have to work through his dead money.

Seeing that as of right now, there is no cap past this year, I'd say this is currently a moot point.

:rl:

Speak for yourself sister..

Chad in Oakland 2002 was called out for being scared by Romanowski. He was talking about people calling him the new Montana and remarked at how scared Chad was. We've all seen that look in his face to know it's true..

If Sanchez is anything like Chad we are doomed. Luckily his arm and athletic ability appear significantly better to me, I only worry about his durability..

Right, you got it. Sanchez is Pennington-plus. He's an accurate QB, has a better arm than Pennington did out of college, and is a winner.

And he's also significantly better looking I mean c'mon now who would you bang?

Chad Pennington?

Or

Baywatch Sanchez?

so i guess that means you should just never draft a qb; looking for a franchise caliber guy. the risk of him not panning out is just too much right? :rolleyes:

so i guess that means you should just never draft a qb; looking for a franchise caliber guy. the risk of him not panning out is just too much right? :rolleyes:

I think some people fall in love with the idea of what the Pats got in Brady.

That is a once in a lifetime sort of find... you can't build and succeed as an organization if you don't take risks on QB's. I think that some people expect every team to just "happen" upon their QB's, if we look at the elite teams I don't think you can truly say that, JMO.

I saw enough of his games to say BS to this.

The little woman and I have watched most of Sanchez's USC games. While his arm strength is NOT Chad's I don't think it's anything special to write home to mom about. That's one reason why I didn't want the Jets giving up choices to move up to grab him. :bag: As we all know there's so much more to being a QB besides arm strength. Let's hope he's got enough of those.

Archived