Movies We've Seen Thread

Yesterday's movie at the Alamo was Lara Croft: Tomb Raider 

It was just OK, not great, not too bad.

Highlights were some good London scenes, some great Hong Kong scenes (I love Hong King), Walton Coggins (been a fan since Justified) and Alicia Vikander (who I thought was great in Ex-Machina and way better looking than Jolie). 

Plot, screenplay and pacing could have been much better and there was the obvious idea rip offs from Indian Jones. There were times when you wondered why they needed to reboot this franchise. They certainly left it open for sequels. I won't be holding my breath however.

Net net, see this only if you want to go to the movies and you saw all the other interesting movies shown that day.

• Sympathy 1

Watched The Florida Project this weekend.  Somebody, please, tell me why this has achieved any positive reviews and praise.  And how Willem Dafoe was nominated for a best supporting actor Oscar.  Thought this was a meandering mess with quite possibly the most annoying little kid and mother combo in film history.  Awful waste of time.

• Upvote 1

On 3/24/2018 at 4:05 PM, Fantasy Island said:

3 Billboards should have won the oscar, way better than Shape of Water.

Was kinda disappointed. Hollywood makes movies about crime without ever caring about who did it. That may be a cool kids thing, but leaves you wondering what the point is.

2 major plot holes; a homicide investigation for a small town police department is a major thing, not something that gets shortchanged, ever. Don't care how Podunk a place is,murder is a big deal. It's what you get judged on, what the whole thing is about. And who the hell carries a a huge fire extinguisher in their car at all times? 

1 hour ago, Bugg said:

Was kinda disappointed. Hollywood makes movies about crime without ever caring about who did it. That may be a cool kids thing, but leaves you wondering what the point is.

2 major plot holes; a homicide investigation for a small town police department is a major thing, not something that gets shortchanged, ever. Don't care how Podunk a place is,murder is a big deal. It's what you get judged on, what the whole thing is about. And who the hell carries a a huge fire extinguisher in their car at all times? 

Plot holes aside for the moment, were there any social justice causes and small town xenophobia tropes not included in the script? I mean like holy crap already. Pick 2 or 3 and roll with them but this movie just overtly strove to hit every single one as if the screen play had some weird compulsory check list..

This afternoon's movie at the Alamo was Ready Player One

Great animation, excellent visuals, fun action, nice story, not so bad acting by the kids, an interesting look at the future and some good humor

On the other hand, it was dead on predictable, bad acting by the adults (really bad acting), a bit sappy at times and a tad too long

The Mrs. thought of it as a good movie for teens/pre teens but I thought it held up sufficiently for adults to see.

All in all, it raises an interesting question: What avatar would you be?

• Sympathy 1

18 hours ago, The Crimson King said:

This afternoon's movie at the Alamo was Ready Player One

Great animation, excellent visuals, fun action, nice story, not so bad acting by the kids, an interesting look at the future and some good humor

On the other hand, it was dead on predictable, bad acting by the adults (really bad acting), a bit sappy at times and a tad too long

The Mrs. thought of it as a good movie for teens/pre teens but I thought it held up sufficiently for adults to see.

All in all, it raises an interesting question: What avatar would you be?

Many movies are coming in 15 - 20 minutes too long. They just can't help themselves. 

My avatar would be thor. Check that frank the rabbit from darko. Check that a droog. Check that chewie. Check that Luke Skywalker 

1 hour ago, Larz said:

Many movies are coming in 15 - 20 minutes too long. They just can't help themselves. 

My avatar would be thor. Check that frank the rabbit from darko. Check that a droog. Check that chewie. Check that Luke Skywalker 

Well, if you want an avatar from the 80's-90s.......

Mega Man

or Little Mac from Mike Tyson's Punch Out

• Sympathy 1

On 4/3/2018 at 8:29 PM, RutgersJetFan said:

Blade of the Immortal is classic Miike. The whole thing is an ode to himself and he's probably the only guy on the planet that can get away with such a thing. Just a badass flick and I enjoyed the balls out of it.

I tried seeing that in the theater but it was in and out in a week. Did you watch it on Amazon? 

35 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I tried seeing that in the theater but it was in and out in a week. Did you watch it on Amazon? 

Why Tom? So you can write some witty musings and euphemisms on why you didn't like it? Well if you think I'm going to help you do such a thing you've got another thing coming.

• Haha 1

On 4/4/2018 at 9:52 PM, RutgersJetFan said:

Why Tom? So you can write some witty musings and euphemisms on why you didn't like it? Well if you think I'm going to help you do such a thing you've got another thing coming.

I wanted to watch it and lavish it with praise, but now you’ve ruined it for me like you did with Justice League.

A Quiet Place mini-review. Very much like It Comes At Night and somewhat like Signs, but less silly than Signs. Krasinski is good, Blunt (as always) is good. Lots and lots of nice, creepy set pieces, but

***SPOILER-Y BELOW***

ultimately feels very derivative and ends almost exactly like you think it’s going to. Go see it for the craftsmanship.

19 hours ago, T0mShane said:

A Quiet Place mini-review. Very much like It Comes At Night and somewhat like Signs, but less silly than Signs. Krasinski is good, Blunt (as always) is good. Lots and lots of nice, creepy set pieces, but

***SPOILER-Y BELOW***

ultimately feels very derivative and ends almost exactly like you think it’s going to. Go see it for the craftsmanship.

saw it last night.  Thought it was very well done and love the catch line "they can hear you".  But that leads to the question of why all the world's scientists couldn't figure out an audible solution much earlier.  I'm a pretty big Blunt fan, so that made it better.  Highly recommend and it was far better than both It Comes at Night and Signs. 

2 minutes ago, Dcat said:

saw it last night.  Thought it was very well done and love the catch line "they can hear you".  But that leads to the question of why all the world's scientists couldn't figure out an audible solution much earlier.  I'm a pretty big Blunt fan, so that made it better.  Highly recommend and it was far better than both It and Signs. 

It was very good and I liked it more the next day. 

• Upvote 1

Seven Samurai might be the most timeless movie ever. Even more so than Godfather. As I get older I find my appreciation for Kurosawa's movies only gets deeper, and it is hard to think of many other filmmakers like that. Pick any relevant genre today and his fingerprints are all over every one of them.
I was watching Yojimbo the other day as well, first time in a while that I turned it on. This particular scene is just so cold. Mifune's "It'll hurt" retort is the most famous part about it, but if you pay attention to the way Kurosawa carefully positions the angles and lighting, he's clearly intending to make Mifune look like a superhero.
http://www.tcm.com/mediaroom/video/304171/Yojimbo-Movie-Clip-No-Cure-For-Fools.html

Kurosawa was one of the last great film geniuses. If you like Yojimbo, you must check out Sanjuro. His recreations of Shakespeare in feudal Japan were great also (Throne of Blood is amazing). Lucas was inspired by the Hidden Fortress when he made Star Wars.

Toshiro Mifune is still one of my favorite actors. He could be a bit heavy handed, but his ability to convey emotion just by shrugging his shoulder in a certain way made me understand an actors role better than just about one else. His work in the Samurai trilogy was about as on point an actor could be.

New movies just aren’t the same. Well, most of them.

Seven Samurai might be the most timeless movie ever. Even more so than Godfather. As I get older I find my appreciation for Kurosawa's movies only gets deeper, and it is hard to think of many other filmmakers like that. Pick any relevant genre today and his fingerprints are all over every one of them.
I was watching Yojimbo the other day as well, first time in a while that I turned it on. This particular scene is just so cold. Mifune's "It'll hurt" retort is the most famous part about it, but if you pay attention to the way Kurosawa carefully positions the angles and lighting, he's clearly intending to make Mifune look like a superhero.
http://www.tcm.com/mediaroom/video/304171/Yojimbo-Movie-Clip-No-Cure-For-Fools.html

Kurosawa was one of the last great film geniuses. If you like Yojimbo, you must check out Sanjuro. His recreations of Shakespeare in feudal Japan were great also (Throne of Blood is amazing). Lucas was inspired by the Hidden Fortress when he made Star Wars.

Toshiro Mifune is still one of my favorite actors. He could be a bit heavy handed, but his ability to convey emotion just by shrugging his shoulder in a certain way made me understand an actors role better than just about one else. His work in the Samurai trilogy was about as on point an actor could be.

New movies just aren’t the same. Well, most of them.

Finally got around to see Inside Llewyn Davis, not surprisingly, it was brilliant. I forget why it took me this long to finally see it, but glad I did. Not much to say. Oscar Isaac was phenomenal, he was certainly due the subsequent breakout. Coen brothers, goes without saying, two of the best. More straight forward than their usual stuff, but one of their best. 

• Sympathy 2

On 4/7/2018 at 5:22 PM, T0mShane said:

***SPOILER-Y BELOW***

I enjoyed it. Originally when I saw the trailer a few months ago I thought it looked kinda dumb and I just had no interest, but now that I have moviepass I am open to watching more movies whenever I have the time. Right now I have a lot of time so I saw A Quiet Place, Isle of Dogs, Chappaquiddick, and Blockers this weekend.

I tried to go to a showing of AQP that would be as empty as possible as I didn't want anyone screwing with the whole idea of the movie with the silence and jump scares.

• Sympathy 1

Tuesday's movie was Isle of the Dogs

I thought that t was going to be childish but it wasn't. Very creative and clever. Witty Anderson writing and some great voice acting. Also very Japanese, it helps to know some of the culture to really enjoy the film.

If you are looking for something a bit different, see this

On 4/11/2018 at 8:18 PM, RutgersJetFan said:

HBO's Andre the Giant doc is so incredible. The way they build the narrative of Wrestlemania III is some legitimately great directing.

What a fascinating life.

Yo, I need to watch this. I forgot this was airing, same with Paterno. 

9 minutes ago, rillo said:

Yo, I need to watch this. I forgot this was airing, same with Paterno. 

JoePa can rot as far as I'm concerned, but I hated every second of Paterno. Excepting the basic outline, Levinson and Cahn clearly fabricated mostly everything in it. It's basically the Freeh report told through an Aaron Sorkin-esque script.

4 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

JoePa can rot as far as I'm concerned, but I hated every second of Paterno. .

Damn, I didn't have high hopes for it, but I really want to see how they would protray JoePa. He definitely knew what was going on. 

On 4/7/2018 at 4:22 PM, T0mShane said:

***SPOILER-Y BELOW***

***more spoilers below***

It's an exploration of such a fantastic concept. The suspense building from a simple pregnancy was a truly original plot device and it hooked me in immediately. I had only two, very minor beefs. First, what happens when everyone is asleep? Nobody snores loud? Not one nightmare that makes someone yell out in their sleep? 2 kids, 2 adults, there's no way that doesn't happen over the course of a year and a half.

Second, and I'm fully aware that it was done for dramatic effect, but why drop the ax at the end? You're not even going to try and take a swing? Just going to let that monster eat you right in front of your kids and not even give it a shot? Alrighty then.

Other than that it's really hard to want more out of a trip to the theater. Honestly I think horror is killing it more than any other genre this decade. Get Out, It Follows, Babadook, The Witch...etc. It seems to be the genre that studios are willing to let directors, even inexperienced ones, take the most chances. Probably because guys like Peele and Krasinski have been able to keep the budgets low, but whatever, works for me.

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

***more spoilers below***

It's an exploration of such a fantastic concept. The suspense building from a simple pregnancy was a truly original plot device and it hooked me in immediately. I had only two, very minor beefs. First, what happens when everyone is asleep? Nobody snores loud? Not one nightmare that makes someone yell out in their sleep? 2 kids, 2 adults, there's no way that doesn't happen over the course of a year and a half.

Second, and I'm fully aware that it was done for dramatic effect, but why drop the ax at the end? You're not even going to try and take a swing? Just going to let that monster eat you right in front of your kids and not even give it a shot? Alrighty then.

Other than that it's really hard to want more out of a trip to the theater. Honestly I think horror is killing it more than any other genre this decade. Get Out, It Follows, Babadook, The Witch...etc. It seems to be the genre that studios are willing to let directors, even inexperienced ones, take the most chances. Probably because guys like Peele and Krasinski have been able to keep the budgets low, but whatever, works for me.

It’s definitely one of those movies that stick with you, and I’m personally liking it more the more I think about it. I was frustrated by the ending because of what you alluded to with the axe, and I think there’s a lot of allegory attached that I was projecting onto it, but once I got less butthurt by a few elements, I’ve concluded that it’s just a really good, well done flick that I want to see again.

• Sympathy 1

On 4/11/2018 at 8:18 PM, RutgersJetFan said:

HBO's Andre the Giant doc is so incredible. The way they build the narrative of Wrestlemania III is some legitimately great directing.

What a fascinating life.

Yea, it’s good. I didn’t like the Hogan over-indulgence midway through... but it was captivating in spite of that.