Movies We've Seen Thread

Watched two recently...

Revenge: Pretty damn good watch. Not the most realistic movie but once you get past that it's ridiculous in terms of reality, it's a good quality gruesome movie. Great cinematography on top of it all. Plus a bad ass hot chick throughout, can't go wrong! 

Upgrade:  Another revenge movie, but just so well done and the action/fight scenes are amazing, and the way they used the camera movement to give it all that robotic feel. Def recommend going to see this. 

• Upvote 1

On 6/6/2018 at 9:25 AM, MDL_JET said:

Watched two recently...

Revenge: Pretty damn good watch. Not the most realistic movie but once you get past that it's ridiculous in terms of reality, it's a good quality gruesome movie. Great cinematography on top of it all. Plus a bad ass hot chick throughout, can't go wrong! 

Upgrade:  Another revenge movie, but just so well done and the action/fight scenes are amazing, and the way they used the camera movement to give it all that robotic feel. Def recommend going to see this. 

Saw both those Entertaining. And the azz on that chic in Revenge is just insane.

Finally caught up on Avengers and Deadpool this weekend:

Avengers was awesome.  Arguably the best Marvel movie to date.  Everything fit, everything worked, the humor registered, the mysterious ending with just the core Avengers left alive.  So good!  Absolutely loved it.

Deadpool really just didnt do it for me.  It wasnt anywhere near as good as the first one and I often found myself extremely bored with the story.  It was funny and entertaining to an extent but it was just very blah.  It might need a 2nd watch.  I just found myself getting really bored with the plot. 

• Upvote 1

On 5/27/2018 at 10:32 PM, Jet_Engine1 said:

Solo was the first SW movie Ive truly enjoyed in a theatre since the OT was re-released in '97. Thought Ehrenreich did a great job (was shocked that he pulled it off as well as he did), thought the movie was fun and cool (aside from the annoying AF, pointless Droid) and I really loved a few moments in it. I think I get their plan now. Make mindless new crap in the series films for the idiot SJW millennial crowd, and make cool throwbacks for the anthology films for us old geezers and our kids. 

Whatever. I hope Solo gets a trilogy and I think Kenobi with McGregor will be epic. 

Still havent seen Solo.  Probably not going to the movies for it.  

Why you ask?

Image result for luke dusts off his shoulder gif

• Sympathy 1

just got back from infinity war. waited for the crowds to die down, literally only 5 people there in the theaters. imo one of the best marvel movies ever. toss up between this, civil war, winter soldier, and iron man 1. also saw deadpool 2 two weeks ago and thought it was hilarious. prolly not as good as the first but the x force scene along with cable was worth it. im also a huge xmen fan so the villian reveal was great

Surprisingly, the new Halloween trailer doesn’t look half bad.

I’m glad they’re totally ignoring those sh*t sequels and making a direct follow up to the 1978 original. They even managed to get John Carpenter on board as executive producer and to produce the music and are bringing back the stuntman who played Michael Myers in the original.

On 6/18/2018 at 5:01 PM, JiF said:

I like the Kingsman movies.  They're fun.  Just saw the 2nd the other day and enjoyed it.  Not as much as the 1st but still good.

Well at least they brought back the real star (Firth) for a bit.  The complete miscasting of Samuel Jackson and the stupid speech impediment they gave him in the first, ruined that one for me.  I was like "this is beyond stupid and horrible" everytime Jackson appeared or said anything.  Was the 2nd movie really worth the time?  I know I won't be watching any more of them, unless forced to.

• 2 weeks later...

So my first attempt at seeing movies on weeknights to avoid crowds was a success. Saw incredibles 2 last night. 

Smallish crowd, no babies! 

I enjoyed the movie, good not amazeballs 

Some good Easter eggs, can't believe they didn't bust the Villain for monologing tho lol

Just saw Sicario 2. If you enjoyed the complex meditation on the fluid nature of ethics in the face of overwhelming evil from the original, this movie is not for you. Instead, this feels like they took a bunch of set pieces cut from the first film, taped them together, and marketed it as a sequel. There’s no depth, and the film consciously avoids making the hard narrative choices that made S1 so compelling. As annoying as Emily Blunt’s moralizing was in the original, you definitely miss that element here. Instead, it’s just a morose Benicio Del Toro mumbling sh*t at an acerbic Josh Brolin, with no counterweight to balance what they’re plotting (Brolin: “We’re gonna start a war...between drug cartels.” Del Toro: “OK.” Brolin: “And it’s gonna get dirty!” Del Toro: “Yeah, sure, fine.”) There’s also some weird aside with a deaf guy that goes nowhere, but the deaf guy is played by Pablo Escobar’s attorney from Narcos, which left me wishing I was home watching Narcos instead. 

As in S1, there’s a subplot with some minor characters who live along the border, but—unlike the Mexican cop in S1–they’re so one-dimensional that you don’t care about them at all. All in all, if you liked Sicario and you like Taylor Sheridan scripts, I’d wait until this is on Netflix. Otherwise, pass.

• Upvote 1

On 6/29/2018 at 5:10 PM, T0mShane said:

Just saw Sicario 2. If you enjoyed the complex meditation on the fluid nature of ethics in the face of overwhelming evil from the original, this movie is not for you. Instead, this feels like they took a bunch of set pieces cut from the first film, taped them together, and marketed it as a sequel. There’s no depth, and the film consciously avoids making the hard narrative choices that made S1 so compelling. As annoying as Emily Blunt’s moralizing was in the original, you definitely miss that element here. Instead, it’s just a morose Benicio Del Toro mumbling sh*t at an acerbic Josh Brolin, with no counterweight to balance what they’re plotting (Brolin: “We’re gonna start a war...between drug cartels.” Del Toro: “OK.” Brolin: “And it’s gonna get dirty!” Del Toro: “Yeah, sure, fine.”) There’s also some weird aside with a deaf guy that goes nowhere, but the deaf guy is played by Pablo Escobar’s attorney from Narcos, which left me wishing I was home watching Narcos instead. 

As in S1, there’s a subplot with some minor characters who live along the border, but—unlike the Mexican cop in S1–they’re so one-dimensional that you don’t care about them at all. All in all, if you liked Sicario and you like Taylor Sheridan scripts, I’d wait until this is on Netflix. Otherwise, pass.

Thats disappointing. Tge first one is a really good flick.

On 7/4/2018 at 1:20 PM, RutgersJetFan said:

The Hateful Eight is aging like a fine wine. If Pulp Fiction wasn't Tarantino's Appetite for Destruction you could make a serious case for H8 being his best.

I stand by my opinion that Tarantino movies are overeated trash written from the point of view of a 14 year olds confused mindset combined with a lonely 55 year old hermit-pedophile that hates women.

• Haha 1

On 6/29/2018 at 4:10 PM, T0mShane said:

Exactly what I thought it would be after watching the trailer....so sad.  The original kicked azz.

• Upvote 1

I'm a huge Purge fan so take this with a grain of salt, but The First Purge is pretty great. Perfect mixture of B-movie goodness and embracing what I think is one of the cooler movie franchise concepts. When the franchise accepts that it's a throwback to the type of sh*t that John Carpenter used to make, like it did in Anarchy and this one, it really shines.

I am still hoping they do an entire movie about Purge Tourism, which they talked about in Election Year. That is a dope concept.

On 6/11/2018 at 11:40 AM, JiF said:

Still havent seen Solo.  Probably not going to the movies for it.  

Why you ask?

Image result for luke dusts off his shoulder gif

I thought Solo was very good.  Star Wars films have been hit and miss with me over the past few years.  I wasn't a big fan of The Last Jedi (2017) but I really liked The Force Awakens.  I have to say my favorite film, other than The Empire Strikes Back (which is the best movie they've ever made) is actually the side project, Rogue One.  Although a lot of people like it and it got very good reviews I still consider it underrated.  The way they turned what was basically a footnote in the original Star Wars, Episode IV: A New Hope, about getting the plans for the Death Star into an entire movie with great characters and incredible depth was fascinating to me.  SPOILER ALERT (although you all should have seen Rogue One by now): I thought Felicity Jones was phenomal as Jyn Erso and how her perception of her father changed from what she had suspected (he was a traitor) to knowing he had secretly been building a vulnerability in the Death Star was awesome.  I also thought it was bold and somewhat un-Star Wars like to have almost all of the heroes and key characters perish by the end of the film.  The movie almost had an Invasion of Normandy type feel to it when they finally landed on Scarif in that they knew there would be massive casualties and they would all likely die but the importance of the mission was so critical that it didn't matter.  The final 2 minutes and lead up to Episode IV just sealed the deal for me on that movie.

What chance do we have? The question is "what choice." Run, hide, plead for mercy, scatter your forces. You give way to an enemy this evil with this much power and you condemn the galaxy to an eternity of submission. The time to fight is now!

And she ain't bad to look at!

lg.jpg

• Upvote 1

On 7/13/2018 at 11:02 PM, chirorob said:

Finally watched a Quiet Place

Really, really good.

Me too.  Saw it this weekend.  Absolutely loved it.

Great acting.  Great scenes.  Killer concept.  It was just done really well.

It opens up a massive world to do more similar movies.  Like I'd love to see what happened after the movie ended.  How many people are still alive?    And I'd love to see the origin of the monsters.  How did they get there, where did they come from, etc.

First time in a while a movie lived up to expectations for me.

13 minutes ago, JiF said:

Me too.  Saw it this weekend.  Absolutely loved it.

Great acting.  Great scenes.  Killer concept.  It was just done really well.

It opens up a massive world to do more similar movies.  Like I'd love to see what happened after the movie ended.  How many people are still alive?    And I'd love to see the origin of the monsters.  How did they get there, where did they come from, etc.

First time in a while a movie lived up to expectations for me.

The scene where she steps on the nail....

Wow.   One of the most suspenseful things I can remember seeing.

• Upvote 1

On 7/10/2018 at 2:41 PM, RutgersJetFan said:

I'm a huge Purge fan so take this with a grain of salt, but The First Purge is pretty great. Perfect mixture of B-movie goodness and embracing what I think is one of the cooler movie franchise concepts. When the franchise accepts that it's a throwback to the type of sh*t that John Carpenter used to make, like it did in Anarchy and this one, it really shines.

I am still hoping they do an entire movie about Purge Tourism, which they talked about in Election Year. That is a dope concept.

If you are a purge fan, there is a 10 episode mini series starting in September.  Enjoy it.