Movies We've Seen Thread

8 hours ago, BroadwayJoe12 said:

Or when Crash won over Munich, Capote or Brokeback Mountain. The other one that alwaysss bothered me, was Joaquin Phoenix losing to anyone in Gladiator. Del Toro was and is always awesome, but damn did I think Phoenix deserved that. 

If we get laid tonight it’s because of Eric Bana in Munich.

On 3/15/2018 at 12:53 AM, Thor99 said:

Annihilation. 

Dont see it. 

Such a letdown. Even more because it’s Alex Garland and he had never had a miss. Just an incredibly boring, weirdly shot slog of a movie with absolutely no payoff at the end. I can’t believe he followed up Ex Machina with this.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Wind River is incredible. I think Taylor Sheridan might be the most gifted person in Hollywood. Really praying he keeps sticking with original works. I fear that Disney is gonna offer him gazillions to write for Star Wars or Marvel, and that would be a real loss. Dude is a true artist. 

I just saw this last week and wanted to say something similar, but I figured you dudes reviewed it already. I avoided Wind River for a long time because I’m kinda meh on Renner, but this was really good. Something about this one and Hell or High Water were really affecting in the sense that you think about them days later. The characters are sparse and unpretentious, I think. Sheridan doesn’t puff them up with eye-roll worthy backstories as a cheap way to buy the viewers interest in the characters. They’re just dudes crawling through the muck. 

While I’m in here:

—Rebirth: it’s on Netflix and it’s got Adam Goldberg in it, who is always great. It’s also got a dude in it who looks like Domhnall Gleeson, but it’s actually the stoner from The Cabin in the Woods. It’s very clever, about a pent-up yuppie dude going to a life-improvement seminar thing that turns out to be super culty. It falls apart at the end, but the questions it asks in the first two thirds are interesting and the performances are good. Can’t say I recommend it because it gets so sloppy in the third act, but it wasn’t terrible overall.

—Thor Ragnarock: Just good fun. Tom Hiiddleston carries the Avengers franchise, and watching him and Hemsworth yuck it up is great. 

4 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I just saw this last week and wanted to say something similar, but I figured you dudes reviewed it already. I avoided Wind River for a long time because I’m kinda meh on Renner, but this was really good. Something about this one and Hell or High Water were really affecting in the sense that you think about them days later. The characters are sparse and unpretentious, I think. Sheridan doesn’t puff them up with eye-roll worthy backstories as a cheap way to buy the viewers interest in the characters. They’re just dudes crawling through the muck. 

Yep. I still think about Sicario even years later. His movies are thoroughly subtle political critiques masked in hyper-rural character driven crime stories. Nobody writes like he does. Nobody. 

Anyone here have moviepass? I just got mine last week and it's pretty great. I probably see a movie every 1-2 weeks. Now with this, I can pretty much go whenever I am free and catch some movies I would have not bothered with if I had to pay.

For those who don't know about mp, it's like $10 a month and you get to see up to 1 movie a day at virtually any theater you want.

So I finally saw Dunkirk yesterday, on a large flat screen TV 

I really liked it, didn't love it. 

I'm sure in a theater the rolls royce engines would have been super awesome 

Obviously a very simple straight forward story. 

Really enjoyed bane in a plane and the BFG in a boat 

The main story line of the young soldier was kinda boring, seemed like that story was just a place holder 

Overall 4 hammers 

On 3/18/2018 at 8:12 AM, Larz said:

The main story line of the young soldier was kinda boring, seemed like that story was just a place holder 

Overall 4 hammers 

In the theater with the big sound, it was awesome.   If nothing else, just to give a glimpse of an idea of the terror of the day.

On 3/11/2018 at 8:11 AM, chirorob said:

That was one of the last times I watched the awards.    Shakespeare in love was good, but in no way was that best picture of the year.

I finally watched couples retreat.   Pretty funny

Same with Dances with Wolves over Good Fellas.

• Upvote 1

On 3/18/2018 at 8:12 AM, Larz said:

Overall 4 hammers 

Due to the pre-viewing hype, I was disappointed in this movie.

1 hour ago, peebag said:

Same with Dances with Wolves over Good Fellas.

What a travesty.

A good way to look at it is, watch the movie a second time.   Good Fellas, second time, still awesome.   3rd, 4th, ect.   Dances, 1st time, it's good.   after that, sooooooo slow.   I mean, it was a very good movie, but come on.

Rented Call Me By Your Name with the wife this past weekend.  Must say I don't understand all the fawning praise for the film.   Just another of those "character studies" with no story to drive the movie and keep the viewer interested.  The two male leads were fine acting wise, but that was not enough for me.  And, you will never look at--or eat--a peach the same way again.

5-10

Alien: Covenant isn't bad so much as super dark and depressing. Reeeeeeaaaaaally dark, just for what happens to Elizabeth Shaw alone. Any scene with Fassbender's Davis is intense, great villain character.

I tried watching The Amazing Spider Man this weekend but watching a 40 year old Garfield and 30 year old Emma Stone pretend to be HS students took me out of it.

Tuesday's movie at the Alamo was "A Wrinkle in Time"

I love vacations and appreciate that the writer's guild apparently all went on one together when they made this movie. There was some nice CGI and a great Sci Fi premise to build off of. However, acting rated from fair to MST3000 level bad, lack of a good story and uninspired dialog makes this one hard to recommend unless you are a kiddie. They didn't even get the title right as it should be "A Wrinkle in Space". I'd add spoilers here except that there was nothing to spoil.

Still, the bottle of wine was good and they did a nice job on the Mexican Tofu Quinoa bowl but the Brussel Sprouts pizza was served cold. 

Highlight of the afternoon was the four previews. Incredibles 2, Ready Player One, Isle of Dogs and, believe it or not Mary Poppins 2. I'd see all of these including MP2, but just out of curiosity as to exactly why the @%#$ they would want to do this.

On 3/20/2018 at 9:26 PM, SenorGato said:

Alien: Covenant isn't bad so much as super dark and depressing. Reeeeeeaaaaaally dark, just for what happens to Elizabeth Shaw alone. Any scene with Fassbender's Davis is intense, great villain character.

I tried watching The Amazing Spider Man this weekend but watching a 40 year old Garfield and 30 year old Emma Stone pretend to be HS students took me out of it.

I liked Covenant, but agree, it’s pretty dark sh*t.

Spidey homecoming is good. The casting is better, and the overall ‘lightness’ of it is on-brand for Spidey.

Black Panther is just a good ass movie. Saw it today. Great story, characters and plot. Social commentary is solid and not heavy handed. Super hero aspect is an afterthought, which is really what makes it work. Loved it.

Saw trailers for Venom, Deadpool 2, Solo, Jurassic, Altman + Wasp, Ready Player One, all today at theater. Good flicks in the horizon.

Was in Brooklyn having my bike packed up for a trip, and with my moviepass burning a whole in my pocket, figured I would check out a movie in a Brooklyn theater while here. The Alamo Drafthouse is showing Death Of Stalin and I wanted to see that so i did dinner at the movies.

The film was great, but really unlike any movie I can think of. At first I thought it would be one of those historical comedies like a Mel Brooks movie, where it's kind of slapstick and the actors kinda know they are filming a comedy. That was definitely not the case. It is a movie that takes some of world history's worst real life people and actual  evil history, and folds in this dry humor, and it worked perfectly. It was going to take some great actors to pull off, and the cast was definitely up to the task. I found myself sitting in a full theater laughing out loud with the whole audience while thinking "how in the world are they making this subject matter into a comedy?" At the end it got applause from practically the whole theater, which doesn't happen so often.

DEATH_OF_STALIN_POSTER_1000-920x584.jpg

• Sympathy 1

I think my current two favorite actors are Elizabeth Debicki and James McAvoy. I'm also partial to Eva Green and Dohmnall Gleeson. 

Everyone else seems to be doing some version of this:

giphy.gif

-------

Not sure I mentioned it but Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets is a very fun movie. 

Seven Samurai might be the most timeless movie ever. Even more so than Godfather. As I get older I find my appreciation for Kurosawa's movies only gets deeper, and it is hard to think of many other filmmakers like that. Pick any relevant genre today and his fingerprints are all over every one of them.

I was watching Yojimbo the other day as well, first time in a while that I turned it on. This particular scene is just so cold. Mifune's "It'll hurt" retort is the most famous part about it, but if you pay attention to the way Kurosawa carefully positions the angles and lighting, he's clearly intending to make Mifune look like a superhero.

http://www.tcm.com/mediaroom/video/304171/Yojimbo-Movie-Clip-No-Cure-For-Fools.html

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Seven Samurai might be the most timeless movie ever. Even more so than Godfather. As I get older I find my appreciation for Kurosawa's movies only gets deeper, and it is hard to think of many other filmmakers like that. Pick any relevant genre today and his fingerprints are all over every one of them.

I was watching Yojimbo the other day as well, first time in a while that I turned it on. This particular scene is just so cold. Mifune's "It'll hurt" retort is the most famous part about it, but if you pay attention to the way Kurosawa carefully positions the angles and lighting, he's clearly intending to make Mifune look like a superhero.

http://www.tcm.com/mediaroom/video/304171/Yojimbo-Movie-Clip-No-Cure-For-Fools.html

My sister introduced me to kurosawa. I tried to watch Ran but quickly lost interest and gave up mostly due to the subtitles. Something told me to give it another shot. 

I did and wow I was so blown away by the horses and landscapes. 

The plot seemed very familiar. A quick trip to imbd and I was hooked. 

I started to read up on him and quickly got my hands on 7 samurai and roshomon 

Armed with knowledge on his use of movement, 7 samurai was like watching a film for the first time rather than a movie. The way he captured such simple things as the samurai running around the camp were so mesmerizing. 

Roshomon tested my limits as a viewer due to the attention to detail required, but gave me what I seek as a viewer, it made me think and feel. 

I will give yojimbo a try. 

• Sympathy 1

19 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Dreams was the movie that changed everything for me. Granted it was a winter break film class that I was stoned off my ass for.

After that, for me, Ran and Kagemusha maybe because they're more sweeping or epic or in color. He's the greatest though. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1