Idzik whacks two long-time Jets scouts; purge begins

T0mShane

Idzik makes changes to Jets' scouting dept.

By BRIAN COSTELLO

Last Updated: 8:52 PM, May 1, 2013

New Jets general manager John Idzik has begun making some changes to the scouting department now that the NFL Draft is over.

The Jets will not renew the contracts of assistant director of college scouting Michael Davis and area scout Joe Bommarito, according to multiple sources.

Davis had been with the Jets for 16 years, the last five as assistant director of college scouting. He is also responsible for scouting the Southeast, including SEC and ACC schools.

Bommarito had been with the Jets for 12 years and was responsible for the West Coast.

The two technically still work for the Jets until the end of the month when their contracts will expire.

These are the first changes to the scouting department Idzik has made since he was hired in January. Typically, teams wait until after the draft to make these kinds of changes.

Idzik, in meeting at Florham Park:

"So which of you jackasses is responsible for Sanchez?"

- Guy in corner sheepishly raises hand - 

"......................Get out."

Rex is still here

The scuttlebutt is that Bradway is a GREAT scout who was Peter Principled as a GM.

Ultimately he will be Idziked though.  These situations usually work themselves out.

This draft was important for Idzik, next year's draft is more important. Next year it will be his front office in place, not Tannenbaum's. I'm sure there will be a lot of moves coming - as there should be.

I want the jackass who gave Shonn Greene a first round grade out of the organization. Cimini reports that he was told more changes are coming.

It was me, but I have 'pictures' of John from his IBM days ;) baaaaaaaa

Shonn Greene was a 3rd round pick in 2009 not first....BUT this is totally normal for a new GM to leave the scouting dept in tact for the draft then make his changes afterwards.  It's not enough time to interview new scouts and bring in their own guys before the 2013 draft so they usually wait it out.  Couldn't agree more with the hope of Bradway being fired. 

This draft was important for Idzik, next year's draft is more important. Next year it will be his front office in place, not Tannenbaum's. I'm sure there will be a lot of moves coming - as there should be.

This.  I know a lot of people were initially upset by the lack of moves in the scouting department when Idzik first came on, but you simply can't be making those kinds of changes just months before the draft.  Now that there will be time to get a new scouting team in place, assign them their responsibilities and for them to actually get the scouting done, Idzik isn't going to be hesitant to make any moves he wants.

Glad they are gone. The whole department needs a redo. Jets drafts have been average at best the last 12-16 years, the time these two guys have been there. With a few really good picks, we've whiffed on several high draft picks. Don't want Bradway either.

Yup, Jets will have about $40-45mil in cap space and I see another 2008 signing rampage next year.

What matters is who he hires that's more important and most likey bradway will be more involved with that .

Hopefully he shows Bradway the door soon as well.  Talk about a dude who has been here too long for too many bad things.

Hopefully he shows Bradway the door soon as well.  Talk about a dude who has been here too long for too many bad things.

I'm sure it's been mentioned somewhere in the multitude of these threads, but the feeling has always been that Bradway is a very talented scout that was pushed into a position he wasn't at all capable of handling.  I know it's one of those moves people don't like to see be made, but keeping him around as a scout in a much more limited role is probably a good thing. Just give him a room to himself and a bunch of tape or a practice field and players and he's good to go; just don't ask him to make all your football-related decisions.

I'm pretty sure that was just propaganda. He wasn't bad for a 3rd.

Yes but the Jets MIGHT HAVE drafted him in the first if they had several first round picks. So take THAT!

Ho hum moves given a special little New Cultures spin. SEC/ACC guy wasn't exactly winning the room and hitting on players anyway...definitely first thing I noticed.

Archived