I take back some of the mean stuff I said about Curtis Martin

T0mShane

Never doubted he was a good guy. And not his fault at the end Edwards rode him so damn hard. Clear he probably played a lot when he should've sat but he probably did so in large part because as a good person being paid very well he felt obliged to be in the game even less than 100%.

Didn't know that Bart Scott came from a horrific Detroit neighborhood either. That either achieved as much as they did speaks to how hard they worked to overcome such awfulness.

Watching him on that god awful CenterStage right now. I never realized what an emotionally tortured dude he is. He's detailing the times he watched his father slap his mom around, etc. No wonder he doesn't care all that much about football. Sorry, Curt.

Did you watch his HOF Induction speech?

Watching him on that god awful CenterStage right now. I never realized what an emotionally tortured dude he is. He's detailing the times he watched his father slap his mom around, etc. No wonder he doesn't care all that much about football. Sorry, Curt.

Go youtube his hof speech. Crazy.

Apparently Tom didn't realize Curtis was in the HOF.

He was Thomas Jones for 10 years instead of 5.  Clearly difficult, otherwise there would be a number of others with those same numbers.  But really wasn't great at anything except his impossibly-high pain tolerance.  Solid back who we paid (and who occupied team's cap space) like he was a healthy Adrian Peterson on steroids.  Twice.  Then would repeatedly take credit for converting later-pay (salary) into instant-pay (more/new signing bonus) as though he was taking one for the team, and the fans blindly bought it & called him a class-act for it.  Also all the excuse-making for him (while he was getting paid as though he was best RB of all time) if there weren't huge running lanes for him to run through.  Despite some 4000 touches, there was a ridiculously-miniscule number of famous runs where he broke crazy numbers of tackles or busted through the line and ran away from everyone.  Maybe it's just a personal point of view, but when he's getting record-setting contracts (2 or 3 times) and are paid like he's the single best RB of all time, his legacy should be more than just being "solid" or the fan-cop-out that he "just got it done" or other wishy-washy descriptions.  Meanwhile those contracts (today's equivalent of some $14M/year, which is Adrian Peterson level) meant not getting or keeping others at a time we always seemed to be 1 player short.  

Our best season as a team he had a top-rated QB and the NFL's #1 (Keyshawn) and #2 (Chrebet) leaders in first down receptions.  And with a damn solid passing game and clearly above-average line, our franchise player gave us a season of 3.5 ypc and culminated in 1.1 ypc and a killer fumble in the championship game.  If he was all that he was paid to be maybe we could have controlled the clock and protected our 10 point lead in the 2nd half.  Denver had a gamer at RB and we didn't and the rest, as they say, is history.  He may have torched the NFL's worst rush defense (Indy) twice that season, but what happened when facing the really good ones like Buffalo or Denver? If his longevity was an attribute, where's the long list of big games where he faced a demon rush defense and tore them a new one? At a position that garnered 400 touches a year I'd rather have a true difference-maker for a few years while we were true contenders than someone "solid" who "just gets it done" for 10.

However, he was a good player & a good guy & we should be so lucky to have a handful like him right now.  Wasn't a big fan of the ball-hogginess (or his lack of playmaking at a playmaking position despite the almost-unprecedented number of touches); but most players, even when they weren't doing well on a particular day, would ask for the ball just as often when asked by the coaches like Curtis was asked. Look at that prima donna slimeball Santonio, who throws a temper tantrum in the huddle and acts like a douchebag in general when he isn't getting the ball, no matter how many easy catches he drops or routes he quits on.  

Now I've lost my train of thought through all my meandering babble. What was I talking about? Oh yeah: T0mShane and Mark Sanchez suck.

Did you watch his HOF Induction speech?

To this day, I will never understand how he could say he loved his father after how he literally tortured his mother for years: that was one of the more difficult speeches I've ever listened to. The story about the hot water, lighting her hair on fire and putting cigarettes out on her is something that I'll never be able to forget: he was never my favorite Jet, but that man has been through more than anyone should ever to have to go through in a lifetime. Always nice to see guys like him and Bart Scott make it out of those places.

He was Thomas Jones for 10 years instead of 5.  Clearly difficult, otherwise there would be a number of others with those same numbers.  But really wasn't great at anything except his impossibly-high pain tolerance.  Solid back who we paid (and who occupied team's cap space) like he was a healthy Adrian Peterson on steroids.  Twice.  Then would repeatedly take credit for converting later-pay (salary) into instant-pay (more/new signing bonus) as though he was taking one for the team, and the fans blindly bought it & called him a class-act for it.  Also all the excuse-making for him (while he was getting paid as though he was best RB of all time) if there weren't huge running lanes for him to run through.  Despite some 4000 touches, there was a ridiculously-miniscule number of famous runs where he broke crazy numbers of tackles or busted through the line and ran away from everyone.  Maybe it's just a personal point of view, but when he's getting record-setting contracts (2 or 3 times) and are paid like he's the single best RB of all time, his legacy should be more than just being "solid" or the fan-cop-out that he "just got it done" or other wishy-washy descriptions.  Meanwhile those contracts (today's equivalent of some $14M/year, which is Adrian Peterson level) meant not getting or keeping others at a time we always seemed to be 1 player short.  

Our best season as a team he had a top-rated QB and the NFL's #1 (Keyshawn) and #2 (Chrebet) leaders in first down receptions.  And with a damn solid passing game and clearly above-average line, our franchise player gave us a season of 3.5 ypc and culminated in 1.1 ypc and a killer fumble in the championship game.  If he was all that he was paid to be maybe we could have controlled the clock and protected our 10 point lead in the 2nd half.  Denver had a gamer at RB and we didn't and the rest, as they say, is history.  He may have torched the NFL's worst rush defense (Indy) twice that season, but what happened when facing the really good ones like Buffalo or Denver? If his longevity was an attribute, where's the long list of big games where he faced a demon rush defense and tore them a new one? At a position that garnered 400 touches a year I'd rather have a true difference-maker for a few years while we were true contenders than someone "solid" who "just gets it done" for 10.

However, he was a good player & a good guy & we should be so lucky to have a handful like him right now.  Wasn't a big fan of the ball-hogginess (or his lack of playmaking at a playmaking position despite the almost-unprecedented number of touches); but most players, even when they weren't doing well on a particular day, would ask for the ball just as often when asked by the coaches like Curtis was asked. Look at that prima donna slimeball Santonio, who throws a temper tantrum in the huddle and acts like a douchebag in general when he isn't getting the ball, no matter how many easy catches he drops or routes he quits on.  

Now I've lost my train of thought through all my meandering babble. What was I talking about? Oh yeah: T0mShane and Mark Sanchez suck.

I just fail to see the problem with any of this.  The Jets had a very good running back who played for a very long time.  Sounds good to me.

He didnt hold a gun to anybodys head for those paydays and you or I or anybody else would be a damn fool for turning down that kind of money. I agree that CM was the ultimate compiler, but why blame him for getting whatever he could get?

He didnt hold a gun to anybodys head for those paydays and you or I or anybody else would be a damn fool for turning down that kind of money. I agree that CM was the ultimate compiler, but why blame him for getting whatever he could get?

I didn't blame him for taking what was offered to him.  More it just bugged me, all the cooing over his greatness on the field and the supposed martyrdom every time he restructured (and took later pay up front in doing so) that led to people saying what a selfless team-first player he was.

His huge dollars ate up a seriously diproportionate (and undeserved) portion of the team's salary cap and was a pretty ordinary runner with the ball in his hands.  I'll give him props for lots of things, like holding onto the football (so long as we're not talking about championship games or on plays where the team's only QB snapped his Achilles tendon), being a pretty good and smart blocker, a pretty good receiver, and stayed out of trouble unlike many others.

He was just so massively overrated is all, and after 10 years of hearing what a great RB he was (while watching him get stuffed by almost every good defense we faced & piling it up against doormats), it just grated on me.  If he was making half what he did, which would have allowed the team overall to have better talent elsewhere, or if there was no salary cap, or if he didn't get at least 30% more carries than his running ability warranted, you'd probably guess right that I wouldn't have much negative to say about him on the field.  Off the field I don't have anything bad to say and it does sound like he had a horrible childhood.  Good for him that he grew up into a decent person instead of what the odds said he'd become.

Revis > Martin - and it's not even close. Yet fans vilify Revis, and laud Martin as a steady diet. Jets got more for their money with Revis.

That said, I have no problem with either of them collecting all they could (can).

Thomas Jones couldn't hold Martin's jock strap.   http://www.newyorkjets.com/videos/videos/JetsTV---Curtis-Martin-Highlights/27825521-79d0-11df-ba56-acc8e62813e9

How can you even knock Curtis Martin. You are a penis. Martin was the greatest RB of all time on the Jets. No one - not even Freeman McNeil - is even close. Yeah, he may have gotten a few more dollars than most RB's but who else did the Jets HAVE in those years to count on offensively? Coles was solid as was Chrebet, but Martin was the player other teams feared.

Revis > Martin - and it's not even close. Yet fans vilify Revis, and laud Martin as a steady diet. Jets got more for their money with Revis.

That said, I have no problem with either of them collecting all they could (can).

Apples and oranges dude. How do you compare offense to defense? It's impossible. How many yards would Revis have rushed for? How many interceptions would Martin have had? Dude.

How can you even knock Curtis Martin. Martin was the greatest RB of all time on the Jets. No one - not even Freeman McNeil - is even close. Yeah, he may have gotten a few more dollars than most RB's but who else did the Jets HAVE in those years to count on offensively? Coles was solid as was Chrebet, but Martin was the player other teams feared.

Stop with the insults - especially a moderator does not bode well for your future here. Argue without calling out people.

Martin had endurance, didn't fumble, and was one of the best Jets ever, and a good guy but.....................

McNeil was a much more dynamic, faster, game changing player. Not even close talent wise in my opinion.

And furthermore, McNeil was a true Jet, not a Patriot castoff.

Martin had endurance, didn't fumble, and was one of the best Jets ever, and a good guy but.....................

McNeil was a much more dynamic, faster, game changing player. Not even close talent wise in my opinion.

And furthermore, McNeil was a true Jet, not a Patriot castoff.

Martin was better than McNeil.

Martin was better than McNeil.

Sure, right. As long as you only want to count total career yds as your measuring stick..

Cumar averaged 4 yards or less 7 times during an 11 year career. Career avg of 4.0

McNeil? never had a season with less than a 4yd average and has a career avg of 4.5. Higher than guys like Faulk, Dorsett, Dickerson, Earl Campbell and more.

Cumar? Doesnt even make the top 250. Hell, even Matt Snell had a better average.

Sure, right. As long as you only want to count total career yds as your measuring stick..

Cumar averaged 4 yards or less 7 times during an 11 year career. Career avg of 4.0

McNeil? never had a season with less than a 4yd average and has a career avg of 4.5. Higher than guys like Faulk, Dorsett, Dickerson, Earl Campbell and more.

Cumar? Doesnt even make the top 250. Hell, even Matt Snell had a better average.

+1 Cumar was a great role model and person.. That being said without his college coach as the OC Hackett and a brain dead HC Hermie the Horrible Martin doesn't make the HOF. He was allowed to play with ankle sprains and when he was too hurt to practice. Look at the last game in 01 against the Raiders. Jordan came in had one carry for 46 yds and a TD and Hackett put him right back on the bench.. If it wasn't for 2 overtime games in 04 Martin doesn't win the rushing title.. He always needed more carries for the same yds.. He made Pro Bowls with 3.5 and 3.6 ypc LOL In 2003 LT had 1645 yds on 313 carries 13 tds plus 100 catches for 725 yds and 4 td's and didn't make the Pro Bowl.. But in the days of punk players Martin was a alter boy and that helps allot..

Archived