Source: Jets Had E.J. Manuel Rated Higher That Geno Smith

flgreen

Source: Jets had E.J. Manuel rated higher than Geno Smith

geno_smith1-614x436.jpg

Geno Smith has one game left this season to prove the Jets were wrong in their assessment of him leading into the NFL Draft.

Sources tell Metro New York that Smith was second on the Jets’ board prior to the NFL Draft, behind Bills starting quarterback E.J. Manuel. The Bills seemed to concur with the Jets’ draft assessment as they made Manuel the top quarterback taken in the draft at No. 16 overall.

The source, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, tells Metro “the Jets had a late first-round grade on both Manuel and Smith, but they had Manuel higher.”

The Bills “reached” in their selection, according to another source, by taking Manuel where they did in the first round. The source went on to say the Jets would have been comfortable taking Manuel where they took Smith in the second round, or later in the first round if they had moved back.

Smith was the second quarterback taken in the NFL Draft at No. 39 overall.

Manuel has completed 58.8 percent of his passes this year for 1,972 yards with 11 touchdowns and nine interceptions. Taken 23 picks later, Smith is No. 37 in the league in QBR (seven slots behind Manuel) and he is second in the league with 21 interceptions. It appears that the Bills — and the Jets as well — were right in their initial assessment of the two rookies.

To his credit, Smith’s 2,856 passing yards were a team record for a rookie. Head coach Rex Ryan said of Smith on Thursday, “As far as his play, he’s come a million miles.”

According to the second source, “Manuel was the more polished quarterback with the higher ceiling,” which is why the Jets had him ranked above Smith.

Jets notes …

» Head coach Rex Ryan said tight end Kellen Winslow was sent home from Thursday’s practice due to illness.

» Another Jets player who didn’t practice on Thursday was cornerback Ellis Lankster, who has a right jaw injury. During the bye week last month, Lankster had his wisdom teeth removed. But in Week 15, Lankster took a shot to his right jaw during a special teams play, on the same side where he had the teeth pulled. An infection set in, the dentist believes, “from the fingers of the doctors in my mouth.” He has since felt spasms extending from his right ear down the entirety of his jaw.

“I’m eating only yogurt and noodles,” Lankster told Metro. “Not even hard cereal.”

» Jets wide receiver David Nelson had two touchdown catches last Sunday, his first touchdowns of the season. Nelson has been a nice midseason addition to the Jets’ receiving corps and fans have been clamoring for him to re-sign next season.

Metro New York has learned Nelson signed a two-year contract with the team and is expected to be back next season.

» Last week, the Jets announced Isaiah Trufant was the winner of the Ed Block Courage Award, as voted on by his teammates. The reason, Trufant said, “is overcoming my offseason surgeries.” Trufant is a special teams standout who is in the final year of his contract with the Jets.

“My knee feels great,” Trufant said. “I feel very fluid.”

Follow Jets beat writer Kristian Dyer on Twitter @KristianRDyer.

- See more at: http://www.metro.us/newyork/sports/nfl/2013/12/26/source-jets-had-e-j-manuel-rated-higher-than-geno-smith/#sthash.mIas9YYK.dpuf

Come on Dyer, 

EJ Manuel might not play this weekend.  = 10 games played this year

Geno Smith didn't "show up" every week, but he was involved in the game plan.  = 15.5 games played this year. 

That is pertinent information if you're going to compare two players' statistics. 

2013: Worst QB draft in the past 25 years. MIKE GLENNON is the "star" of this class. should of never even looked at a QB in that draft.

Meh.  Geno still played a big role in getting us to 5-4 and making the season fun for a bit.  Perhaps in hindsight I'd rather have Matt Simms in there, tank, and get a top 5 pick.  But I don't fault Idzik for taking a shot with Geno.  And there's a chance he's not a lost cause.

Meh.  Geno still played a big role in getting us to 5-4 and making the season fun for a bit.  Perhaps in hindsight I'd rather have Matt Simms in there, tank, and get a top 5 pick.  But I don't fault Idzik for taking a shot with Geno.  And there's a chance he's not a lost cause.

You still have hope, Good for you, because I have no hope in Geno. Maybe I'm wrong, hope so, but I said the same about Sanchez after his rookie year. We shall see.

At least two teams did.  Most of the "draft experts" had Manuel behind Smith, Barkley, Nassib and Glennon.....shows you why they don't have jobs in football.

Exactly. These are the same "experts" that have Jet fans spewing how this is the best QB class the past 25 years and we should get rid of Geno. Funny, none of these QB's make me feel like they're better than Luck, RG3, Foles or Wilson. Then again, these are the "experts" were talking about here. 

You still have hope, Good for you, because I have no hope in Geno. Maybe I'm wrong, hope so, but I said the same about Sanchez after his rookie year. We shall see.

Huh??? So you have no QB and you want to ignore the need in the draft when you have a value pick staring you in the face? Geno has not developed like we would have hoped, but it was still a good pick. Now, with his low salary as a second rounder, you pick again and at worst have a good value back up QB on your roster.

They should of passed on Geno , also.

No they shouldn't have. Taking what was the top rated QB by most people in the second was the right move even if it doesn't work out. We've taken a ******* kicker in that spot before. The problem was everything that happened after as far as putting him in day one and having David Nelson as his #1 WR.

Huh??? So you have no QB and you want to ignore the need in the draft when you have a value pick staring you in the face? Geno has not developed like we would have hoped, but it was still a good pick. Now, with his low salary as a second rounder, you pick again and at worst have a good value back up QB on your roster.

Yeah, I agree with this.  I would have been super upset if Smith had been selected at 9 or 13, but at 39 he had good value.  He didn't look like an NFL QB coming in, but had enough upside.

Looks like he is going belly up, but it was worth a shot

When you say NO QB, before Geno, you obviously mean Sanchez, Simms, Garrard etc, and I completely agree that this is basically garbage. So you wait until a later round 4-5-6 etc, and draft a project, but dont waste a high pick, on  a QB you basically dont want (they wanted Manuel, who also is terrible), in basically one of the worst QB drafts in history.

Now you have a guy who you will vascilate on, well, is he the guy?, is he not the guy? etc. and then (Hopefully not), not draft a QB from this loaded QB Class, and then try to convince yourself 4 four years, that he is the guy.

I hope they dont do this, and do everything they can (even trade up), to get a QB from this class, because as I have said in many other posts, I believe Geno is just basically a more mobile Sanchez.

No they shouldn't have. Taking what was the top rated QB by most people in the second was the right move even if it doesn't work out. We've taken a ******* kicker in that spot before. The problem was everything that happened after as far as putting him in day one and having David Nelson as his #1 WR.

OK, but I hope we are not here 4 years from now, with the same dilemma as with the bum he preceded. Hopefully, the guy that replaces REX, doesnt need 4 friggin years to evaluate a QB, and will be able to pull the trigger on Geno, once he proves he is inadequate, but if we have REX, great 4 more years of Geno putting up single digit TQBR's. woo hoo

When you say NO QB, before Geno, you obviously mean Sanchez, Simms, Garrard etc, and I completely agree that this is basically garbage. So you wait until a later round 4-5-6 etc, and draft a project, but dont waste a high pick, on  a QB you basically dont want (they wanted Manuel, who also is terrible), in basically one of the worst QB drafts in history.

Now you have a guy who you will vascilate on, well, is he the guy?, is he not the guy? etc. and then (Hopefully not), not draft a QB from this loaded QB Class, and then try to convince yourself 4 four years, that he is the guy.

I hope they dont do this, and do everything they can (even trade up), to get a QB from this class, because as I have said in many other posts, I believe Geno is just basically a more mobile Sanchez.

How do you equate Geno being number 2 on their QB draft board with not wanting him?  Why would you wait to draft the 4 or 5th guy on your QB draft board when your number 2 guy is staring at you as a value pick at a spot below where you have him rated (they had him rated as a late first rounder)? 

Plus, this is not a loaded QB class.  In fact, it is barely better than last year.  Teams will be reaching for guys this year all over the place.  Taking Geno gives the ability to evaluate the QB's based on value this year rather than having to overdraft someone who is not a stud.  Wait til we get closer to the draft, you will see that this group is nothing special.

How do you equate Geno being number 2 on their QB draft board with not wanting him?  Why would you wait to draft the 4 or 5th guy on your QB draft board when your number 2 guy is staring at you as a value pick at a spot below where you have him rated (they had him rated as a late first rounder)? 

Plus, this is not a loaded QB class.  In fact, it is barely better than last year.  Teams will be reaching for guys this year all over the place.  Taking Geno gives the ability to evaluate the QB's based on value this year rather than having to overdraft someone who is not a stud.  Wait til we get closer to the draft, you will see that this group is nothing special.

OK, we shall see how many QB's in this draft are rated 1st rounders and how many actually go in the first round.

My prediction (depending on who delcares) is 5:

Bridgewater

Bortles

Manziel

Carr

McCarron

OK, we shall see how many QB's in this draft are rated 1st rounders and how many actually go in the first round.

My prediction (depending on who delcares) is 5:

Bridgewater

Bortles

Manziel

Carr

McCarron

We will see, at this point last year Matt Barkley looked like a top 10 pick and now he is a nobody after being drafted in the 4th round.  QB is such an important position that you take one when you have the chance and then take another one and then another until you get it right.  With Geno being a second rounder, he is making peanuts compared to other QB's in the league.  It was a very good gamble that hasn't worked out.

We will see, at this point last year Matt Barkley looked like a top 10 pick and now he is a nobody after being drafted in the 4th round.  QB is such an important position that you take one when you have the chance and then take another one and then another until you get it right.  With Geno being a second rounder, he is making peanuts compared to other QB's in the league.  It was a very good gamble that hasn't worked out.

Yeah, some experst actually had another USC QB (Matt Barkley) rated in the first round, and one thing we have learned over the years is the absolute WORST QB's in the NFL that are rated "highest" coming out of college all basically come from USC.

The list of their flops is historical.

I agree, they took a shot (a bad one), with Geno, so try again this year, with much more to work with in this draft.

People love to claim that the strategy should be to take a QB high (or relatively high at least) in every draft until you get one that sticks, because this is a QB-driven league like never before.

Same people later chime in playing MMQB GM and cry how we never should have taken Geno (or then any other QB that didn't pan out now that the benefit of hindsight is there).  Same people would be screaming at the stupidity of NOT drafting Geno when he was such an obvious pick there, and wouldn't shut up about it until he fell on his face with someone else.

Geno seemed to be a GREAT value pick at the time.  It would have been bad value if we took him at #9 or #13 (which would have surprised no one on draft day, mind you).  I hope he works out, but if he doesn't we try again.  

People love to claim that the strategy should be to take a QB high (or relatively high at least) in every draft until you get one that sticks, because this is a QB-driven league like never before.

Same people later chime in playing MMQB GM and cry how we never should have taken Geno (or then any other QB that didn't pan out now that the benefit of hindsight is there).  Same people would be screaming at the stupidity of NOT drafting Geno when he was such an obvious pick there, and wouldn't shut up about it until he fell on his face with someone else.

Geno seemed to be a GREAT value pick at the time.  It would have been bad value if we took him at #9 or #13 (which would have surprised no one on draft day, mind you).  I hope he works out, but if he doesn't we try again.  

Agree with your point.  Geno at 39 a good value selection.  Outcome should not dictate strategy.  Internally the Jets should know how the scouts projected the QB position for the past decade or so that Bradway and crew have been doing the scouting.  That is the bigger problem IMO.  Wish I knew what Idzik knows on how the internal board rack and stacked the QBs over the years.

Archived