Jets players select most memorable game.. what's yours?

F.Chowds

Taking a break from serious football topics, we decided to lighten the mood by asking several players on the New York Jets to name the most memorable game of their career -- high school, college or pro. Here's what we found: 

Breno Giacomini (formerly of the Seattle Seahawks): "It has to be the Super Bowl. There was a huge hype about the game, with Peyton Manningbeing so good and the respect we had for Denver itself. We had two weeks to prepare for them, and the battle we had to go through to get to them, San Francisco, was tough. Plus, it was the first (championship) for the city of Seattle. There's a lot to it, but overall, Peyton Manning being so good, facing our defense. It was awesome." 

Sheldon Richardson: "When we beat the Patriots last year. I didn't do anything major, it was just the fact that we won and beat the Patriots at home. It was a close game, a tough fight for everybody on both sides of the ball. It was just a fun game. Right now, that's my most memorable." 

:D'Brickashaw Ferguson"It's a tie between college (Virginia) and the NFL -- my first game in each. It was Colorado State and the Tennessee Titans. I don't remember the outcome -- I think we won -- but it was my first NFL start. In college, it was my first time playing Division I football. Those are proud milestones, having an opportunity to compete at those levels. In fact, I think we lost the Colorado State game." 

Dimitri Patterson: "It's when I started my first game on 'Monday Night Football,' when I was on Philadelphia (in 2010). That stands out the most out of all the games because Washington was the first team I was with coming out of college. They cut me. I was able to start against them and had two interceptions, one for a touchdown. I played well. That was really the year when I showed people I could actually play in this league at corner, so that games stands out the most to me, just because of the history I had with Washington and being able to start my first 'Monday Night Football' game and play well on a national stage."

Jeremy Kerley, a former high-school quarterback: "State championship my senior year in high school (Hutto, Texas). We played Tatum High School. It was the first time my school went to State -- ever -- so it was a pretty big deal. We traveled pretty good, we had everybody there. ... We were winning most of the game, but with 17-something seconds left -- I think we were down, 38-34 -- I had the ball on the 20-something yard line. We had the ball. Sack, lost the game.

Taking a break from serious football topics, we decided to lighten the mood by asking several players on the New York Jets to name the most memorable game of their career -- high school, college or pro. Here's what we found: 

Breno Giacomini (formerly of the Seattle Seahawks): "It has to be the Super Bowl. There was a huge hype about the game, with Peyton Manningbeing so good and the respect we had for Denver itself. We had two weeks to prepare for them, and the battle we had to go through to get to them, San Francisco, was tough. Plus, it was the first (championship) for the city of Seattle. There's a lot to it, but overall, Peyton Manning being so good, facing our defense. It was awesome." 

Sheldon Richardson: "When we beat the Patriots last year. I didn't do anything major, it was just the fact that we won and beat the Patriots at home. It was a close game, a tough fight for everybody on both sides of the ball. It was just a fun game. Right now, that's my most memorable." 

:"It's a tie between college (Virginia) and the NFL -- my first game in each. It was Colorado State and the Tennessee Titans. I don't remember the outcome -- I think we won -- but it was my first NFL start. In college, it was my first time playing Division I football. Those are proud milestones, having an opportunity to compete at those levels. In fact, I think we lost the Colorado State game." 

Dimitri Patterson: "It's when I started my first game on 'Monday Night Football,' when I was on Philadelphia (in 2010). That stands out the most out of all the games because Washington was the first team I was with coming out of college. They cut me. I was able to start against them and had two interceptions, one for a touchdown. I played well. That was really the year when I showed people I could actually play in this league at corner, so that games stands out the most to me, just because of the history I had with Washington and being able to start my first 'Monday Night Football' game and play well on a national stage."

Jeremy Kerley, a former high-school quarterback: "State championship my senior year in high school (Hutto, Texas). We played Tatum High School. It was the first time my school went to State -- ever -- so it was a pretty big deal. We traveled pretty good, we had everybody there. ... We were winning most of the game, but with 17-something seconds left -- I think we were down, 38-34 -- I had the ball on the 20-something yard line. We had the ball. Sack, lost the game.

Surprised to hear Kerley say his most memorable game was in HS.  Loved Richardson's answer.

Mne would be the MNM too...amazing game.

vinny achilles burned into my memory like the fire of a thousand suns

lmao. That will probably be the first and last time I ever see the Jets being Super Bowl favorites heading into a season. 

My 3 most memorable games were 

#1. Monday Night Miracle. Hands down. The best MNF game ever, not just because the Jets were involved. 

#2. Jets beat Colts 41-0 Playoffs

#3. Jets beat Pats 28-21 in playoffs on the road with the Patriots being undefeated that year at home. 

Jets beat Dolphins last minute Td Tood to Barkum at shea for 1st place

Jets beat Jags at home divisional playoff game

Jets beat Giants last minute TD to Toon knock jints out of playoffs

MNM

lmao. That will probably be the first and last time I ever see the Jets being Super Bowl favorites heading into a season. 

#1. Monday Night Miracle. Hands down. The best MNF game ever, not just because the Jets were involved. 

#3. Jets beat Pats 28-21 in playoffs on the road with the Patriots being undefeated that year at home. 

great list of games, i remember them all well. for me the vinny T achilles game marked my transition from youthful naive jets fan always thinking we have a chance, to the cool, calm, objective and rational fan that you all know and love today.

My father is fond of saying that he hopes that when he dies that I have the same look on my face as I did when Vinny went down week 1. 

tell him only if rick mirer and tom tupa are your backup dads

great list of games, i remember them all well. for me the vinny T achilles game marked my transition from youthful naive jets fan always thinking we have a chance, to the cool, calm, objective and rational fan that you all know and love today.

HAHA! :rl:

2004 Divisional Round against the Steelers.  The defense and specials played their hearts out, only to have to watch Chad stink it up. 3 lousy points from that sissy-armed pile of dogsh!t.  Then he takes a knee on third down, and rely on his kicker to try and bail his sorry ass out from 40+ out in the worst stadium to kick field goals in......TWICE.  

Never felt so sick after a game in my life, and that includes Vinny's achilles injury in the '99 opener.

God damn Chad and Herm for that game.  I'll go to my grave hating their guts for that.

I haven't made it that far. Come August I'm preaching Super Bowl, by November the only thing going well is thanksgiving dinner. 

Agreed 100% with ur 3 choices, although I'd switch #2 with #3.

My most memorable game wasn't any time from the far past but from the near present.... Taken down the Brady special during the 2010 payoffs at their home turf!!! I don’t care what you all say this to show the ones in their own castle is more retribution than most can get! I loved EVERY minute of it! 

::GoJets:  ::GoJets:  ::GoJets:  Own & to start a new convo.. who here thinks the Jets are going to make the 2014 Playoffs?

2004 Divisional Round against the Steelers.  The defense and specials played their hearts out, only to have to watch Chad stink it up. 3 lousy points from that sissy-armed pile of dogsh!t.  Then he takes a knee on third down, and rely on his kicker to try and bail his sorry ass out from 40+ out in the worst stadium to kick field goals in......TWICE.  

Never felt so sick after a game in my life, and that includes Vinny's achilles injury in the '99 opener.

God damn Chad and Herm for that game.  I'll go to my grave hating their guts for that.

Chad did us Jets fans a favor on tha day in retrospect, that NE Patriots team we would have faced would have demolished the Jets the following week, probably tacking on 21 late points to an already large lead late with 3 pick 6's of Chad, his shoulder was probably at its weakest at that point in that season then it ever was during his playind days.

Chad did us Jets fans a favor on tha day in retrospect, that NE Patriots team we would have faced would have demolished the Jets the following week, probably tacking on 21 late points to an already large lead late with 3 pick 6's of Chad, his shoulder was probably at its weakest at that point in that season then it ever was during his playind days.

If his arm was in that bad of shape, then he should have taken himself out of the game.  We were a one dimensional team, going against the Steeler defense.  Our defense and specials put up points to help that Marshall sh*t-stain out, and he couldn't do better than THREE F*CKING POINTS.

Then he and Herm pinned the blame on Doug Brien, prompting Terry Bradway to draft a kicker in the second round.  One of the dumbest draft decisions for an organization whose history is littered with them.  

Doesn't matter what was coming the following week.  They weren't supposed to beat the Steelers, yet there they were on the cusp of doing it.  Any given Sunday.

Screw Chad Pennington.  I hate that roadkill-haired f*ck.

If his arm was in that bad of shape, then he should have taken himself out of the game.  We were a one dimensional team, going against the Steeler defense.  Our defense and specials put up points to help that Marshall sh*t-stain out, and he couldn't do better than THREE F*CKING POINTS.

Then he and Herm pinned the blame on Doug Brien, prompting Terry Bradway to draft a kicker in the second round.  One of the dumbest draft decisions for an organization whose history is littered with them.  

Doesn't matter what was coming the following week.  They weren't supposed to beat the Steelers, yet there they were on the cusp of doing it.  Any given Sunday.

Screw Chad Pennington.  I hate that roadkill-haired f*ck.

That was only the 2nd worst draft pick decision of that season, trading a 1st round pick for Doug Jolley, when they could have just drafte Heath Miller with that pick if they really wanted a TE that bad, it's close, but I think the Jolley trade was worse.

That was only the 2nd worst draft pick decision of that season, trading a 1st round pick for Doug Jolley, when they could have just drafte Heath Miller with that pick if they really wanted a TE that bad, it's close, but I think the Jolley trade was worse.

Nugent was the first round pick (along with Jolley).  It was our pick (late rd 1) for Jolley and trading down to early-mid round 2.  Along with a pair of 6th rounders I think, where we used one of them on a RB who quit and joined the military.

So in hindsight, since Jolley was valued at a 3rd rounder by the numbers in that trade (if memory serves), in a sense it's more accurate to say we used a 1st rounder on Nugent than on Jolley.  But since 6th round picks have so little value relative to a 1st round pick (more of a rounding error to even out the trade according to chart points), ultimately we used our first round pick on Mike Nugent and Doug Jolley.  

On paper we more or less traded that #26 overall for a 2nd and a 3rd rounder.  Then drafted Nugent with the 2nd rounder and traded the 3rd rounder back to Oakland for Jolley.

:bag:

As bad as that trade was, it's even worse knowing that Seattle was very willing to trade down from #23 to #26 for a 4th rounder, which they did with Oakland after our trade (we may have had to also throw in a 6th). Aaron Rodgers went #24 to Green Bay. But hey, we didn't need Aaron Rodgers, since we had Chad Pennington with a torn up shoulder locked into the 2nd most lucrative contract in NFL history after Peyton Manning: $63M with $23M guaranteed or something like that.  That's still a big contract 10 years later, even though the salary cap is now $53M higher - an increase of 65% - and it's still double the guaranteed $ that Kaepernick just got this spring.  We brought in or re-signed a lot of veteran players for our skill positions on offense for many years and it influenced who we drafted in round 1 in particular.  

Why no Roddy White or Vincent Jackson? We had veteran WRs brought in or re-signed for big or pretty big costs (Coles, McCareins, Cotchery, Edwards, Holmes).  The acquisition or re-upping of these players, for a team drafting for need in round 1, meant looking to other positions in round 1 for many, many years.  We can bemoan picks like Coples in round 1, but the fact is there was only 1 WR even considered by any NFL team that early (Kendall Wright).  It's easy (and justifiable) to knock the Kyle Wilson pick in 2010, but at the time Revis was holding out (for $32M over 2 years plus an alleged handshake deal to then redo his contract again) and the next 3 offensive skill positions off the board - in fact, the next 4 offensive players outright, over the dozen picks following us - haven't been much better.  Gronkowski obviously has been great, but the same GM just used a 1st rounder on a TE 2 years earlier; drafting another would admit his own failure (plus Keller was only 25 and wasn't exactly unproductive his first 2 seasons). Not taking Gronk there is the epitome of a cherry-pick criticism in hindsight. Next WR after that was pick #60 (G.Tate).  In other words, the only real options on offense, when we picked Kyle Wilson, was at a position we'd just used a 1st rounder on 2 years earlier or taking a G that lasted to pick #45.  Starting with our pick at #29, that draft really only had 1 offensive skill position worth taking (at #29) in the next 30 selections, and it was the one skill position where we already had a entrenched starter with 3 years remaining on his 1st round pick, rookie contract. Ben Tate went #58, but Tannenbaum just used 3 draft picks to move up to #63 to take Greene the prior season so that wasn't happening (let alone in round 1).  In hindsight the next-best realistic pick would have merely been a different DB.

OK sorry for hijacking.

vinny achilles burned into my memory like the fire of a thousand suns

right up there with the preseason game that knocked Pennington and Fiedler out.  Oh joy, here comes Brooks Bollinger.

But for a good memory - the Monday Night Miracle was great!

right up there with the preseason game that knocked Pennington and Fiedler out.  Oh joy, here comes Brooks Bollinger.

But for a good memory - the Monday Night Miracle was great!

now that's one i had forgotten! thanks for bring it up buddy

Namath hitting Eddie Bell, little number 7, for a game winning td which richochet off a defender. It was a meaningless game, but it's embedded in my memory, hearing Marty Glickman make the call on the radio, and then seeing it on Sports Extra later that night.

Archived