Wide Receivers (Draft)

Jetsmanjb

Which one of these receivers are you hoping we might draft, doesn't necessarily mean we use the #6 pick on them: 

Amari Cooper, Alabama 6'1 210 lb

Devin Smith, Ohio State, 6'1 197 lb

Doral Green-Beckham, Mizzou, 6'6 225 lb

Devin Funchess, Michigan, 6'5 235 lb

Tyler Lockett, Kansas State, 5'10 181 lb 

Kevin White, West Virginia, 6'3 210 lb 

Ty Montgomery, Stanford, 6'2 216 lb

Rashad Greene, 6'0 174 lb

Funchess reminds me of Braylon Edwards and I know Sheldon would most definitely be hyped if we could get our hands on Green-Beckham

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2nd round-Devin Smith. Reminds me of Desean Jackson. He's also considered the best gunner by far in the draft. Speed on top of speed, hard to overthrow him. Big play ability. Can line up at any WR position, however not much of a redzone target in college. Smith was underutilized at Ohio.

Took the words out of my mouth. kid is a beast. This draft luckily for us, has great depth at wide out.

2nd round-Devin Smith. Reminds me of Desean Jackson. He's also considered the best gunner by far in the draft. Speed on top of speed, hard to overthrow him. Big play ability. Can line up at any WR position, however not much of a redzone target in college. Smith was underutilized at Ohio.

Gotta be careful with college receivers who can only run the 9 route. Can he handle contact? Can he get open underneath on a 3rd and 7? You could end up Stephen Hill'ing yourself.

To answer the question: Amari Cooper. If he's gone, take Fowler. If both QBs drop, pray some moron GM wants to come up to get one of them.

White sounds fun, though. Might be a bit of a project as a route-runner from what I've read. Fwiw. FWIW. My strong preference is that Maccagnan focuses on bringing in guys who score TDs and lets Bowles work with what he has on the defense already.

DGB got arrested for weed and robbery? EDIT: forced his way into an apartment and knocked a woman down "several stairs." But, If Dez can go 18th, so can DGB.

Took the words out of my mouth. kid is a beast. This draft luckily for us, has great depth at wide out.

He's a beast for sure, and he's in my top 3 for must have rookies this year.  

#1. Devin Smith WR- Ohio St. (2nd round)

#2. Steven Nelson CB-Oregon (3rd-4th round)

#3. Hau'oli Kikaha OLB- Washington (Jets should trade down to the middle to the tail end of 1st round and get this guy).

Devin Smith can walk on and play in the Jets offense right now and be productive and can be an immediate replacement for Percy Harvin. The only concern that I have is that if we play more of a spread offense this year Smith is going to really do something about his blocking skills. Dude is terrible in that department imo. Everything else he does is great, and the only reason why he isnt projected a 1st round type player is because of Ohio St. underutilization and the depth as you mentioned with Cooper, White, Parker. Though I could see a team like the Patriots picking him up with the 32nd pick in the 1st round. Danny Amendola could be out in New England and Julian Edlemen could easily be put in the slot position making room for Smith on the outside to stretch the defense making room underneath for a guy like an Edleman. 

This draft is going to be epic. Its considered an overall "average" draft only because of the QB position. This draft looks to have a solid cast of WR's and some of the best pass rushers to come out at one time. 

Gotta be careful with college receivers who can only run the 9 route. Can he handle contact? Can he get open underneath on a 3rd and 7? You could end up Stephen Hill'ing yourself.

To answer the question: Amari Cooper. If he's gone, take Fowler. If both QBs drop, pray some moron GM wants to come up to get one of them.

White sounds fun, though. Might be a bit of a project as a route-runner from what I've read. Fwiw. FWIW. My strong preference is that Maccagnan focuses on bringing in guys who score TDs and lets Bowles work with what he has on the defense already.

DGB got arrested for weed and robbery? EDIT: forced his way into an apartment and knocked a woman down "several stairs." But, If Dez can go 18th, so can DGB.

I wouldn't insinuate that Smith can only run the fly route. He was best known for the route given that was how Ohio utilized him, and with that he made catches consistently...which is something that Stephen Hill cant say because though he had the speed, he dropped half his passes at Georgia Tech.  Smith can be a total bust, but one thing I know for sure, he's in no way a Stephen Hill.  Stephen Hill should have been a 4th or 5th round pick, but unfortunately the Jets thought that they were the smartest men in the war room. Devin Smith's projection as a 2nd round talent imo is legitimate. Stephen Hill being drafted in the 2nd round over guys like Alshon Jeffery and TY Hilton was simply a travesty at start and a tragedy at end for the Jets. Mistakes like that can unfairly keep the Jets away from a guy like Devin Smith. 

I wouldn't insinuate that Smith can only run the fly route. He was best known for the route given that was how Ohio utilized him, and with that he made catches consistently...which is something that Stephen Hill cant say because though he had the speed, he dropped half his passes at Georgia Tech. Smith can be a total bust, but one thing I know for sure, he's in no way a Stephen Hill. Stephen Hill should have been a 4th or 5th round pick, but unfortunately the Jets thought that they were the smartest men in the war room. Devin Smith's projection as a 2nd round talent imo is legitimate. Stephen Hill being drafted in the 2nd round over guys like Alshon Jeffery and TY Hilton was simply a travesty at start and a tragedy at end for the Jets. Mistakes like that can unfairly keep the Jets away from a guy like Devin Smith.

I wasn't trying to compare Hill and Smith directly. I was saying that you have to be careful drafting a receiver based on their long speed only, which is what we'd be doing with Smith. As you know, there's so much more involved in getting open than simply outrunning your man.

Reminds me more of Ted Ginn

Reminds me more of Ted Ginn

I never seen Ginn in college and he's an obvious bust in the pros. So what I did was I looked at their college stats given that we can compare that. They dont have any correlation in their game from a statistical standpoint. 

Smith averaged 22 yards per catch with 121 total catches and 30 TD's in his 4 year college career. (Projected to be a 2nd round WR)

Ginn averaged 14.5 yards per catch with 110 total catches and 13 TD's in his 3 year college career. (Taken 9th in the 2007th draft by the Dolphins. And given his stats it was purely because of his speed obviously because his numbers aren't top 10 worthy in my eyes)

Comparing him to such a bust is kinda overkill dont you think? Smith averaged almost 10 more yards than Ginn per catch and more than doubled his TD amount and yet he's not even considered top 10 worthy on anyones big board or draft mock because quite frankly...he's not top 10 talent. 

Ted Ginn Jr??? Thats kinda harsh dude. 

Jaelen Strong*, WR, Arizona State another good one

Strong had 82 receptions for 1,165 yards and 10 touchdowns. He is a big, physical receiver who has some quickness. Strong doesn't have elite speed, but he is fast enough to get separation. Strong is an excellent weapon in the red zone. If he were faster, he could go higher.

Why do you like Cooper and Fowler?

Dez didn't go 18th, and also wasn't actually accused of anything serious. Green-Beckham got accused of domestic violence shortly after domestic violence scandals were arguably the biggest point of conversation in the league for almost an entire season. And frankly, while DGB is a better phsyical specimen, Dez was a substantially better college player.

Dez didn't go 18th, and also wasn't actually accused of anything serious. Green-Beckham got accused of domestic violence shortly after domestic violence scandals were arguably the biggest point of conversation in the league for almost an entire season. And frankly, while DGB is a better phsyical specimen, Dez was a substantially better college player.

Charges where dropped. I read it was really dark and she suffered from vertigo 

24th. My bad. The Dez-DGB comparison there was because both were/are considered frightening behavioral cases when they were/are drafted. DGB, of course, has the added and ugly domestic violence tag. That said, I just watched video of him running a 4.51 at one of those Combine-prep academies, and I think he'll interview well enough to get himself drafted in the first round. Our pals, The Anonymous Scouts, have been comparing him to Calvin Johnson, fwiw. I don't think I'd have the guts to pick him, but I could see the Ravens taking the chance and looking like geniuses 5 years from now.

Regarding Cooper, I just think he's a safe pick who already plays like a pro. Very quick in and out of his breaks, sets up DBs well, seems to understand the nuances of getting open. Sure, he might run a 4.5/40, but I don't think he'll embarrass the organization that picks him. Reminds me a lot of Victor Cruz and Chris Chambers.

As for Fowler, I think he'll show well with the SackSEER numbers and legitimately seems to enjoy contact. If the Jets (at 6) aren't going to go with a skill position player, then I'd prefer they got the OLB, and based simply on the thought that Fowler is bigger and more complete than Gregory and (allegedly, because I haven't seen him play) Ray, I think he'll be a safe pick, if maybe not the most dynamic.

Kinda like what I was inferring with Mariota earlier, I think Maccagnan has to go out and hit a bunch of line drives this draft and not swing for the fences, if only to get the new regime off on the right foot. While it'd be ballsier to gamble on Mariota transitioning quickly, or for Kevin White to dominate right away, or for Shane Ray to be a 12+ sack guy, I'd draft guys who are closer to known quantities (as much as any draftee is a known quantity). Cooper and Fowler, imo, are fine out of the box.

24th. My bad. The Dez-DGB comparison there was because both were/are considered frightening behavioral cases when they were/are drafted. DGB, of course, has the added and ugly domestic violence tag. That said, I just watched video of him running a 4.51 at one of those Combine-prep academies, and I think he'll interview well enough to get himself drafted in the first round. Our pals, The Anonymous Scouts, have been comparing him to Calvin Johnson, fwiw. I don't think I'd have the guts to pick him, but I could see the Ravens taking the chance and looking like geniuses 5 years from now.

Regarding Cooper, I just think he's a safe pick who already plays like a pro. Very quick in and out of his breaks, sets up DBs well, seems to understand the nuances of getting open. Sure, he might run a 4.5/40, but I don't think he'll embarrass the organization that picks him. Reminds me a lot of Victor Cruz and Chris Chambers.

As for Fowler, I think he'll show well with the SackSEER numbers and legitimately seems to enjoy contact. If the Jets (at 6) aren't going to go with a skill position player, then I'd prefer they got the OLB, and based simply on the thought that Fowler is bigger and more complete than Gregory and (allegedly, because I haven't seen him play) Ray, I think he'll be a safe pick, if maybe not the most dynamic.

Kinda like what I was inferring with Mariota earlier, I think Maccagnan has to go out and hit a bunch of line drives this draft and not swing for the fences, if only to get the new regime off on the right foot. While it'd be ballsier to gamble on Mariota transitioning quickly, or for Kevin White to dominate right away, or for Shane Ray to be a 12+ sack guy, I'd draft guys who are closer to known quantities (as much as any draftee is a known quantity). Cooper and Fowler, imo, are fine out of the box.

Dez wasn't really a frightening behavioral case. He got suspended for hanging out with Sanders when he wasn't supposed to. Just immature overall, but no real serious off field stuff coming out of college. Fell mostly because he hadn't played in a year. I agree it's very possible that DGB goes in the first, but his range is much wider. Substantially more serious off the field issues, more rough around the edges as a prospect. Better physical profile in terms of height and speed maybe, but Bryant was pretty much a prototype WR prospect himself. My favorite coming out since Megatron.

I think that's a semi-fair assessment in terms of what Maccagnan has to do. On the flip side, in the draft there's a risk of guys "busting" when they end up being more or less what you thought if you go in trying to hit line drives early. Particularly with top ten picks, and at those positions like WR and OLB where physical profile and production tend to be pretty important in projecting someone to the next level. Hitting singles at tackle or a position like that is a little easier early in the draft. Cooper I think you're betting on the work ethic and Fowler you're betting on that versatility turning into production, but I don't know. Those high floor low ceiling top 10 picks tend to suck more often than you'd expect - tackles aside. It's going to be an interesting few months, that's for sure.

My other concern, moreso with Cooper than Fowler, is the players who will surround him. The Jets don't have a gamebreaking WR or TE to take pressure off of Cooper in the passing game, a stud back who will require defenses to stack boxes, or a quality QB who can put the ball on the money. I think it's easier for a guy with special athletic traits to transcend a crappy surrounding offense than it is a guy who's solid because he's technically sound.

Archived