Jet News: Coples 5th yr. picked up & Petty visits.

32EBoozer

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/jets-pick-option-quinton-coples-article-1.2181324

The Jets haven’t given up on Quinton Coples yet.

The Daily News has learned that the team will exercise the fifth-year option on Coples’ rookie contract by the May 3 deadline before determining whether to make a true long-term commitment to the former first-round pick.

Per terms of the NFL’s collective bargaining agreement, Coples’ fifth-year option will be worth $7.8 million — the average salaries of the 25 highest-paid players at his position, not including the two highest-paid players.

Coples’ uneven first three seasons fueled speculation that the Jets would simply allow him to play out this season and become an unrestricted free agent in 2016, but picking up the option is a smart, low-risk move for the team.

The option is guaranteed only for injury, so the Jets could cut Coples at the outset of the 2016 league year (next March) without any future financial ramifications unless the outside linebacker suffered an injury in 2015 that sidelined him for the entire 2016 season.

The Jets could choose to negotiate with Coples on a long-term extension after this season — without competing offers — if he thrives in head coach Todd Bowles’ defense. If Coples, who has only 16½ career sacks, disappoints, general manager Mike Maccagnan could release him before his fifth-year salary becomes guaranteed next March. “You see potential,” Bowles said at the league meetings last month. “He’s a lot like Geno (Smith). . . . You see him make plays and then you see him do other things at times. He can make strides this year and become a better player.”

Coples, 24, has had challenges in his transition from defensive lineman as a rookie to outside linebacker the past two seasons. Although he had a career-high 6½ sacks last season, he struggled with responsibilities such as dropping into coverage and disappearing for long stretches. He thrived in college as a hand-in the-dirt pass rusher, but it’s unclear how Bowles will use him.

JETTING IN: Baylor QB Bryce Petty will be making a pre-draft visit to the Jets’ facility early next week, according to a source.

Absolutely 100% agree! If I were an OLmen, I'd be pulling on that thing all game.... 2nd thought, maybe I wouldn't. Thing is leper like!

It might be the most horrible thing I've ever looked at.

Cant figure out any situation that thing is horrible.

Looks like they played the ultimate prank on Coples and put the females reproductive system on his shoulder. Maybe they were trying to say something lol. 

437686.JPG

ant-001.png

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/jets-pick-option-quinton-coples-article-1.2181324

The Jets haven’t given up on Quinton Coples yet.

The Daily News has learned that the team will exercise the fifth-year option on Coples’ rookie contract by the May 3 deadline before determining whether to make a true long-term commitment to the former first-round pick.

Per terms of the NFL’s collective bargaining agreement, Coples’ fifth-year option will be worth $7.8 million — the average salaries of the 25 highest-paid players at his position, not including the two highest-paid players.

Coples’ uneven first three seasons fueled speculation that the Jets would simply allow him to play out this season and become an unrestricted free agent in 2016, but picking up the option is a smart, low-risk move for the team.

The option is guaranteed only for injury, so the Jets could cut Coples at the outset of the 2016 league year (next March) without any future financial ramifications unless the outside linebacker suffered an injury in 2015 that sidelined him for the entire 2016 season.

The Jets could choose to negotiate with Coples on a long-term extension after this season — without competing offers — if he thrives in head coach Todd Bowles’ defense. If Coples, who has only 16½ career sacks, disappoints, general manager Mike Maccagnan could release him before his fifth-year salary becomes guaranteed next March. “You see potential,” Bowles said at the league meetings last month. “He’s a lot like Geno (Smith). . . . You see him make plays and then you see him do other things at times. He can make strides this year and become a better player.”

Coples, 24, has had challenges in his transition from defensive lineman as a rookie to outside linebacker the past two seasons. Although he had a career-high 6½ sacks last season, he struggled with responsibilities such as dropping into coverage and disappearing for long stretches. He thrived in college as a hand-in the-dirt pass rusher, but it’s unclear how Bowles will use him.

JETTING IN: Baylor QB Bryce Petty will be making a pre-draft visit to the Jets’ facility early next week, according to a source.

I really wouldnt be surprised if Mo Wilkerson is trade bait during the draft. 

if they put him back on the line he will have a good year he is too big and slow to be a OLB love the way he hits

Yeah I'm kind of undecided about playing him at OLBer, but there were more than a few times when he was quick around the tackle and clothes lined the running back the minute he got the ball.....the Raiders game he did it to MJD is one I recall off the top of my head. Badass hit!

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

If this guy finds success, look out! Just might be best D-line we ever had. Big if, but that's what off season speculation is about... BIG IFs!!!

I agree, Coples is a beast. And I can't wait for IK Enemkpali to really come into his own. I think that he could actually become the OLB we've been searching for. Coples is more of a lineman. I think IK could play on the line and standing up to rush the passer. Our defensive line has some incredible talent. We just have to find a way to spread the wealth to other positions. 

I'm happy they're showing interest in Petty. He's tailor-made for Gailey's system.

Definitely. The only issue I really have with Petty is the system he comes from doesn't really allow him to read 2nd and 3rd options. We had an issue with that with Sanchez.

Looks like they played the ultimate prank on Coples and put the females reproductive system on his shoulder. Maybe they were trying to say something lol. 

437686.JPG

ant-001.png

NAILED IT!!!! Too freaking funny!

Is the External OS or the Introitus the "G-Spot"?

I'm glad the Jets didn't draft DeCastro now (although I liked him during the draft) as his option or any other Gs will be $8 mil. That's Iupati money right there. Cooper and Warmach option will be even higher being selected in the top 10.

Cooper only started 2 games last year. Looking like a bust.

http://www.revengeofthebirds.com/2014/11/13/7213561/jonathan-cooper-not-playing-because-hes-not-one-of-the-best-players

here was mariucci's take on petty in a nutshell " when his first read isn't wide open, he just won't throw it"

ouch

Well, still better then if the first read isn't open, throw it to the other team, which is what we have now.  Not really excited about any of the QB's in this draft outside Winston, and Mariota

GO RANGERS 

Well, still better then if the first read isn't open, throw it to the other team, which is what we have now.  Not really excited abort any of the QB's in this draft outside Winston, and Mariota

GO RANGERS 

his take on the UCLA kid was a wee bit better, "when his first read isn't wide open, he pulls it down and runs with it"  lol

Archived