Don't get this Leonard Williams pick at all

Sully28

Just dumb. What is Williams' ceiling? Let's be kind and say slightly better than Wilkerson. Now a lot of people say trade Wilkerson for a 1st. Okay, let's say that can be done, we trade in and get who? Someone who was available at 6, and options are more limited than what they would be if we picked at 6 since players are coming off the board. 

Different Scenario you keep Williams and Wilkerson. You run a 4-3 now? What do you do with Harrison? How much better is this line than our 3-4 line? Still yet to be seen if that would work out with Coples, Wilkerson, Richardson, and Williams, who are all basically (3-4 ends and 4-3 tackles). Plus two years down the road let's say you re-sign Wilkerson. You then have to pay Richardson, and then you have to Williams. Everyone's cool with spending a third of our cap on the DLine when our offense is trash?

Only way this trade makes sense, is if you swing Wilkerson and some pick for Rivers. If that happens, I'll shut up and celebrate. But, I'll believe that when I see it.

You obviously can't blindly pick by need in the draft, but this notion that you have to take the best player available no matter what isn't right either, as proven by this pick.

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Simple question, what did you think when Idzik drafted Richardson in 2013???  Well Williams

was a more highly rated prospect than Richardson was.  Williams and maybe Cooper were the

safest picks in this draft, you basically can "plug and play" both of them.  He's a beast and he's

not 21 yet, his maturity and knowledge of the nuances of DLine play is far above his age

Just dumb. What is Williams' ceiling? Let's be kind and say slightly better than Wilkerson. Now a lot of people say trade Wilkerson for a 1st. Okay, let's say that can be done, we trade in and get who? Someone who was available at 6, and options are more limited than what they would be if we picked at 6 since players are coming off the board. 

Different Scenario you keep Williams and Wilkerson. You run a 4-3 now? What do you do with Harrison? How much better is this line than our 3-4 line? Still yet to be seen if that would work out with Coples, Wilkerson, Richardson, and Williams, who are all basically (3-4 ends and 4-3 tackles). Plus two years down the road let's say you re-sign Wilkerson. You then have to pay Richardson, and then you have to Williams. Everyone's cool with spending a third of our cap on the DLine when our offense is trash?

Only way this trade makes sense, is if you swing Wilkerson and some pick for Rivers. If that happens, I'll shut up and celebrate. But, I'll believe that when I see it.

You obviously can't blindly pick by need in the draft, but this notion that you have to take the best player available no matter what isn't right either, as proven by this pick.

Not much to understand, he was the best player on the board.

Hopefully  sully  is drunk or on some heavy meds. Why would you draft JJ Watt if you already Wilkerson, right? Lets pass on the best player in the draft so we can fill a need at WR (despite having MArshall and Decker) or reach for an edge pass rusher that has drug issues or is suspect against the run. 

I don't have exact statistics, but in looking over past drafts it seems that more than half of the top-10 draft picks outright bust. We got the player in the draft that has the least chance of busting, along with the potential to be GREAT. We made the best pick we possibly could. Easy, no-brainer pick. Now, for the rest of the draft, we can watch Maccagnan's scouting skills in action - those are the picks that will elevate our team.

Hopefully  sully  is drunk or on some heavy meds. Why would you draft JJ Watt if you already Wilkerson, right? Lets pass on the best player in the draft so we can fill a need at WR (despite having MArshall and Decker) or reach for an edge pass rusher that has drug issues or is suspect against the run. 

Problem is Williams isn't Watt, he's at best Wilkerson and you're talking about getting rid of Wilkerson with this pick so lateral move.

You my friend is clueless when it comes to football. When Seattle won their Super Bowl it was all about defense.  

Our defense doesn't get better when you get rid of Mo, I'll say again Lateral. Move.

Problem is Williams isn't Watt, he's at best Wilkerson and you're talking about getting rid of Wilkerson with this pick so lateral move.

Where were you when Watt was drafted 11th overall?  Where you proclaiming him the next defensive MVP? Williams is FAR more talented than WIlkerson and I LOVE wilkerson. 

It's actually a fair point if trading MO. Trading Mo is more then likely going to be a wash or worse.. and say we get a mid first rounder back for him, which nets us a 2nd tier receiver or pass rusher. the Jets are likely better with Kevin White and Mo then WIlliams and someone like Strong. We do however save cap money sooner though, but meh

The only way this makes sense is playing em both and creating havoc

Keep Mo and the 2015 Jets have one of the best defensive lines in the history of the game - Enjoy the show!

If Mo signs long term, game on, if not, Jets have ammo to trade up for a QB next year,  best player in the draft and next best thing to getting an extra first next year, this was a smart move for the long term success of the Jets

Does anyone remember Mo's rookie year?  He was solid, but not the elite player he became towards the end of his 2nd season.

Leonard Williams is going to be a GREAT player in this league.  But he's still a little raw and will have the luxury of being in a supporting role in year 1, being a guy who start on 4DL packages and will spell Mo and Sheldon  when they need a breather in the 3 DL packages.  He'll learn all the little things that Mo learned that made him great.

This likely means Coples plays standing up as an OLB on 1st/2nd down more often than not.  Of course, the roster is begging Bowles to play 4-3 if Coples continues to underwhelm.

On 3rd down passing situation, I don't know what Bowles does because he has an embarrassment of riches.  He can send 5 pass rushers in Mo, Sheldon, Coples, Williams, and Babin/Pace/IK.  Harris or Davis at linebacker.  In the secondary, Revis,Cro, and Skrine in man coverage, Gilcrist over the top, and Pryor roaming over the middle to lay the hits.  That's pretty nasty.  Antonio Allen and Dee Milliner are also options depending on matchups.

Todd Bowles really has no excuses, he needs to field a top 5 defense, really top 3.

Jets have a ton of leverage in the Wilkerson negotiations now and can slap the franchise tag if they want.  They can also let him walk, have his replacement already waiting, and have the free cash to participate in the Philip Rivers or Drew Brees sweepstakes next offseason.

I don't have exact statistics, but in looking over past drafts it seems that more than half of the top-10 draft picks outright bust. We got the player in the draft that has the least chance of busting, along with the potential to be GREAT. We made the best pick we possibly could. Easy, no-brainer pick. Now, for the rest of the draft, we can watch Maccagnan's scouting skills in action - those are the picks that will elevate our team.

Agree with this post 100%

I honestly didn't see a scenario that Williams would fall to the Jets.  Didn't consider him.

IMO this is the best player in this draft.  

Does anyone remember Mo's rookie year?  He was solid, but not the elite player he became towards the end of his 2nd season.

Leonard Williams is going to be a GREAT player in this league.  But he's still a little raw and will have the luxury of being in a supporting role in year 1, being a guy who start on 4DL packages and will spell Mo and Sheldon  when they need a breather in the 3 DL packages.

This likely means Coples plays standing up on 1st/2nd down more often than not.

On 3rd down passing situation, I don't know what Bowles does because he has an embarrassment of riches.  He can send 5 pass rushers in Mo, Sheldon, Coples, Williams, and Babin/Pace/IK.  Harris or Davis at linebacker.  In the secondary, Revis,Cro, and Skrine in man coverage, Gilcrist over the top, and Pryor roaming over the middle to lay the hits.  That's pretty nasty.  Antonio Allen and Dee Milliner are also options depending on matchups.

Todd Bowles really has no excuses, he needs to field a top 5 defense, really top 3.

i agree with your post but,  I think Wilkerson is on the block

Agree with this post 100%

I honestly didn't see a scenario that Williams would fall to the Jets.  Didn't consider him.

IMO this is the best player in this draft.  

This.

Something something beating the Titans and Dolphags.

It's funny to read people's posts and clearly see their head exploding.

Archived