Shocking Prisco Article

KRL

Didn't this happen in camp last year? Everybody looks great in isolated situations in which they perform superior to their long-run average. Those are called outliers. Let's see how he does when he's being blitzed by a five-man front in an actual gameday situation. That's right, we have tons of empirical evidence showing that Geno mentally folds like a tent and throws it to the other team more often than not.

Didn't this happen in camp last year? Everybody looks great in isolated situations in which they perform superior to their long-run average. Those are called outliers. Let's see how he does when he's being blitzed by a five-man front in an actual gameday situation. That's right, we have tons of empirical evidence showing that Geno mentally folds like a tent and throws it to the other team more often than not.

exactly.  This writer cherry-picked 3 plays to fit a narrative.  Geno stunk for 80% of last season and it wasn't just in the early part of the season.

exactly.  This writer cherry-picked 3 plays to fit a narrative.  Geno stunk for 80% of last season and it wasn't just in the early part of the season.

Actually he used three plays to highlight the improvements he saw in his last 6 games. Geno played 13, 6 is almost half the season, not cherry picking plays or 20% of his season.

I hope Geno can become a better QB too but yeah I have to agree that the last couple articles I've seen like this have cherry picked so few plays over the course of the season and then nobody ever talks about the fumbles.  The fumbles are always my biggest worry.  I'm sure he is getting better at reads and throws but I still don't feel confident that he isn't going to fumble the ball.

I hope Geno can become a better QB too but yeah I have to agree that the last couple articles I've seen like this have cherry picked so few plays over the course of the season and then nobody ever talks about the fumbles.  The fumbles are always my biggest worry.  I'm sure he is getting better at reads and throws but I still don't feel confident that he isn't going to fumble the ball.

Not just the fumbles but the lack of awareness of the situation. When you're on the other team's 30-something in a close game you don't run backwards 10+ yards and take a sack. If he got blindsided by a missed blocking assignment, that's one thing. To run straight backwards means he saw it and panicked instead of rolling out outside the tackle and throwing it into the stands. I think he should have been reminded right before every play, through his helmet, but the reason doesn't change: he's unaware. Maybe it's just because he wasn't ready, but maybe because he just can't do it.

Physically he has the tools, mentally he probably knows what he's supposed to do in the film room, but he can take a few seconds or more to come up with his "answer" watching film. If he can't have it translate once the ball is snapped - if he has 1 second (or less) to process what he's seeing and he needs 3 seconds, he's only going to be useful when the line is an impenetrable force and his receivers - his first read in particular - are consistently wide open.  

With the Jets loaded now at the WR spots Geno should see less blitzing. Also with the run game being very effective for the NYJ, a few more draw plays may also help to slow down the pass rush.

Good drop KRL and thanks.

Go Jets

The two plays show the opposite of what he is saying. 

The TD pass to Decker he panicked and just tossed it up off his back foot. 

The pass to Kerley, first of all he uses the angle behind Geno so you can't see his eye's when trying to say he moved his eye's.  He never moves his head off Kerley and throws the ball behind him.  Looks like Karley makes a great catch.

I don't know if he was doing it on purpose but Prisco showed Geno playing worse in those games then people thought.

Yup. Agreed. Lets see how he does against pressure. and when he has an actual WRs to throw to (like the last 4 games of the year). What? You think Im being picky and picking Geno's best games? No, Im picking the ideal situation for a 2nd yr QB and basing my opinion.

Not when he had two actual healthy WRs he knew by name.

Not just the fumbles but the lack of awareness of the situation. When you're on the other team's 30-something in a close game you don't run backwards 10+ yards and take a sack. If he got blindsided by a missed blocking assignment, that's one thing. To run straight backwards means he saw it and panicked instead of rolling out outside the tackle and throwing it into the stands. I think he should have been reminded right before every play, through his helmet, but the reason doesn't change: he's unaware. Maybe it's just because he wasn't ready, but maybe because he just can't do it.

Physically he has the tools, mentally he probably knows what he's supposed to do in the film room, but he can take a few seconds or more to come up with his "answer" watching film. If he can't have it translate once the ball is snapped - if he has 1 second (or less) to process what he's seeing and he needs 3 seconds, he's only going to be useful when the line is an impenetrable force and his receivers - his first read in particular - are consistently wide open.  

1. His OL was average at best.

2. His WRs were rarely open.

3. He had a #2 WR playing at #1 when healthy and a #5 WR at best playing at #2

4. When he had his #1 and #2 in place, no one was complaining here and all of a sudden, that "3 seconds" process was shortened to "1 second"

5. He stunk when his WRs stunk.

Conclusion: He's not Manning. He's also not Ryan Leaf by any stretch of the imagination.

His situational awareness is very poor. There is no excuse for that. That was one area he needs to improve drastically.

I only wish the best for Geno Smith.  Hope he becomes a competent QB for us.  But I just don't see it happening.

agree..as Jets fan I hope he morphs into Joe Montana. I just dont see it happening, but I'd love it....

The two plays show the opposite of what he is saying. 

The TD pass to Decker he panicked and just tossed it up off his back foot. 

No he didn't. Decker pushed off at the line of scrimmage because it was a press coverage. He had the corner beat almost instantly and there was NO safety help. You've got to get the ball to Decker ASAP in this situation and he did. Its called "giving him the credit when its due", not  "Panic".

The pass to Kerley, first of all he uses the angle behind Geno so you can't see his eye's when trying to say he moved his eye's.  He never moves his head off Kerley and throws the ball behind him.  Looks like Karley makes a great catch.

He started off with looking at Kerley, then  looks at Decker briefly and then back at Kerley. Watch it carefully. It happens very quick and so Geno deserves even more credit. There's a reason the safety didn't eat up Kerley. If that pas had been perfect, it may have been a TD, but Kerley was his third progression (Kerley, Decker, Kerley).

I don't know if he was doing it on purpose but Prisco showed Geno playing worse in those games then people thought.

1. His OL was average at best.

2. His WRs were rarely open.

3. He had a #2 WR playing at #1 when healthy and a #5 WR at best playing at #2

4. When he had his #1 and #2 in place, no one was complaining here and all of a sudden, that "3 seconds" process was shortened to "1 second"

5. He stunk when his WRs stunk.

Conclusion: He's not Manning. He's also not Ryan Leaf by any stretch of the imagination.

1. Agreed

2. I couldn't say, only having the ability to see what the TV shows. I know he missed some very open receivers that they did show. 

3. Fantasy rankings of WR1, WR2, WR3 don't move me that much. Decker is plenty good of a WR, Kerley is fine, and his backs did a good job catching the ball out of the backfield. Not the stuff all-time offenses are made of, but good enough for a QB to perform far better than he has. 

4. Yes and no. When he has to survey the field he does it too slowly. That can improve tremendously with experience, but he does lock in on #1 and it was unusual for him to complete more than a dumpoff to someone who isn't his primary read, even when he had a good group to throw to.

5. Yes he did.

I don't think he's Ryan Leaf. I don't hate Smith at all, and really want him to take a giant leap forward, as it's in the team's interest. 

One of my biggest beefs with him - it should be #1 but he gives more than 1 compelling reason - is that his accuracy was pretty bad. I had the same criticism with Sanchez. Guy's wide open, it should be a TD instead of a mere completion. He doesn't lead his receivers well. Not saying he never does, but it's not typical. He gets it in the area. But when coverage is tight, in the area often means batted away or picked off. Even when his numbers got much better, after he came back in to replace Vick, too few were particularly good passes.

What I did like about him, when he first started out - unready as he was - was that I recall him completing more than a few passes with pass rush right in his face, a split-second from a full frontal clobbering, after poor protection. That seemed to have left him in year 2. Not a stretch to determine why, but it was one of the things I liked about him early on. I also liked that he wasn't Sanchez. Soon enough I may similarly like that the next guy isn't Geno.

I'm in watch and wait mode in the following way: If he improves tremendously and does well I'm happy. If someone else does well and takes Geno's job away, I'm also happy.

1. Agreed

2. I couldn't say, only having the ability to see what the TV shows. I know he missed some very open receivers that they did show. 

3. Fantasy rankings of WR1, WR2, WR3 don't move me that much. Decker is plenty good of a WR, Kerley is fine, and his backs did a good job catching the ball out of the backfield. Not the stuff all-time offenses are made of, but good enough for a QB to perform far better than he has. 

4. Yes and no. When he has to survey the field he does it too slowly. That can improve tremendously with experience, but he does lock in on #1 and it was unusual for him to complete more than a dumpoff to someone who isn't his primary read, even when he had a good group to throw to.

5. Yes he did.

I don't think he's Ryan Leaf. I don't hate Smith at all, and really want him to take a giant leap forward, as it's in the team's interest. 

One of my biggest beefs with him - it should be #1 but he gives more than 1 compelling reason - is that his accuracy was pretty bad. I had the same criticism with Sanchez. Guy's wide open, it should be a TD instead of a mere completion. He doesn't lead his receivers well. Not saying he never does, but it's not typical. He gets it in the area. But when coverage is tight, in the area often means batted away or picked off. Even when his numbers got much better, after he came back in to replace Vick, too few were particularly good passes.

What I did like about him, when he first started out - unready as he was - was that I recall him completing more than a few passes with pass rush right in his face, a split-second from a full frontal clobbering, after poor protection. That seemed to have left him in year 2. Not a stretch to determine why, but it was one of the things I liked about him early on. I also liked that he wasn't Sanchez. Soon enough I may similarly like that the next guy isn't Geno.

I'm in watch and wait mode in the following way: If he improves tremendously and does well I'm happy. If someone else does well and takes Geno's job away, I'm also happy.

2. Yes, but every QB does.

3. Double Decker and shut him down. Go one on one with Kerley and Nelson and the teams can blitz on every play. Nelson was our #2 and he should not have been on the roster to begin with. Its the trickle down affect. Now you have Marshall. Double both Marshall and Decker, and you'll see the #3 and #4 step up due to the extra time for the QB. Double Marshall and you have Decker going for 200+ yards (well, not always of course). When Decker was playing #2, he went for 441 yards in the last 4 games while healthy. You double team him and I'd love to see Marshall go one on one against anyone without safety help.

4. I don't really agree with the last sentence. It all goes back to #3. You lose confidence in guys like Nelson and Salas after not seeing them get open (enough). But I saw him going through multiple reads and coming up with nothing. Sometimes a guys gets open right after you look the other way. It happens.

And yes, his accuracy is wild sometimes. He's very similar to Sanchez. Needs confidence to play well. Can be very streaky at times. I think he can play at a decent level. He showed it towards the end of the season. And I think Decker is a much better WR at #2, where he will be playing this year. "Can't wait".

I posted an article about geno going to the QB guru this off season

between that, getting tons of help on offense, lots of competition, players calling him out, new HC and chan gailey designing an offense around the players....

if he doesn't do it this year he never will

Fact is that even if he has a great season, the Geno haters will still hate on him every little mistake he makes. If he does well in a game their defense will suck. If he has an off game, Geno is stupid and sucks and should be benched.Unless he has Rodgers like stats for the first 10 games the hatred will be enduring. He will just never be good in their eyes. There should be like an icon on your forum avatar. Geno Hater, Geno optimist. No one loves Geno at this point.

I still think Geno is the best fit for this team, as constructed.  

To me, Geno's biggest problem isn't the one on one matchups or accuracy, it's his inability to see the weakside player roaming free.  If you look at a good amount of his INTs (albeit this is the case with most interceptions, but I think in Geno's case, it's more than the norm), he seems to fall prey to the weakside player roaming free, and jumping the route of the ball.  To me, part of that blame has to go on the personnel, because we didn't have anyone besides Decker, that was going to do anything against a one on one matchup, besides maybe a curl route or a short gain on most plays.  Teams could actually let players roam, because the defense didn't have to account for speed (even when Hill was here, half the time, he was injured), thus safeties could creep much closer to the line than against other teams.  Second, our secondary players couldn't beat one on one coverage on a consistent basis, so inside LBs were just following Geno's eyes with less regard to zone than usual because the consequences weren't as bad.  Once, Decker was on the field, we saw our offense improve a good amount, so I think Marshall is going to make a big difference in the offense.  

I also think, the spread system, of just horizontally spreading out the defense, allows for less defenders to make weakside plays because they have larger grounds to cover.  This should help reduce one of his biggest weaknesses.  And the Devin Smith addition is probably one of the biggest keys to the season, and I think I can make an argument that he's the biggest addition to the team from the draft, because he changes the dynamics of safety play against us.   Devin Smith, on the field is a one on one nightmare, so the safeties should shade over to whatever side he's on, but this increases the pressure on the LBs underneath, because they aren't as free to roam.   

I don't think Smith is perfect, nor may he be good.  But I would love to see him in the new system before calling him a loser, because the guys he had to work with were well below par.  His worst games also coincide with the games that Decker missed/was getting back, and the games where Harvin was being forced into the lineup without much time to gel.   

All very good points, and I hope you're right. He did, however, throw some very careless interceptions that had nothing to do with the weak side. I do agree, however, that the improved receivers unit will make him better

Some very good points in Geno's favor here and no doubt he has had some nightmare games. More then any other OC he had in the past, I think Chan will put him in a system that allows him to be comfortable and get the best use of his talent. In addition to improved skill players around him I expect we will see a much improved Geno this year

Fact is that even if he has a great season, the Geno haters will still hate on him every little mistake he makes. If he does well in a game their defense will suck. If he has an off game, Geno is stupid and sucks and should be benched.Unless he has Rodgers like stats for the first 10 games the hatred will be enduring. He will just never be good in their eyes. There should be like an icon on your forum avatar. Geno Hater, Geno optimist. No one loves Geno at this point.

its much simpler to blame one person, have a central character to blame for all thats wrong.  Takes thought, effort and insight to see all thats wrong as opposed to just blurting "whos the QB"?  Rex is gone, Geno's not it.  

Geno cut down his INTs last year.  That is good.  He still backpedals into hell.  He still eschews the run when it is an easy option for him.  He is still somewhat inaccurate.  Would improved line  play help big time? Yes.  But going to the line with the big picture in mind would help too.  Geno has to be more situational and not check list oriented.  Time and distance.  HE is thinking mechanically when he has to be more holistic.  HIs plays cannot be just a collection of parts.

Here we go again, another guy questioning Geno's intelligence, now if you weren't also and African American Sperm Edwards I'd be screaming "THAT'S RACIST!" anybody have the GIF of that little kid mouthing the words for me? 

Geno Smith is not a Quarterback in the NFL. 

look who's back and as to your comment sorry Barton but I've done the work up on all of Geno's best games and disregarded all of the bad ones and afterwards the numbers I came up with show a potential super bowl winning pro bowler borderline hall of famer so I don't know what you're talking about but hey welcome back anyway.

Archived