Devin Smith Injury (MERGED)

CrazyCarl40

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@nyjets: WR Devin Smith suffered broken ribs. He will miss the majority of camp and is being held in the hospital overnight as a precaution.

Cloudy WR picture gets cloudier. Other guys now have the chance to step up.

The Jets finally draft the WR that I wanted and he breaks his ribs during the 2nd day of training camp. 

Life sucks. 

I'm guessing Keyshawn or Coles.

i just looked. and while they had a decent season or 2 neither of them really came all that close to it. keyshawn was closest with 10 tds but fell short of the yardage, and that was in 16 games. coles was close on the yardage but never came close to 12 td's.

i juts looked it up and the sad truth is that the only receiver to really hit close enough to the mark was don maynard and art powell

maybe keyshawn johnson in 98 but he was short almost 200 yards and 2 td's and that was in all 16 games

I have a broken rib and two broken bones off my vertebrae (transverse processes) from a fall off my horse doing jumps three weeks ago. X-rays didn't see it and I had to have a CAT scan. 

Doctors will tell you broken ribs are the most painful of all broken bone injuries mostly because there is nothing you can do (no chest wraps because they promote pneumonia). The chest does 2,000 movement a day and each one will hurt from discomfort to agony. 

It depends where the break is (mine is on my back) too because the front can be more easy to manage or if his rib are not cleanly broken and are fractured. At least with a fracture there is some stabilizing bone. 

In my case my rib was displaced and not in alignment and I'm dealing with that now waiting to it to align which I am told it will. 

Six-eight weeks is the usual period for healing, but I can tell you after three weeks I'm still needing pain meds to sleep.

I feel very sorry for Devin because he'll be deal with three broken ribs and all the pain it will cause him. It must of been a hell of a fall.

With no camp and no pre season, Smith will be extremely far behind the curve.

It is unrealistic to expect anything from him this year. Maybe a flash or two in Nov/Dec.

We have zero luck. And this is a significant set back for the offense.

It sucks not as big a deal as you're making it out to be

What the heck is a "slightly" punctured lung??  Is he partially pregnant too?

I guess what's clear is that the rib fracture is displaced, which sucks, and must increase the healing time.

But again, while this sucks, this is still better than a knee or a concussion, as once he's healed he's healed...

Smith will be fine, he'll be running routes in 3 weeks, and doing mental reps, way too much over the top paranoia in this thread.

Injuries happen in camp, not sure why fans don't get this.  We should be rooting for the small ones like this one.

Smith will be fine, he'll be running routes in 3 weeks, and doing mental reps, way too much over the top paranoia in this thread.

Injuries happen in camp, not sure why fans don't get this.  We should be rooting for the small ones like this one.

Look at Clowney the first pick in the draft 2014 he was hurt most of last year and is on the PUP now in year 2..

i just looked. and while they had a decent season or 2 neither of them really came all that close to it. keyshawn was closest with 10 tds but fell short of the yardage, and that was in 16 games. coles was close on the yardage but never came close to 12 td's.

i juts looked it up and the sad truth is that the only receiver to really hit close enough to the mark was don maynard and art powell

maybe keyshawn johnson in 98 but he was short almost 200 yards and 2 td's and that was in all 16 games

Disclaimer I'm drunk. So you're saying the Jets all time season leaders suck

Odell Beckham Jr could tell you a little about not having a preseason.

Seemed to work out just fine for him.

So do you think what happened with OBJ is typical of a rookie that misses all of camp or was it a fluke? If you are trying to prove that it is possible for Smith to contribute this season, then go no further, I agree.  If you are trying to persuade anyone that it is likely, however, sorry, disagree.  Very hard for a rookie to contribute like OBJ after an injury keeps them out of the entire camp/preseason.  Not too many others I can think of who did like OBJ.  Never said it wasn't possible.  Just highly improbable.  Smith won't likely contribute significantly until next season.  I liked the pick and was happy with it.  Still am.    

It sucks not as big a deal as you're making it out to be

We need a burner out there to keep the defense honest with Marshall.  Decker is not that.  Kerley is not that.  Neither is Evans.  Are we keeping Hakim? Enunwa?  

@nyjets: WR Devin Smith (ribs) also suffered a partially punctured lung at yesterday's practice. He will remain in the hospital overnight.

Just came in on Jets twitter account. Don't know how serious that is, but hopefully he's being well once the season starts

I have a broken rib and two broken bones off my vertebrae (transverse processes) from a fall off my horse doing jumps three weeks ago. X-rays didn't see it and I had to have a CAT scan.

Doctors will tell you broken ribs are the most painful of all broken bone injuries mostly because there is nothing you can do (no chest wraps because they promote pneumonia). The chest does 2,000 movement a day and each one will hurt from discomfort to agony.

It depends where the break is (mine is on my back) too because the front can be more easy to manage or if his rib are not cleanly broken and are fractured. At least with a fracture there is some stabilizing bone.

In my case my rib was displaced and not in alignment and I'm dealing with that now waiting to it to align which I am told it will.

Six-eight weeks is the usual period for healing, but I can tell you after three weeks I'm still needing pain meds to sleep.

I feel very sorry for Devin because he'll be deal with three broken ribs and all the pain it will cause him. It must of been a hell of a fall.

I have been there too. It is no fun.

Disclaimer I'm drunk. So you're saying the Jets all time season leaders suck

i'm saying odell beckham jr only needed 12 games as a rookie who missed all of training camp and the first 4 games of the season, to put up better numbers than any jets receiver since the 1960's

So do you think what happened with OBJ is typical of a rookie that misses all of camp or was it a fluke? If you are trying to prove that it is possible for Smith to contribute this season, then go no further, I agree. If you are trying to persuade anyone that it is likely, however, sorry, disagree. Very hard for a rookie to contribute like OBJ after an injury keeps them out of the entire camp/preseason. Not too many others I can think of who did like OBJ. Never said it wasn't possible. Just highly improbable. Smith won't likely contribute significantly until next season. I liked the pick and was happy with it. Still am.

You are overstating

The Giants also lost Cruz and their other WRs were mediocre at best, the Jets WR situation is far different. At full health Smith was going to rotate at #3 and #4 and would still rotate with Kerley and Owusu/Evans

So do you think what happened with OBJ is typical of a rookie that misses all of camp or was it a fluke? If you are trying to prove that it is possible for Smith to contribute this season, then go no further, I agree.  If you are trying to persuade anyone that it is likely, however, sorry, disagree.  Very hard for a rookie to contribute like OBJ after an injury keeps them out of the entire camp/preseason.  Not too many others I can think of who did like OBJ.  Never said it wasn't possible.  Just highly improbable.  Smith won't likely contribute significantly until next season.  I liked the pick and was happy with it.  Still am.    

It was a bit of fluke but don't write off his year before it even starts. 

Look at Clowney the first pick in the draft 2014 he was hurt most of last year and is on the PUP now in year 2..

The Clowney injury was a much worse.  As a matter of fact, there is a chance he may never be the same player.  As far as Smith, once the ribs are healed it's over.  I prefer this to even a hamstring which lingers.  Hopefully Smith will return late in the per-season.

Devin Smith now has been diagnosed with a punctured lung in addition to a broken wrist.

They say 4 to 6 weeks but it has to be longer than that.  Luckily with our enhanced receiving core   this should not affect our offense as much at it could have.  He was looking to be our long ball threat for Geno or Fitzpatrick . I'm not sure if he was going to be handling our punt return duties. This all happened by playing without pads or small pads  in a scrimmage.  In the future wide receivers should wear a little more padding during these limited scrimmages.

It looks like this 2nd round draft pick is not going to be a resource until 2016.

J  E  T S JETSJETSJETS

We need a burner out there to keep the defense honest with Marshall.  Decker is not that.  Kerley is not that.  Neither is Evans.  Are we keeping Hakim? Enunwa?  

TJ Graham, Owusu, Enunwa and Hakim

All capable of taking the lid off, I believe.

Archived