Quincy Enunwa

Villain The Foe

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hopefully he continues to develop as a Tight End. Maybe then when Amaro comes back we can run double TE sets like Hernadez and Gronk. I really want to make the playoffs but a better reason is to continue to see our guys play this year. We have a few players on the come up that I'm not ready to wait till' next season to examine closer.

Hopefully he continues to develop as a Tight End. Maybe then when Amaro comes back we can run double TE sets like Hernadez and Gronk. I really want to make the playoffs but a better reason is to continue to see our guys play this year. We have a few players on the come up that I'm not ready to wait till' next season to examine closer.

True. I would have loved to see Amaro in this defense though. I know that the word on Gailey is that he doesnt really utilize TE's, I think its more about not really having quality at the position at the time, though I could be wrong. 

If Amaro has a unique ability I think Gailey is the man to utilize it. Our OC has Bilal Powell looking like a stud the last 3 weeks, especially in the receiving game. 

He's played really really well of late no question about it.  I had already called him a crappy jag thus I was wrong.  He has to keep catching the ball and he'll have a future long term.

He did have a bit of a rough start, and he had a couple drops. But he's had some really sweet/tough catches this season...especially on conversion downs. He's been a nice piece to the puzzle. 

I've always liked Enunwa...felt like he was one of Rex's best picks if given time.  The other night was clearly his best game thus far.  Hopefully he keeps it up.  Coming from Nebraska he was definitely a guy who was going to need some work.

3 catches 35 yards. Seems like that's his stat line each week. And it's always 3 crucial catches. Hopefully he keeps it up. 

Exactly. Hopefully he's building consistency in that department when it come to important catches. Though he's been inconsistent when looking at the entire season, I feel that during the last 4 games he's been a nice emergency outlet. 

He did have a bit of a rough start, and he had a couple drops. But he's had some really sweet/tough catches this season...especially on conversion downs. He's been a nice piece to the puzzle. 

He is young and still learning.  This is why many get frustrated with labeling a player a bust early on.  With his suspension and injuries he lost some time, but he is starting to come around. Not to mention, he has been very good in run blocking.  This is also why you cannot judge purely by stats.  This is also why Kerley hasn't been getting playing time.  He has potential, is getting better, and does a great job blocking.  The bigger picture...

Yeah, guy has made a liar out of me.  Last couple of games he has been playing lights out.  

Can't help but wonder where it leaves Amaro next year.  I strongly suspect  Gailey is not running a 2 TE set.  Enunwa isn't even really a TE, he's mostly an H-back.  That is what Gailey was trying convert Amaro into. If Enunwa continues to contribute the way he has it's going to be very difficult for Amaro to get snaps off him next season.  Wondering if Amaro will be trade bait this off-season.  

Yeah, guy has made a liar out of me.  Last couple of games he has been playing lights out.  

Can't help but wonder where it leaves Amaro next year.  I strongly suspect  Gailey is not running a 2 TE set.  Enunwa isn't even really a TE, he's mostly an H-back.  That is what Gailey was trying convert Amaro into. If Enunwa continues to contribute the way he has it's going to be very difficult for Amaro to get snaps off him next season.  Wondering if Amaro will be trade bait this off-season.  

With the success they've had with bigger guys in the slot this season, and the frequency of 4/5 WR sets, I think Gailey will find a way to work both guys in regularly enough to get everyone contributing.  Nice problem to have.

He is young and still learning.  This is why many get frustrated with labeling a player a bust early on.  With his suspension and injuries he lost some time, but he is starting to come around. Not to mention, he has been very good in run blocking.  This is also why you cannot judge purely by stats.  This is also why Kerley hasn't been getting playing time.  He has potential, is getting better, and does a great job blocking.  The bigger picture...

Kerley mostly hasn't been getting snaps because Decker has been playing the slot extremely well.  Enunwa mostly plays H-back.  i really like Kerley, but in all honestly he is somewhat limited to the slot.  Just isn't very effective outside. 

With the success they've had with bigger guys in the slot this season, and the frequency of 4/5 WR sets, I think Gailey will find a way to work both guys in regularly enough to get everyone contributing.  Nice problem to have.

It is a nice problem to have, but keep in mind even before he was injured, from the surface of it at least, it appeared perhaps Amaro had found his way into Bowles dog house.  In OTA's and Mini camp Bowles was running two separate fields .  One for the people likely to make the team, and one for the bubble players.  Amaro was practicing on the 2nd field..  Cimini made a note recently that Amaro hasn't been seen in the building since he was placed on IR.  IR'ed players aren't required to be there, but it's unusual for them not to be.  They can't practice with the team, but they can work out, re-hab, watch film, go to meetings, and talk to coaches.  it would be odd for a 2nd year player, who was going through a position change not to be in.

Think it's a situation that should be interesting to watch.  

I totally agree; they guy is basically a rookie and as much as some refuse to understand, IT TAKES TIME to learn how to play in this league for the vast majority of players.  Only a handful come straight out of college and pick right up where they left off or even better.   I do understand to a degree because the teams drafting record has been pretty abysmal over the last 5 -6 years.   Still, we have to give this CS and chance to work with and develop our young players before throwing them in the trash can.  Devin Smith comes to mind... 

I don't, because unlike Enunwa, Amaro can't block.  Amaro is out for the season with a torn labrum.  Put that in perspective, Chad Pennington and Mark Sanchez played a full season both with a torn labrum in their throwing arm.  It's not a season ending injury for a TE at all.  I think the coaches put him on IR because they didn't want to waste the roster spot and because I just don't think they have a place to use the guy.  He has size and speed for a TE, but his hands are tiny and he drops a lot of balls.  I think they much prefer Enunwa because he's tough, can block, and has the physical gifts to become a solid receiver.  With Jace he has the gifts of being a solid receiver, but he can't block worth squat and the guy is just soft.  I have a feeling he will be gone next year, he was 3rd on the depth chart at TE before his injury behind Cumby and Evans, and I don't think he'll be supplanting Enunwa.

As for Enunwa, if he really develops his route running and receiving technique the guy can be a real solid player in the league.   

As FlaJetfan mentioned in an earlier post, he is like Richard Caster from years hence. Caster (88) also had the dropsies in his first year, eventually became a tight end...

Boy if he could develop into another Richard Caster... he used to be one of my favorite players. He too was a kind of hybrid TE/WR until they decided to switch him full time to receiver and make Jerome Barkum the TE. 

Looking at the board we're talking about alot of other players, even non-Jets players given Odell's shenanigans, but Quincy Enunwa. Wow. We were trying our best to give this game away but Quincy with this monster of a catch on 3rd and 13 to keep the game alive for us. Clutch. 

Enunwa%201.gif

Enunwa%202.gif

I loved Fitz's postgame comments on this play.  He went on about how smart Enunwa's route was, he had an option to go in or out and he made the right move.  Then Fitz says something to the effect of "I saw him come open and then proceeded to throw him an absolutely awful pass, just awful.  Like end over end..... and Quincy made an incredible catch to bail me out." 

I don't, because unlike Enunwa, Amaro can't block.  Amaro is out for the season with a torn labrum.  Put that in perspective, Chad Pennington and Mark Sanchez played a full season both with a torn labrum in their throwing arm.  It's not a season ending injury for a TE at all.  I think the coaches put him on IR because they didn't want to waste the roster spot and because I just don't think they have a place to use the guy.  He has size and speed for a TE, but his hands are tiny and he drops a lot of balls.  I think they much prefer Enunwa because he's tough, can block, and has the physical gifts to become a solid receiver.  With Jace he has the gifts of being a solid receiver, but he can't block worth squat and the guy is just soft.  I have a feeling he will be gone next year, he was 3rd on the depth chart at TE before his injury behind Cumby and Evans, and I don't think he'll be supplanting Enunwa.

As for Enunwa, if he really develops his route running and receiving technique the guy can be a real solid player in the league.   

Could be, but man would that be pretty wreckless to give up on a guy without even getting him on the field for some pre-season games.  Maybe they cut him in the offseason, I dunno.

Could be, but man would that be pretty wreckless to give up on a guy without even getting him on the field for some pre-season games.  Maybe they cut him in the offseason, I dunno.

I'm sorry I should clarify, I think he's going into preseason next year.  He's gonna get a look and likely down to final cuts, but my gut tells me unless he's really made some strides on blocking I just don't know if they'll keep him around. 

I'm sorry I should clarify, I think he's going into preseason next year.  He's gonna get a look and likely down to final cuts, but my gut tells me unless he's really made some strides on blocking I just don't know if they'll keep him around. 

I think they will be smart enough to take a real long look.  Remember he got hurt EARLY in camp and NEVER fully recovered. I don't understand why we seem in such a hurry to get rid of our young players.  He played okay his first year and even made a few big catches; why do we assume we can't continue to improve?  You say he was IRed with a torn labrum but he didn't put himself on the IR, the CS did.  How is that his fault exactly??   I agree he needs to improve his blocking and it appeared that he had done so and then he got injured.  The bottom line for him is staying healthy; if he does that he will be just fine, imho. 

Well, it depends on the degree of tear in the labrum. It can be pretty minor or it can require surgery -- no QB is playing with a fully torn labrum. 

That said I definitely agree the injury shouldn't have been season ending and the fact that they jumped at the chance to IR him was revealing at the time. It didn't take a genius to diagnose that the new coaching staff wasn't big on Amaro, who has proved nothing thus far. Agree he has small hands and is a poor blocker. I doubt he ever does anything for us. 

I'll be very surprised if he is outright cut, but I am suspecting he'll be put on the trade block.  

It's obvious the coaching staff like Enunwas upside compared to Amaro. I keep reiterating to you guys actual inside information regarding Amaros 1st camp. HE'S NOT A HARD WORKER! HE'S SOFT! Chubby soft. 

One thing Bowles did in camp was separate the guys based on who was in shape, and who was not. Amaro was send to the island of out of shape NFL players. Guys like Ertz & Eifert are athletic freaks compared to Amaro. He was a really bad pick in the 2nd round. We needed WRs. We could have had Allen Robinson, Jarvis Landry, Donte Moncrief or John Brown, enough said.

Like someone else pointed out this guy has been MIA since surgery, not one sighting, not one story? Could you imagine how Jarvis Landry would have lifted our special teams this year? Thank god Pryor is coming around (looks to be a leader too).

Enunwa reminds me of a poor mans Anquan Boldin, but who knows what Enunwas upside is? He's young, he's built beastly, someone likened him to Cotchery, Cothery is a peanut next to Quincy. Size wise, that's a formidable group out there with Brandon, Decker & Quincy. With Chung & McCourty banged up, they'll be a handful for the Pats CBs & backup safeties.

Hard to cut big and strong WR's who can block. They coached him up and now he can catch.

That does seem to be what happened.  Also early in the season on a few plays it seemed to me that Enunwa wasn't going after the ball aggressively.  Looking at that gif it sure seems to have been coached into him.   

I totally agree; they guy is basically a rookie and as much as some refuse to understand, IT TAKES TIME to learn how to play in this league for the vast majority of players.  Only a handful come straight out of college and pick right up where they left off or even better.   I do understand to a degree because the teams drafting record has been pretty abysmal over the last 5 -6 years.   Still, we have to give this CS and chance to work with and develop our young players before throwing them in the trash can.  Devin Smith comes to mind... 

He was a lower pick and at that picked for potential, a projection pick.  Add in that there is a learning curve for WRs, they don't usually come in and put up numbers. 

A recipe for impatient fans to label a player a bust way too early. 

Archived