Will Dee Milliner's contract force the Jets hand to play him in 2016?

jetscrazey

Milliner is entering the final year of his contract in 2016, and his cap number is $4.028 million.  And what's worse is that the Jets gain nothing by cutting him.  It's the same cap charge whether or not he's on the roster.

It does the Jets no good to have a player counting $4 million against the cap playing kickoffs only.  So it seems to Jets are going to be forced to try to extract some added value on defense with him.

I like Milliner's talent, and thought he was really turning the corner entering his 2nd season, but then the achillies injury came and changed everything.  He's too unreliable health-wise.  We still have no idea if Milliner is even the same player.

This does have implications for the Jets, though, when you consider they are already paying Revis, Cro, and Skrine big money.  Adding a 4th CB to that list is tough.  Cro's cap number is $8 million and the Jets save all of it by cutting him.  Milliner's cap number may just force the Jets hand into cutting Cro and not even trying to resign him at a reduced rate.  I mean, how much money can you really tie up in one position, when you need to improve other areas?

Jets may be forced into a roster spot, but playing will be up to Millner. Millner has not bin able to stay healthy let alone show an ability to play the position. Another year of working with the trainers rather than with the players and coaches and its bye bye Dee. Thanks  for coming but don't let the door hit you on the way out. Millner will rank among some of the biggest bust in Jets history but in the NFL. 

Delicate Dee, he may be on the Flight Crew this upcoming season. The highest paid one at that. He needs to be in the weight room right now and then in some stretching classes.  

At the end of his rookie campaign he did flash some talent since then he has been in the tub. The Jets may be forced to keep him and cut Cro. The Jets certainly need to draft a CB or go FA to get one as he cannot be counted on to stay. I really like Cro, just not at 32.

If he can't play, playing a guy who sucks and weakens the defense while costing the team 4 mil Isnt better than paying him to sit behind someone already on the roster.  

Still, hopefully he can stay healthy, he has the talent to play.  Best thing for the team is for him to slide into Cros spot and stay on the field playing like a top ten pick

Would love to see this kid play a full season (sure its wishful thinking) he was improving some when we had Ed Reed, maybe just maybe Revis can straighten the kid out and he could atleast live half way up to the potential he once had. (also probably wishful thinking)

9 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

Revis would probably want another $6MM for that to happen.

If he could somehow make Milliner sturdy and play well it might be worth giving him 6 mil lol we need our young talent to step up as our older stars will not be with us forever.

1 hour ago, bealeb319 said:

Would love to see this kid play a full season (sure its wishful thinking) he was improving some when we had Ed Reed, maybe just maybe Revis can straighten the kid out and he could atleast live half way up to the potential he once had. (also probably wishful thinking)

You're acting like Revis cares about anyone but himself.

5 minutes ago, Colgateman said:

You're acting like Revis cares about anyone but himself.

Where does wanting to get paid like apparently he deserves to be paid say he isnt a good teammate, wont help another teammate?  

Given the way just about everyone seems to like him, likes playing with him, not seeing him as that kind of player in the locker room.

Do the Jets save the cap space if Dee is traded?  I could see a team taking a chance for a low round pick and salary dump for the Jets...

This was a bad pick the second it was announced, expecting the kid to replace Revis was insane, any other position in the draft would have had a chance, not a CB  

Juist curious.... when do the Jets have to state whether he will have his 5th yr. option exercised?

If it's before the season begins, I say they exercise it in case he does play well this yr. They can always cut him w/o any penalty( like Coples)

If they don't and he miraculously does play well. he becomes an UFA.

I understand the guy sucks as of today, but if he stays healthy maybe he turns it around.

Let the criticism's begin... LOL!

12 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Juist curious.... when do the Jets have to state whether he will have his 5th yr. option exercised?

If it's before the season begins, I say they exercise it in case he does play well this yr. They can always cut him w/o any penalty( like Coples)

If they don't and he miraculously does play well. he becomes an UFA.

I understand the guy sucks as of today, but if he stays healthy maybe he turns it around.

Let the criticism's begin... LOL!

Hes only going into his 4th season

The guy is a f*ckin pussy. He makes guys like Chad Pennington and Jon McGraw look like reliable studs. They might as well put him in a quarantine away from the typical world. That way he can't strain his vagina walking on uneven ground. F*ck him.

Most fans have already established the fact that John Idzik was an incompetent retard. After all, they paid for bill boards to be put up. So why would anyone care about Dee Milliner? Everyone has already determined that he's a china doll and he'll never be a contributing player. So forget about it. Let him disappear into the abyss with John Idzik. His release now is merely a matter of timing and nothing else.

1 hour ago, Mainejet said:

The guy is a f*ckin pussy. He makes guys like Chad Pennington and Jon McGraw look like reliable studs. They might as well put him in a quarantine away from the typical world. That way he can't strain his vagina walking on uneven ground. F*ck him.

Most fans have already established the fact that John Idzik was an incompetent retard. After all, they paid for bill boards to be put up. So why would anyone care about Dee Milliner? Everyone has already determined that he's a china doll and he'll never be a contributing player. So forget about it. Let him disappear into the abyss with John Idzik. His release now is merely a matter of timing and nothing else.

It's next to impossible to be this wrong and offensive all at the same time

Dee's been the softest player I've perhaps ever seen. Cornerbacks hardly play on the D- Line.

I know its a little unrashional, but I don't like Dee. He's basically stolen a salary from the Jets since we signed him. Outside four games at the end of his rookie season he's either been sh@t or injured.

We are stuck with him this season. What a wasted top ten pick, Gholston all over again.

4 hours ago, PatsFanTX said:

+1

The worst college football program in the US.

Ya  4 nattys in 7 yrs, the worst program ever, they win because they consistently get the best recruits to play there, there hasnt been 1 bama player suspended for PEDS not a one skippy.  Too bad you cant say the same about Cheats mon

7 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Alabama has the finest steroid dispensary in college football. The further these guys get away from Bama, the quicker they start to decompose. Thug program, worse than UNC and Notre Dame. 

Be wary of Fedora giving you a rim job mon

9 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Not a good player even when healthy. Just not good. 

Im surely not an optimistic for Dee's long term career here but we really never got a solid chance to evaluate Dee. 

All I can remember is him looking like a stud for one month again elite competition and being hurt off and on since. To me Dee is the type of player that plays excellent in contract years and gets hurt after a big contract. So yes Im predicting excellent play this season and future injuries. 

Archived