Scouting Report: Christian Hackenberg

johnnyjet

I think if the Jets are in the business of providing fan entertainment, the fans in 2016 and 2017 will be happier with Fitz under center.  

I agree that the difference in W/L between Fitz and Geno would not necessarily.be meaningful  I think given the roster as currently constructed, and Fitz' ability to make a bad OL look ok, it could be the difference between possibly squeezing into the playoffs (possibly), or definitely not making the playoffs.

Understanding that Fitz would be a 1-2 year stop gap, the price payable for that more competent but not contending team would be 1) contracts restructured pushing money into future years, 2) Mo definitely not being on the team, and/or 3) a lower drafting position in 2017 than they otherwise would have if Geno was the QB.

If the future of the Jets is Hackenberg and/or Petty and their new defense, it is really toss up whether you bring Fitz back or not.  i think MacC looks at it similarly.  I think he sees the 7-8 as a price that makes Fitz worth it all things considered,  More than that, you are borrowing Peter to pay Paul. 

All of the above ignores the value of being a mentor.  I would not want Geno Smith to mentor my Pet Rock.  That is really where Fitz adds value.  

The Bears signed Hoyer for $2mm.  Maybe that was the answer here, but I guess as well that was back up money.  Would he have taken $5mm to start?

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Having watched Fitz in Buffalo and here I can conclude most of his INts were the result of boneheaded decisions.  No he hasn't have an around the back fumble so he's smarter than Geno- Yay!

If Geno played the way Fitz did in Buffalo last year, Jet fans would want his head on the end of a flaming pointed stick. Boneheaded? How about being in FG position & literally taking the snap & staring down Decker the whole way & throwing it directly into the hands of the defender that had better position than Decker. But instead it's OMG we better get Fitz back, he's got an epic beard & he's Mangolds best buddy & did you see his crazy eyes when his buddy Mangold lifted him after that TD? Sorry, that last game was all I needed to see, he's a 12 year vet, if anything he's gonna get worse with teams seeing last years film & facing much stronger defenses. It took him overtime to beat the 32nd ranked defense (NY Giants), and that took an epic 10 point comeback because up until they point he SUCKED BALLS! Everyone always forgets the 1st 3 quarters of a comeback,lol.  So, let's see what happened, the 32nd ranked defense got tired in the 4th quarter. He really played some sh*t defenses. (Didn't Brees drop 55 points on the Giants & throw only 3 incompletions,lol?)

57 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Here is part of the explanation on roster size http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1640782-the-anatomy-of-a-53-man-roster-in-the-nfl. 46 of the 53 dress on Sunday and most teams are only dressing 2 Qbs but many have 3 on their active roster. So one guy usually the rookie doesn't dress. That's what they mostly did with Petty in 2015. So it would be tough to carry 4 out of your 53. I think that Petty is expendable. Last season he would have been claimed but this year probably not because his new team would have to carry him on their 53. So they'd then have to cut a Qb if they claim Petty. 

i am confused a bit.  if we cut him, why can't someone else pick him up for their practice squad?  why does he have to be on the 53 man roster.  thanks

Warfish pretty much nailed it.

Unless Geno has made incredible strides in the last year (not entirely impossible to be fair) then he's simply not an NFL starter. I think he's a competent backup who has the physical talent to win you any individual game but he just lacks any sort consistency and his composure in the pocket is amateurish. 

Fitz wasn't "carried" by anything. It's a complete myth. He had a good pair of WR's and a decent running game, but that was offset by having one of the worst offensive lines in the game. He was one of the most pressured QB's in the league and one of the least sacked. It's amazing how often his detractors play that down or even ignore it altogether His decisiveness under pressure – Passing and Running – As well his ability to get ball out quickly were the main reasons our offence was able to function how it was. While Gailey deserves some credit too there's absolutely no chance that happens with Geno, who has never been part of anything but an offence which was historically awful. 

I don't think there's a viable alternative to Fitzpatrick for this season. Not on the roster there isn't anyway. Geno wont last two games before the fans completely turn on him and everyone knows that. The organisation is trying to compete - As they should be coming off a 10-6 season. Some of the fans here are simply always planning to fail, it's such a losing mentality - Trying to play down the 10 wins, trying to talk up the long term without worrying about the fact that we actually have a decent team right now! 

Hypotheticals for next season and excuse making for his previous seasons all over the place. It's almost like I've seen it before. Anyways, I can only smile at it all because it’s so obvious Fitz will be back – reading between the lines of everything that’s coming from the Jets. He IS the plan and we’ll be stuck with our record setting passer for another year. At least. Yeah boyeee. 

9 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

i am confused a bit.  if we cut him, why can't someone else pick him up for their practice squad?  why does he have to be on the 53 man roster.  thanks

No, I think you're right. If we cut him the other team has to keep him on their 53. If nobody claims him then the Jets can put him on their PS. Or Petty can choose to be on another team's PS if he doesn't want to accept the Jets PS. 

22 minutes ago, varjet said:

I think if the Jets are in the business of providing fan entertainment, the fans in 2016 and 2017 will be happier with Fitz under center.  

I agree that the difference in W/L between Fitz and Geno would not necessarily.be meaningful  I think given the roster as currently constructed, and Fitz' ability to make a bad OL look ok, it could be the difference between possibly squeezing into the playoffs (possibly), or definitely not making the playoffs.

Understanding that Fitz would be a 1-2 year stop gap, the price payable for that more competent but not contending team would be 1) contracts restructured pushing money into future years, 2) Mo definitely not being on the team, and/or 3) a lower drafting position in 2017 than they otherwise would have if Geno was the QB.

If the future of the Jets is Hackenberg and/or Petty and their new defense, it is really toss up whether you bring Fitz back or not.  i think MacC looks at it similarly.  I think he sees the 7-8 as a price that makes Fitz worth it all things considered,  More than that, you are borrowing Peter to pay Paul. 

All of the above ignores the value of being a mentor.  I would not want Geno Smith to mentor my Pet Rock.  That is really where Fitz adds value.  

The Bears signed Hoyer for $2mm.  Maybe that was the answer here, but I guess as well that was back up money.  Would he have taken $5mm to start?

Agreed that signing fitz is a woody move. That's why mac isn't offering a penny more than backup money thankfully 

2 hours ago, Jetster said:

Word out of last years camp was that Geno was way ahead of Fitz. As fans we always look at things through the eye of a needle but the coaches see a lot more than we do. I know I'm in the minority but with Petty not ready, Hack just brought in I'd love to see what Geno could do in Gaileys offense with Marshall, Decker, Enunwa, Amaro, Forte & Powell. Please don't bring up the Oakland game, the entire team was a no show, especially the defense. The Jets offense struggled when Powell was out in every game this year including the final. Was he available in Oakland? I don't remember. Geno got a whole HUMBLING year to see what it takes to be a successful QB and teammate in the NFL.

He was leading Fitz while Fitz was rehabbing a broken leg.

I will root for whoever starts.  If Geno starts, and plays decent, that's an interesting dilemma.  It would take $ to re sign him, but do you know what you really have.  Geno wasn't really given much to play with when he started, and he shouldn't have started as a rookie, tell Rex got Sanchez hurt in the Snoop Bowl. 

16 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

Warfish pretty much nailed it.

Unless Geno has made incredible strides in the last year (not entirely impossible to be fair) then he's simply not an NFL starter. I think he's a competent backup who has the physical talent to win you any individual game but he just lacks any sort consistency and his composure in the pocket is amateurish. 

Fitz wasn't "carried" by anything. It's a complete myth. He had a good pair of WR's and a decent running game, but that was offset by having one of the worst offensive lines in the game. He was one of the most pressured QB's in the league and one of the least sacked. It's amazing how often his detractors play that down or even ignore it altogether His decisiveness under pressure – Passing and Running – As well his ability to get ball out quickly were the main reasons our offence was able to function how it was. While Gailey deserves some credit too there's absolutely no chance that happens with Geno, who has never been part of anything but an offence which was historically awful. 

I don't think there's a viable alternative to Fitzpatrick for this season. Not on the roster there isn't anyway. Geno wont last two games before the fans completely turn on him and everyone knows that. The organisation is trying to compete - As they should be coming off a 10-6 season. Some of the fans here are simply always planning to fail, it's such a losing mentality - Trying to play down the 10 wins, trying to talk up the long term without worrying about the fact that we actually have a decent team right now! 

Hypotheticals for next season and excuse making for his previous seasons all over the place. It's almost like I've seen it before. Anyways, I can only smile at it all because it’s so obvious Fitz will be back – reading between the lines of everything that’s coming from the Jets. He IS the plan and we’ll be stuck with our record setting passer for another year. At least. Yeah boyeee. 

mccags used a 4th rounder last year (and a 7th to move up) to get petty, a 6th rounder this year for fitz and a 2nd rounder this year for hack.  that's how much he sees geno as a viable starter.

There's no money now to pay Fitz. So that money will have to come from restructures of other deals on the books that will push his salary forward into future years. And for what? A win or two? Maybe a .500 season? Very short-sighted reasoning. Rather save the money, and get a comp pick in 2018. 

Plus unused cap space rolls forward, so any money used this year directly takes from what would be available next year

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

LOL at calling it a Woody Johnson move. This is Ryan Fitzpatrick. Not exactly Cristiano Ronaldo in the revenue production. If Woody wants to compete this season then it seems he's a better fan than most here. 

MacCagnan will be absolutely slaughtered by the media if he goes back to Geno - It would be career suicide. They're already laughing at the very notion that he might start. The fans will turn on them too, even the ones who think they wont.

Long term planning is all nice in theory but when the balls are being fumbled and shut outs pile up there'll be few arguing it's all part of the plan, especially when we'll be saying it's exactly where we were two years ago. If he starts Geno then he'll have one foot out the door before Hackenberg even sees the field. Losing is not popular. Winning is. Fitz returns.

Fitzpatrick owes his fat bank account and franchise record stats last year to Chan Gailey's QB friendly system. The entire league understands this, which is why he's still a free agent. Fitz's numbers last year are best represented by the phrase, "lies, damned lies, and statistics." Gailey has a history of getting a lot out of lesser QBs, players like Fitz, Kordell Stewart, Tyler Thigpen. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Geno had his best year as a pro starting this year. In fact, I'd expect it. Geno has more physical talent than any of those guys. 

The Jets don't want Fitz starting for more than one year, anyway. Why not save that money and get a decent comp pick back in 2018 to boot (unless Geno shocks the world and the Jets resign him)? 

Spending a lot of money for one tough, likely non-playoff year would be short sighted. And this mentoring thing is WAY overrated. Fitz isn't looking to mentor anyone, he's looking to start and get paid accordingly. 

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

It wasn't rumor regarding Geno playing better than Fitz in camp, it was reported by every Jet & Geno hating media scribe that was allowed to attend the camp workouts. Cimini & Mehta were both extolling Genos command of the offense, they reported the difference wasn't even close. The Jets started hot with Fitz at QB & there was no way Bowles could not stick with him all the way through. It was the right choice, and Fitz was making only 5 million I believe. They're offering a 2 million dollar raise reportedly.

Tells me everything I need to know. Bill Obrien is no dummy, why did he cut Fitz loose? Because you can't fool the defense with Fitz, his arm is just not strong enough for certain throws. Look at his film from last year, he literally has to wind up, really spread his legs to get zip on the ball. Has Rex ever lost to Fitz? Why would that change? (He beat him while his team showed up with their bags packed). Rex can't game plan Geno running for 35 yards on 1 of his all out blitzes. 

Fitz is a hold the fort guy, the 8-8 fort. What's the point really if signing him means cutting any young players?

Geno got punched what barely two weeks into camp and they rarely practice with pads on anymore. Fitzpatrick was coming off of a broken leg...who cares

2 minutes ago, slats said:

Fitzpatrick owes his fat bank account and franchise record stats last year to Chan Gailey's QB friendly system. The entire league understands this, which is why he's still a free agent. Fitz's numbers last year are best represented by the phrase, "lies, damned lies, and statistics." Gailey has a history of getting a lot out of lesser QBs, players like Fitz, Kordell Stewart, Tyler Thigpen. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Geno had his best year as a pro starting this year. In fact, I'd expect it. Geno has more physical talent than any of those guys. 

The Jets don't want Fitz starting for more than one year, anyway. Why not save that money and get a decent comp pick back in 2018 to boot (unless Geno shocks the world and the Jets resign him)? 

Spending a lot of money for one tough, likely non-playoff year would be short sighted. And this mentoring thing is WAY overrated. Fitz isn't looking to mentor anyone, he's looking to start and get paid accordingly. 

No coordinator in the league can cure taking stupid sacks and being careless with the ball. In his one appearance last year he went back to doing mind numbingly stupid things. Geno's physical talent isn't even all that to get excited about. His arm is ok and he's got a long throwing motion. Fitzpatrick's one of the better scramblers in football.

The facts are simply that Fitz ran the offense well and Geno didn't and he had 29 starts to prove himself. Sure I'd like to see how Geno would do after a year of sitting on the bench but this isn't a development league and we are not in a rebuilding year. The Jets are a legit contender in 2016. And if we get in the playoffs you never know the team could get hot. There is no doubt our best chance to win this year is with Fitz. 

bwahahahahahahahahaha

Jets GM says he's 'excited to see' what Geno Smith can do if he's starting QB

By Jared Dubin | Staff Writer

Are you familiar with the saying, "If you have two quarterbacks, you don't have one?" Well, the New York Jets have three quarterbacks, and they're hoping to have four. Do with that what you will.

The Jets have spent the entire offseason dancing around Ryan Fitzpatrick, each hoping the other side will blink in their standstill negotiations. Fitzpatrick put up far better numbers last season than he had over the rest of his career and reportedly wants to be paid in accordance with those numbers, while the Jets want to pay him like last season was an outlier for a joureyman QB that had never previously been more than a below-average starter. And so Fitz has sat on the open market while the Jets spent the offseason withGeno Smith and Bryce Petty as the only quarterbacks on the roster.

Then last week's draft came around, and the Jets added former Penn State passer Christian Hackenberg to the mix. They used their second-round pick on Hackenberg, something teams don't normally do unless that at least view the player as a potential starter. The last second-round pick the Jets spent on a quarterback was on Smith, who wound up starting during his first season as a result of an injury to Mark Sanchez.

Smith started for the team in 2013 and 2014, and entered last offseason as the probable starter yet again, but a punch to the jaw from IK Enemkpali thrust Fitzpatrick into the lineup. He never relinquished the spot, even after Smith returned to the field.

The Jets have spent the entire offseason expressin their wish to bring Fitzpatrick back into the fold, even while refusing to meet his contract demands. Everyone from the coach to the owner to several players has stated they want him back. Add that to the fact that the Jets have drafted a quarterback each of the last two years and it doesn't seem like the have all that much confidence in the idea of "Geno Smith, starting quarterback."

But general manager Mike Maccagnan went on The Michael Kay Show on Monday and stated that he's "excited" to see what Geno can do if he's the starter this season.

“Going forward, you always have contingency plans,” Maccagnan said, per Newsday. “In the NFL, it's kind of like playing chess. At some point in time, you get down to where you run out of moves. We're not at that stage yet.

“Right now, Geno has been a starter for us, and actually played quite well prior to getting hurt last year, and was doing a good job in the offseason. So we're kind of excited to see what Geno can do, coming back. And we feel good about that.”

Smith was the Jets' starter for 29 games across the 2013 and 2014 seasons -- we have a general idea of what he can do. He completed 57.5 percent of his passes at 6.9 yards per attempt while throwing 25 touchdowns against 34 interceptions. New York went 11-18 in those games. That performance is likely what led the Jets to select a QB in the middle rounds of the 2015 draft, hoping to develop him into a potential starter. (The wisdom of that particular strategy notwithstanding.)

geno-starter.jpg
Geno Smith got a vote of confidence from his GM. (USATSI)

It also likely factored into the decision to take another QB in the second round just three years after selecting Smith there. So even if Maccagnan is publicly expressed confidence in his ability to be the starter, his actions tell another story. He's spent a bunch of his draft capital on quarterbacks during his two seasons as GM. That's not something you do if you're that confident in the ability of a 25-year old quarterback.

Then again, Maccagnan doesn't seem all that eager to have Hackenberg start right away, either. “With any player coming into the league, it is definitely a maturation process and it doesn't matter, again, what position you play,” Maccagnan said. “I think quarterback is probably one of the harder positions to transition into the NFL. I know there's always a desire to have them go out there and play right away. The reality is, though, that it's going to be determined by how he does.

“And I think, my personal opinion is, we'll see where he's at and how he is in terms of assimilating into our offense and our system . . . Some quarterbacks come in and play right away and some do well and some struggle and they go through growing pains.”

5 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

Gailey really threw those TD's to Marshall. Your eyes lie.

Touchdown passes generally vary year to year, but Fitz's season last year was pretty much in line with how he's been as a starter through this career. Granted the schedule was weak, but at least we know he's capable of being an average pro starter. Geno taking silly sacks and coughing up the ball...you just can't start those types of guys. And as we know Fitz rarely gets sacked or fumbles in the pocket.

18 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

The facts are simply that Fitz ran the offense well and Geno didn't and he had 29 starts to prove himself. Sure I'd like to see how Geno would do after a year of sitting on the bench but this isn't a development league and we are not in a rebuilding year. The Jets are a legit contender in 2016. And if we get in the playoffs you never know the team could get hot. There is no doubt our best chance to win this year is with Fitz. 

Geno never had a chance to run this offense with his OC and these weapons.  he had about 3 qtrs against oak and did put up 20 pts while Marshall got hurt during that game as well.

I prefer Fitz for one more year but the chances of winning w/ either Fitz or geno are pretty similar.

3 hours ago, Jetster said:

If Geno played the way Fitz did in Buffalo last year, Jet fans would want his head on the end of a flaming pointed stick. Boneheaded? How about being in FG position & literally taking the snap & staring down Decker the whole way & throwing it directly into the hands of the defender that had better position than Decker. But instead it's OMG we better get Fitz back, he's got an epic beard & he's Mangolds best buddy & did you see his crazy eyes when his buddy Mangold lifted him after that TD? Sorry, that last game was all I needed to see, he's a 12 year vet, if anything he's gonna get worse with teams seeing last years film & facing much stronger defenses. It took him overtime to beat the 32nd ranked defense (NY Giants), and that took an epic 10 point comeback because up until they point he SUCKED BALLS! Everyone always forgets the 1st 3 quarters of a comeback,lol.  So, let's see what happened, the 32nd ranked defense got tired in the 4th quarter. He really played some sh*t defenses. (Didn't Brees drop 55 points on the Giants & throw only 3 incompletions,lol?)

It's the same irrational approach that always happens when discussing Fitz and Geno. Most fans know of Fitzpatrick because he was in our division, however, most never watched the majority of Fitz games so his boneheaded decisions are always excused because not only did they not see it but it didnt happen in a Jets Jersey. Furthermore, people who support Geno arent disregarding his past, what they're saying is based on him being young with no talent and crappy coaching that this situation could benefit him. This is the SAME EXACT THING we're saying about Christian Hackenberg right now, the only difference is he played for Penn and it wasnt in a Jets Jersey so he gets a pass.

Fitz entire decade career gets a pass yet people continue to talk about the "around the back fumble" that happened in Geno's 4th ever professional game. The same people completely forget his 5th professional game going into Atlanta and getting a come-from-behind win against Matty Ice and the Falcons. This is the same people who will talk about Geno's boneheaded decisions in the Oakland game yet wont talk about the boneheaded decision by Fitz which caused him to get injured which is why Geno was in the game in the first f'ing place. "Hypocrisy" is what you call it. The discussion isnt rational at all. If people support Fitz then great, but putting down Geno Smith by continuing to talk about his faults along with the "fumble" that happened in his 4th professional game while continuously ignoring Fitz faults while never bringing up how he "threw 3 INT's in the 4th qtr to end our season" doesnt suddenly make Fitz Look good. Lastly, that 3 INT game by Fitz wasnt his 4th professional game but Fitz 112th professional game. We cant talk about that though. 

5 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

It's the same irrational approach that always happens when discussing Fitz and Geno. Most fans know of Fitzpatrick because he was in our division, however, most never watched the majority of Fitz games so his boneheaded decisions are always excused because not only did they not see it but it didnt happen in a Jets Jersey. Furthermore, people who support Geno arent disregarding his past, what they're saying is based on him being young with no talent and crappy coaching that this situation could benefit him. This is the SAME EXACT THING we're saying about Christian Hackenberg right now, the only difference is he played for Penn and it wasnt in a Jets Jersey so he gets a pass.

Fitz entire decade career gets a pass yet people continue to talk about the "around the back fumble" that happened in Geno's 4th ever professional game. The same people completely forget his 5th professional game going into Atlanta and getting a come-from-behind win against Matty Ice and the Falcons. This is the same people who will talk about Geno's boneheaded decisions in the Oakland game yet wont talk about the boneheaded decision by Fitz which caused him to get injured which is why Geno was in the game in the first f'ing place. "Hypocrisy" is what you call it. The discussion isnt rational at all. If people support Fitz then great, but putting down Geno Smith by continuing to talk about his faults along with the "fumble" that happened in his 4th professional game while continuously ignoring Fitz faults while never bringing up how he "threw 3 INT's in the 4th qtr to end our season" doesnt suddenly make Fitz Look good. Lastly, that 3 INT game by Fitz wasnt his 4th professional game but Fitz 112th professional game. We cant talk about that though. 

You might want to add  leadership skills to the equation as another factor.  Geno has none.  He is neither respected nor liked.  Geno had no rapport with anyone on the team.  Not so with Fitz. Fitz is very well liked.  For what any of that is worth.

2 hours ago, nyjunc said:

Geno never had a chance to run this offense with his OC and these weapons.  he had about 3 qtrs against oak and did put up 20 pts while Marshall got hurt during that game as well.

I prefer Fitz for one more year but the chances of winning w/ either Fitz or geno are pretty similar.

I don't get what the big fuss that Geno = tank next season.

I guess if I lived life as an ESPN canned soundbyte 

5 minutes ago, Dcat said:

You might want to add  leadership skills to the equation as another factor.  Geno has none.  He is neither respected nor liked.  Geno had no rapport with anyone on the team.  Not so with Fitz. Fitz is very well liked.  For what any of that is worth.

Thats funny, because while Fitz was hitting the market realizing that he had no market, Willie Colon publicly stated that if Fitz didnt come back that Geno deserved another shot given that he felt like last season humbled him and that he thought that Geno was a good QB. 

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/03/willie_colon_if_ryan_fitzpatrick_walks_geno_smith.html

Now, this is the same Willie Colon that publicly blasted Geno, so we cant call favoritism here. We also had guys like Calvin Pryor jump on twitter to state his support for Geno once Fitz became a free agent.

Fitzpatrick wasnt the same player today that he was at 25. Fitzpatrick was probably the oldest player on the team outside of Calvin Pace. Geno Smith is 25 years old. Lastly, if people want Fitz around in order to teach guys about leadership then wasnt Geno a pupil of that leadership last season? Or does that not count because its Geno? 

14 minutes ago, Dcat said:

I like Fitz better than I like Geno, too. I just don't know if I like him $7-8 (or more) million plus a comp pick or two more. 

5 hours ago, slats said:

I don't think there's a big difference in the number of wins the team will get this year between starting Geno or Fitz. I just don't. Fitz was carried by his supporting cast more than he lifted the team. Geno would get most of them back (maybe an upgrade at RB), along with getting Amaro back, and having the arm to get something out of Devin Smith (who's a complete waste with Fitz under center). I also don't think that Fitz is needed here to mentor Hack and Petty. That's what we have a QB coach and offensive coordinator for. 

There's a lot of upside to this plan, even if there's a short term drop off in wins. First, the team saves $7-10-whatever it takes million against the cap. Second, Geno gets to play in Gaileys system, with these weapons, and maybe demonstrates some real improvement in his fourth year in the league. It wouldn't be the first time such a thing happened. If he either played well enough for the Jets to want to retain him, or well enough to get a big contract from someone else (netting a high comp pick) it's a major positive for the franchise. Everyone, even -I think- Fitz' biggest supporters, recognize that the Jets want to move on from Fitz ASAP. Geno has a better chance (however slim) of being the Jets long term solution at QB only because Fitz has no chance of being their long term solution. None. 

Save a huge chunk of cap space and (most likely) get a decent comp pick in two years in exchange for a win or two in a year where I don't expect to legitimately compete for a post season berth anyway? Doesn't sound like a terrible plan to me. 

If another team signs Fitz, we get a comp pick too, right?   So add that to the don't overpay Fitz side of the ledger.   

Funny you say for what it's worth, because that's ultimately the question. It's not worth 10-16m per year.

7 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

If another team signs Fitz, we get a comp pick too, right?   So add that to the don't overpay Fitz side of the ledger.   

Sure, but while the Jets marketing department can get people to spend 10s of thousands on PSLs and pay for worthless preseason games...  they may not be able to succeed in selling Fitz to any other team.  That's asking a lot at his current demands (or even a third of his current demands).

6 hours ago, Colgateman said:

What if geno pulled a flacco? What would we do with him then? 

6 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Things young QB's could learn from Fitz:

1) How to play the position like a professional.

2) How to run when needed and pick up first downs as a result.

3) The level of toughness needed for the position.

4) How to lead a huddle and make your teammates believe in you.

Things young QB's could learn from Geno:

1) How to get your face punched in from a teammate over $600.

2) How not to tell time.

3) How to be a turnover machine.

4) How to sulk on the sidelines and avoid your teammates after yet another turnover.

You forgot to add number 5 and 6

Fitz: 

5) How NOT to negotiate a new contract
6) How to make the playoffs... no wait.

Geno: 

5. How to deal with public embarrassment, and ridicule.  

6. How not to take playing quarterback in the NFL for granted because one stupid decision (not paying his debts) can cause you to blow it all. 

6 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

You forgot to add number 5 and 6

Fitz: 

5) How NOT to negotiate a new contract
6) How to make the playoffs... no wait.

Geno: 

5. How to deal with public embarrassment, and ridicule.  

6. How not to take playing quarterback in the NFL for granted because one stupid decision (not paying his debts) can cause you to blow it all. 

Geno hasn't made the playoffs either, so its a wash there.  As for the contract thing, no one should ever be begrudging a player for trying to make as much as he can out of a sport that straight up lied to its players about the dangers of concussions.  Isn't Wilkerson still a player worth listening to despite his contract battles?  How about Revis? 

1 hour ago, Villain The Foe said:

Great post! The guy with 12 years of experience threw 3 picks in the 4th quarter of a MUST WIN game. It's mind blowing to me how fans just give up on a QB so quickly. Fitz just had his best year EVER, and he 33 years old! He's 8 years older than Geno.

I don't love Geno Smith, in fact I was just as frustrated as most fans but it's absolute FACT that Geno played with the worst group of offensive players in the league. Even when they brought in Decker he got hurt in that 1st game @ Greenbay when he pulled his hamstring and played the entire year with no explosion at all. I don't like that he still holds onto the ball too long, runs out of bounds behind the LOS, but I always go back to what Steve Young has said over & over. "These young QBs are just not given enough time and proper coaching". Steve Young also said on MNF that he wouldn't want to play for a coach like Rex that ignores the offense like he does. He thought no one could succeed in that atmosphere. 

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Geno hasn't made the playoffs either, so its a wash there. 

:o Really?

Well Petty and Hack haven't either.  Screw them.  We should only draft players that have NFL playoff experience.

7 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Geno hasn't made the playoffs either, so its a wash there.  As for the contract thing, no one should ever be begrudging a player for trying to make as much as he can out of a sport that straight up lied to its players about the dangers of concussions.  Isn't Wilkerson still a player worth listening to despite his contract battles?  How about Revis? 

tumblr_mixqwnW0aP1rg0lgoo1_500.gif

It was meant to be tongue in cheek... 

Here's Drew Brees line from his game against the same NY Giants defense that we struggled with for 3 quarters & won with a great drive by Fitzy after the Giants missed the winning FG.

Drew Brees vs The Giants

39 of 50 for 505 yards & 7 TDs...LMAO! Fitz really did face some horrific defenses last year.

Archived