Is Geno a leader?

BowlesMovement

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, BowlesMovement said:

I don't think he is the type of leader I want or the one the Jets need long term.  But I also don't think he needs to be a true "leader" to have success in the league.  Players will follow if his game steps up and he starts producing wins.  He doesn't need to be vocal or a pillar of the community or even a nice guy or funny guy.  If he produces wins, players will respond.  With that I still think he can produce this year and the Jets can let him walk and get a nice compensatory pick for him the season after.  I still think that is the Jets long term goal.

The answer is NO. And truthfully, if every Jets fan is being honest with themselves then there wouldn't be any argument about Geno. Getting popped in the jaw because you chose to stiff a guy over a measly $600, illustrates his immaturity and total lack of respect and leadership skills. It is the very incident (above and beyond his truly BAD play) that PROVES he is not a leader. It also shows he never will be a leader. NEVER. This is why I want the Jets to rid themselves of all the dead wood. I want QB's belonging to this organization that can illustrate leadership qualities. Guys that other players can look up. Geno is the complete opposite of anything positive. He's a punk.

34 minutes ago, Mainejet said:

The answer is NO. And truthfully, if every Jets fan is being honest with themselves then there wouldn't be any argument about Geno. Getting popped in the jaw because you chose to stiff a guy over a measly $600, illustrates his immaturity and total lack of respect and leadership skills. It is the very incident (above and beyond his truly BAD play) that PROVES he is not a leader. It also shows he never will be a leader. NEVER. This is why I want the Jets to rid themselves of all the dead wood. I want QB's belonging to this organization that can illustrate leadership qualities. Guys that other players can look up. Geno is the complete opposite of anything positive. He's a punk.

I want...I want....I want....geez enough already with you cry babies.   If you have an available QB in mind, please make the case for him and stop whining simply about what you want when there is nothing available to satisfy that want.  No one ever said the NFL was going to be easy.  Be concrete or be quiet!   

5 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

I want...I want....I want....geez enough already with you cry babies.   If you have an available QB in mind, please make the case for him and stop whining simply about what you want when there is nothing available to satisfy that want.  No one ever said the NFL was going to be easy.  Be concrete or be quiet!   

I want the sh*tty QB named Geno Smith to not play for my favorite team ever again. 

Is that concrete enough for you?   

As for naming a different QB, that would be any other.  

Just now, BowlesMovement said:

Strongly disagree

Obviously.  I learned about leadership in the U.S. Air Force and the corporate world sees it similar.  We all need failure to sharpen our leadership.  Geno has failed on the big stage but maybe he can use these failures to become a better leader.  

1 minute ago, Jetscode1 said:

Obviously.  I learned about leadership in the U.S. Air Force and the corporate world sees it similar.  We all need failure to sharpen our leadership.  Geno has failed on the big stage but maybe he can use these failures to become a better leader.  

I learned about leadership watching the Ninja Turtles. And I don't remember seeing Leonardo fail at much.

Just now, Jetscode1 said:

Maybe you should find a better show.

There was one episode where the CEO of the world's biggest pizza dough corporation got kidnapped and then the Turtles sent Casey Jones undercover in a suit to see what the deal was. Otherwise they were facing a worldwide pizza shortage. Is that what you were getting at?

For reference here is Casey Jones in a corporate leadership setting:

corporateraiders

7 minutes ago, Jetscode1 said:

I'm not going to tout where I learned about leadership on an Internet message board, but it cannot be learned if it's not there to begin with. It can be brought out or enhanced of its there, but some people just have no leadership ability, and failure is NOT what brings it out

4 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

There was one episode where the CEO of the world's biggest pizza dough corporation got kidnapped and then the Turtles sent Casey Jones undercover in a suit to see what the deal was. Otherwise they were facing a worldwide pizza shortage. Is that what you were getting at?

corporateraiders

Nope. Geno's young so I'm hopeful.  If Jim Plunkett can turn it around maybe Geno can.

7 minutes ago, BowlesMovement said:

I'm not going to tout where I learned about leadership on an Internet message board, but it cannot be learned if it's not there to begin with. It can be brought out or enhanced of its there, but some people just have no leadership ability, and failure is NOT what brings it out

It's a skill set.  All can learn yet many choose not to.  Geno's young.  I do not know the man but I'm hoping he could step up.

2 hours ago, Mainejet said:

I rarely if ever agree with your posts. However, this is 100% spot on. 

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

corporateraiders

Brilliant.

1 hour ago, Jetscode1 said:

Geno failed for 2 years and rather than act like a leader and learn from his suckage he chose the arrogant path and got his face smashed in. Yeah that's real leadership JC

1 minute ago, detectivekimble said:

I don't think I've ever seen a quote -- anonymous or not -- saying that Geno is an a$$hole or a bad leader.

He's just not a good starting QB.  Most of that has to do with not being able to figure out where to go with the ball quickly enough.

do you actually think players or coaches are going to come out and give an interview stating that Geno is a bad Leader ??? Really ?

Is what happened last year not enough to convince you the guys a total a$$hole ?

The only reason people think Geno can be good is because we have twitter and it's 2016. The overcompensating bro factor is too high. I'm hoping Vernon Adams in the CFL will calm everyone down, but I doubt it.

2 hours ago, BowlesMovement said:

No it's not, leadership is a personality trait, it can be improved, but it's not a learned trait. 

I agree it's not a learned trait but just because Geno doesn't show leadership does not mean he doesn't have the ability to.  All we need is Geno to be like Eli Manning.  Play the game and shut up.  I believe he is maturing.  I don't mind giving him another shot based on the fact I dont believe there's a better QB available at the moment.  I honestly think Geno can put up the same numbers as Fitz with Marshall and Decker.  

39 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

do you actually think players or coaches are going to come out and give an interview stating that Geno is a bad Leader ??? Really ?

Is what happened last year not enough to convince you the guys a total a$$hole ?

Yes. 

Singletary asked Davis to "hit the showers" in the middle of a game, then proceeded to rip him a new one in front of the press....during an interview. 

All we've seen from the front office, coaches and players in respect to Geno Smith is this:

Macc:

Jets GM says he's 'excited to see' what Geno Smith can do if he's starting QB

By Jared Dubin | Staff Writer

May 3, 2016 8:46 am ET

Are you familiar with the saying, "If you have two quarterbacks, you don't have one?" Well, the New York Jets have three quarterbacks, and they're hoping to have four. Do with that what you will.

The Jets have spent the entire offseason dancing around Ryan Fitzpatrick, each hoping the other side will blink in their standstill negotiations. Fitzpatrick put up far better numbers last season than he had over the rest of his career and reportedly wants to be paid in accordance with those numbers, while the Jets want to pay him like last season was an outlier for a joureyman QB that had never previously been more than a below-average starter. And so Fitz has sat on the open market while the Jets spent the offseason withGeno Smith and Bryce Petty as the only quarterbacks on the roster.

Then last week's draft came around, and the Jets added former Penn State passer Christian Hackenberg to the mix. They used their second-round pick on Hackenberg, something teams don't normally do unless that at least view the player as a potential starter. The last second-round pick the Jets spent on a quarterback was on Smith, who wound up starting during his first season as a result of an injury to Mark Sanchez.

Smith started for the team in 2013 and 2014, and entered last offseason as the probable starter yet again, but a punch to the jaw from IK Enemkpali thrust Fitzpatrick into the lineup. He never relinquished the spot, even after Smith returned to the field.

The Jets have spent the entire offseason expressin their wish to bring Fitzpatrick back into the fold, even while refusing to meet his contract demands. Everyone from the coach to the owner to several players has stated they want him back. Add that to the fact that the Jets have drafted a quarterback each of the last two years and it doesn't seem like the have all that much confidence in the idea of "Geno Smith, starting quarterback."

But general manager Mike Maccagnan went on The Michael Kay Show on Monday and stated that he's "excited" to see what Geno can do if he's the starter this season.

“Going forward, you always have contingency plans,” Maccagnan said, per Newsday. “In the NFL, it's kind of like playing chess. At some point in time, you get down to where you run out of moves. We're not at that stage yet.

“Right now, Geno has been a starter for us, and actually played quite well prior to getting hurt last year, and was doing a good job in the offseason. So we're kind of excited to see what Geno can do, coming back. And we feel good about that.”

Smith was the Jets' starter for 29 games across the 2013 and 2014 seasons -- we have a general idea of what he can do. He completed 57.5 percent of his passes at 6.9 yards per attempt while throwing 25 touchdowns against 34 interceptions. New York went 11-18 in those games. That performance is likely what led the Jets to select a QB in the middle rounds of the 2015 draft, hoping to develop him into a potential starter. (The wisdom of that particular strategy notwithstanding.)

Geno Smith got a vote of confidence from his GM. (USATSI)

It also likely factored into the decision to take another QB in the second round just three years after selecting Smith there. So even if Maccagnan is publicly expressed confidence in his ability to be the starter, his actions tell another story. He's spent a bunch of his draft capital on quarterbacks during his two seasons as GM. That's not something you do if you're that confident in the ability of a 25-year old quarterback.

Then again, Maccagnan doesn't seem all that eager to have Hackenberg start right away, either. “With any player coming into the league, it is definitely a maturation process and it doesn't matter, again, what position you play,” Maccagnan said. “I think quarterback is probably one of the harder positions to transition into the NFL. I know there's always a desire to have them go out there and play right away. The reality is, though, that it's going to be determined by how he does.

“And I think, my personal opinion is, we'll see where he's at and how he is in terms of assimilating into our offense and our system . . . Some quarterbacks come in and play right away and some do well and some struggle and they go through growing pains.”

Topics: Bryce Petty, Geno Smith, IK Enemkpali, Mark Sanchez, Ryan Fitzpatrick, New York Jets, NFL

OC:

We already know what Chan said about Geno. 

Todd Bowles:

Todd Bowles: Geno Smith has learned from IK Enemkpali incident

Updated March 23, 2016 9:38 AM
By Kimberley A. Martin  kimberley.martin@newsday.com 

Reprints  + -

Geno Smith #7 of the New York Jets looks on in the first half against the Philadelphia Eagles at MetLife Stadium on Sunday, Sep. 27, 2015 in East Rutherford, New Jersey. Photo Credit: Jim McIsaac

BOCA RATON, Fla. — “The Punch” may have cost Geno Smith his starting job, but Jets coach Todd Bowles said it also provided the young quarterback with an opportunity to prove his mental toughness.

“He always worked hard,” Bowles said yesterday morning at the AFC coaches breakfast at the annual NFL owners meetings. “But he kept his head down and kept working and he moved on. And that’s tough to do. That’s tough to do.”

Latest Jets stories

Jets official: ‘We have high hopes for Hack’

Darrelle Revis parts ways with longtime agents

Jets’ Petty out to prove he belongs in NFL

Harris: Jets have shifted ‘defensive philosophy’

Gailey raves about rookie QB Hackenberg

Smith was the team’s No. 1 quarterback before a training-camp altercation changed the course of his career and the franchise. Then-teammate Ikemefuna Enemkpali was kicked off the team on Aug. 11 after punching Smith in the face in the Jets’ locker room over an unpaid $600 debt.

STORYBowles on Fitz: ‘Things will work out’STORYRGIII’s baggage not a factor for Jets’ Bowles

A healthy Smith returned to the practice field a month later following jaw surgery, but by then the Jets had put their trust in his backup, Ryan Fitzpatrick.

But if the 33-year-old free-agent quarterback doesn’t re-sign with the team, Bowles said Smith and third-stringer Bryce Petty “could be an option.” The coach also noted Smith, 25, has matured quite a bit since the incident, adding: “I think he handles situations differently than I saw him earlier in the year.”

So what more does the former 2013 second-round pick have to do to become a starting quarterback again?

“He just has to stay the path and keep doing what he’s doing,” Bowles said. “ . . . I think he just has to get an opportunity.”

Asked how “The Punch” affected Smith, Bowles said: “You learn from your mistakes, as we all do. …There’s a lot of people that could destroy your team after going through something like that, but he was a team player, he showed up on time <<<<<for you @BowlesMovement he worked hard and he kept his head down. And I respect him for that.”

Questioned further, the coach later clarified his word choice.

Said Bowles: “Maybe ‘mistake’ was a bad word. “It was an experience and you learn from your experience.”

Calvin Pryor:

Calvin Pryor tweets support for Geno Smith as Jets quarterback

quarterbacks. 3/23/16 (Video by Darryl Slater | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com)
Dom Cosentino | NJ Advance Media for NJ.comThere is still plenty of time for the Jets to work out a deal to keep free-agent quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick. But in the event they can't, Geno Smith has been floated as a possible starting option by head coach Todd Bowles.

Safety Calvin Pryor—who's never afraid to speak his mind—would have no problem with that:

Pryor also had a reply at the ready in case anyone thought he was subtweeting a diss at Fitzpatrick:

Why does Pryor think Smith can do well if he becomes the starter again? 

This is certainly an interesting point. During Smith's rookie year, his top two receiving targets were Jeremy Kerley and David Nelson. Both have since been cut by the Jets; Nelson was gone in the middle of the following season, and Kerley basically spent 2015 as the Jets' No. 4 or No. 5 receiver.

In his second season, Smith had Eric Decker, but Decker was hampered a hamstring injury for a significant portion of the year. When Decker was either out or hindered, it was a bit of a problem for the Jets' passing game, which produced no other receivers with more than 38 catches.

17 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Yes. 

Singletary asked Davis to "hit the showers" in the middle of a game, then proceeded to rip him a new one in front of the press....during an interview. 

yea, how did head coaching work out for mike singletary?

Archived