per Ian Rapoport no deal for Fitz before camp

F.Chowds

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Dispute it then.  Prove how wrong it is to say that most QBs, no matter the position taken fail and bust.  

You think that a high pick on a QB guarantees their success?  Are we this braindead now

Face palm all you want.  Unreal

Dispute what, you're just mouth foaming again.

Higher Picks (as in upper half first round) have a higher chance to be franchise QB's.  I don't need to prove it, others (i.e the professional analysts) have already done so. 

Nothing is guaranteed and no one is claiming otherwise.  Neither of us is guaranteed to wake up tomorrow.

But being a top 1st round draft pick very much increases the odds in your favor.  Better odds =/= no chance of bust.  Try thinking beyond black/white arguments.

sh*t, are we really debating this?

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
53 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

The topic of our conversation was Fitzpatrick. Entirely possible that Bowles was referring to Lee seeing as it would be on the eve of TC and I'd imagine they want him there for the full camp. Unfortunately posting the rest of the texts would result in me having to redacted like 75% of the info for his job safety and the job safety of other people in our circle of connections.

Thank you

I really really appreciate you posting this information.

I remember that there was a member on a site who had inside info and it really did help the posters and I also appreciate you respecting your friend's anonymity and job security.

So thanks again... :) 

There are TWO tragedies about to occur as a result of this..........

1) Fitz is being a fool and he is hurting himself, probably forever. Each and every day he continues this hold out he is seriously diminishing his ability to help this team this season. Fitz is not a great QB. He MUST have coaching to be successful and he'll be progressively less and less effective for this season and potentially, end his career (if he holds out).

2) The Jets on the other hand is the main tragedy here. They lose Fitz and they will SUCK this season. Not that they would have been a whole better with Fitz, maybe two games but who knows. This will cause serious criticism to the Jets FO for screwing the pooch on this one.

There are two very sad stories about to unfold. Take your pick on which one makes you the saddest....

12 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

Thank you

I really really appreciate you posting this information.

I remember that there was a member on a site who had inside info and it really did help the posters and I also appreciate you respecting your friend's anonymity and job security.

So thanks again... :) 

That being said, if the story is true, I"d be shocked if somebody doesn't get in some sh!t tomorrow at FP.  The Jets read all the blogs/forums, so they probably won't appreciate an intern sharing info outside the walls of FP.

5 minutes ago, AFJF said:

That being said, if the story is true, I"d be shocked if somebody doesn't get in some sh!t tomorrow at FP.  The Jets read all the blogs/forums, so they probably won't appreciate an intern sharing info outside the walls of FP.

pink-slip.png

1 hour ago, EM31 said:

If there is a PR campaign going on then I think the next thing we hear is universal praise for how much improvement Geno has made.  Maybe it is true maybe it is not but I think we hear that in either case.

PR from the jets about smith? because that's exactly what's been going on in recent days

18 minutes ago, AFJF said:

hopefully the interns are the ones who are ordered to read the forum

If Fitz strolls in at the 11th hour and is anointed the starter that will be the first time I've lost some faith in this regime.

You don't give a JAG who has never won anything Brett Favre treatment.  So sick of this clown already..  just let him go.  This 5 month Waltz we have going on is an embarrassment.

49 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Yeah, said friend gave me permission to share this and reviewed what exactly I shared to make sure I removed all trace of who this came from and who it was shared to but he's still sh*tting his pants.  That all being said, he still wanted this out there because he's a huge Jets fan and is definitely pro Fitz.  For his sake I hope what he heard was right because it would suck to potentially get in a huge amount of trouble for something that doesn't happen.  

Like Mike said earlier, there's part of me that questions whether or not he just jumped the gun and the player Bowles was referring too is Darron Lee. That would still be pretty cool.  Just hope that with so much risk involved there's something of substance there.

17 minutes ago, Pac said:

If Fitz strolls in at the 11th hour and is anointed the starter that will be the first time I've lost some faith in this regime.

You don't give a JAG who has never won anything Brett Favre treatment.  So sick of this clown already..  just let him go.  This 5 month Waltz we have going on is an embarrassment.

I'd say it's more "best QB available on a win now team" treatment.

4 hours ago, Warfish said:

Dispute what, you're just mouth foaming again.

Higher Picks (as in upper half first round) have a higher chance to be franchise QB's.  I don't need to prove it, others (i.e the professional analysts) have already done so. 

Nothing is guaranteed and no one is claiming otherwise.  Neither of us is guaranteed to wake up tomorrow.

But being a top 1st round draft pick very much increases the odds in your favor.  Better odds =/= no chance of bust.  Try thinking beyond black/white arguments.

sh*t, are we really debating this?

Your comprehension either sucks or you're just looking to argue.  For a 3rd time, all I said was being picked in the top of the draft and still most QBs fail.  Much more often than succeed.  

Period, nothing more, that's all.  You want to argue that they don't fail as often as lower picks?  No shlt Sherlock.  Would be more interesting if that's what I was saying though.  But again, I wasn't and you're acting like you actually know better while not even understanding what I said. 

Good job

18 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Your comprehension either sucks or you're just looking to argue.  For a 3rd time, all I said was being picked in the top of the draft and still most QBs fail.  Much more often than succeed.  

Period, nothing more, that's all.  You want to argue that they don't fail as often as lower picks?  No shlt Sherlock.  Would be more interesting if that's what I was saying though.  But again, I wasn't and you're acting like you actually know better while not even understanding what I said. 

Good job

This one.

4 hours ago, ylekram said:

hopefully the interns are the ones who are ordered to read the forum

You haven't lived until you have sat in Florham Park in front of a team executive who mentions the forums. While you think to yourself....which one of you bastards just got me in trouble lol.

9 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Pretty simple.  Makes no difference the round, no team believes just because they picked a QB high they're assured he'll develop.  Fact, the vast majority of QBs taken in he first bust.  Just because the majority of elite QBs are first round picks, most still bust.  

Pretty simple.  Have no idea how much the success rate falls in the second round.  

FO did a good sample on this a few years ago. First round yo-yos around 50/50. The dropoff after the first is astounding, particularly for the second round, which has seen the least amount of QBs drafted by a mile. The success rate drops off drastically after the first, but the second is interesting simply because the second round sees the least amount of QBs drafted by quite a bit, presumably because of positional value, relegating the sample to somewhat useless for anything predictive, depending how you look at it. Though it does paint using a second on a QB in not the best light, and it's not that encouraging that the Jets have done this twice in the last five years, but Jets.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2014/nfl-draft-round-round-quarterback-data

13 hours ago, Paradis said:

I can appreciate Macc's decision to "own" the business and do things his way. Whether that includes getting Fitz on board eventually or not - we'll see...

But I personally think the "Fitz can show up in the middle of august and slide into camp" narrative is a giant steaming pile of dog sh*t. Maybe if you're aaron fcking rodgers and you've been playing in GB with same staff for a decade. But otherwise, every sonofab*tch better be here and putting in the time. Nobody, including Fitz can cake walk his a$$ through our schedule this year. Our guys gotta know who to get behind and start gelling with TOMORROW not on August fcking 14th. 

...and for that reason, I wonder if our heralded GM isn't going to learn a lesson the hardway this year.

LOL what a bunch of dogsh*t.  Geno got clocked on Aug 11. Fitz, still healing from a broken leg, never having worked with anyone but Gailey, steps in as the starter and leads the team to 10 wins.  Oh but he didn't make the playoffs. And if we went to the SB and lost, it's would have been his fault too. And if the Jets would have won the SB, Fitz would have had no input.    It's like the saying goes 'you just can't win'. 

12 hours ago, Mogglez said:

I loatheeeee the "a friend of a friend who works for _____ said _____ etc."

But...ironically I got a text message this AM from someone that I'm friends with who is interning with the Jets.  He sent me this:

2PqCcbH.jpg

He doesn't usually mess around with us and as I said, I usually loattttthe this kind of stuff so I really debated whether or not to actually post this. Decided "f*ck it". If he's right, that's awesome.  If not?  Well it's a slow offseason and it's relevant to this thread so no harm, no foul.  Only reason I really went through with it is because I do know for a fact that he is interning with the Jets and is a huge Jets fan.

Obviously anything personal was redacted. If it's true, I just hope we aren't going above or beyond 2 yrs 12Mil per with minimal guarantees in year 2.  That's what first offer reportedly was and, in my opinion, is what Fitzpatrick is worth...maybe even a little more than what he's truly "worth".

Obviously Rapsheet has more "sources" but no one outside this organization seems to have a damn clue what Macc will do so we'll see. I know there's been instances, even here, where news or signings were broke ln by "lesser known" employees so let the countdown begin...

Certainly possible, but I think we will hear about Decker and another player restructuring first

11 hours ago, Pac said:

The Maury Show applause cheering cheer standing ovation

15 hours ago, Mogglez said:

But...ironically I got a text message this AM from someone that I'm friends with who is interning with the Jets.  He sent me this:

2PqCcbH.jpg

He doesn't usually mess around with us and as I said, I usually loattttthe this kind of stuff so I really debated whether or not to actually post this. Decided "f*ck it". If he's right, that's awesome.  If not?  Well it's a slow offseason and it's relevant to this thread so no harm, no foul.  Only reason I really went through with it is because I do know for a fact that he is interning with the Jets and is a huge Jets fan.

Obviously anything personal was redacted. If it's true, I just hope we aren't going above or beyond 2 yrs 12Mil per with minimal guarantees in year 2.  That's what first offer reportedly was and, in my opinion, is what Fitzpatrick is worth...maybe even a little more than what he's truly "worth".

Obviously Rapsheet has more "sources" but no one outside this organization seems to have a damn clue what Macc will do so we'll see. I know there's been instances, even here, where news or signings were broke ln by "lesser known" employees so let the countdown begin...

Do you know how interns are treated? They don't get scoops so that is either made up or oh well it doesn't matter.

It is 9am now I'll wait for the big announcement. ?

16 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Do you know how interns are treated? They don't get scoops so that is either made up or oh well it doesn't matter.

Lol I can actually say that, from what I'm told, the Jets organization (and even the players that they run into) treat their interns very well.  My buddies who intern with them don't have a bad thing to say about anyone there and, out of three, only one is a born and bred fan of the team.

Time will be ticking for my friend now, thats for sure lol.  I know how he ended up getting wind of this, but as I said earlier, going into more detail with the proof would result in blatantly giving away who he is and out of respect for him and his future I can't even give a sliver of the rest of everything.  Wayyyyyyyy too many things that will blow up his spot.

I will say this.  In my gut, with more knowledge of the info and how he got it, I personally believe there is a chance that he may have gotten wind of a Darron Lee signing over Ryan Fitzpatrick.  He stands by his words and who it's about, I'm personally going with my belief (that even he admits wouldn't be SHOCKING considering, again, the details about everything and how he got the info was)...but hopefully he's right regardless of who it is so we'll have SOMETHING to talk about today lol.

5 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Lol I can actually say that, from what I'm told, the Jets organization and the players treat their interns very well.  My buddies there don't have a bad thing to say about anyone there and out of three only one is a born and bred fan of the team.  Time will be ticking for my friend now lol.  I know "how" he ended up getting wind of this, but as I said earlier, doing so would result in blatantly giving away who he is and I out of respect for him and his future I can't even give a sliver of the rest of our group chat texts.  Wayyyyyyyy to many things that will blow up his spot.

I will say this.  In my gut, with more knowledge of the info and how he got it, I personally believe there is a chance that he may have gotten wind of a Darron Lee signing over Ryan Fitzpatrick.  He stands by his words and who it's about, I'm personally going with my belief (that even he admits wouldn't be SHOCKING considering, again, the details about everything and how he got the info was)...but hopefully he's right regardless of who it is so we'll have SOMETHING to talk about today lol.

So you decided to merely narrow it down to three people?

You could have left out the part about him being an intern. 

17 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

Macc has done pretty much everything well but a move like not signing Fitz over what amounts to a few million bucks would turn all that around very quickly if the Jets sh*t the bed with Geno at the helm.

The question will then be... Should Macc have signed Fitz ??  So many including the players, the media, and the fans want this deal done or say this deal should be done. While a move like this wont get Macc fired it will certainly take him down a few notches and put him on the hot seat for the next season.  If his draft prospect Hackenberg sh*ts the bed that's when you start looking at Macc as an owner and think... Did this guy just screw up our window ? Because at that time all those 30+ year old signings will be heading out the door and that's a fairly large group of players.

IMO Macc will get this done there is no chance he puts all his hard work on Geno's shoulders. The players know this team can win now and some of the older ones never had a shot at a SB this may be their last chance think they trust Geno ? Of course they don't or they would not be all over the damn media calling for Fitz to get signed.

Concerning Macc's situation, I would totally agree with this, except for one angle.  That angle I concededly have only past practice of this team to go on, that and the fact that Woody is the owner and how that speaks directly to this issue.  And that angle of course is that Woody may be totally on board with the Jets' current position, and in fact may be the source of it.  And if that is the case, then Macc has little if any exposure here, at least as regards the short term fallout if Fitz is not signed and Smith as I expect would then suck.

We know from the past how the Jets can take a hardline position with a player when they really have no suitable Plan B.  A typical blunder was how they played hardball with Pete Kendall, it blew up in their faces and they ended up playing the awful tandem of Bender and Clarke.

To be clear I am not saying we should think it certain that this is a Woody-generated situation.  But if I had to bet...

And if it is, then it would explain a lot.

13 hours ago, Pac said:

Tell that to Nick Mangold, Eric Decker, Brandon Marshall, and Matt Forte.  Start the best QB you have available, especially one the players know, trust, and like, and doesn't get punched by teammates over a few hundred dollars or throw footballs backwards. 

Somebody posted a good article on the Lee impasse the other day. In that he wants an extra guaranteed year and only the first 19 guys drafted usually get it. But the no. 21 guy did get it. So we're talking about something like 600K. It's too bad because this kid really needs training camp. As for Fitz if Woody wants to shoot himself in the foot again it looks like it could happen. I mean if Fitz is asking for a truly unreasonable amount it would have been leaked. The last counter was 1 year for 12 mil. In terms of the Mehta rumor about multiple offers he gave no information. So if leaked by the Jets what were the offers? Last time they leaked an offer they only gave the press the first year not the entire deal. 

Training camps has started. If I'm the Jets, I move on and annoint Geno the starter. Let him build on the progress he's supposedly made.

I don't believe the hype that Geno needs "competition"..I think last year's fallout is all the motivation this guy needs to turn the page and have a good year with the weapons in place. The skill positions are vastly improved since Geno was last a full time starter.

5 hours ago, Powpow said:

LOL what a bunch of dogsh*t.  Geno got clocked on Aug 11. Fitz, still healing from a broken leg, never having worked with anyone but Gailey, steps in as the starter and leads the team to 10 wins.  Oh but he didn't make the playoffs. And if we went to the SB and lost, it's would have been his fault too. And if the Jets would have won the SB, Fitz would have had no input.    It's like the saying goes 'you just can't win'. 

He was signed and involved with the team throughout the entire offseason. And while he wasn't playing in pre season games he was getting practice reps and establishing timing and feeling for his receivers. This season he hasn't spent one day with the team .

15 hours ago, Mogglez said:

2PqCcbH.jpg

cool!

I mean if the Jets refuse to give Fitz one year for 12 mil. I just wonder what their bottom line is. Esp for a one year deal. Is it 8 mil? You'd think they could give him better than that. At least a small bonus for playing well on a very low backup deal last year. But if the Jets are unwilling to back off of the 3-24 and not offer him a one year contract it says a lot to me. I mean no player gets guaranteed playing time. The team can start any Qb they want to. His only way to kind of insure he has a chance to be a starter is via the contract. You don't sign a backup deal if you don't want to be a backup. The obvious thing is to let him leave after 2016. And if they want him back in any capacity for 2017 work out another deal. As for being a mentor for 6 mil a year that's crazy. They can hire somebody better like a Qb guru at 30K to do that job. 

32 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

So you decided to merely narrow it down to three people?

You could have left out the part about him being an intern. 

I know three that have/are currently interning. Possible there's 2 there now or only one or maybe they're all there. Again. Im not going to say that or give too much detail because if im being real with myself here, given my history of being tight lipped, if I let a little too much slip ill f*ck up somewhere and blow it entirely. The consequences are far worse than my pops being spoiled an episode of Game of Thrones lol.  The person that gave me this was ok with everything I shared.  He knows about the thread.  Even if organization found out who I WAS and tried to narrow it down that way, we've thought ahead on that and covered ourselves on social media platforms and other platforms during everyone's time with the org.  

ESPN's Ed Werder reports the Jets and free agent Ryan Fitzpatrick have had "no recent talks."

Werder confirms the sides "remain far apart" with "no resolution expected soon." It's a similar report to Ian Rapoport's on Tuesday. Geno Smith will open training camp as the Jets' starting quarterback. If Geno practices well and earns respect in the locker room, perhaps the Jets would move on altogether from Fitz. In a Wednesday morning column, ESPN New York's Rich Cimini predicted that ultimately "cooler heads will prevail" and the Jets will "strike a deal" with Fitzpatrick "before the second preseason game."

Another day, another update that there is no update. Sports media is a joke.

54 minutes ago, Maxman said:

You're just mad at how long it took for the Jets to finally give you a press pass.  Or did they give you one?  I forget.  :)

6 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

I mean if the Jets refuse to give Fitz one year for 12 mil. I just wonder what their bottom line is. Esp for a one year deal. Is it 8 mil? You'd think they could give him better than that. At least a small bonus for playing well on a very low backup deal last year. But if the Jets are unwilling to back off of the 3-24 and not offer him a one year contract it says a lot to me. I mean no player gets guaranteed playing time. The team can start any Qb they want to. His only way to kind of insure he has a chance to be a starter is via the contract. You don't sign a backup deal if you don't want to be a backup. The obvious thing is to let him leave after 2016. And if they want him back in any capacity for 2017 work out another deal. As for being a mentor for 6 mil a year that's crazy. They can hire somebody better like a Qb guru at 30K to do that job. 

Agreed. THe more this goes on, the more one thinks about the considerations you mention, the less sense the Jets' position makes to me.  And the answer is not that no other team has offered RF a better deal.  That will prove cold comfort if the Jets do not sign RF and begin the season with the sheer suckitude that is Geno Smith.

20 minutes ago, Big Blocker said:

Agreed. THe more this goes on, the more one thinks about the considerations you mention, the less sense the Jets' position makes to me.  And the answer is not that no other team has offered RF a better deal.  That will prove cold comfort if the Jets do not sign RF and begin the season with the sheer suckitude that is Geno Smith.

I mean the bottom line is 2016. You can worry about 2017 next year. Obviously the team is not going to and shouldn't give him a wild and crazy contract. But they can get this guy (reasonably) for 2016 and if they want to go with Hack next year find someone good to back him up. This is a bunch of nonsense. An unneeded Qb controversy and a distraction.

Archived