The minutiae of the silly QB situation is distracting us from the longterm outlook of the Jets

Matt39

Which frankly, looks...bad.

As we squabble about a QB on a one  year contract having a historically bad game...we have guys on the defense making a lot of money- past this season who cant play anymore (Harris, Revis).

At what point does Maccagnan have to clear the ledger and suck up being bad for a few years? Does he get that shot or will the billboards go up again?

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
46 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Maccagnan's starting to look like a guy who was perfectly suited for his job in Houston, and absolutely nothing more than that.

Instead of just making broad brush statements, why don't you explain your dissatisfaction with Macc? He's definitely trying to find us a QB. I like the players he's drafted. Lee, Jenkins, Burress, J.Marshall, Anderson, that's a lot of guys that have made their debuts as rookies. Leo is very good, Mauldin & Smith are still ?, He at least drafted a couple of QBs in Petty & Hack, and other than Revis (which I believe was a Woody directive), not one contract has long term Cap implications.

The Jets just don't have bad QB play. The past 4 games QB play has been horrible. This season, there has been no real rushing game as we feature no TE and now no FB. To go along with a 30 year old RB who has been very effective. A running game can usually bail out a bad QB. Fitz though has been terrible.

i think the D has fixed their issues after the first two games. We will see.. Harris does not have any speed and he never did. He and Revis did get paid though. Skrine and Williams have been better at CB. Pryor has been slow developing this season. Maybe he is hiding an injury.

Fumbles are causing issues on ST. 

Overall I think Macc has done as good a job as anyone can. Everyone makes mistakes. It is how you manage them when it is time for the fix that counts.

I think everyone agrees that there has been quality added to the roster in the last 2 years, and it is better than 2014's.

Unfortunately, MacC is still recovering from the Idzik/Tanny/Bradway years, and I believe the 2015 splurge was partially done as a Woody directed move to fill seats.

I think we really won't know where this team stands until this time in....2018.

15 minutes ago, Jetdawgg said:

The Jets just don't have bad QB play. The past 4 games QB play has been horrible. This season, there has been no real rushing game as we feature no TE and now no FB. To go along with a 30 year old RB who has been very effective. A running game can usually bail out a bad QB. Fitz though has been terrible.

i think the D has fixed their issues after the first two games. We will see.. Harris does not have any speed and he never did. He and Revis did get paid though. Skrine and Williams have been better at CB. Pryor has been slow developing this season. Maybe he is hiding an injury.

Fumbles are causing issues on ST. 

Overall I think Macc has done as good a job as anyone can. Everyone makes mistakes. It is how you manage them when it is time for the fix that counts.

Interesting take on the QB play, two of the four were horrible, one, vs Cincy, was so so, and game 2 against Buffalo he won AFC player of the week.

Two comments:

1) I believe this is the first time I have ever seen the word "minutiae" used on a football message board.  In fact, it is seldomly used anywhere.

2) I agree with the OP's premise.  I think this is currently a talented roster with a few weak spots, but the gaping holes are coming down the pike....soon.

9 minutes ago, Jetdawgg said:

He threw for 54% against Cincy. That is not good at all.

I said so so and what about the Buffalo game?  Not sure how you justify that as horrible.  I'm not looking to defend Fitz as he has laid some rotten eggs but fair is fair.

22 minutes ago, varjet said:

I think everyone agrees that there has been quality added to the roster in the last 2 years, and it is better than 2014's.

Unfortunately, MacC is still recovering from the Idzik/Tanny/Bradway years, and I believe the 2015 splurge was partially done as a Woody directed move to fill seats.

They HAD to spend money in 2015. They were so far away from the salary floor that it literally HAD to be done or they would be writing checks to players for nothing. True Story. 

8 minutes ago, varjet said:

Everyone forgets that CBA rules forced the Jets to spend big in 2015 because Idzik sat on all of the cap space they had in 2014. 

People don't realize the scope of the damage that motherfcker inflicted on this franchise. 

Mac had no choice but to spend. You can get on him for his handling of the QB situation, but you can't get on him for overpaying free agents last year. 

I know it will never happen but it would be so nice if after a loss people could
actually analyze the game without resorting to the tired nonsense of:

- Fire the HC
- Fire the OC
- Fire the DC
- Fire the GM
- Cut every player
- Post the billboard

It's boring, the Jets should be 3-0 if the QB (who many wanted back no matter what
the price) played "below average" against CIN & KC.  With all the other issues that
have cropped up in the first three games (Revis, secondary play, TE coverage) that's
the simple truth.  All the other crying & moaning is people just trying to push their
agenda

6 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

Everyone forgets that CBA rules forced the Jets to spend big in 2015 because Idzik sat on all of the cap space they had in 2014. 

People don't realize the scope of the damage that motherfcker inflicted on this franchise. 

Mac had no choice but to spend. You can get on him for his handling of the QB situation, but you can't get on him for overpaying free agents last year. 

Roll it back and apply that sentence to his predecessor.  Idzik was the numbers/fall guy brought in to clean up a horrible cap mess.that Tanny/Rex left us in.

Macc has been solid to date no need to include him in any bashing. Hell if he was able to land the franchise QB everyone is looking for we'd be throwing him parades. 

25 minutes ago, Joejet said:

I said so so and what about the Buffalo game?  Not sure how you justify that as horrible.  I'm not looking to defend Fitz as he has laid some rotten eggs but fair is fair.

That is just for starters. 2/7 Red Zone trips compounds the problem. His last 4 games are indefensible for the most part. He is trending downward fast and Bowles did not bail him out at all.

9 minutes ago, KRL said:

I know it will never happen but it would be so nice if after a loss people could

- Fire the HC
- Fire the OC
- Fire the DC
- Fire the GM
- Cut every player
- Post the billboard

It's boring, the Jets should be 3-0 if the QB (who many wanted back no matter what
the price) played "below average" against CIN & KC.  With all the other issues that
have cropped up in the first three games (Revis, secondary play, TE coverage) that's
the simple truth.  All the other crying & moaning is people just trying to push their
agenda

End thread >   *****

16 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

You can't get on Maccagnan for giving Revis a terrible contract? Why not?

13 minutes ago, KRL said:

- Fire the HC
- Fire the OC
- Fire the DC
- Fire the GM
- Cut every player
- Post the billboard

agenda

Too many can't evaluate a player, play or game.  It's so damn easy to blame all of the above.  Add in the game plan and the HCs sideline demeanor, my personal favorite.  

And of course there's a group of Fitzfanatics who can't blame their conquering hero so......

2 hours ago, Matt39 said:

As we squabble about a QB on a one  year contract having a historically bad game...we have guys on the defense making a lot of money- past this season who cant play anymore (Harris, Revis).

Harris can be cut next year with no dead money.  Probably have another year of Revis at $15MM+, but we can get out of Harris contract easily.

56 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

Richardson, Decker, Williams, Enunwa, Pryor, Winters, Ijalana, Folk, Miles, (Ivory, Colon, Douzable)

8 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

QB Minutiae?

LOL. Someone hasn't watched a modern NFL game.

Missing the point. The back and forth on the board about whether Fitzpatrick should play or not is distracting us from the longterm/pipeline of players that isnt exactly strong. Neither Fitz or Geno has any impact on the longterm outlook of this team.

15 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Missing the point. The back and forth on the board about whether Fitzpatrick should play or not is distracting us from the longterm/pipeline of players that isnt exactly strong. Neither Fitz or Geno has any impact on the longterm outlook of this team.

Missing the point. With average QB play, this team is a strong playoff contender. As for the future, I'm feeling good about Mac's ability to rebuild the WR and LB positions and you have to love the D Line. Up next, CB and OL. Meanwhile, as soon as Petty is able, we should be finding out what he is. Like now.

25 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

The roster is incredibly poorly constructed. There are 4 tight ends and 4 QBs and the one with the most talent of those 8 players needed to take a dump in the police station last weekend. It's extremely poor management. 

If I recall correctly there was a week or so-long period during the Mangini era where we carried 4 QBs, 4 RBs, and 2 punters. This is starting to remind me of that.

9 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

Missing the point. With average QB play, this team is a strong playoff contender. As for the future, I'm feeling good about Mac's ability to rebuild the WR and LB positions and you have to love the D Line. Up next, CB and OL. Meanwhile, as soon as Petty is able, we should be finding out what he is. Like now.

The secondary is awful. If you can't defend the pass you better have an elite offense which we sure as sh*t don't have.

42 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

The roster is incredibly poorly constructed. There are 4 tight ends and 4 QBs and the one with the most talent of those 8 players needed to take a dump in the police station last weekend. It's extremely poor management. 

Almost every NFL team has a position or two where they're forced to carry extra players - either due to injury or poor performance. Teams that have a "perfectly" constructed roster don't exist not in the salary cap era and those that are close either are very lucky with injuries or have been fortunate with their drafts. The whole notion of wasting a spot due to 4 QB's is overblown here. Get rid of Hack or Geno and who's taking that slot on the roster a reserve Olineman, another depth CB like Burris who never sees the field. 

8 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Almost every NFL team has a position or two where they're forced to carry extra players - either due to injury or poor performance. Teams that have a "perfectly" constructed roster don't exist not in the salary cap era and those that are close either are very lucky with injuries or have been fortunate with their drafts. The whole notion of wasting a spot due to 4 QB's is overblown here. Get rid of Hack or Geno and who's taking that slot on the roster a reserve Olineman, another depth CB like Burris who never sees the field. 

Or maybe a 3rd running back that could actually be active. You know, because there are only two healthy ones on the roster that are active each week. 

They just cut a solid depth linebacker and special teamer for a drunk. If you don't think there is a roster balance issue, then I don't know what to tell you. 

2 hours ago, KRL said:

the QB (who many wanted back no matter what the price) played "below average" against CIN & KC.   

Ryan Fitzpatrick is the 24th highest paid QB in the league in 2016. 

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/average/quarterback/

He is below average no one disputes that fact. They are paying him that way as well. 

The real question is why do Jets fans expect above average or even amazing play from a clearly below average QB? 

1 minute ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Or maybe a 3rd running back that could actually be active. You know, because there are only two healthy ones on the roster that are active each week. 

They just cut a solid depth linebacker and special teamer for a drunk. If you don't think there is a roster balance issue, then I don't know what to tell you. 

Didn't say there isn't an imbalance , but its not a problem reserved strictly to the Jets. The salary cap causes teams to sacrifice certain positions over others. 

As far as a 3rd RB goes , they've barely used the 2nd RB, he'd probably be inactive or planted to the bench. And as far as the "drunk" goes , if he can catch a dozen footballs he's outproduced last season's crop of sober Te's. 

Archived