jets headed toward top-10 pick, so prepare for plenty of QB buzz ~ ~ ~

kelly

With the New York Jets, it always comes back to the quarterback position. Let's tackle the future in our Week 8 mailbag :

@RichCimini if the Jets have a top 10 pick this year, would they draft a QB even though they have Petty and Hack on the roster#jetsmail

When you don't have a proven franchise QB, i think there are 3 things you can do when you pick in the 1st Round:

1) You can pick the best QB that is available.

2) You can trade up (for an enormous amount of compensation) to pick a QB that you absolutely believe will be your franchise QB.  It really needs to be absolute belief, not a flyer.  You can take a flyer on your pick without trading up.

3) You can pass on the best QB.  That is what people think the Jets did last year.  I think Macc thinks he was savvy and picked the best qb available in the entire draft, just did it in the second round.

WIth the NFL rules changes, becoming a passing league, etc., QB are outside of the BPA analysis.  If there are QBs potentially able to be a franchise QB, they are going first.  If a team like Cleveland does not want to pick them, someone will trade up to pick them.  A QB like Flacco, Rodgers or Rothesberger (or Pennington) is not dropping to the middle of the round.

So, I would not advocate throwing the season now-the Jets are still in it.  But meaningless wins at the end of the season that drop your pick-I don't get those.

I am a strong proponent of taking a risk on a potential QB. Once you have a franchise QB, then you can take BPA in the first round and take developmental QBS in the later rounds.  I am a strong OPPONENT of trading up, unless it is really a sure thing.

The record does show that the Jets trading up for Sanchez was followed (I did not say led) to 2 AFCCGs.  The Giants traded up for Eli and won 2 Super Bowls (I don't think they get 3).

Yes, we know where Tom Brady was picked.

If it was up to me I'd go into next season with Petty/Hack/draftee.  I see no rationale for hiring some JAG FA hold the fort QB.  Either you trust in your ability to draft or you don't, and if you don't then you should not be a GM.  Time to grow a pair.      

14 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Allow me to put an end to your consternation: "We really liked DeShone, but we felt that [cornerback] was a really good fit for what we want to do on defense."

How many horcruxes do you have left until we can destroy you?

14 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

This is actually a deep draft for QBs.

Kizer, Watson, Kaaya, Falk, Rudolph, Trubisky, Kelly etc.

They all suck with maybe that North Carolina kid being the best of the bunch .  I'm telling you guys right now, the best prospect in next yrs draft at QB is the kid from BC . He's big, athletic, has above average arm talent and was coached in a pro style offense at UK . Kid's a year 2 potential starter in the NFL in my opinion . 

with the remaining schedule I just don't see a top 10 pick so I have no idea what Cimini is talking about.   

mid-first / mid-second seems about right for some of these QB's.  I think you probably throw Kelly's name in the mix as well.   I would have no problem going into next season with Petty, Hack, Kelly.   At that point we'd at least get a chance to commit to the rebuild and see what some of these kids can do.  

On 10/29/2016 at 10:24 AM, Larz said:

they will pick outside of any potential special player, be it QB, pass rusher or OT

they will be looking at DE, DT, CB, S and WR or the 2nd/3rd best pass rusher or OT

beat those browns baby !

Next to QB, CB is far and away our biggest need.

Or do you enjoy having the worst Pass D in football?

Angry pure-fantasy talk about a draft a year+ away, while we're in Week 8.....sad.

10 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Revis the best CB on the roster no one is even close. 

9 hours ago, drdetroit said:

Yet he gets burned every week by everyone.

Both of these things being true, makes for certain they'll draft one high in 2017. Maybe two. Skrine is terrible, Williams is better suited for limited playing time. I'd like to see more of Burris, because I think he could be solid. Weird how this secondary has fallen apart since last season. 

9 hours ago, LionelRichie said:

with the remaining schedule I just don't see a top 10 pick so I have no idea what Cimini is talking about.   

mid-first / mid-second seems about right for some of these QB's.  I think you probably throw Kelly's name in the mix as well.   I would have no problem going into next season with Petty, Hack, Kelly.   At that point we'd at least get a chance to commit to the rebuild and see what some of these kids can do.  

Kelly has a lot of talent, but you have to wonder whether or not the maturity is there to be able to lead an NFL team.

Archived