Bowles: No QB Controversy

JetNation

Bryce Petty

Ryan Fitzpatrick is getting better according to head coach Todd Bowles. He is talking about Fitzpatrick in the physical sense, his knee injury is getting better.

He’s getting a little better. He’s taking some reps. He has to do some more though.

What is surprising though is that Bowles continues to start Ryan Fitzpatrick. The Jets are sitting at 3 and 6, Fitz is not under contract for next season and you have a home game against the Rams. Seems like the perfect time to give Bryce Petty his first start. After this game the Jets have the bye week and then the Patriots.

Really not sure how much more they need to see from Fitzpatrick, who has thrown 13 interceptions this year. If it was just a matter of cutting down on interceptions that would be one thing. But he is averaging 220 yards passing per game and only has 8 TDs in 9 games.  He is consistently missing open receivers, this isn’t a matter of bad luck. Check out our NY Jets Film Review for proof.

The head coach said, “We lose games with more than just Fitzpatrick.” Really have to be honest though, sure the Jets could lose without him, but he is making it very easy to lose with him.

Bowles has said that he has full confidence in Petty. And that Petty is ready to go. Yet somehow Bowles says that Fitz won’t be on a short leash against the Rams. The scariest part of all might be the refusal to admit there should be a QB controversy.

For me to make a quarterback change, I’d have to have a quarterback controversy. Ryan is the starter. Bryce is the backup.

It is only year two coach, but we are starting to lose our confidence in you.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
4iPVTikWxog

Click here to read the full story...

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's more to this just trying to win now.  They either want to wait after the Pats game to give Petty an easier transition and use the excuse that they're out of it or there is a chance they want to give Hack a few more weeks and then bypass Petty altogether.  I know everyone assumes Hack's nowhere near ready but they drafted him in the 2nd round for a reason don't think they expect him to sit for 3 years.

he appears to be a bit of a block head.  I don't think he has any idea how to build a team, or develop talent.  These guys have not bought in, and the young ones are not getting better.  That about covers it.  we know his sideline decisions suck..

Depending on the statistician and a few different assumptions, the Jets now have between a 0.1% and 3% chance of getting a playoff spot.

So, the very simple question is:  Do the Jets want to find out if Petty has a future as an NFL starting QB during this season, or after making draft and free agent moves in the offseason?

It's very much a no brainer.  The coach appears to be managing the team to extend his employment, not to maximize the future of the franchise.  Didn't think that's who Todd Bowles was, but apparently so.

FLORHAM PARK — Todd Bowles has finally had enough. He is done answering questions about the Jets' quarterback position. 

The depth chart is set: Ryan Fitzpatrick is the starter, and Bryce Petty the backup. From the sound of things, it will take a kidnapping or arm amputation to expedite a change.

"No I'm not there," Bowles said when asked if Fitzpatrick is on a short leash. "For me to make a quarterback change, I'd have to have a quarterback controversy."

While there's little doubt Bowles is committed to Fitzpatrick — who appears healthy enough to play against the Rams Sunday — the real question is why? The quarterback has been, statistically, the worst passer in the NFL this season.

Seriously. In just about every statistical category. 

After setting the Jets single-season record with 31 touchdowns in 2015, Fitzpatrick has a league-high 13 interceptions, and a league-low completion percentage (56.4) and passer rating (67.6). The Jets went 10-6 under Fitzpatrick a year ago. Nine games into this season, they're 3-6. 

Petty may be inexperienced — his two passing attempts last week were the first of his career — but he can't be any worse than Fitzpatrick because, well, that's not statistically possible. So why not make a switch?

When will Mangold be back?

When will Mangold be back?

Is Nick Mangold nearing a return?

"Because Fitzpatrick is not the only one playing over there," Bowles said. "This is a team game. We lose games with more than just Fitzpatrick. We lose it with the offensive line, defensive line, (defensive backs), linebackers, receivers and running backs. He's ultimately responsible for his position, but not everybody else. Everybody else is responsible for their job.

"So, when you look at the film and you see mistakes made, it's across the board. It's not just Fitz. And if I felt there were enough mistakes where I could put somebody else in there right now, I would put them in there."

While Bowles won't admit it, offensive coordinator Chan Gailey may have shed some unintentional light onto why the Jets haven't made a quarterback change. 

Petty, who was selected by the team in the fourth round of last year's draft, missed a month of practice to start the season after injuring his shoulder in the preseason finale. He just returned a little over a month ago. For a player still in the very early developmental stages of his career, time off isn't exactly the best thing. 

Who practiced and who didn't?

Who practiced and who didn't?

Who practiced, and who didn't, for the Jets and Rams?

Petty has been doing his best to make up for lost reps. But there are only so many to go around in practice. According to Gailey, Petty isn't completely there yet.

"Once you lose it, it's hard to catch it up in a short period of time," Gailey said. "That's probably a gray area question. It's close, but I don't know if it's 100 percent, but it's close."

As crazy as it may seem, the three-win Jets are technically still in the playoff picture. If they go on a run, there's a chance they could make the playoffs at 10-6.

Improbable? Yes. But not impossible. Bowles will likely ride with Fitzpatrick until this thing has been decided. Once the Jets hit eight or nine losses, they need to turn their attention to the future, which will mean a Fitzpatrick benching. 

See, there's virtually no chance Fitzpatrick returns next season. Petty, however, is under contract for the next two. Eventually it will be time to see what they've got in the second-year pro. 

"We understand what he does in practice every day and what he did in college," Bowles said of Petty. "If he has to play and goes into the game, I'm confident that he'll do what he's been doing."

Connor Hughes may be reached at chughes@njadvancemedia.com. Follow him on Twitter @Connor_J_Hughes. Find NJ.com Jets on Facebook

hate to pile up on Bowles, but his infatuation with Fitz is infuriating me.  Big Mac has to step in and knock some sense into him.  His inability to see what is so obvious is troubling.  How much worse can Petty be? His skill-set is so far superior and his decision making can't be worse than the suckiest in the NFL.   Fock me.  This is killing me.

1 hour ago, rbstern said:

Depending on the statistician and a few different assumptions, the Jets now have between a 0.1% and 3% chance of getting a playoff spot.

So, the very simple question is:  Do the Jets want to find out if Petty has a future as an NFL starting QB during this season, or after making draft and free agent moves in the offseason?

It's very much a no brainer.  The coach appears to be managing the team to extend his employment, not to maximize the future of the franchise.  Didn't think that's who Todd Bowles was, but apparently so.

That is scary. Let's keep the young QBs on the bench because ... well I am not sure why. Sad.

It's almost as if the backup QB, who learned a simple defensive concept 2 weeks ago that he should have known forever, might suck more that Fitz.  Wow.  What a crazy concept.

It's one thing to need mechanical things fixed and time so the game slows down for you.  It's a whole different ball game if you didn't know the difference between a pee wee football defensive concept.

4 hours ago, YankeeJet22 said:

hate to pile up on Bowles, but his infatuation with Fitz is infuriating me.

I think this is what is aggravating most fans - including myself.

Coaches aren't going to make great decisions all the time but you HAVE to be able to recognize when & why changes need to be made.

Bowles is clearly not seeing that.

It's good to stick by your players - but not when it gets to the point where it's detrimental to the team and that's where he's at with his undying support of Fitzpatrick.

What makes it worse is it's ruining the perfect opportunity to get Petty some valuable regular season reps and experience with the first team offense against other teams 1st team defenses.

The season is already a wash - Bowles has an opportunity to still do something positive with it - and he is pissing that opportunity away and doesn't seem to have the insight to realize it.

Archived