Who's Next to get the axe?

CanadaSteve

Mac has got the axe out and has cut a lot of dead wood (Folk, Breno, Erin Henderson, Revis, Clady)  Who else do you think goes?

Eric Decker   ($5.7 million cap savings, $3 million dead money)

Brandon Marshall ($7 million cap savings, no dead money)

David Harris ($6.5 million cap savings, no dead money)

Marcus Gilchrist ($4.6 million cap savings, $2.6 million dead money)

Steve McLendon ($2.1 million cap savings, $1.7 million dead money)

Sheldon Richardson (More a trade, but has $8 million in savings)

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Barkus said:

Gilchrist should be a no brainer. He was invisible last year and is coming off a bad injury. Harris will probably stay, wonder if they can get him to take a paycut? Marshall is 50/50 think he will stay though.

Agree with this... I don't think cutting Marshall or Decker is a good idea, I think cutting both just completely destroys any QB's chance of developing. I like Q and Robby A. but I don't think they are ready to be starting 1 & 2 yet.

1 minute ago, Stark said:

Agree with this... I don't think cutting Marshall or Decker is a good idea, I think cutting both just completely destroys any QB's chance of developing. I like Q and Robby A. but I don't think they are ready to be starting 1 & 2 yet.

Just 1 year ago Marshall and Decker were considered even by many in the jet-hating media to be the NFL's best WR duo

And now most jets fans want to cut one or both just cuz we didn't have a real Qb on our roster last season

Just now, thadude said:

Just 1 year ago Marshall and Decker were considered even by many in the jet-hating media to be the NFL's best WR duo

And now most jets fans want to cut one or both just cuz we didn't have a real Qb on our roster last season

Have to keep one for sure, and I personally believe we need to keep both... If we are not then for sure we are drafting Fournette, right???? lol

Seriously, both Decker and Marshall give whoever is at QB legit NFL WR's and will help our younger WR's, mainly Q and Anderson, develop.

You have to wonder what the mindset of guys like Decker and Marshall will be after seeing what's going on this offseason.   I think we all learned from the Fitzpatrick situation last year that you cannot let your players dictate your roster but at the same time these are older guys who most likely won't be around if and when this team is a real contender again.  I think Macc needs to have some serious conversations with some of the vets and determine whether they're buying into this strategy of rebuilding with youth.  If they're not it's probably time to get rid of them too.  Cap space is meaningless we're going to stink next year no point targeting high priced vets like we did two years ago just for band aid purposes.  The benefit of keeping some of the vets around is to help the younger guys learn, especially if we're breaking in a young QB, it's certainly a huge advantage to have safety nets like Marshall, Decker and Q to throw the ball to.

1 minute ago, Stark said:

Have to keep one for sure, and I personally believe we need to keep both... If we are not then for sure we are drafting Fournette, right???? lol

Seriously, both Decker and Marshall give whoever is at QB legit NFL WR's and will help our younger WR's, mainly Q and Anderson, develop.

Yeah I'd like to attempt to make the playoffs before the year 2035

13 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

Mac has got the axe out and has cut a lot of dead wood (Folk, Breno, Erin Henderson, Revis, Clady)  Who else do you think goes?

Eric Decker   ($5.7 million cap savings, $3 million dead money)

Brandon Marshall ($7 million cap savings, no dead money)

David Harris ($6.5 million cap savings, no dead money)

Marcus Gilchrist ($4.6 million cap savings, $2.6 million dead money)

Steve McLendon ($2.1 million cap savings, $1.7 million dead money)

Sheldon Richardson (More a trade, but has $8 million in savings)

Decker is a keeper. 

Marshall should be trade-able. Look at teams on the playoff fringe that think they're 1-2 players away. Teams that have a QB whose window may be another couple years, but can't seem to take the next step: Ravens, Chargers are good examples. Think 4th-7th round pick.

David Harris is a cut, thought he might be someone you could flip in a trade. Think 4th-7th round pick.

Gilchrist you cut.

McLendon is a keeper. He played wel.

Sheldon you trade, because Bowles and his pal can't figure out how to use the 2nd-3rd most talented player on the team.

Yippee.

I think our last big cut will be Marshall - no dead money, full cap savings. Richardson gets traded if we get at least a 3rd for him. Betting we don't cut him loose if compensation is anything less than that. Decker, McLendon stay. Gilchrist....only $2M cap savings and he's hurt. Suspect we don't release him until after the draft, it at all. Harris is the big unknown. Only way he's released is if a replacement is found in FA, which is entirely possible. Can't release everyone, too many holes to fill.

I agree, I think Marshall can be trade bait since he is cap friendly for most teams.  I think we can recoup our 5th round we gave up for him.  If we tried to unload him last offseason we might have been able to get a 4th based off his 2015 performance.  

Harris I think will be the next causality or even Gilchrist.

11 minutes ago, thadude said:

I never said I wanted any or all of those players.  They are the only ones that make sense contract wise.

Its also possible to trade any/all of those players.....well, possible, but not probable.

Short of any big offseason moves, it's extremely unlikely for both Marshall and Decker to go.  We like the young guys at WR, but going with Enunwa and Anderson as your 1 and 2 is hardly a wise move.

Harris and Gilchrist are both guys who will be kept around for now while the Jets look for replacements, given that neither have any guarantees or bonuses of any type coming up this year.  If replacements are found, it could easily lead to them being cut.  Gilchrist I think is more likely in that regard, but Harris is hardly a lock to stay either.

McLendon isn't going anywhere.  A solid player and it would ultimately cost the Jets more to cut him and him replace him with someone on a rookie minimum contract.  Only way he goes is if he gets outright beat in camp by multiple players (or at least, very comparable play from younger players).

Richardson pretty much has to go and I'm sure they'll be talking trades for him like crazy.  That said, if no one bites, they might hold on to him just to get a comp pick back.  However, considering such a comp pick would not come for another 2 years, the Jets could end up being willing to take a lower-than-expected trade offer.  If you play by the rules of future year picks being worth one less round each year, it could be argued that even a 3rd rounder back for Sheldon in 2019 would be equivalent to a 5th this year.  Will be interesting to see what happens with this.

Skrine isn't out of the question either if they are really in rebuild mode, but that would obviously depend on more CBs being brought in this offseason.  If it is to happen, he'd probably be more likely a late-camp cut than one coming soon though.

4 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

Short of any big offseason moves, it's extremely unlikely for both Marshall and Decker to go.  We like the young guys at WR, but going with Enunwa and Anderson as your 1 and 2 is hardly a wise move.

Harris and Gilchrist are both guys who will be kept around for now while the Jets look for replacements, given that neither have any guarantees or bonuses of any type coming up this year.  If replacements are found, it could easily lead to them being cut.  Gilchrist I think is more likely in that regard, but Harris is hardly a lock to stay either.

McLendon isn't going anywhere.  A solid player and it would ultimately cost the Jets more to cut him and him replace him with someone on a rookie minimum contract.  Only way he goes is if he gets outright beat in camp by multiple players (or at least, very comparable play from younger players).

Richardson pretty much has to go and I'm sure they'll be talking trades for him like crazy.  That said, if no one bites, they might hold on to him just to get a comp pick back.  However, considering such a comp pick would not come for another 2 years, the Jets could end up being willing to take a lower-than-expected trade offer.  If you play by the rules of future year picks being worth one less round each year, it could be argued that even a 3rd rounder back for Sheldon in 2019 would be equivalent to a 5th this year.  Will be interesting to see what happens with this.

Skrine isn't out of the question either if they are really in rebuild mode, but that would obviously depend on more CBs being brought in this offseason.  If it is to happen, he'd probably be more likely a late-camp cut than one coming soon though.

so in other words...we're f*cked?

5 minutes ago, peebag said:

At least Marshall stays on the field - has Decker played a full season for us?

Good point

Decker has missed very significant time 2 of his 3 seasons as a jet.  That said I would keep both him and Marshall one more season

Just now, Barkus said:

Gilchrist should be a no brainer. He was invisible last year and is coming off a bad injury. Harris will probably stay, wonder if they can get him to take a paycut? Marshall is 50/50 think he will stay though.

Gilchrist is a total JAG even without the injury

Harris is a total liability in coverage but we are staying 3-4 and just got rid of Henderson so I think he stays

28 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

I never said I wanted any or all of those players.  They are the only ones that make sense contract wise.

Its also possible to trade any/all of those players.....well, possible, but not probable.

Bears only got a 5th for Marshall 2 years ago(in addition to also giving the jets their 2017 7th)what are we getting now?

If we are trading Marshall we should look for a conditional pick in 2018. We unload his cap and can get a 5th that could turn into a 4th rounder depending on performance. 

Gilchrist should be cut no matter what. Bowles came out and said he couldn't make the scheme any simpler last year, a lot of that falls on the FS play being a vocal leader.

The only way we cut Harris is if we grab Minter which would be a great upgrade to go along with Lee for a lb group.

I firmly believe we will get a 3rd for a Sheldon trade, either the browns or the cowboys, maybe the broncos. 

McLendon will stay. He was good last year and we need to have a rotation at DT between him and Simon

Decker is here to stay. His cap hit is low and when he is on the field he is a reliable receiver that is a security blanket for any qb we have.

My surprise cut/trade is Pryor. Depending on how high we are on Adams or Hooker it wouldn't shock me to cut Pryor and just have Miles take his spot.

Gilchrist tore his patella tendon in december. That's a potential career ender, if not one that will put him out all of 2017. Surprised he's still even on the roster. Skrine should go, but are the Jets willing to eat the dead money? 

I'd like to keep our WRs, but I could see the Jets testing the trade waters for Brandon Marshall. If guys like Kenny Stills are reported to be looking for $12M/yr, Brandon at 7.5 seems pretty reasonable. 

I also think the team goes after Minter. If they're successful, that's the end of Harris. 

1 hour ago, JiF said:

If this regime has any brains, it's Marshall followed closely by David Harris. 

I don't think Marshall or Decker get cut.  But I could be wrong.  We all recognize your long-held anti-Marshall bias. 

1 minute ago, Dcat said:

I don't think Marshall or Decker get cut.  But I could be wrong.  We all recognize your long-held anti-Marshall bias. 

Long held?  No.  I had no problem with Marshall when he was quietly going about his business.  My problems with Marshall started this season because he showed his ass...again. 

But yes, they should absolutely get rid of one of the worst performers in the league at their respective position who is also a locker room cancer. 

I would bet Brandon Marshall and David Harris will be gone. Considering where we are at this juncture, their salaries, (and in Marshall's case his dismeanor) don't make sense to keep.

Marshall had a great year for us in 2015 but nobody will shed tears over that.

Cutting Harris will be like cutting Mangold. He's past his prime and probably needs to go but it will be tough, he was a great player and team first guy that defined one side of the ball for a generation of Jets fans.

4 minutes ago, JiF said:

Long held?  No.  I had no problem with Marshall when he was quietly going about his business.  My problems with Marshall started this season because he showed his ass...again. 

But yes, they should absolutely get rid of one of the worst performers in the league at their respective position who is also a locker room cancer. 

My opinion:  Your opinion is myopic.  That is all.  Peace

The locker room cancers are the ones that are the selfish greedy pricks who are always me-first.  I guess Sheldon and Wilk didn't enjoy being revealed as bad teammates this season. You are looking at the wrong cell specimen in determining just who the locker room cancers are on the Jets.  Remember when Mehta said you wouldn't believe what goes on in Florham Park?  I have little doubt that he reference was to Sheldon, Wilk or both. Not Marshall or the offense.

2 minutes ago, Dcat said:

My opinion:  Your opinion is myopic.  That is all.  Peace

The locker room cancers are the ones that are the selfish greedy pricks who are always me-first.  I guess Sheldon and Wilk didn't enjoy being revealed as bad teammates this season. You are looking at the wrong cell specimen in determining just who the locker room cancers are on the Jets.  Remember when Mehta said you wouldn't believe what goes on in Florham Park?  I have little doubt that he reference was to Sheldon, Wilk or both. Not Marshall or the offense.

Yes, I'm pointing my finger at the wrong person.  You know, the person who admitted he divided the locker room and 4 players and the Head Coach confirmed it.  The same player who had been run out of 3 other locker rooms prior to landing with the Jets.

I'm soooooo misguided. 

Archived