Who Could go if Jets opt for Pre-Deadline Fire Sale?

JetNation

IMG_6236-1.jpg

It appears the Jets roster has settled down just a bit with the season under way, but as the team continues to take aim at a full re-build, you can bet GM Mike Maccagnan will be looking to make some pre-deadline deals to scoop up a few more picks in the NFL draft.

The Jets may not have a great deal of established talent, but they do have some players who could draw some interest down the stretch.  Here are a few players that teams could come calling for once the deadline is approaching.

IMG_5642-300x243.jpg

Cornerback Morris Claiborne would likely generate interest if healthy.

CB Morris Claiborne: Playing on just a one-year deal, Claiborne is unlikely to be any part of the team’s future and his health has always been an issue.  If, by chance Claiborne can stay healthy and play at a high level, surely a fringe playoff contender would look to acquire a player of Claiborne’s stature to beef up their secondary.

DE Kony Ealy: Recently claimed off of waivers, Ealy should see plenty of playing time for Todd Bowles in sub packages and possibly as a starter depending on how the Jets game plan on a weekly basis.  The fact that five different teams placed a claim for Ealy tells us that several teams are interested in his services.

Bryce Petty: Prior to kicking off their season against the Bills, NFL insider Ian Rapoport sent out a tweet letting fans know that two teams contacted the Jets this off-season to make inquiries regarding Petty’s availability, but GM Mike Maccagnan wasn’t interested in making a deal at that point.  As the season rolls on, if Todd Bowles isn’t willing to give Petty a look, Maccagnan may see Petty as a trade chip to grab another pick.

IMG_4150-300x247.jpg

Bryce Petty has already generated interest from multiple teams in trade talks.

RB Matt Forte: The instant and justifiable reaction to the suggestion of a Forte deal is almost universal “he’s overpaid and can’t be moved because of his salary”.  A perfectly rational response.  However, if a team loses a veteran back or two and needs an experienced replacement, the Jets may be willing to pick up a large portion of his salary just to free up a roster spot and move on from the failed Forte experiment.  The most the Jets could hope to get would be a 6th or 7th round pick.

CB Marcus Williams: Williams was another name that was reportedly shopped this off-season along with Sheldon Richardson but there were no takers, or Mike Maccagnan wasn’t liking what he was being offered.  With a lack of depth at cornerback around the league, Williams is another player they could re-visit trading closer to the trade deadline for another day three pick.

RB Bilal Powell: Most onlookers realize at this point that Powell is the Jets’ best weapon on offense, but after so many years of being the forgotten man on offense, perhaps a team that realizes what Powell can do would be willing to acquire the running back.  Powell can do everything you want from a running back and does it all well.  Despite being 29 years old, Powell has relatively low mileage after a light workload in both college and the NFL.

In the end, the Jets may not make another move before season’s end, but if they decide an even deeper housecleaning is in order, the above mentioned players could be the most likely targets for those teams looking to round out their rosters as the playoff push approaches.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
mZJw9_sgOpo

Click here to read the full story...

1 minute ago, Jetmech said:

Would be nice to see Petty play 4-5 games first..

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

It certainly would.  Given McCown's injury history and the Mack/Irvin tandem for the Raiders, we may get a look at whoever it is Bowles goes with as the No. 2.

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if we moved mccown this season...yes I know the guy isn't great but he has been on a bunch of teams with a bunch of coordinators he obviously is no one's first option but if a team is making a playoff run and their qb gets injured they might at least take a look at him

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

Petty shouldn't be considered for a potential trade until he plays in a decent amount of games first.

I think Claiborne is someone who if he plays well, the Jets should look to lock up. He's still young and could be a vital piece to the rebuilt secondary. We are still missing another corner and you have to have them in this league to be successful on D now more than ever.

We shouldn't be looking to sell off a ton of players this season. Eventually you have to start adding talent to the team in order to actually rebuild. I feel like we are past the point of removing most of the older players.

I'd be looking to trade guys like Forte and Kerley. Any young player who is playing well the Jets should be looking to keep IMO. Rebuilds dont take forever in the NFL. If the Jets draft a QB in the first round next year and the guy can actually play then the Jets have a chance to be good. They have a ton of money to spend and should be very active in FA.

You cant just throw names out there that make sense for the Jets to deal. They have to be players that other teams might want...

Here's one;  James Carpenter.  The Jets best offensive player.  His injury is mild.  An absorbable contract.  A free agent in 2019 that will probably seek employment elsewhere anyway.  When contending teams have injuries on the OL, always does, Carpenter becomes very appealing. 

I know the downside:  the Jets need to protect their shiny, new QB next fall.  Frankly, the Jets don't have any tackles either.  They wont be able to protect him regardless.

39 minutes ago, Lith said:

Not sure what value they would have, but two guys I would be willing to move for a bag of balls and an extra kicking tee would be Steve McLendon and Buster Skrine.

Could probably get a conditional 4-5-6 for Mclendon to the right team. Doubt you could get the balls or the tee for Skrine.

4 hours ago, Pac said:

No reason at all to trade Petty, Powell, or Ealy.

Petty seems to have long term backup potential.

Powell is 29 in october. I like the guy, but what is he exactly doing for this team in the next two-three years that is worth holding onto him for. 

Then again, the Jets have to actually use Powell to get trade value, so who knows. 

42 minutes ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

Powell is 29 in october. I like the guy, but what is he exactly doing for this team in the next two-three years that is worth holding onto him for. 

Then again, the Jets have to actually use Powell to get trade value, so who knows. 

The assumption is they'd be trading him for low value ie 6th or 7th rounder.  If you can get a 3rd or higher go for it.

Despite the pandemonium on this board I don't think the Jets will finish as poorly as the majority think this year, and I certainly don't think we're many years away from respectability.  We could be in the playoff hunt next year if this draft continues to pan out, we have another strong draft in 18', and with all the $ they'll have to spend in FA.

44 minutes ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

Personally Id like to see us extend powell through 2019 as he has very few miles on him, can catch, and block - basically a guy who could be a starter for us in 2018, a backup to someone like Nick Chubb or even McGuire in 2018/19 or a low cost (if the extension is done right) option so that we can stop signing guys like forte.

5 hours ago, Obrien2Toon said:

They better not trade Ealy

Ealy, like many/most of the players listed, is on the last year of his contract.

At this point he has made money, but there are 15 more weeks.  So I would take the view that he should either be traded for something or extended by the trading deadline-having him play the rest of the year for the Jets is pointless at this point.

3 hours ago, RoadFan said:

You cant just throw names out there that make sense for the Jets to deal. They have to be players that other teams might want...

Here's one;  James Carpenter.  The Jets best offensive player.  His injury is mild.  An absorbable contract.  A free agent in 2019 that will probably seek employment elsewhere anyway.  When contending teams have injuries on the OL, always does, Carpenter becomes very appealing. 

I know the downside:  the Jets need to protect their shiny, new QB next fall.  Frankly, the Jets don't have any tackles either.  They wont be able to protect him regardless.

So, that logic is: "We don't have many good O-linemen, so why not trade away our best one?"

3 hours ago, RoadFan said:

Can not do that until you know what we have in draft pick.  If we get a QB....we won't be trading away a pretty-reliable and solid lineman.  Need to focus on building up the OL to support a rookie, not breaking it down.  Spend big in FA for N.Solder and W.Richberg.  Let's take the best lineman away from our douchiest rivals.  Start tampering with their agents right now Macc. 

Solder, Carp, Richberg, Winters, Shell?  Then draft a developmental LT in rd 2?

Rd 1. Rosen/Darnold

Rd 2a. Connor Williams (or Hyatt/Rankin?)

Rd 2b. Sam Hubbard - Edge

Rd 3. Sony Michel - RB

But we are the Jets....so....

1. Minkah Fitzpatrick, CB

2a. Cameron Smith, ILB

2b. Jake Browning, QB

3. Larry Allen Jr., OG

3 hours ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

Powell is a very reliable safety net out of the back field, and while not a world-beater, can actually make things happen through the air or on the ground. Plus, he's been our best back--by far--at QB protection and blitz pick up. I've questioned his place in this team's future, too, but there's no denying that he would be a valuable asset to which young QB is under center next season. Unless--as @Pac--said you can get a 3rd or higher for him, you don't move him.

2 hours ago, Pac said:

The assumption is they'd be trading him for low value ie 6th or 7th rounder.  If you can get a 3rd or higher go for it.

Despite the pandemonium on this board I don't think the Jets will finish as poorly as the majority think this year, and I certainly don't think we're many years away from respectability.  We could be in the playoff hunt next year if this draft continues to pan out, we have another strong draft in 18', and with all the $ they'll have to spend in FA.

lol

"another strong draft"

Just now, Spoot-Face said:

Powell is a very reliable safety net out of the back field, and while not a world-beater, can actually make things happen through the air or on the ground. Plus, he's been our best back--by far--at QB protection and blitz pick up. I've questioned his place in this team's future, too, but there's no denying that he would be a valuable asset to which young QB is under center next season. Unless--as @Pac--said you can get a 3rd or higher for him, you don't move him.

I understand he has value as a player. What i'm suggesting is that he's closing in on that dreaded 30-year old barometer where his trade value is going to completely tank and at best he's likely in the last two or three years of his prime. 

If you realistically think we are going to be competitive next year even with a new qb, then the rationale makes sense. I just don't see us being anywhere close to there with the state of our offense even with a great draft next year. 

1 minute ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

I understand he has value as a player. What i'm suggesting is that he's closing in on that dreaded 30-year old barometer where his trade value is going to completely tank and at best he's likely in the last two or three years of his prime. 

If you realistically think we are going to be competitive next year even with a new qb, then the rationale makes sense. I just don't see us being anywhere close to there with the state of our offense even with a great draft next year. 

Not necessarily competitive no, but if he can help keep the young QB upright, and be a reliable piece if a play breaks down, then we will have a better chance at evaluating whomever is under center next season. No more excuses of "he haz no weaponz" or "he wuz on da run all gamez". Powell can still be an important presence on the field for any QB who needs developing.

3 hours ago, Spoot-Face said:

So, that logic is: "We don't have many good O-linemen, so why not trade away our best one?"

I did NOT necessarily recommend trading Carpenter. You didnt understand in context.  I said if the Jets decide to firesale, he is a prime candidate because other teams would value his services and he is due a new contract soon.

I was pointing out that people throw these names around... trade this guy, trade that guy.  When teams have little reason to be interested in said player, it doesnt work.

Do yourself a favor, don't question my logic, it is the primary factor in all my opinions.  And it is sound...

3 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

I did necessarily NOT recommend trading Carpenter. You didnt understand in context.  I said if the Jets decide to firesale, he is a prime candidate because other teams would value his services and he is due a new contract soon.

I was pointing out that people throw these names around... trade this guy, trade that guy.  When teams have little reason to be interested in said player, it doesnt work.

Do yourself a favor, don't question my logic, it is the primary factor in all my opinions.  And it is sound...

Omg...

Ape... is that you?

Archived