This is How you Get Manning

Favorite_Toon

Here are some more:

2, 20, 17

Recognize them now?

Okay, I'll tell you. Those are the number of points given up by the Giant's defense in all seven of ELI MANNING'S single-handed playoff victories.

Five games giving up 17 or less. Three games 14 or less.

Not one game over twenty points.

Eli won those games, right?

While we're at it, 4-2 is better than 9-10, agreed?

I love when people quote QB's playoff records as if they were boxers or tennis players.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You'd be saying that about NE if their QB was Mark Sanchez as well. It's not just the quick release, as Sanchez doesn't even have some Tebow-Leftwich type of windup. There are plenty of times we've gotten into the backfield QUICK against a less mobile QB than Sanchez - particularly back when Rex dialed up so many more blitzes - and we still can't get him sacked so easily. It's not just the release. You know when to step up into the pocket straight, when to step up and to one side or to the other, when to abandon and run for your life, and when to just throw it away. Sanchez has no feel for this. There are some sacks that are just unavoidable, and no QB goes the entire year without getting sacked a bunch of times.

Sanchez got sacked 39x.

Brady was sacked 32x with a virtually-identical # of dropbacks.

Rodgers 36x with dozens of fewer official pass attempts which don't include all the additional would-be sacks he scrambled out of and ran for positive yardage.

Alex Smith got sacked 44x in about a hundred fewer attempts and he's a hell of a lot closer to a scrambling/running QB than Sanchez is.

With all the comparable # of sacks and scrambles it doesn't even take into account how many more times they all throw it away to avoid one.

So let's dispense with the notion that the Jets OL, woeful as they looked at times, is a major reason Sanchez sucks. He sucks because he's a bad QB with little to no feel for the position. Particularly when compared to those who either don't hurt their team so much or who are actual assets that make the offense better than it otherwise would be.

I think most of these guys only watch jets games and when they do it's with a Sanchez jersey on w/matching goggles

Okay, I'll tell you. Those are the number of points given up by the Giant's defense in all seven of ELI MANNING'S single-handed playoff victories.

I love when people quote QB's playoff records as if they were boxers or tennis players.

Cool, so Sanchez sucks. We agree.

I know it's hard for you to comprehend as evidenced by your loud type, but I was referring to RIGHT NOW. Peyton--36 years old and coming off a MAJOR injury--is not better than the younger in his prime Eli RIGHT NOW.

But I'll also play along ...

Eli 7-3 in postseason

Peyton 9-10 in postseason

And Eli just threw for more yards this season than Peyton ever did in his career. When it's all said and done, Eli will go done in history as the best of the Manning brothers, especially with his 2nd championship next weekend.

If Peyton manning is healthy and can make a comittment for at least 2 season, it's a no brainer. Would have to upgrade at RT, but we're doing that no matter what.

Sanchez is not the guy. Wishing it so is not changing things. And if youw ant to fantasize about him somehow turning it aorund elsewhere, not happening.

As to this being Namath with the Colts, or Unitas with the Bolts, or his dad with the Vikings, conditiiong and money make this a very different situation. And Favre until he got hurt here did a very good job, despite the wanking issues. This defense only has so much of a window. Grasp it now.

And frankly no matter what wasting another year with Pick 6 is a completely pointless.

If Peyton manning is healthy and can make a comittment for at least 2 season, it's a no brainer. Would have to upgrade at RT, but we're doing that no matter what.

Sanchez is not the guy. Wishing it so is not changing things. And if youw ant to fantasize about him somehow turning it aorund elsewhere, not happening.

As to this being Namath with the Colts, or Unitas with the Bolts, or his dad with the Vikings, conditiiong and money make this a very different situation. And Favre until he got hurt here did a very good job, despite the wanking issues. This defense only has so much of a window. Grasp it now.

And frankly no matter what wasting another year with Pick 6 is a completely pointless.

Jets get a chance to sign a HEALTHY Peyton, regardless of diminished skills, then they have to go for it. End of story.

Because of parity, the NFL has become like the NBA where superstars rule. In our case, the superstar QBs.

This is no longer the 1970s and 80s where super teams won. If Marino played now he'd have a SB ring or at least wouldve gone to more than 1 SB. Unless Sanchez becomes elite, the Jets have to find themselves an elite QB somewhere and Peyton is an option if available and healthy.

Remarkable how much better a defense can be when the QB is not a turnover/3 and out robot like Pick 6.

Remarkable how much better a defense can be when the QB is not a turnover/3 and out robot like Pick 6.

You would think so. Of course I have no idea what the Pats and Packers excuse is then.

My original post was in response to the notion that Eli is a better quarterback than Peyton because of "his" amazing playoff record.

So Peyton Manning is just going to make the running game formidable again? He's going to magically make Holmes and Burress get separation? He's going to turn Hunter into an average lineman?

He isn't healthy. There is no certainty he ever will be again to play professional football and there is no chance he comes here.

Revision the should of and would have and could have all you want but this was an 8-8 team this season and one player doesn't magically turn it all around.

Then explain to me how a team goes from a perennial playoff team IE Colts, 10-6 last year, and 14-2 the year before, to 2-14 losing just 1 player, oh yea that player being a healthy Peyton Manning, the exact player we are talking about here.

Obviously if he is not healthy we are not gonna acquire him, if healthy, and on the Jets for 16 games with the exact same players the Jets at tops lose 4 games tops. This includes a split with the Pats, and probably a division title, and the #2 seed at worst.

The offensive line becomes much better with Manning, he tells each lineman exactly which player to block pre snap, at the line of scrimmage, rarely being wrong, which cuts down on the confusion of guys like Hunter, this is part of the reason why Manning is always at the top of least sacked QB's every season.

If you don't think just swapping Manning for Sanchez in 2011 would have equaled minimum 2 more victories, you just haven't watched NFL football, and to say otherwise is absurd. And I am a huge Sanchez must stay, and be put in a system tailored to his strengths guy, and would rather see him here for the long haul, then replace him with Manning for 2-3 years (unless the Jets can figure a way to keep both, but as I understand that is pretty impossible).

If you don't think just swapping Manning for Sanchez in 2011 would have equaled minimum 2 more victories, you just haven't watched NFL football

We would have been 13-3 this year with a healthy Manning behind center and we wouldn't have gotten swept by New England. Arguing otherwise would be insanity.

Jets get a chance to sign a HEALTHY Peyton, regardless of diminished skills, then they have to go for it. End of story.

Because of parity, the NFL has become like the NBA where superstars rule. In our case, the superstar QBs.

This is no longer the 1970s and 80s where super teams won. If Marino played now he'd have a SB ring or at least wouldve gone to more than 1 SB. Unless Sanchez becomes elite, the Jets have to find themselves an elite QB somewhere and Peyton is an option if available and healthy.

I could not agree more, but will he be healthy in the next 38 days? Will he show enough progress that a team will want to sign him? Or even trade for him before he is cut?

I doubt it.

He was never cleared to practice. When it became clear they would get the first pick, it was in the Colts best interest to show Peyton as healthy as possible by having him practice so they can trade him before the 28 million dollar cap hit. It is ridiculous to think they can keep both. If he is healthy, a team like the Jets would gladly take on his contract because he is Peyton Manning. However, the Colts nor any team wants to take that 28 million dollar gamble.

A team will have to take a calculated risk with Peyton. Someone will sign him because it is worth the risk. It will all be in the hopes he will be ready.

I could not agree more, but will he be healthy in the next 38 days? Will he show enough progress that a team will want to sign him? Or even trade for him before he is cut?

I doubt it.

He was never cleared to practice. When it became clear they would get the first pick, it was in the Colts best interest to show Peyton as healthy as possible by having him practice so they can trade him before the 28 million dollar cap hit. It is ridiculous to think they can keep both. If he is healthy, a team like the Jets would gladly take on his contract because he is Peyton Manning. However, the Colts nor any team wants to take that 28 million dollar gamble.

A team will have to take a calculated risk with Peyton. Someone will sign him because it is worth the risk. It will all be in the hopes he will be ready.

I'd think it was in their interest to make sure he doesn't get injured playing/practicing so that they can cut him cleanly rather than show him off. The reason is that there will be no trading for Peyton Manning. He will be on the Colts or he will be released. They're not paying him $28M and then trading him, and he has zero incentive to move the payment date (if he's even allowed to) so the Colts can trade him where they want rather than Manning being in charge of where he goes himself.

I'd think it was in their interest to make sure he doesn't get injured playing/practicing so that they can cut him cleanly rather than show him off. The reason is that there will be no trading for Peyton Manning. He will be on the Colts or he will be released. They're not paying him $28M and then trading him, and he has zero incentive to move the payment date (if he's even allowed to) so the Colts can trade him where they want rather than Manning being in charge of where he goes himself.

Also from a PR perspective, it'll be easier to sell the fans on throwing Peyton away if it looks like he's toast. If Peyton was throwing the ball right now, Irsay would basically have to tell the world he's dumping Peyton Manning because he likes Andrew Luck better. It'd be messy.

Then explain to me how a team goes from a perennial playoff team IE Colts, 10-6 last year, and 14-2 the year before, to 2-14 losing just 1 player, oh yea that player being a healthy Peyton Manning, the exact player we are talking about here.

Obviously if he is not healthy we are not gonna acquire him, if healthy, and on the Jets for 16 games with the exact same players the Jets at tops lose 4 games tops. This includes a split with the Pats, and probably a division title, and the #2 seed at worst.

The offensive line becomes much better with Manning, he tells each lineman exactly which player to block pre snap, at the line of scrimmage, rarely being wrong, which cuts down on the confusion of guys like Hunter, this is part of the reason why Manning is always at the top of least sacked QB's every season.

If you don't think just swapping Manning for Sanchez in 2011 would have equaled minimum 2 more victories, you just haven't watched NFL football, and to say otherwise is absurd. And I am a huge Sanchez must stay, and be put in a system tailored to his strengths guy, and would rather see him here for the long haul, then replace him with Manning for 2-3 years (unless the Jets can figure a way to keep both, but as I understand that is pretty impossible).

The Colts built everything around Manning. Guys he was familiar with, a defense that would be comfortable playing with a lead, etc etc. I'm sure this season would have turned out much more positively if we had a healthy Peyton Manning. He's a Colt. He's not healthy. He's not sure if he can ever play again. Move on.

While it was in there interest to keep him healthy, it was also in there interest to show him healthy in the hope of trading him. I do nto think he ever was....but I digress.

Sperm at some point, they (i.e. Colts' brain trust) had a meeting when it became obvious they were getting the top pick. Keeping Peyton was not an option. He is 16 million in dead money now. That is 10% of the cap. 44 million after the bonus. That is a lot more. 33 million if cut after next season. Etc. Etc. If the TV money and expected salary cap increase was closer, maybe. So it was the Andrew Luck era time April.

I agree he is likely to get cut, but I also think there is a slight chance he could get traded. As the 7th gets closer, especially if he disaplys some form of being able to throw a pass reasonably close to what he used to, a team might ante up and trade for him when the impact of the remaining 4 years and 60 odd million would be less risky.

If you are KC or another team with 20+ million in cap space, do you want to get into a bidding war? It might be a small chance, but I think there is a chance, if he shows some form of health.

While it was in there interest to keep him healthy, it was also in there interest to show him healthy in the hope of trading him. I do nto think he ever was....but I digress.

Sperm at some point, they (i.e. Colts' brain trust) had a meeting when it became obvious they were getting the top pick. Keeping Peyton was not an option. He is 16 million in dead money now. That is 10% of the cap. 44 million after the bonus. That is a lot more. 33 million if cut after next season. Etc. Etc. If the TV money and expected salary cap increase was closer, maybe. So it was the Andrew Luck era time April.

I agree he is likely to get cut, but I also think there is a slight chance he could get traded. As the 7th gets closer, especially if he disaplys some form of being able to throw a pass reasonably close to what he used to, a team might ante up and trade for him when the impact of the remaining 4 years and 60 odd million would be less risky.

If you are KC or another team with 20+ million in cap space, do you want to get into a bidding war? It might be a small chance, but I think there is a chance, if he shows some form of health.

The problem is that it is very unlikely that he can move that option date to allow for the trade. If the Colts cut him now the dead cap is only around 10 million (there are some complex cap manuevers Indy made by putting the decision a few days before the 2012 league year to minimize the hits if they were to release him) but if they cant renegotiatie the date are on the hook for alot of cash.

I would also say this for Manning signing with a contending team with minimal cap room- there are ways (if Manning is willing to play ball and he may not be) to deflate that first year cap hit by a significant amount of money. As a player who played 0 games, threw for 0 yards, and 0 receptions a team could in theory put in very minimal performance based pay incentives and get no cap charge for them in 2012. It would kill in 2013, but most teams making a move for Manning are looking at 1-2 years anyway.

Former Jets running back Curtis Martin said that he believes the Jets should sign Peyton Manning in an interview with ESPN New York.

"That’s a great opportunity," said Martin. "I’m not saying anything against Mark Sanchez, but Peyton Manning, I have a lot of respect for the guy. I played against him for a number of years. I wouldn’t care who was on my team. If Peyton Manning was available, I would go after him." ESPN's Rich Cimini adds that there are ''growing indications'' that the Jets, despite public support for Sanchez, are monitoring the Manning situation closely, and could ''explore it further'' if/when he’s released

His bonus is due before the trade deadline.

The problem is that it is very unlikely that he can move that option date to allow for the trade. If the Colts cut him now the dead cap is only around 10 million (there are some complex cap manuevers Indy made by putting the decision a few days before the 2012 league year to minimize the hits if they were to release him) but if they cant renegotiatie the date are on the hook for alot of cash.

I would also say this for Manning signing with a contending team with minimal cap room- there are ways (if Manning is willing to play ball and he may not be) to deflate that first year cap hit by a significant amount of money. As a player who played 0 games, threw for 0 yards, and 0 receptions a team could in theory put in very minimal performance based pay incentives and get no cap charge for them in 2012. It would kill in 2013, but most teams making a move for Manning are looking at 1-2 years anyway.

If Peyton truly wants to be a Colt and retire a Colt, he could make something happen. They could push that bonus to the last 2 years of the contract. That way the remaining 16 million of the 20 million he received last year will be down to a more manageable amount when the Luck era starts.

In the end it easier just to cut him.

If Peyton truly wants to be a Colt and retire a Colt, he could make something happen. They could push that bonus to the last 2 years of the contract. That way the remaining 16 million of the 20 million he received last year will be down to a more manageable amount when the Luck era starts.

In the end it easier just to cut him.

If Manning wanted to remain a Colt the one way he could do it is to allow the Colts to release him in early March with the promise that they would re-sign him a few days later to an incentiive laden contract that is more cap friendly and protects the Colts in the event he can not play.

Common' Man He went out of this country to get stem cell therapy! THAT IS NOT A GOOD SIGN. Stop the insanity keep Sanchez...Namath was not the Super Bowl Hero until he started using Matt Snell and Emerson Boozer. Mark will be a very good QB who, I believe< will take one more step and get us to the Super Bowl....GO JETS

Former Jets running back Curtis Martin said that he believes the Jets should sign Peyton Manning in an interview with ESPN New York.

"That’s a great opportunity," said Martin. "I’m not saying anything against Mark Sanchez, but Peyton Manning, I have a lot of respect for the guy. I played against him for a number of years. I wouldn’t care who was on my team. If Peyton Manning was available, I would go after him." ESPN's Rich Cimini adds that there are ''growing indications'' that the Jets, despite public support for Sanchez, are monitoring the Manning situation closely, and could ''explore it further'' if/when he’s released

"i'm not saying anything against Mark Sanchez, but at #25 years old, and a former #5 overall pick heading into his 4th season, I would definitely replace him and any potential for his future with a 36 year old with a severe neck injury that kept him out of the league all year. That's not a reflection of Mark at all. Nope." -- Curtis Martin.

Get this done. This move is closer to the Jets bringing in Jason Taylor than it is Favre. Taylor was brought in because Gholston was a bust. Difference being, Taylor had been irrelevant for some time when this move was made. Peyton was not.

Lets be honest. If you put Manning in a uniform right now, as in today, he'd be better than Sanchez.

why would you want to cut a young quarterback who took your team to the conference championship game in his first two seasons (and BTW beat a healthy Horseface Manning in Indy in 2010 to get there for a 38 year old with multiple neck fusion surgeries???

Archived