Draft is OPEN!!!!!!!

pointman

Melvin Ingram is too small for Rex's defense.

Yeah, I get that. I'm just "ugh'ing" the fact that we'll be hearing these 2 get compared the next 4 years.

Oh, and the Pats just jumped up to 21 for Chandler Jones.

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 2012 NFL draft is still a long way away. In fact, we still haven't had free agency yet this year, but it's never too early to find out which college players you need to watch in only a few months time.

While both sides continue to fight for footing in the labor agreement, most would agree that we will eventually have an NFL season.

But that's not the topic of this article, and we know for a fact that the college football season will get underway in late August. We also know, for a fact, that the best player in college football is Andrew Luck.

The Stanford quarterback was the consensus No. 1 pick had he declared for the draft this year, but he decided to return to the Farm to complete his degree and enjoy college life for one more year.

It won't be a normal college life though, not with him carrying Heisman expectations into the season from the start of the summer, but it'll give scouts and coaches even more reasons to rave about his skills.

And while he'll very likely end the season as the top college prospect, there is one player who has gained a head of steam behind him.

North Carolina defensive end Quinton Coples, a 6'6" monster who benefited from increased exposure at the expense of all the suspended stars on the UNC defense last year, has earned some of the highest grades of all eligible players from draft services.

The UNC player and team got some great news the other day when an investigation into a post-draft party left question marks around Coples' eligibility, but he was eventually cleared and will play the entire season.

Now, the first pick of the 2012 draft will depend solely on which team it is—naturally the Panthers should pass on Luck if they earn the No. 1 pick again—but anything can happen over the course a season.

Here is very early look, with projected finish of current NFL teams still without free agent acquisitions, at the 2012 NFL draft.

1. Washington: Andrew Luck

2. Carolina: Quinton Coples

The only reason Gholston is mentioned with this guy is because Gholston would be mentioned with any of them. No one will let the Gholston thing go for a while...a while being next year after a ten sack rookie season.

Awesome.

Alright, you and JIF know more about these prospects than I do... you both seem content with this pick, so I am too.

Rex thinks Eric Smith is a good safety.

eh.. He just puts up with him and we still have an awesome pass defense. I 100% trust Rex on front 7 players. We don't know if Coples is going to work out, but for now I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

Two good things. One, they didn't trade up and still got the guy they obviously wanted. Second, they had their choice of all of the pass rushers (ignore Seattle's foolishness) and they chose Coples. With all due respect to some of the experts on this board, I'll go with Rex's expertise on defensive players.

I know very little about this from a personal standpoint, but the guy was considered elite after jr year and has a ton of size ... don't understand what's not to like.. all things being equal 6'6 >>>>>>>>>. 6'1

Two good things. One, they didn't trade up and still got the guy they obviously wanted. Second, they had their choice of all of the pass rushers (ignore Seattle's foolishness) and they chose Coples. With all due respect to some of the experts on this board, I'll go with Rex's expertise on defensive players.

Yeah that is what I am hoping for too. I really do wish this was the right move.

This I don't agree with , they wouldn't have taken the whole clock if this is who they wanted all along. They're basically the only team that's done it

I know very little about this from a personal standpoint, but the guy was considered elite after jr year and has a ton of size ... don't understand what's not to like.. all things being equal 6'6 >>>>>>>>>. 6'1

Indeed. But him looking half asleep didn't make me feel all that great.

Archived