Jim Leonhard says he is healthy

Jetfan13

Free-agent SS Jim Leonhard (Jets) said he is still hopeful of earning a spot at a team's training camp after suffering a knee injury last season. "I'm a free agent right now, hopefully in the next few weeks I get some workouts and get a contract," Leonhard said. "The knee is feeling great and I am ready to go. I am getting antsy, football is right around the corner and I don't have a team, kind of getting antsy ready to get back on that field. You just keep working, you keep grinding and good things are going to happen. I know I am going to be playing football somewhere this season, I just have to figure out where. I am excited for that day."

I'd throw him an offer for a one-year vet minimum deal. With Landry still recovering and Smith still sucking, another veteran safety in camp wouldn't exactly be the worst thing in the world.

Agreed. Especially considering he's the QB on the defense. He knows it better than anyone and we're currently having to teach what, 4 new safeties the system?

I agree with both of you, but you aren't getting THE QUARTERBACK for the vet min. Just by calling him that you are gonna have to open up the purse strings.

The Jets only paid him $2 million a year to be a starter when he was 3 years younger then and not coming off back to back seasons where he ended up on IR. I'm not sure what team will be offering him much more than vet min, if any more at all.

Leonhard isn't a dummy. He is perfectly aware of his injury history and the severity of those injuries. I do not think a one-year veteran deal will be a problem for him -- and he would be a valuable addition on more than one level.

I like Leonhard okay and he's not a bad option, but the team is already going to be carrying Landry, Smith and Bell. Ideally you want some young hungry up and comers - like the draft picks and some UDFAs to be grooming to take over. Whoever else they carry will have to contribute on specials. Leonhard was an okay return option, but I don't remember him making any impact on the coverage teams. Not a bad option if you expect at least one of the 3 vets to be out, but IMO the team should not carry those 4 bloated old goats on top of the safety depth chart.

I like Leonhard okay and he's not a bad option, but the team is already going to be carrying Landry, Smith and Bell. Ideally you want some young hungry up and comers - like the draft picks and some UDFAs to be grooming to take over. Whoever else they carry will have to contribute on specials. Leonhard was an okay return option, but I don't remember him making any impact on the coverage teams. Not a bad option if you expect at least one of the 3 vets to be out, but IMO the team should not carry those 4 bloated old goats on top of the safety depth chart.

While I'm in favor of bringing back Leonhard, I agree with this concept as far as the final roster goes. That said, with Landry's health, Bell's age and Smith's sucktitude, I would hardly be ready to count on these three guys all being sure-fire things for this team come September. Beyond that, it's tough to know what the Jets will end up getting out of their young safeties when you consider that you're looking at a couple of 6th and 7th round picks. If they can get Leonhard for cheap, let everyone fight it out in camp and see what happens. Just because they bring him in doesn't mean he has to be a lock to make the roster.

While I'm in favor of bringing back Leonhard, I agree with this concept as far as the final roster goes. That said, with Landry's health, Bell's age and Smith's sucktitude, I would hardly be ready to count on these three guys all being sure-fire things for this team come September. Beyond that, it's tough to know what the Jets will end up getting out of their young safeties when you consider that you're looking at a couple of 6th and 7th round picks. If they can get Leonhard for cheap, let everyone fight it out in camp and see what happens. Just because they bring him in doesn't mean he has to be a lock to make the roster.

Yeah. I'm not against bringing him in, but I am against having all four of those guys on the final roster.

Yeah. I'm not against bringing him in, but I am against having all four of those guys on the final roster.

Agree, with the only exception being if both of the rookies are so horrendously awful that one (or both) don't even make the final roster, and the Jets don't want them seeing the field this year.

Agree, with the only exception being if both of the rookies are so horrendously awful that one (or both) don't even make the final roster, and the Jets don't want them seeing the field this year.

Even if that is the case, I would prefer to carry someone along the lines of Tracy Wilson, Emannuel Cook, Keith Fitzhugh or Donovan Warren. Even just an extra corner. I won't argue the merits of any of those guys vs. Leonhard, but I'd like some youth and coverage upside. It's a young man's game.

Leonhard is small, older, and coming off of two season ending injuries. Thanks for the help, Jim, and good luck to you!

I'd have no interest in bringing him back unless someone gets hurt in training camp. The Jets prefer having two LB-type safeties back there most of the time, anyway. Also, they may've found a good one in Josh Bush, and I'd like to see him get a lot of work in camp. He's Leonhard's replacement as a center fielder back there. The last area where Leonhard was really useful was as a hands guy on the punt return team, but I think they pretty much have that taken care of, too.

Leonhard is small, older, and coming off of two season ending injuries. Thanks for the help, Jim, and good luck to you!

I'd have no interest in bringing him back unless someone gets hurt in training camp. The Jets prefer having two LB-type safeties back there most of the time, anyway. Also, they may've found a good one in Josh Bush, and I'd like to see him get a lot of work in camp. He's Leonhard's replacement as a center fielder back there. The last area where Leonhard was really useful was as a hands guy on the punt return team, but I think they pretty much have that taken care of, too.

I'm not so sure about that LB comparison considering I'm pretty sure most LBs could even cover better than Eric Smith. As far as the current safeties though, I would agree with you if there was reason to believe Landry would have no health issues, Bell's age wouldn't catch up to him, Smith would learn how to stop falling over for no apparent reason and that the Jets will get something out of Bush & Allen this year. I think it's unlikely (to say the least) that this all comes to pass. At this point I think he would be nothing more than a bench/rotational guy and I agree that I'd want to see the rookies get plenty of time and reps in camp, but I don't think it'd be that to manage. Not that I think Leonhard is of vital importance, but having another veteran safety on the radar wouldn't be bad in case the need rises (which I think there's a good chance it could), and one who knows the system wouldn't exactly be the worst thing.

I may have missed something, but who has this taken care of?

Kerley was actually more than fine on that front. He only had one muff last year, but had the unfortunate timing of getting benched for it just because of the ridiculous amount of fumbling that was going on throughout the team at that time, and particularly special teams (which if I recall correctly, was really mostly McKnight, Holmes and Cro).

As far as the current safeties though, I would agree with you if there was reason to believe Landry would have no health issues, Bell's age wouldn't catch up to him, Smith would learn how to stop falling over for no apparent reason and that the Jets will get something out of Bush & Allen this year. I think it's unlikely (to say the least) that this all comes to pass.

All of it doesn't really have to pass, though. That's five bodies for two starting spots. Probably enough. If you're looking for additional depth, it doesn't seem to me that a smallish 30 year old who's finished the last two years on IR would be the best choice, regardless of his experience in the system.

If Laundry isn't going to be ready to start the season, I look at it differently. But I don't think that's the case.

I also don't think the safety position is of critical importance to the Jets, anyway. I suspect that if they look at the position at all, they'll be looking at young guys they might be able to add to their practice squad. When it comes to adding players to the roster, I think the Jets will be placing their focus on offense; TE, OL, and RB, in particular.

Archived