THE MATT SLAUSON ERA IS OVER

T0mShane

Did we even try to re-sign him??? He was def servicable and probably cheap not sure why we let him go.

Not only was there no attempt to re-sign him, they couldn't get rid of him quick enough.  Remember the way the team jerked him around last year splitting snaps with Vlad.  I just don't get it -- Slauson developed into a very serviceable player (at worst) and is better than Vlad in every way.  It is going to be really ugly with Vlad as the annointed starter.

Not only was there no attempt to re-sign him, they couldn't get rid of him quick enough.  Remember the way the team jerked him around last year splitting snaps with Vlad.  I just don't get it -- Slauson developed into a very serviceable player (at worst) and is better than Vlad in every way.  It is going to be really ugly with Vlad as the annointed starter.

Once again, I will defer the Nerd Herd, but I don't think Slauson graded out very well. I think his pass protection was fairly poor and he is no road grader.  I actually noticed Vlad on the field for a few of our TDs and we didn't have many more than a few.  Ducasse had been horrible, but was not noticeable last year.  Guys do sometimes turn out okay. Pouha sucked most of his first few years.  Then Rex came around and all of sudden he is great.  I will say that even if he turns out okay, Vlad does not seem like a good match for Mornhinweg.

The reality with Slauson comes down to two different things:

1.  While he was far from great, you cannot complain about getting a 3-year starter out of a 6th round on his rookie contract.  Definitely a great ROI there.

2.  The idea of Vlad being a starter is a frightening concept to many.

Actually Slauson was a very good pass blocker, and a below average run blockerChicago Bears sign guard Matt Slauson to one-year deal

By Adam Oestmann, today at 2:25 pm

The Bears were down arguably their best offensive lineman from the 2012 season after losing Lance Louis to the Miami Dolphins in Free Agency. G.M. Phil Emery made up for the loss on Friday, inking former Jets’ guard Matt Slauson to a one-year contract.

“We are excited that Matt will be a Bear,” Emery said. “He brings physical play and smarts to the offensive guard position and to the offensive line as an overall unit. His size, strength and power will allow him to challenge for either of the starting guard positions.”

Slauson (27) is a former sixth-round pick out of Nebraska and is currently listed at 6’5”, 315. He received a respectable overall +2.5 grade from Pro Football Focus (PFF), who ranked him the ninth-best free agent guard in 2013 among their top-10.

Here’s what PFF said (linked above):

Slauson is one of the Jets’ few recent picks to actually overachieve his draft position. He graded +5.1 as a pass blocker after surrendering only 14 pressures on his 436 block attempts. However, he had a sub-par year in the running game that saw him grade at -4.2 for the season. Still, he’s graded in the green in all three years as a starter and he represents a respectable option.

Slauson has started 48 of 51 games played in since being drafted in 2009. He did not allow a sack in 2012 and has helped the Jets rush for no less than 1,600 yards since becoming a full-time starter. He gives the Bears a solid option at either tackle position and helps their flexibility in the upcoming Draft.

I believe that I got the pass/run thing wrong, but I don't believe that he didn't give up a sack in 2012. 

This is how ****ed up these stats are:  

Slauson (27 years old) is a bit taller than most offensive guards and cannot get the same type of leverage in the run game as some of his shorter, rounder counterparts. As such, he won't be a mauler as a run blocker, yet in pass protection, Slauson is solid. According to Pro Football Focus, he was the 20th best pass-blocking guard in the league in 2012, three spots behind Louis, and allowed just one sack.

http://nebraska.scout.com/2/1279110.html

These guys are quoting the same source!

Archived