Holmes Calls Panthers' Secondary Their Weakest Link

flgreen

Santonio Holmes calls Panthers' secondary their 'weakest link'

BY SETH WALDER

Santonio Holmes may not have wanted to hand the Panthers’ defensive backs some bulletin board material Thursday, but he did anywa. Holmes called out the back end of Carolina’s defense Thursday in anticipation of the Jets’ showdown with the 9-4 Panthers Sunday in Charlotte.

“We do know not to call these guys out, but their secondary is probably their weakest link on their defense,” Holmes said. “Just from the numbers perspective, guys in their position, nothing from our judgment, that puts those guys in that category. It’s the way they’ve been ranked throughout the NFL.”

Holmes is technically right: the Panthers have allowed the fifth-most pass yards in the NFL, which, compared to their league-best rushing defense, makes them weaker. But then again, he is talking about one of the best pass defenses in the entire league, and now they have a little extra motivation.

“Their front seven, they’re guys that are really going to get after the ball,” Holmes said. “Really great pass rushers. We know how physical these guys are. They hustle, on and off the field, sideline to sideline.”

Asked if he expects a big passing game as a result, Holmes said, “I can’t expect that. I mean I expect it every game, but this game would be no different.”

Twitter.com/SethWalderNYDN

They give up the 5th most passing yards but they're "one of the best pass defenses"? Huh?

Carolina yields an 82 passer rating against. Your Rex Ryan Jets yield a 93 passer rating against. How putrid is that, you ask? There are only 9 quarterbacks in the league with a +93 passer rating.

Carolina yields an 82 passer rating against. Your Rex Ryan Jets yield a 93 passer rating against. How putrid is that, you ask? There are only 9 quarterbacks in the league with a +93 passer rating.

Its not Rexs fault every corner he has wasn't coached better before getting here

Archived