John Idzik deserves more respect

Jetknowledge

I see alot of John idzik haters but I just want to point out John in his 1st year came in a organization with a roster having plenty holes, bad cap situation, the best player asking for an idiotic deal, and being told who his coach had to be.

This team was projected to go 2-4 wins by most experts, but fell just short of the playoffs and in his first year as gm he braught us a DROY...

Doesn't he deserve more respect?

Early results positive on idzik. Even if geno never becomes the guy it was a smart pick in second round to roll the dice on a potential franchise passer. Last year's off season pickups were impressive given the zero flexibility cap situation. This off season could very well set in motion the events that lead to idzik's failure or long term success here.

yeah, I think the general consensus is, so far...so good, on Idzik.  The Revis situation was well-handled and netted us the DROY in trade.  We also get an extra third rounder this year and don't have to pay an assload of money for him.  Winters, Geno, Bhannon, Richardson, Milliner...rookies who have all seen starting reps.  Bad luck with Goodson, but a steal in Chris Ivory (kudos for bringing in two instead of putting all eggs in one basket).  Solid performances by Willie Colon and Dawan Landry, as well as a nice low-risk pickup in Winslow, and a nice find in WR Nelson.  A really good position for the coming year cap-wise and lots of picks in this year's draft. And a toned-down, more business like approach from the entire team.  One year of no Tannenbaum has been a relief.  Hopefully we're going the right way.  

I see alot of John idzik haters but I just want to point out John in his 1st year came in a organization with a roster having plenty holes, bad cap situation, the best player asking for an idiotic deal, and being told who his coach had to be.

This team was projected to go 2-4 wins by most experts, but fell just short of the playoffs and in his first year as gm he braught us a DROY...

As far as I am concerned, I love IDZIK, and except for one decision (which I think the owner overruled him), I think this guy will be a great GM, and I support him 100%.

This place is loaded with haters, really haven't seen a lot of Idzik haters, though.

Have you tried imagining them here? That seems to work. I don't remember the last time I saw a poster go after Idzik. Those big blue steel Football Eyes could melt even the hardest of hearts. Plus its pretty obvious hes going to be a good one.

yeah, I think the general consensus is, so far...so good, on Idzik.  The Revis situation was well-handled and netted us the DROY in trade.  We also get an extra third rounder this year and don't have to pay an assload of money for him.  Winters, Geno, Bhannon, Richardson, Milliner...rookies who have all seen starting reps.  Bad luck with Goodson, but a steal in Chris Ivory (kudos for bringing in two instead of putting all eggs in one basket).  Solid performances by Willie Colon and Dawan Landry, as well as a nice low-risk pickup in Winslow, and a nice find in WR Nelson.  A really good position for the coming year cap-wise and lots of picks in this year's draft. And a toned-down, more business like approach from the entire team.  One year of no Tannenbaum has been a relief.  Hopefully we're going the right way.  

Yes this is a good recap. He did quiet type moves beside the Revis trade and made the front office respectable again

How can anyone dump on a GM after only one year?

I've said it before you can't praise or dump on him till we see what happens. . He didn't do much really he had some good things and bad we went 8-8 next year we could go 6-10 with our schdule but actually be improved !

A 4 win team winning 8 games should be highly credited to the HC. Drafting Richardson had more to do with the previous scouting team than the new comer GM. The GM may have had a say but he had to rely on Tanny's scout team, whether u like it or not.

Managing the cap was almost entirely on Idziks shoulder n he did a great job there. From the time he walked in, he's done very good n I hope he can translate that into his first complete off season.

He drafted the best player of the 2013 draft and played a decent hand of risk/reward with the Geno pick. The fact that the mentality seems to be that they're not handing Geno anything is encouraging. Unloading Revis for a 1st and a 3rd looks like that one will be looked at highly when all is said and done.

It is certainly a bit concerning that he's now on Rex's jock, however.

It's still a wait and see for me.   The Seahawks just won a super bowl with many guys not drafted in the first few rounds.  And yet they were the best team in the NFL this season.      It's nice to have stats and a DROY,  but at the end of the day,  winning teams seem to know how to add depth and players year after year.   The Jets have a Defense stacked with a bunch of first rounders.  And they aren't all that great of a defense.  They are good, but not great.  

The Seahawks have how many first rounders on that defense ?  And they were the best scoring defense of the season and best all around team. And They have a 3rd round QB in his second season.   They have an undrafted WR making big plays in a super bowl.   Hell Harvin who missed most of the season made plays in the super bowl.    All I know is when I look at the Seahawks, I just see a team who knows how to build a winning team.    

I would love to see the Jets do the same and Idzik follow the same pattern. 

He drafted the best player of the 2013 draft and played a decent hand of risk/reward with the Geno pick. The fact that the mentality seems to be that they're not handing Geno anything is encouraging. Unloading Revis for a 1st and a 3rd looks like that one will be looked at highly when all is said and done.

The only issue I have with Idzik was not bringing Slausen back. We couldn'r sign him for reasonable money? Other than that, I think his player moves have been inexpensive and smart. Solid "B" after his first year in the big chair.

This, all day e'ry day.

Meh.

I wouldn't worry too much about the "Idzik + Rex Best Friends" campaign, it's just a front to shut the press and fans up about the whole "Rex isn't Idzik's guy" narrative. 

Rex is a defensive minded, players coach. A guy with the same make-up just won the Superbowl, with players Idzik did in fact help accumulate.

Bad luck with Goodson, but a steal in Chris Ivory (kudos for bringing in two instead of putting all eggs in one basket).  

The Goodson saga isn't over yet. We could look pretty stout out of the backfield with Ivory, Powell and a healthy (and not in the sh!tcan) Goodson. 

Certainly the high point of the offense as we sit here the day after the SB.

This, all day e'ry day.

Mhis, mall may me'ry may.

The Goodson saga isn't over yet. We could look pretty stout out of the backfield with Ivory, Powell and a healthy (and not in the sh!tcan) Goodson. 

Certainly the high point of the offense as we sit here the day after the SB.

Wouldn't mind swapping Powell out with Ka'Deem the Dream or one of those other draft backs in that situation. I think Goodson is interesting and talented, but really don't care if he comes back just because of the position itself. 

It's still a wait and see for me.   The Seahawks just won a super bowl with many guys not drafted in the first few rounds.  And yet they were the best team in the NFL this season.      It's nice to have stats and a DROY,  but at the end of the day,  winning teams seem to know how to add depth and players year after year.   The Jets have a Defense stacked with a bunch of first rounders.  And they aren't all that great of a defense.  They are good, but not great.  

That's one of the many reasons the previous GM got fired. Hard to add quality depth when you're trading away picks year after year. One of the things Idzik seemed to be doing last season was positioning himself purposely to acquire additional comp picks. Purposely targeting cut players rather than free agents, so his free agent losses wouldn't be offset. Pretty clever. That would look to be an indication that he fully understands that the team needs depth, and a lot of it.

It'll be interesting to see if he makes any of the big splashes in free agency this year that fans are always rooting for. Decker, Orakpo, etc. I don't expect that. I suspect he'll look to bring in a higher number of lower priced players, rather than one or two big ticket items. But we'll see. Should be fun.

So many people post here about something being or not being Idzik's style. Lol. The truth is that we really have no idea what his style is. We can make inferences based on the way the Seahawks were put together, but we don't know. Remember when there was no way a guy like John Idzik wouldn't fire Rex at his earliest opportunity?

The only issue I have with Idzik was not bringing Slausen back. We couldn'r sign him for reasonable money? Other than that, I think his player moves have been inexpensive and smart. Solid "B" after his first year in the big chair.

Who knows, it's hard to grade an offseason on its own after only one year. The o-line was mishandled. Going all in on Howard for the year was meh and leaving the LG battle to Ducasse vs Winters was not good either. The Goodson and Garrard signings were also complete wastes of time and money. These are all fixable things going into this year, but if they don't get handled then when we look back the 2013 offseason will be the genesis of the pattern.

Who knows, it's hard to grade an offseason on its own after only one year. The o-line was mishandled. Going all in on Howard for the year was meh and leaving the LG battle to Ducasse vs Winters was not good either. The Goodson and Garrard signings were also complete wastes of time and money. These are all fixable things going into this year, but if they don't get handled then when we look back the 2013 offseason will be the genesis of the pattern.

Not sure how the Goodson signing was a COMPLETE waste of time.  In the limited touches he got we saw basically a perfectly complimentary RB for our RBBC; he looked like a nice 3rd down back to help make up for Ivory's inability to adequately catch passes.  His off the field troubles and injury weren't really on Idzik.

Archived