DeSean Jackson (MERGED)

LAD_Brooklyn

• Replies 564
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Where did you read that? I feel like that should have got it done.

20 year old kid reported it out of New York. Really credible. (Sarcasm)

Gang green nation first tweeted it being a rumor, then someone else, can't remember, I read it early this morning, disregarded it because of no one else had spoke about it. I'd disregard it as I am. I apologize for the false hope

Geno/Vick 

Ivory, Powell, Deanthony Thomas

Decker, DJax, Marquis Lee, Kerley, Hill/Nelson

Cumberland, Seferian-Jenkins

now we're talking

Rex Ryan would commit suicide if we where to ever think about using our 1st 3 picks not only for offense, but 3 offense of skill players.

yes, some wishful thinking in my post above. 

but I think those could be our 1st/3rd/5th round picks if some of those guys fall... 1/Lee 3/ASJ 5/DThomas

Wishing thinking all right as I like those picks. Hate ASJ and I probably said numerous time that I don't want him at all but I would have to do a 180 if we're talking 3rd round. I would like to go

1- Lee

2- Amaro (trade up)

3- Jackson (G)

4- Thomas

But Rex will get in the way of this but for good reason.

yes, some wishful thinking in my post above. 

but I think those could be our 1st/3rd/5th round picks if some of those guys fall... 1/Lee 3/ASJ 5/DThomas  

I wish but I doubt Deanthony Thomas falls that far

We'd almost certainly have to trade up for Marquise Lee as well

One player, unless it's a QB, rarely makes any team an instant contender. 

Disagree the guy is a highlight reel adds explosiveness at WR and special teams other players benefit and feed off a guy like this.

Did the Broncos win the Super Bowl with Peyton Manning?

But this is the same weapon that can help progress that QB it take to makes us Playoff contender? But with that said we still need more to even be sure.

Playoff contender yes, but the type of contender that JW12 was talking about, certainly not.  Desean is a heck of a player, but I don't like him at the price he will be looking for, in addition to the headache he seems to bring. I won't be upset at the move, it's just not one I'd like them to make. Obviously Jackson is proven at this level, but you look at someone like Cooks who has all the required skills to perform just like Djax and will be a fraction of the cost. Despite being taller and heavier, he ran a faster 40, 3-cone and shuttle as well as having a higher vert, more reps on the bench and greater college production. 

The guaranteed money is probably over & done with.  The amount that the Eagles have to absorb is the acceleration of the amortized signing bonus money - money paid to him in the past - that hadn't yet hit their cap.  I forget but I think it was something like $6M.  If they keep Jackson, that will be $2M/year this year, $2M next year, and $2M in 2016.  If they dump him now, all $6M hits this year.  If they dump him in June, it's $2M now and the rest (the other $4M) next year.

Guaranteed money is just how much the team guarantees paying the player, no matter what form that payment comes in.  Sometimes it's mostly signing bonus, and sometimes it's just guaranteeing certain years of their salary.  Pretty common now to guarantee the first 2 years, give or take a year, whatever that comes to with or without bonus.  I don't know his exact contract structure from start to finish (though I'm sure if you dig around you can find it).  

For the sake of illustration, let's pretend it's exactly 5 years, $50M, with a $10M signing bonus and $20M guaranteed.  

Say the first year's salary was $2M.  That means by the end of year 1, they've already paid him $12M of guaranteed money.  They still must pay him $8M more, which effectively means his year 2 salary was also guaranteed.  

That's all in the past now.  He has 3 years and $30M left on his 5 year deal, at around $10M per season.  Probably zero of it is guaranteed from here on out, by the Eagles or by the team that trades for him, unless his original deal called for more than $20M guaranteed.

We had that with David Harris.  It wasn't just that Tannenbaum gave him 4 years $36M.  That was bad enough for a player of his level.  It's that he guaranteed $30M of it (think it was $29.6M?), meaning he was too expensive to cut, too expensive to trade, and truthfully he was too expensive to keep.  Tannenbaum probably figured he would redo his contract by signing him to an extension so the cap wouldn't have been hit to the tune of $13M last season.  Just an awful signing if that was the money Harris was demanding.

Same thing with Holmes.  He had so much guaranteed, that he couldn't be cut after 1 year of his new deal (though the Jets clearly wanted to).  Unfortunately, keeping him for year 2 guaranteed not just year 2 but also $7M or $8M (I forget) of year 3.  That's why when Idzik redid Holmes's contract, he redid it down to $7M-ish.  Holmes was guaranteed that amount with or without the team.  Since the team was going to pay for his rehab and training and would also give him a year to showcase his healthy lisfranc for a 2014 team to be interested in him, he agreed.  But as soon as that guaranteed money was finished being paid, Idzik (appropriately) dumped him.

cool thanks Sperm. I was hoping it would have lowered his salary by at least a few mil cause idzik seems a bit frugal . I hope if we do sign this guy hes not a loud mouth like Holmes but I guess that's wishfull thinking what I ve seen so far does not look promising from the team player standpoint

Playoff contender yes, but the type of contender that JW12 was talking about, certainly not.  Desean is a heck of a player, but I don't like him at the price he will be looking for, in addition to the headache he seems to bring. I won't be upset at the move, it's just not one I'd like them to make. Obviously Jackson is proven at this level, but you look at someone like Cooks who has all the required skills to perform just like Djax and will be a fraction of the cost. Despite being taller and heavier, he ran a faster 40, 3-cone and shuttle as well as having a higher vert, more reps on the bench and greater college production.

What price exactly is he looking for in the open market? Not sure that's been speculated although we can all come up with an educated guess. As for the advantages of Cook vs Jackson is obvious although I have a problem with you comparing college production. The only thing you hadn't brought up is the advantages of having Jackson and the ability in using our 1st rounder else where. How much better would our team be in having both Jackson and let's say Pryor (S), Dennard (CB), Amaro (TE), then just having Cook?

What price exactly is he looking for in the open market? Not sure that's been speculated although we can all come up with an educated guess. As for the advantages of Cook vs Jackson is obvious although I have a problem with you comparing college production. The only thing you hadn't brought up is the advantages of having Jackson and the ability in using our 1st rounder else where. How much better would our team be in having both Jackson and let's say Pryor (S), Dennard (CB), Amaro (TE), then just having Cook?

I have no idea the price he's looking for, but one can speculate that at the very least it's on par with his current contract. He was already grumbling about wanting a new deal after only completing one year of the recent extension he signed. Granted, asking and getting are two entirely different things, but I don't see anyone getting him for under $9-$10.

What's your problem with comparing college production? I used it as one of the handful of things Cooks had over Jackson, not as a major or sole indicator of future success. I like to have my first round wideouts actually have college production, that's why I mentioned it. When you add his production, size and measurables, it's clear why I think he's a better prospect coming out of college than DJax.

It's not just Djax + 1st rounder vs Cooks, it's Djax + 1st rounder vs Cooks + $8ish mill in cap space. More likely than not, the scenario with Jackson pays off more quickly, but I just am leery of his constant contract demands and health throughout the duration of the contract.

cool thanks Sperm. I was hoping it would have lowered his salary by at least a few mil cause idzik seems a bit frugal . I hope if we do sign this guy hes not a loud mouth like Holmes but I guess that's wishfull thinking what I ve seen so far does not look promising from the team player standpoint

I'm sure he will be a loudmouth.  If he manages 1100-1300 receiving yards I don't care if he's a bigger loudmouth than me in a combined Mark Sanchez Appreciation + Is Very Underrated thread.

Rumor: New York Jets Offered 4th/5th Rounder For DeSean Jackson

By Scott Salmon  @ScottSalmon48 on Mar 23 2014, 10:13p 517

180159163.0_standard_709.0.jpg

There is a rumor that the New York Jets have offered the Philadelphia Eagles a fourth and fifth round draft pick for DeSean Jackson:

DYST Now is a Syracuse newspaper. They have a mixed history of breaking stories, however they were the first to report the Eric Decker signing, so I'll give them some credit. They've said their source is the same as the Decker signing as well, and that the Eagles are still holding out for the third round pick.

Take this with a grain of salt.

The Jets better not trade that 3rd rounder. Either get him for that 4th/5th or sign him if they release him and keep all your picks. 

Philadelphia, PA (SportsNetwork.com) - The impending divorce between DeSean Jackson and the Philadelphia Eagles isn't about irreconcilable differences, it's about tough love and one side throwing its hands up before things spiral completely out of control.

In the last week or so, multiple media reports have said trade talks for Jackson have escalated to a fever pitch and on Monday Philly.com broke the news that the Eagles decided to move on from the three-time Pro Bowl selection well over a month ago.

On the surface, that all seems strange. After all, Jackson is coming off his best season, compiling 82 receptions for 1,332 yards and nine touchdowns in his first campaign under the offensive genius of Chip Kelly.

On paper, Jackson seems like a perfect fit for Kelly's innovative offensive mind, a versatile player who can line up all over the field and serve as the ultimate home run hitter for ascending young quarterback Nick Foles.

So what went wrong?

The Eagles are still playing up Jackson's potential 2014 salary cap hit, which is well into eight figures, as the biggest issue. The spin there is that the team has cheaper options at receiver like Riley Cooper and Jeremy Maclin, who is returning from a torn ACL, and could draft a suitable replacement like Oregon State speedster Brandin Cooks.

And that's certainly a possibility because Kelly clashed with Jackson early in his tenure in Philly and most are not going to find it all that far-fetched to believe the second-year coach has the hubris to believe a player like Cooks could hit the ground running under his tutelage.

The real elephant is the room here, however, is Jackson's behavior and it's not about his diva-like attitude, his complaints about assistant coaches or his previous belly-aching over money.

Recently, TMZ Sports unearthed a picture of Jackson flashing gang signs with rapper Nipsey Hussle. In the photograph, Jackson was clearly shown throwing a hand signal for the Rollin' 40s Crips, a street gang from the west side of South Los Angeles, Jackson's hometown.

It was the second time in recent months the 2009 All-Pro made that mistake. He also was seen throwing up a Crips gang sign at Washington Redskins defensive back DeAngelo Hall on the field back in September of last season.

Jackson also paid homage to his gang by naming his record label "Jaccpot Records" with the Cs standing for Crips. Meanwhile, in the video of a song titled "Diamonds on My Neck," featuring another famous former crip, Snoop Dogg, DeSean repeatedly threw similar gang signs.

Jackson's apologists correctly say the mere appearance of impropriety means nothing and point to the fact that while his behavior can be described as boorish at times, the star receiver has never gotten into any major off-the- field incidents.

Two league sources, however, confirmed to The Sports Network that an early January burglary in which Jackson was robbed of about $200,000 in cash, $125,000 in jewelry and a handgun raised some serious red flags within the Eagles organization.

It's completely unfair to bring up the name of Aaron Hernandez when discussing the Jackson situation save for one fact -- the Patriots ignored Hernandez's reported gang affiliation for far too long and unknowingly enabled the behavior which eventually put Hernandez in prison, awaiting trial on murder charges.

It's possible and perhaps fair to say Jackson has moved past any real gang ties and only throws signs in an effort to retain some sort "street credibility" for a potential rap career.

His employer, however, is in the process of making a business decision and weighing the pros and cons of keeping Jackson around, a process that reached a tipping point weeks ago.

The Eagles see Jackson as an immature guy more concerned about earning the respect of his "friends" from L.A., a man who sees football as just a job in which his athleticism enabled the money to come far too easily.

In their minds, Jackson's unwillingness or inability to leave a maladjusted group behind despite having the means, opportunity and obligation to do so, was the last straw.

Considering the Hernandez deal....it makes alotta sense now.

Archived