Who Will Be This Year's Whipping Boy?

F.Chowds

Every year there is one player who comes to symbolize the fans' frustration with a team. This isn't just with the Jets. Almost every fan base picks out a whipping boy, the guy who can do no right. The treatment isn't necessarily completely unfair. In most cases the player is simply not performing at an adequate level.

Last year it seemed like Clyde Gates took the title. He won it in a Week 2 contest in New England where he failed to make several relatively routine plays, any of which might have swung the result of the game. Even ending up on IR did not stop Jets fans from expressing their frustration with his play.

Who will that be this year? I'll guess Stephen Hill, the former second round pick who has accomplished little in the NFL. He has overwhelming athletic ability in a general sense, but the things he does well do not necessarily translate to a football field. He will have a chance to keep his starting job due to the Jets not targeting receiving talent in free agency outside of Eric Decker or on the first two days of the Draft. Unfortunately Hill has made almost no progress as a player. He is essentially the same receiver he was when the Jets drafted him. Even if he loses out on the competition to start, I imagine fans will continue to bring up his failure to develop at points where the offense struggles.

Who do you think the whipping boy will be?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Idzik, after first 2 games offense shreds, defense is stout. Go 2-0. Then Oline injury. Turnstile replacements. Geno gets hurt. Dog pound. Lots of ints. Finish 8-8. Board goes crazy after week 3. How could he not have gotten some depth for his ageing Oline? Geno gets a Pennington shoulder and is never the same, just a 2 week wonder. Our chance at salvation slips away...

Idzik, after first 2 games offense shreds, defense is stout. Go 2-0. Then Oline injury. Turnstile replacements. Geno gets hurt. Dog pound. Lots of ints. Finish 8-8. Board goes crazy after week 3. How could he not have gotten some depth for his ageing Oline? Geno gets a Pennington shoulder and is never the same, just a 2 week wonder. Our chance at salvation slips away...

I hate you.   :)

Never the same assumes Smith is any good. He is not. At a loss why Geno getting hurt would be a bad thing. He's the worst QB on the roster, and if Idzik hadn't picked him in the 2nd round he'd be a nonstarter.

It will be a rookie, forced to start out of need because of injury, they will naturally struggle like all rookies do and fans will naturally overreact and call him a bust because there is no in between with Jets fans and Rookies must be all pros day 1 no matter what round they were taken.

My guess, Dakota Dozier. And Tom and jgb will whine in every thread about how Rex can't develop offensive talent, meanwhile Geno, Winters and Hill all see vast marked improvement to which all the credit will go to Marty M.

Why would Geno have a worse winning percentage than last year?  What causes him to digress?

don't see a regression, i see a moderate improvement (he will still be bottom starting 5 QBs in NFL). but last year jets were historically lucky with scoring differential. the difference in my mind will be the schedule and return to the mean.

Mangold

I'm saying it to be unique, different and special. OTOH he's one of the most expensive on the roster, one of the oldest on the roster, has been nowhere near what he was at his peak with the Jets...Not that this plays into anything but Jonathan Goodwin, the guy sandwiched in between Mawae and Mangold, has been to two SBs and won one.

don't see a regression, i see a moderate improvement (he will still be bottom starting 5 QBs in NFL). but last year jets were historically lucky with scoring differential. the difference in my mind will be the schedule and return to the mean.

Not a big proponent of the strength of schedule.  Every year some teams are better than we expect and others are worse.  So basically the Jets will be less lucky this year and this will result in Geno showing moderate improvement and this causes us to lose two more games?  The additions on offense will not be good enough to counter the extra bad luck?  Does anyone have a site to luck up a luck metric?  Not familiar. Thanks. 

Not a big proponent of the strength of schedule.  Every year some teams are better than we expect and others are worse.  So basically the Jets will be less lucky this year and this will result in Geno showing moderate improvement and this causes us to lose two more games?  The additions on offense will not be good enough to counter the extra bad luck?  Does anyone have a site to luck up a luck metric?  Not familiar. Thanks. 

nope but we are fans doing what we do, expressing our opinions. first to admit my "analysis" wouldn't stand up to any sort of data monger but i don't care. i am usually right about the jets in that they always do less than this board's consensus. and that you can take to the bank.

nope but we are fans doing what we do, expressing our opinions. first to admit my "analysis" wouldn't stand up to any sort of data monger but i don't care. i am usually right about the jets in that they always do less than this board's consensus. and that you can take to the bank.

Maybe back in the day.  But right now? This board is a stale Kaiser Roll of negativity and nobody has a toaster. 

How'd you do with that last year?

i'd say a trend that has proven right like 7 of the last 8 years is pretty good money. or maybe you are right 100% of the time? ha!

So you were also spot on for the two AFC Championship runs?

Archived