Who will takeover for Rex?

Freemanm

I don't think it's too early to talk about this - even Rex knows his days are numbered.

There's always talk of Bill Cowher, which would be awesome, but it's highly unlikely. All things indicate he is perfectly happy working on TV, and it's highly doubtful that Woody would be willing to spend the money that it would undoubtedly take to hire him.

Someone mentioned Wade Philips, but seriously, while he's been a good DC, he's been an awful HC. Might as well rehire Kotite.

Marty Morningwhwg? Highly doubtful, given what happened in Detroit, but I actually hope he somehow stays as OC.

Would love to see Darrell Bevell from the Seahawks get the nod, but a lot of teams will be interested.

Rob Ryan? I wouldn't put it past Woody

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

your list of potential replacements sucks (no offense).

can't wait till they announce Rex is coming back next year.

lol if Rex comes back, Max will set a new traffic record for sure. the rage will be amazing. i hope it happens

Only guarantee I know= whoever it is somebody will complain.

if idzik makes the fire, absofrickinlutely

Belly without cheating and without Brady? How good is he really?

i'd wager pretty good considering how he did with the immortal matt cassel. and even after the cheating thing, they have won what? 9 out of 10 AFCE championships?

Has to be a guy that coaches a bit of offense. David Shaw would be a smart pick; knows how to develop QBs, runs a good program at Stanford, knows what a talented player looks like.

That's not a very Jetsy pick though, we'll end up appointing some clown

Has to be a guy that coaches a bit of offense. David Shaw would be a smart pick; knows how to develop QBs, runs a good program at Stanford, knows what a talented player looks like.

That's not a very Jetsy pick though, we'll end up appointing some clown

AP_Kansas%20Kansas%20St%20Foot_admi.jpg?

AP_Kansas%20Kansas%20St%20Foot_admi.jpg?

Makes sense.

They wouldn't have to spend on getting him new gear, he could just take all of Rex's coaching clothes...and they also wouldn't have to replace the huge ass chair in the office, or remove the extra large toilet seat in the restroom. Sounds like a move in-line with Idzik's cheapskate cap-saving principles.

Not sure where he ranks on the blowhard scale, but a mellower guy might draw less attention from the media; which is a good thing.

you could even switch them around right now and the players might not even notice.

I don't think it's too early to talk about this - even Rex knows his days are numbered.

There's always talk of Bill Cowher, which would be awesome, but it's highly unlikely. All things indicate he is perfectly happy working on TV, and it's highly doubtful that Woody would be willing to spend the money that it would undoubtedly take to hire him.

Someone mentioned Wade Philips, but seriously, while he's been a good DC, he's been an awful HC. Might as well rehire Kotite.

Marty Morningwhwg? Highly doubtful, given what happened in Detroit, but I actually hope he somehow stays as OC.

Would love to see Darrell Bevell from the Seahawks get the nod, but a lot of teams will be interested.

Bevell we sent sure how good he is as a head coach Things work well when u have a qb and we don't

He wanted nothing to do with Cleveland, who actually has some talent. So no way he settles for this mess of a franchise.

But I would like this hire.

People were turning down Cleveland because their front office is horrible. They go through head coaches the way most people change their socks.

Bowles (LOL @ "BOWELS") seems like an intriguing option.

Now we're talking.  Finally getting down to discussing who the best options are:

Ideally the 49ers would do something stupid (not likely) and let Harbaugh somehow fall into our lap.  That is my top choice.  He's tough.  Loves to run the rock.  Wins like crazy.  Demands excellence...nothing else.  My top choice.

Agreed, Harbaugh has to be our first priority. If Woody had any brains (yes, we all know that he doesn't), he'd approach the 49ers with trade packages for Harbaugh ASAP, then enter into discussions with Harbaugh about signing an extension here, and even possibly giving him full control. Give this entire front office, coaching staff, and scouting department the boot and let Jim bring in his own guys.

If that falls through, David Shaw would be my second choice.

IMO the question here is, what sought after HC candidate will want the job under the circumstances?  It seems likely that Rex will be fired, and Idzik will be given one more year to show he isn't a boob.  A lot of fans, and media think that if Rex goes, Idzik should also.

If Idzik does as poorly next offseason as he did this year, his head will most likely be on the block also.   If your a hot commodity as a HC, do you want to sign with a team who's GM has one foot on the platform, and one foot on the train.  If Idzik gets fired next year, where does it leave you?

Is Woody going to keep you in place, and force the next GM to keep Idzik's selection?

I'm in the camp that if Rex is chopped, Idzik should go also

IMO the question here is, what sought after HC candidate will want the job under the circumstances?  It seems likely that Rex will be fired, and Idzik will be given one more year to show he isn't a boob.  A lot of fans, and media think that if Rex goes, Idzik should also.

If Idzik does as poorly next offseason as he did this year, his head will most likely be on the block also.   If your a hot commodity as a HC, do you want to sign with a team who's GM has one foot on the platform, and one foot on the train.  If Idzik gets fired next year, where does it leave you?

Is Woody going to keep you in place, and force the next GM to keep Idzik's selection?

I'm in the camp that if Rex is chopped, Idzik should go also

Yup, I agree 100% with this. I also would bet a ton of money that Woody will F this up.

David Shaw will be offered the job but there is no way he is leaving Stanford. And they can watch whatever the Jets offer. Idzik ' s guy since the beginning has been Dan Quinn, but dollars to donuts he doesn't take it. Like Idzik, it will be the 5th choice.

He wanted nothing to do with Cleveland, who actually has some talent. So no way he settles for this mess of a franchise.

But I would like this hire.

Imagine if we got Jim Harbaugh--  then hired Mangini as DC.    The Tabloids in NYC would love it.   Seriously,  if Rex goes---  do we retain Marty or D. Thurman.....?

Bill Cowher is not the last person I would like to see them hire---but he is close.

Archived