GM/HC News, Updates, & Your Thoughts (THAT DO NOT WARRANT IT'S OWN THREAD)

Morrissey

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This really shows that the "Rex Tree" has absolutely no contacts on the offensive

side of the ball.  Cavanaugh????  That's the best Pettine can do for an OC candidate???

If you read your link, it looks like Pettine and Cavanaugh go back further than Rex.

Matt Cavanaugh reportedly “on the Browns’ radar” for OC opening

Posted by Josh Alper on January 9, 2015, 10:29 AM EST

The Browns need a new offensive coordinator now that they’ve decided to let Kyle Shanahan pursue his fortune elsewhere and a longtime associate of head coach Mike Pettine is reportedly in the mix for the job.

Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer reports that Matt Cavanaugh is “on the Browns’ radar” for the offensive coordinator job. Cavanaugh was the Bears’ quarterbacks coach under the now-fired Marc Trestman for the last two seasons and was on the Jets staff in the same position from 2009-2012.

He worked with Pettine, who was Rex Ryan’s defensive coordinator at the time, during that span and they also worked together with the Ravens and at the University of Pittsburgh earlier in their careers. Per Cabot, Cavanaugh helped Pettine get his first NFL job with Baltimore.

Cavanaugh was the Ravens’ offensive coordinator from 1999-2004 and picked up a Super Bowl ring during the 2000 season. He also served as the offensive coordinator during an earlier stint with the Bears and ran the offense at Pitt from 2005-2008 before moving back to the professional ranks.

Ravens fans DESPISED Cavanaugh's performance as OC.  "Cavafraud".  I always thought he was a terrible QB position coach while with the Jets.  Not one QB developed or improved while he was here.

Rots of ruck to Cleveland with that dope on board.

This brings me back to a question I had a few days ago: can the Jets start hiring coordinators and their assistants without having a head coach in place? Bring in their match at GM for Quinn, and put his staff together while he wins another Super Bowl? Is that even allowed?

We already have our head coach.  Rex is coming back next season.

@NBCdianna: Former Browns/Jets HC and current 49ers assistant Eric Mangini will interview for the Redskins DC job per sources.

I know Mangini will be the DC but can you imagine if he and Robert Griffin had anything to do with eachother.  The most inept "old school" "patriot way" guy and the prima donna qb who's never had to deal with adversity in his life until he started to suck in the NFL.  I would be glued to the tv and radio the comedy coming out of Washington would be amazing.

@MarkCannizzaro: #Jets owner @woodyjohnson4 met into the night over dinner w GM candidate Mike Maccagnan. No offer yet, but they are meeting again Saturday

that is interesting.  todays meeting could be to draw up the offer.  if they came away with cold feet last night, a meeting the next day doesn't make a whole lot of sense

I would be shocked if Maccagnan does not become GM.  I think the deal will be struck today.  The NFL does not want announcements of this nature on Gamedays, so I would think no official announcement till Monday.  It wouldn't shock me if insiders break the story of the hiring over the weekend.

As far as HC, I think people may be jumping the gun with Quinn.  While he may be the frontrunner, I have a gut feeling Bowles is still very much in the picture.  I think either hire would be solid.

I would be shocked if Maccagnan does not become GM.  I think the deal will be struck today.  The NFL does not want announcements of this nature on Gamedays, so I would think no official announcement till Monday.  It wouldn't shock me if insiders break the story of the hiring over the weekend.

As far as HC, I think people may be jumping the gun with Quinn.  While he may be the frontrunner, I have a gut feeling Bowles is still very much in the picture.  I think either hire would be solid.

Agree. For once, getting feeling Jets may be doing things correctly. Big stress on MAY, though. :winking0001:

Archived