GM/HC News, Updates, & Your Thoughts (THAT DO NOT WARRANT IT'S OWN THREAD)

Morrissey

Even if they wanted to do that, I don't think they can bring a guy over who's under contract without giving him a promotion. And I think the NFL sees thru titles like VP of Player Personnel.

Yeah, I figured that was a given. That's why this time of year, as teams like the Jets start interviewing guys that are integral parts of their current organization, they get "promotions" which is really just a silly title change and the all-important salary bump.

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I honestly wish we'd just hire Casserly or Wolf as the GM for a couple years, let them hire some of the people on their list, and groom their replacement.

I agree but you would assume Woody has already asked either of them already.

I'm surprised Casserly doesn't want it...

I wonder how much the media hand in helping to destroy Idzik is weighing on potential GM candidates?  I mean for roughly the same money is it worth it for the Saints guy or any other candidate to leave a cozy situation like he has to potentially be stoned to death by the beat reporters covering the Jets and/or wealthy fans who can afford to fly banners and rent billboards? 

Chris Ballard passes on interview with Jets
Posted by Mike Florio on January 5, 2015, 2:18 PM EST
ballard_chris-e1367618090578.jpg?w=167

Last year, Chiefs director of player personnel Chris Ballard passed on a chance to interview for the G.M. job in Tampa.  He wanted to stay with the Chiefs.

This year, per Albert Breer of NFL Media, Ballard has passed on a chance to interview for the G.M. job in New York.  Presumably, he has no desire to join the Jets.

Ballard is believed to have the inside track to become the G.M. of the Bears.  The Jets should have known that, and perhaps they shouldn’t have asked Ballard to interview.

That’s the problem for the Jets.  Their failure to get people to interview is creating the perception that no one wants the job.

Maybe in this case perception is reality.

They even put in snarky comments about how no one wants the Jet job.  I hate Florio.

Last year, Chiefs director of player personnel Chris Ballard passed on a chance to interview for the G.M. job in Tampa.  He wanted to stay with the Chiefs.

This year, per Albert Breer of NFL Media, Ballard has passed on a chance to interview for the G.M. job in New York.  Presumably, he has no desire to join the Jets.

Ballard is believed to have the inside track to become the G.M. of the Bears.  The Jets should have known that, and perhaps they shouldn’t have asked Ballard to interview.

That’s the problem for the Jets.  Their failure to get people to interview is creating the perception that no one wants the job.

They even put in snarky comments about how no one wants the Jet job.  I hate Florio.

Where are these snarky comments you speak of?     Also, no where does it say why he turned down an interview.

As for failure to get people to interview, this is the first person to turn down an interview that would interview with anyone.

Jets have interviewed tons of people for HC and GM.

Where are these snarky comments you speak of?     Also, no where does it say why he turned down an interview.

As for failure to get people to interview, this is the first person to turn down an interview that would interview with anyone.

Jets have interviewed tons of people for HC and GM.

The comments in bold seemed snarky to me.  Implying that no one wants the Jets job.  Someone turning down an interview doesn't mean no one wants the job.

Ballard has strong ties to the Bears, and they are supposedly ready to offer him their GM position (if they haven't already).  It sucks because he's considered a strong candidate, but it isn't a surprise that he declined to interview.  It sounds like he's getting the job that he wants.

I wonder how much the media hand in helping to destroy Idzik is weighing on potential GM candidates?  I mean for roughly the same money is it worth it for the Saints guy or any other candidate to leave a cozy situation like he has to potentially be stoned to death by the beat reporters covering the Jets and/or wealthy fans who can afford to fly banners and rent billboards?

I'm not interested in any GM candidate who's worried that they may be as bad at the job as John Idzik, warranting such a campaign.

I'm not interested in any GM candidate who's worried that they may be as bad at the job as John Idzik, warranting such a campaign.

Agreed, but unless you've already established your pedigree (like a Harbaugh) you're going to get micro managed to death here in the media and will be presumed wrong for everything you do. To some guys who are qualified that's a big negative. So you wind up with a big ego guy like Rex who can handle the heat but make not be the best overall candidate. 

Agreed, but unless you've already established your pedigree (like a Harbaugh) you're going to get micro managed to death here in the media and will be presumed wrong for everything you do. To some guys who are qualified that's a big negative. So you wind up with a big ego guy like Rex who can handle the heat but make not be the best overall candidate.

I think between the complete house-cleaning and the 4-12 record the team is coming off of, that the new guys will get to enjoy a little honeymoon. Yeah, they'll have to make some strides this year with all that cap space and the high pick, and if they can't they'll deserve the scrutiny.

I wonder if the fireidzik guys give anyone pause... The guy was an utter disaster but only on the job for 2 seasons... that's a quick rip cord and a loud, impatient fan base

That it looks like the owner was influenced by the fireidzik meatballs is the issue.

Jets to interview Miami's Dir of Scouting Chris Grier tomorrow for GM.

Grier was in Miami when Quinn was Miami's DL Coach 2007-08.

Jets requested to interview Grier after meeting with Quinn.

Grier's father worked with Casserly in Houston.

Schefter just posted that the eagles requested permission to tall to Ballard. He certainly would not have that much control there so we will see if he accepts or not.

@RapSheet: #Chiefs exec Chris Ballard is not expected to interview for #Eagles top personnel job that Philly requested him for. Lack of final say hurts

Everbody turns us down but they'd interview for the Raiders and Tampa Bay I bet. They way we treated

Idzik is going to come back and haunt us. Too bad.

And when someone who does have the balls to take the job comes along.. we know we have someone special at GM... or another mindless reject.

Everbody turns us down but they'd interview for the Raiders and Tampa Bay I bet.  They way we treated

Idzik is going to come back and haunt us.  Too bad.

This isn't really happening.

Everbody turns us down but they'd interview for the Raiders and Tampa Bay I bet. They way we treated

Idzik is going to come back and haunt us. Too bad.

Six interested candidates (and counting), including one of Idzik's colleagues from Seattle interviewing = Everybody turning us down.

Damn that Woody Johnson for admitting his mistake quickly and trying to rectify it.

Per Pat Kirwan he believes it will be Chris Grier as GM & Todd Bowles as HC. He said "a little birdie didn't stop to talk to him but dropped off s note."

Grier a Casserly guy

Bowles a Wolf guy (and Parcells)

Bowles in Miami while Grier there

Per Pat Kirwan he believes it will be Chris Grier as GM & Todd Bowles as HC. He said "a little birdie didn't stop to talk to him but dropped off s note."

Grier a Casserly guy

Bowles a Wolf guy (and Parcells)

Bowles in Miami while Grier there

Interesting combination, they have a past history from MIA.  Also, I think

Casserly drafted Bowles in WAS

Archived