Amaro and Pryor make Kiper's all-rookie team

Barkus

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Didn't realize that Pryor had 60 tackles. Honestly thought it would be in the 20's or 30's before I checked. He's no Vernon Gholston.

He has half a sack. Thats half more than Ghost has had his entire career...n he was supposed to have 20 sack seasons. 

What exactly did you see to come to that conclusion? I saw nothing to make me think his ceiling is anything more than serviceable in the right system. The only hope I have is the fact that I certain Pryor received either very poor or no coaching at all.

I saw a safety that was out of position a lot, made the wrong reads, but not one that got physically beaten - he was not coached properly, was playing mostly out of position with 4th string corners and he was learning the game.  

He showed me he has the ability to play the position it's just a matter of putting things together.

He's going to be VERY good.

Clinton-Dix.  By far.

Dix. (Source:  http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/C/ClinHa00.htm)

16 Games Played, 10 Starts. 1 INT, 1 Fumble Rec., 1.0 Sacks, 66 Tackles, 28 Assists, 6 Passes Defensed

Pryor (Source:  http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/P/PryoCa00.htm)

15 Games, 15 Starts, 0 INT, 0 Fumble Recs, 0.5 Sacks, 36 Tackles, 25 Assists, 2 Passes Defensed 

Yep, sure looks that way, I'd have to agree.

So why on Earth would the Haircut picks Pryor over Ha Ha then, one is forced to wonder?

Dix.

16 Games Played, 10 Starts. 1 INT, 1 Fumble Rec., 1.0 Sacks, 66 Tackles, 28 Assists, 6 Passes Defensed

Pryor

15 Games, 15 Starts, 0 INT, 0 Fumble Recs, 0.5 Sacks, 36 Tackles, 25 Assists, 2 Passes Defensed 

Yep, sure looks that way, I'd have to agree.

So why on Earth would the Haircut picks Pryor over Ha Ha then, one is forced to wonder?

He had Pryor ranked higher on his big board.

kiper is an idiot and obviously didnt want to sit thru watching jet games

I hope all Idziots draft picks turn into pro bowlers now that he gone :)

I don't know about anymore but the rumor was always Kiper barely watched tape on prospects and would rely on his contacts through ESPN to get all his intel.  

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2014/12/which_jets_made_mel_kiper_jrs_2014_all-rookie_team.html

Interesting that the jets had 2 guys make it. What if next year they show continued improvement and mcdougle comes back, shaq evans recovers and makes an impact, dozier is a starting guard, and IK and Reilly have bigger roles. How would idzik's draft look then???

I think with the right coaching, this draft won't look nearly as bad a year or two from now.  That is assuming that Mcdougle and Evans can stay healthy.   Pryor has a long way to go to justify his draft position...   Firing Idzik was the right move regardless; you can't whiff that badly with 12 picks and all that cap space.  

The athleticism is obviously there, both Amaro and Pryor could easily develop into quality starters. 

If Harrison Smith has the athleticism to thrive in this league I have no doubt that Calvin Pryor can.  Perhaps playing him at his position of strength, SS, and using Amaro as a strictly slot-receiver would see a boost to their stats.  Maybe this is what developing a rookie looks like.  Learning new systems/terminology/speed = making more mental mistakes.  Take those away and we have two high-character, physical players, who love football. 

that being said, they probably made Kiper's list based off name recognition.  

I don't know about anymore but the rumor was always Kiper barely watched tape on prospects and would rely on his contacts through ESPN to get all his intel.  

well if he watched the games like we did then he would have seen all the whiffs we did - couple a game until he was benched then a coulple more a game when he was forced back in there.

I dont care if he is suppose to be a SS and was playing out of position.  He cant spend his whole carrier in the box waiting for the ball carrier to run into him.

What exactly did you see to come to that conclusion? I saw nothing to make me think his ceiling is anything more than serviceable in the right system. The only hope I have is the fact that I certain Pryor received either very poor or no coaching at all.

I don't have any idea why you draft a strong safety number one and then proceed to play him out of position all year so a nobody vet can play his spot.  P{ryor's skills do not translate to free safety

Pryor looked like he had no idea where he was supposed to be on any given play.

Amaro looked like every other young skill position player that's been brought in here for the past six years.

They both suffered from a huge downgrade in coaching from their college days.

I think Amaro and Pryor will booth be good.  Sometimes it does not happen Year One.  Sorry, folks

i think safety is a particularly tough position to play as a rookie. you are constantly expected to make split second decisions, take the correct angles, etc.. all the things that are that much harder to do when the players you are facing are all 10x bette then you did in college. the game really has to slow down for you at some point, and that comes with experience.

I think with the right coaching, this draft won't look nearly as bad a year or two from now.  That is assuming that Mcdougle and Evans can stay healthy.   Pryor has a long way to go to justify his draft position...   Firing Idzik was the right move regardless; you can't whiff that badly with 12 picks and all that cap space.

This is the state of John Idzik's last draft ever: maybe the two guys on the IR don't suck. Lol

Also lol at anyone using Mel Kiper's opinion as proof of anything. Guaranteed the same people are bashing every word that comes out of his mouth at the end of April.

Didn't realize that Pryor had 60 tackles. Honestly thought it would be in the 20's or 30's before I checked. He's no Vernon Gholston.

Pryor has 36 tackles, not 60. You're adding in the assists.  36 tackles for a full time starting safety is awful.

from Warfish's post:  

Dix. (Source:  http://www.pro-footb.../C/ClinHa00.htm)

Pryor (Source:  http://www.pro-footb.../P/PryoCa00.htm)

Pryor has 36 tackles, not 60. You're adding in the assists.  36 tackles for a full time starting safety is awful.

from Warfish's post:  

Dix. (Source:  http://www.pro-footb.../C/ClinHa00.htm)

Pryor (Source:  http://www.pro-footb.../P/PryoCa00.htm)

why is it so hard to give him some benefit of the doubt? even the toughest of football evaluators Bill Parcells was willing to give rookies 3 years...Jets fans will probably boo Pryor game 1 next season.

Archived