Frank Reich?

Warfish

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No. It doesnt. It just means they felt the guy behind him gave them a better chance win and they were right. Manuel sitting and learning could have been a good thing for him in the future.

It wasnt a "ballsy" move. I just disagree with that all together.

It's called politics. He totally said the GM picked the wrong guy...with a first rounder BTW.

I like Pep Hamilton.  I like Kubaik.  Tom posted a rumor about Holmgren, I'd pee myself a little over that...and out of his coaching tree, I probably will get laughed at but I think I like Pat Shurmur too. haha.  Maybe not.  

I think what Ben McAdoo got out of Eli this year is probably the most under appreciated success stories in the NFL - career high's in completion %, yards and his best TD to INT ratio of his career.  I'm shocked he's not getting mentioned for interviews. 

EDIT: and I do like Quinn.  Jets and Gators on his resume.  I dig him the most of the common names. 

Interesting, Pep appears to posess a resume slightly inferior to that of Reich, but similar in many ways, including a lack of top-end Coordinator experience. 

Team(s) as a player 1993–1996 Howard University Team(s) as a coach/administrator 1997–2001

1999–2001

2007–2009

2011–2012

2013–present Howard University (QB)

Howard University (OC)

New York Jets (Offensive QC)

New York Jets (QB)

New York Jets (WR)

San Francisco 49ers (QB)

Chicago Bears (QB)

Stanford (WR)

Stanford (OC/QB)

Indianapolis Colts (OC)

Kubiak is very slightly better Rex, a guy with experience who went worse than .500, but with better talent than Rex had.

Holmgren is not realistic, and has been out of football for a while, and a flat out bust failure in his last stop (Cleveland).

I think the problem is there really are no "overwhelming, exciting" real-world candidates out there, every one of them carries significant risk/doubts, from previous failings, to a lack of experience, to being college coaches, to being too old/outdated/past their prime, etc.

As meh as you are with the names you dismiss, I am about the names you mention.  Kubiak, Zzzzzzzzz.   Some dude named Pep who was part of Herm Edwards staff and whose only real great success was when he had an elite QB?  Zzzzzzzzzz.  Holmgeezer?  Is he even still alive, I thought he died off when Chuck Knoll and Tom Landry died (sarcasm, he's old and olddddddddd).

Every damn candidate will be underwhelming it seems.

Interesting, Pep appears to posess a resume slightly inferior to that of Reich, but similar in many ways, including a lack of top-end Coordinator experience.

Team(s) as a player 1993–1996 Howard University Team(s) as a coach/administrator 1997–2001

1999–2001

2007–2009

2011–2012

2013–present Howard University (QB)

Howard University (OC)

New York Jets (Offensive QC)

New York Jets (QB)

New York Jets (WR)

San Francisco 49ers (QB)

Chicago Bears (QB)

Stanford (WR)

Stanford (OC/QB)

Indianapolis Colts (OC)

Kubiak is very slightly better Rex, a guy with experience who went worse than .500, but with better talent than Rex had.

Holmgren is not realistic, and has been out of football for a while, and a flat out bust failure in his last stop (Cleveland).

I think the problem is there really are no "overwhelming, exciting" real-world candidates out there, every one of them carries significant risk/doubts, from previous failings, to a lack of experience, to being college coaches, to being too old/outdated/past their prime, etc.

As meh as you are with the names you dismiss, I am about the names you mention. Kubiak, Zzzzzzzzz. Some dude named Pep who was part of Herm Edwards staff and whose only real great success was when he had an elite QB? Zzzzzzzzzz. Holmgeezer? Is he even still alive, I thought he died off when Chuck Knoll and Tom Landry died (sarcasm, he's old and olddddddddd).

Every damn candidate will be underwhelming it seems.

Yay!!! Go Jets!

I dont think it takes balls to bench a terrible player in favor of a better player.

You coulda told that to Rex because his MO seemed neutered when it regarded benching starters who ere under performing-Scott, Sanchez, Geno, Wilson, etc.

I keep reading that around here.  I dont think it takes balls to bench a terrible player in favor of a better player.  

Yeah, not big on that point, though I do like Marrone.

I don't think it takes special magic fortitude to bench a bad QB for Orton. Orton's one of the best backup QBs in the league, and has been. Manuel's hold on the job was always tenuous.

This is the worst candidate of them all. I can't even believe they are interviewing him.

I agree, his biggest accomplishments are backing up Jim Kelly and being friends with Boomer Esiason…he's slightly more qualified than Don Strock or Curtis Painter.

I'd prefer him over Marrone but I'd prefer Max or TomShane over Marrone

Thank you. I am going to be the head coach in that scenario.

Tom is being considered as a linebackers coach. Or special teams. 

Of all the names I've heard mentioned, this is the one I'm the least interested in.  There is nothing impressive on his resume and San Diego's offense regressed this year with him running the offense and calling plays.

Kind of looks like he needs more experience.  Don't mind that he's not profane--  Joe Gibbs was not vulgar either and he won

2 Super Bowls.   And for all his big talk... what did Rex ever win.?

Kind of looks like he needs more experience. Don't mind that he's not profane-- Joe Gibbs was not vulgar either and he won

2 Super Bowls. And for all his big talk... what did Rex ever win.?

Actually 3 Super Bowls and 5 NASCAR Cup Championships.

Dont know if anyone has read the article on Frank Reich in the NY Post but it goes to show you how much the scumbag media can hurt our chances of landing a top HC candidate. The last sentence says it all:

The NFL coaching carousel, which has been spinning furiously for the last week, will stop briefly Wednesday to drop off Frank Reich and Todd Bowles for their interviews with the Jets for the team’s vacant head coaching position.

Once Reich, the Chargers offensive coordinator, and Bowles, the Cardinals defensive coordinator, are interviewed, that will make six candidates the Jets will have spoken to in their search to replace Rex Ryan.

Though it’s possible the Jets could further expand their search, the only remaining known candidate who has yet to interview is Gary Kubiak, the Ravens offensive coordinator who said he does not want to interview until the Ravens’ playoff run is complete.

Dolphins director of college scouting Chris Grier interviewed Tuesday for the vacant general manager position.

Among the four coaches already interviewed by the Jets, it’s believed Seahawks defensive coordinator Dan Quinn and former Bills coach Doug Marrone are the early front-runners.

One person who believes Reich should very much be in the mix is former Jets quarterback Boomer Esiason, who roomed with Reich when they were in college at Maryland and has remained a close friend.

“I know one thing: Frank’s going to go into this meeting [Wednesday] and he’s going to blow [the Jets] away,’’ Esiason told The Post Tuesday.

Esiason, though, tempered his enthusiasm for Reich landing the Jets job because of how difficult a task he believes it will be. Having grown up on Long Island, played for the Jets and now a prominent member of the New York media landscape as the co-host of the WFAN morning drive-time radio show, Esiason is as tuned in to the difficulty of this market as anyone.

“If the Bills hired him or the Falcons hired him or some other smaller-market team hired him, I think he would really knock it out of the box,’’ Esiason said. “With the Jets, coaching this team in its current predicament is like walking through the trenches of World War I. It’s no-man’s land. It’s littered with potholes and blind spots and all sorts of issues that most coaches don’t have to deal with.”

“I would never tell him not to take the job because every coach has the belief in their own way of doing things, and [Reich] probably believes that whatever the issues are [with the Jets], that he is the elixir for those issues.’’

Esiason cited the ongoing “agenda-driven’’ smear campaign against Marrone by one New York newspaper as an example of how bad it can get here, saying he “doesn’t take anything’’ the paper “writes about the Jets seriously at all because it’s 100 percent agenda-driven, and it’s so painfully obvious.

“Unfortunately, sometimes even the most innocuous wrong-stated opinion becomes the narrative,’’ Esiason said. “Look what’s happening to Doug Marrone right now. Doug Marrone is a really good coach. I’ve said on the radio station that the guy that makes the most sense for me would be Doug Marrone.’’

There have been rampant erroneous reports that Marrone’s interview with the Jets went poorly. To the contrary, according to sources familiar with the proceedings, Marrone’s interview with the Jets went well. Sources, in fact, told The Post that Charley Casserly and Ron Wolf, the consultants whom Jets owner Woody Johnson hired to assist in the coach and GM search, had high praise for Marrone to Johnson after his interview.

But all the coaching candidates are being told by Johnson that he wants to let the interview “process’’ play out. Johnson appears determined to not rush into anything or anyone, and, reading the tea leaves, it looks like he wants to fill the general manager job first — or at the very least, hire his new coach and GM in tandem.

As for Reich, Esiason called him “a brilliant tactician and a very smart football person.” Esiason said he has “had conversations about’’ the Jets job with Reich, warning him of the pitfalls, telling him: “No matter where you go, if you’re a winning head coach, you are the savior and beloved in that city.”

Here in New York, if that happened, the adulation and the amount of credit that will come your way will be off the charts if you can get it done. However, if you can’t get it done, it’s the opposite of that: People turn on you pretty quickly.

“He’s low-key publicly, but he’s not low-key internally,” Esiason said. “He has the presence, he has the organization, he has the verbal skills and he has the credibility.’’

“I told him: ‘For your sake, I hope you get the offer, but for my sake and for our sake, I hope you get an offer somewhere else,’’’ Esiason said.

“I told him: ‘For your sake, I hope you get the offer, but for my sake and for our sake, I hope you get an offer somewhere else,’’’ Esiason said.

Says everything you need to know about the New York Sports Media.

They're not, in ANY way, interested in what's best for the Jets.

They are purely interested in ratings, hype, controversy and sh*t to write that will piss people off enough to keep them reading/watching.

And most New Yorker sports fans are too stupid to turn them off.  To the contrary, they eat that sh*t up.

I didn't know until recently that Reich was born and spent his early years on Long Island. Freeport I believe. I like that. Lets see how he does today, maybe we will hear something.

Quinn was born and raised in Morristown NJ.  I like that even better.

They are purely interested in ratings, hype, controversy and sh*t to write that will piss people off enough to keep them reading/watching.

And most New Yorker sports fans are too stupid to turn them off.  To the contrary, they eat that sh*t up.

Parasites all of them. They root for failure.

correct, their goal is to driver readership, viewership and  and web hits. I don't understand why some fans expect the to behave like we do towards the team.  Sports teams want to suck up the money and will lay in bead with the media, very few are like Bobby Knight and BB and just refuse to play their game.

40 years ago, not every sports game was televised and the print and tv media acted as a channel to provide information that fans were not exposed to except on the radio broadcasts. The media treated their jobs as journalists. Now with the advent of every game on TV and the internet as a source of "news" they now go more for entertainment and not real news in an effort to keep market share..   

And most New Yorker sports fans are too stupid to turn them off. To the contrary, they eat that sh*t up.

Oh please. Is it wrong? If a good buddy was in the same situation you'd say the same thing.

Archived